Packer Draft Needs and 1st Round

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately neither Spriggs nor Murphy are best suited to line up at guard currently leaving Barclay as the best option to replace Lang. Scary thought.

While I expect Randall and Rollins to perform at a better level this season it's unrealistic to expect either of them or House to develop into a top 15 player at the position. Therefore adding a #1 cornerback is the most important task for Thompson before the start of the season.

I'm not sure but I thought Spriggs played well at guard last season? so even if it's not his best position, which would be left tackle, I think he could probably play it at a relatively high level and he might be the best option. and was shields a top 15 cornerback? he wasn't top 10.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep. Didn't say a 6th round pick changing position was ready to start. I'd venture that adding strength and weight between years one and two in the NFL is a given at almost every line position.

While it's possible Murphy adds significant weight and strength this offseason it's far from a given though.

I'm not sure but I thought Spriggs played well at guard last season? so even if it's not his best position, which would be left tackle, I think he could probably play it at a relatively high level and he might be the best option. and was shields a top 15 cornerback? he wasn't top 10.

Barclay leapfrogged Spriggs on the depth chart at guard before the NFCCG replacing Taylor once he went down. That isn't a promising sign for Spriggs at the position.

Shields was a decent #1 cornerback for most of his tenure with the Packers. I don't expect any of the CBs currently on the roster to perform at a similar level next season.

Sky King

Reaction score
He looked like he got rag-dolled fairly often at guard to me, offering some resistance but hardly dominating anyone that lined-up across from him. Mostly he seemed to just be barely holding his own, if that. TT wouldn't have moved-up that high-up in the draft to select a guard, anyway. Guard has historically been a round 4 position or later to him. He doesn't even hang-on to his Pro-bowl guards. The team was simply down to having Spriggs play the guard position (through attrition) at times last season.

Spriggs future is likely at tackle, backing-up the starters for now as he further develops his NFL skillset, and then later taking over for Bulaga once age, injury, and/or his cap number finally exceeds TT's retention parameters.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm starting to seriously think the Packers are gonna draft Mixon in 1st round. Taking him would be taking the "best available player".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm starting to seriously think the Packers are gonna draft Mixon in 1st round. Taking him would be taking the "best available player".

But wait, someone was just telling me that they must take a corner or pass rusher at #29 or else they will suck forever. Normally I would discount it as forum chatter, but I have it on good authority that this person knows exactly what is going to happen in the upcoming draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it's possible Murphy adds significant weight and strength this offseason it's far from a given though.

Barclay leapfrogged Spriggs on the depth chart at guard before the NFCCG replacing Taylor once he went down. That isn't a promising sign for Spriggs at the position.

Shields was a decent #1 cornerback for most of his tenure with the Packers. I don't expect any of the CBs currently on the roster to perform at a similar level next season.

I think I'm less worried about Spriggs than most because, before the draft ever happened, I was of the opinion that he was going to need a redshirt year to get his strength where it needs to be. We will find out if that happened, but I totally expected the issues we saw from his last season regardless of who drafted him or where he was playing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And ted has hung on to his pro bowl guards and when the years and injuries started adding up along with inflated salaries, then he let them go. But while their best years were ahead of them, he absolutely held on to them. I predict neither ever has a year as good as what they've had in GB again.

As for spriggs, he did a respectable job. Had some bad plays, but worked into it ok after a few snaps. If he doesn't get stronger or more technical with coaching he won't get any better, but I expect he will. I also go back and forth if they keep him at the top tackle backup or play him at guard on a regular basis if he is the best guard prospect we have

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But wait, someone was just telling me that they must take a corner or pass rusher at #29 or else they will suck forever. Normally I would discount it as forum chatter, but I have it on good authority that this person knows exactly what is going to happen in the upcoming draft.

Nowhere have I posted that I know what's gonna happen in the upcoming draft. With that said I would be 100 percent on board with the Packers taking Mixon in 1st. To much talent to pass up here.

