Packer Draft Needs and 1st Round

Reaction score
http://thehashtag.us/packers-must-fill-needs-as-title-window-slowly-closes/

I wrote this article looking at who we may can hope fall to us in the draft. Different scenarios, etc...

The article picture was from my first game at Lambeau. Hope you guys enjoy and let me know what you think.
Nicely done very professional feel IMO.
As much as we need a CB, I'm feeling more like a TJ Watt pick could bring a higher grade of production as a 1st pick.
I'm contemplating how we can get several producers that can be good enough to start by midseason or thereabouts. My gut tells me between Randall/Rollins one or the other will make a significant improvement this year. I think we can get away with a 2nd round pick at CB actually and still get a modest improvement, but improvement nonetheless.
I think I'd strongly consider by the 3rd round we trade up to early or middle of the one of the second day picks to get our guy. We have a slew of picks next year and I feel like we can either sacrifice a mid round pick this year to move up and/or offer to sweeten the deal with another pick from 2018 in similar fashion to how we got Spriggs.
I'd be pleased to see us lock down a solid pass rusher, a Corner and either a RB or OT by early 2nd day..say by pick 75 or so. Then we can work on our depth with our remaining picks.
I still feel like we are 1 short term veteran FA signing away from making this come together this year. By filling one spot like OG, CB or RB with a trade deal or FA signing, we can narrow our scope of priorities. We're spread to thin to cover all these holes and get depth without some crafty maneuvering and a bit of luck IMO. When the Great Roman armies were attacked by superior numbers they hastily consolidated their men they didn't fan out trying to cover too much ground. While it still cost them casualties they fought from a position of strength and imposed their will on the enemy.
We'd be better off this year with 3 starting caliber additions than 8 mediocre picks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And which of the 256 draft picks this year is guaranteed to be a starter? OK now how about after #20?
Nobody is ever guaranteed to start and we both know that so I'm not sure why you think I'm ignorant enough to take that bait.
But I know for a fact that 1st round picks make the probowl 4X as often as a 2nd rounders. And 10X as often as 3rd rounders.
Waiting until the 3rd day is not an option in a failing system.
Now same ? For you.
What would YOU do to fix all these holes in this draft?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dcanddinky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Watt AND King or Humphrey is there who do y'all think we take?

If Watt AND Cook or McCaffery is there who do y'all think we take?

Reaction score

From what I've read Watt has a great deal of upside but probably needs some time to transition so he may not necessarily be an elite player out of the gate. I'd take Watt I like his pedegree
That's a great option though I'd be happy with any of these guys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I start by asking myself who I think is a virtual lock to be gone by #29. This is how I see it:

QB (2): Trubisky and Watson
RB (2): Fournette and McCaffrey
WR(2): Davis and Williams
TE (2): Howard and Njoku
OL (3): Bolles, Lamp, and Ramczyk
DL (1): Allen
EDGE (2): Garrett and Barnett
LB (2): Foster and Red****
CB (3): Lattimore, Conley, and Humphrey
S (2): Hooker and Adams

That's 21 players. So now of the players remaining, who do you like? For me:

QB (0)
RB (1): Kamara
WR (1): Ross
TE (0)
OL (0)
DL (1): McDowell
EDGE (4): Watt, Bowser, Willis, and Harris
LB (1): Davis
CB (3): White, King, and Awuzie
S (1): Melifonwu

So that's 12 more guys. So of the 12, who matches a need? I would qualify CB, Edge, RB, and OL as the primary needs.

That leaves 9 guys: Tre White, Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie, Malik McDowell (counting him even though he's DL because of pass rush), Watt, Bowser, Willis, Harris, and Kamara.

It looks most likely to me that the marriage of value and need will come at edge rusher, or potentially McDowell if the FO believes that they can get him going in the right direction with the culture of their lockerroom.

Further supporting this likelihood is the fact that Thompson has only ever spent 4 picks on non-LOS players: Rodgers, Hawk, HHCD, and Randall.

DL and Edge are his most drafted positions in round one.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

In scenario #1 I would take Humphrey, just think he would be what this secondary needs. He has good size, speed, and plays physical. He's also durable, starting every game since redshirting, along w/ being a defensive standout on special teams.
In scenario #2 I'd take Watt. I just think RB in the 1st is too early, I think the middle rds are filled w/ RB's that can contribute right out of the blocks, and the potential that Watt may offer is too good to pass up over a RB @ #29

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I start by asking myself who I think is a virtual lock to be gone by #29. This is how I see it:

QB (2): Trubisky and Watson
RB (2): Fournette and McCaffrey
WR(2): Davis and Williams
TE (2): Howard and Njoku
OL (3): Bolles, Lamp, and Ramczyk
DL (1): Allen
EDGE (2): Garrett and Barnett
LB (2): Foster and Red****
CB (3): Lattimore, Conley, and Humphrey
S (2): Hooker and Adams

That's 21 players. So now of the players remaining, who do you like? For me:

QB (0)
RB (1): Kamara
WR (1): Ross
TE (0)
OL (0)
DL (1): McDowell
EDGE (4): Watt, Bowser, Willis, and Harris
LB (1): Davis
CB (3): White, King, and Awuzie
S (1): Melifonwu

So that's 12 more guys. So of the 12, who matches a need? I would qualify CB, Edge, RB, and OL as the primary needs.