In this scenario I would welcome your Bowser pick in 2nd round. They could still probably get Sutton in the 3rd if they moved up a little.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nowhere have I posted that I know what's gonna happen in the upcoming draft. With that said I would be 100 percent on board with the Packers taking Mixon in 1st. To much talent to pass up here.

In this scenario I would welcome your Bowser pick in 2nd round. They could still probably get Sutton in the 3rd if they moved up a little.

You literally just told me yesterday that they can't pass on corner or edge regardless of value because of the needs at those positions.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You literally just told me yesterday that they can't pass on corner or edge regardless of value because of the needs at those positions.

They passed on those players in free agency so nothing is off the table. I like the Mixon pick because they can't screw it up.

What I would do and what TT and Co. do are two different things. I've put out my mock which provides value and addresses needs as well. Do I expect TT to follow it to a tee? Hell no.

The thing about Mixon is if you insert him into what the Packers already have on offense then watch out. By the Packers moves so far this offseason it appears the plan is to try and outscore everyone so the Mixon pick shouldn't surprise anyone.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They passed on those players in free agency so nothing is off the table. I like the Mixon pick because they can't screw it up.

What I would do and what TT and Co. do are two different things. I've put out my mock which provides value and addresses needs as well. Do I expect TT to follow it to a tee? Hell no.

The thing about Mixon is if you insert him into what the Packers already have on offense then watch out. By the Packers moves so far this offseason it appears the plan is to try and outscore everyone so the Mixon pick shouldn't surprise everyone.

Translated: If I like someone at a different position, it's a good idea but if someone else does I'll make sure to tell them that it can't happen.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Translated: If I like someone at a different position, it's a good idea but if someone else does I'll make sure to tell them that it can't happen.

Sorry, when I see red flags and someone talking about Tyus Bowser or TJ Watt in 1st round I'm gonna say something.

Do you need a band-aid?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think I'm less worried about Spriggs than most because, before the draft ever happened, I was of the opinion that he was going to need a redshirt year to get his strength where it needs to be. We will find out if that happened, but I totally expected the issues we saw from his last season regardless of who drafted him or where he was playing.

Makes you wonder if it was smart to give up three picks to move up to select him though if the Packers thought about it the same way.

As for spriggs, he did a respectable job. Had some bad plays, but worked into it ok after a few snaps. If he doesn't get stronger or more technical with coaching he won't get any better, but I expect he will. I also go back and forth if they keep him at the top tackle backup or play him at guard on a regular basis if he is the best guard prospect we have

I would fully expect the Packers to start Spriggs at guard if he presents the best option the right side. He could still remain the primary backup at tackle.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if it was smart to give up three picks to move up to select him though if the Packers thought about it the same way.

I don't think it was, but hopefully they can find a way to get him on the field this year and return some value.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sorry, when I see red flags and someone talking about Tyus Bowser or TJ Watt in 1st round I'm gonna say something.

Do you need a band-aid?

Would a band aid bring some semblance of coherence to your points?

If so, yes.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Would a band aid bring some semblance of coherence to your points?

If so, yes.

I believe my points are very clear with "coherence". How Tyus Bowser who is an undersized player from the University of Houston is even mentioned in same breath as Charles Harris who dominated SEC competition is beyond me. TJ Watt has an underdeveloped lower half which concerns me using the no.29 pick on him. The only thing that gives the Packers drafting Watt any legs is he played at UW but it's not like there is some long standing history of streamlining talent from the Badgers to the Packers.

Charles Harris is the clear pick at 29 unless the Packers see Mixon as someone to good to pass up at an impact position.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) why worry about what anyone else thinks? Just state your opinion.

B) I hope TT trades down in a deep draft. The downside of this would be listening/following online til pick #29 only to be told "nothing to see here folks...come back tomorrow"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I believe my points are very clear with "coherence". How Tyus Bowser who is an undersized player from the University of Houston is even mentioned in same breath as Charles Harris who dominated SEC competition is beyond me. TJ Watt has an underdeveloped lower half which concerns me using the no.29 pick on him. The only thing that gives the Packers drafting Watt any legs is he played at UW but it's not like there is some long standing history of streamlining talent from the Badgers to the Packers.

Charles Harris is the clear pick at 29 unless the Packers see Mixon as someone to good to pass up at an impact position.

It doesn't both me if you don't like the prospects that I like or if you like prospects that I don't.

But you're routinely contradicting yourself in trying to make your points and, while amusing, it can be a little hard to keep up ;).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It doesn't both me if you don't like the prospects that I like or if you like prospects that I don't.

But you're routinely contradicting yourself in trying to make your points and, while amusing, it can be a little hard to keep up ;).

You obviously don't "Get It"

Go back to loving your 3 Cone drill.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Thanks, I will.

Let me know if you flip flop again on what positions we are allowed to discuss for the 1st round.

I'm interested in players that will help the Packers win a Super Bowl and not players that will fulfill some "3 cone fantasy" for you.

I think you are having a hard time deciphering what I would do and what the Packer will do and that's fine.

Mixon is a huge X factor as everyone knows and changes everything so the Packers passing on him might be to much value ultimately to pass up. I bet Mixon runs a mean 3 cone too. ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm interested in players that will help the Packers win a Super Bowl and not players that will fulfill some "3 cone fantasy" for you.

I think you are having a hard time deciphering what I would do and what the Packer will do and that's fine.

Mixon is a huge X factor as everyone knows and changes everything so the Packers passing on him might be to much value ultimately to pass up. I bet Mixon runs a mean 3 cone too. ;)

Negative. I'm pointing out that yesterday you literally told me that the Packers couldn't draft value that falls because they have to address needs. Today, you're suggesting the opposite.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Negative. I'm pointing out that yesterday you literally told me that the Packers couldn't draft value that falls because they have to address needs. Today, you're suggesting the opposite.

What I said yesterday is TT's failure to address needs in free agency leaves the Packers having to fill needs on draft day which can cause some "reaching". Your turning it into something completely different.

If I was running the Packers it would of never gotten to this point because whether right or wrong I would of already adressed some of the glaring needs the Packers have on defense in free agency leaving the draft open to draft the best available player.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I said yesterday is TT's failure to address needs in free agency leaves the Packers having to fill needs on draft day which can cause some "reaching". Your turning it into something completely different.

If I was running the Packers it would of never gotten to this point because whether right or wrong I would of already adressed some of the glaring needs the Packers have on defense in free agency leaving the draft open to draft the best available player.

Yesterday, I said I would take Lamp of the choices given because of the value even though it wasn't the biggest need on the team. You said this:

While it would be nice to have the luxury of drafting the best overall player at a position Thompson hasn't set this team up in free agency to do so. Too many other pressing needs to go "guard shopping" in 1st.

Then today you said this:

I don't know if you forgot or what, but clearly yesterday you said the needs were too important at edge and corner to draft another position regardless of value. Today you said you would take Mixon because the talent would be too good to pass up on.

So you're saying both. If you love Mixon and not Lamp, it's whatever. I just found it funny that you were critical of my opinion yesterday and now you apparently share it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yesterday, I said I would take Lamp of the choices given because of the value even though it wasn't the biggest need on the team. You said this:

Then today you said this:

I don't know if you forgot or what, but clearly yesterday you said the needs were too important at edge and corner to draft another position regardless of value. Today you said you would take Mixon because the talent would be too good to pass up on.

So you're saying both. If you love Mixon and not Lamp, it's whatever. I just found it funny that you were critical of my opinion yesterday and now you apparently share it.

So now were gonna compare a game changing RB to a Guard. Sorry.

Mixon is a top 5 player and Lamp is Guard that might drop because he is a guard.

Members online

Latest posts