That leaves 9 guys: Tre White, Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie, Malik McDowell (counting him even though he's DL because of pass rush), Watt, Bowser, Willis, Harris, and Kamara.

It looks most likely to me that the marriage of value and need will come at edge rusher, or potentially McDowell if the FO believes that they can get him going in the right direction with the culture of their lockerroom.

Further supporting this likelihood is the fact that Thompson has only ever spent 4 picks on non-LOS players: Rodgers, Hawk, HHCD, and Randall.

DL and Edge are his most drafted positions in round one.

McDowell is another pick that would leave me flabbergasted. Best draft talent in years and Thompson will find a way to screw it up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McDowell is another pick that would leave me flabbergasted. Best draft talent in years and Thompson will find a way to screw it up.

It's so cool how you always know who is going to be good and who won't.

McDowell is a top 5 talent in this class. Comparable, when he's trying, to Deforest Buckner. He just doesn't play hard all the time. If a team can unlock his potential, they will get one of the better players out of the lot.

This is why I always qualify any mention of him with the comment that it would totally depend on their opinion of him as a person. If they believe they can get him right, then fine. If they're worried about it, pass all day long.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's so cool how you always know who is going to be good and who won't.

McDowell is a top 5 talent in this class. Comparable, when he's trying, to Deforest Buckner. He just doesn't play hard all the time. If a team can unlock his potential, they will get one of the better players out of the lot.

This is why I always qualify any mention of him with the comment that it would totally depend on their opinion of him as a person. If they believe they can get him right, then fine. If they're worried about it, pass all day long.

I know all about McDowell. How often do guys with these labels pan out? Almost never.

Not to mention DL isn't a great area of need for the Packers as much as other spots are. Last thing we need in the 1st round is a D-tackle that plays when he wants.

If they want to add some D-line then they can pick up Vincent Taylor later in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know all about McDowell. How often do guys with these labels pan out? Almost never.

Not to mention DL isn't a great area of need for the Packers as much as other spots are. Last thing we need in the 1st round is a D-tackle that plays when he wants.

If they want to add some D-line then they can pick up Vincent Taylor later in the draft.

Which is why I've caveated the suggestion every single time I brought it up. Was that somehow not clear?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Which is why I've caveated the suggestion every single time I brought it up. Was that somehow not clear?

You said "potentially McDowell". I believe you were pertaining to the Packers drafting him in 1st which they obviously shouldn't.

This is probably Thompson's most important draft since he has been in Green Bay and there is very little margin for error if any with all the holes he has created. No time to be putting all the eggs in the basket of lazy players or experimental projects or **** picks.

OP
OP
D

dcanddinky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree this draft is the biggest. Can't find out 2-3 years from now our picks bombed and Rodgers be out of his prime. All our picks on defense must contribute in order for us to win another Superbowl

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You said "potentially McDowell". I believe you were pertaining to the Packers drafting him in 1st which they obviously shouldn't.

This is probably Thompson's most important draft since he has been in Green Bay and there is very little margin for error if any with all the holes he has created. No time to be putting all the eggs in the basket of lazy players or experimental projects or **** picks.

Good job finishing that sentence.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree this draft is the biggest. Can't find out 2-3 years from now our picks bombed and Rodgers be out of his prime. All our picks on defense must contribute in order for us to win another Superbowl

Didn't need to be this way but yes that's how Thompson has it set up at this point. I belive he is gonna screw it up too.

The players that we need will be there when Packers draft. He still has to pick the right ones.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody is ever guaranteed to start and we both know that so I'm not sure why you think I'm ignorant enough to take that bait.
But I know for a fact that 1st round picks make the probowl 4X as often as a 2nd rounders. And 10X as often as 3rd rounders.
Waiting until the 3rd day is not an option in a failing system.
Now same ? For you.
What would YOU do to fix all these holes in this draft?
You make it sound easy to combine the lower picks to move up and grab immediate starters. More shots at the targets should get more hits. That said, I'd swap everything after the third to move into the third another time or two if possible.
To fix holes? I don't see as many gaping holes as some on here. I've said elsewhere that IMO TT plugged his G hole in the OL last year with his draft. He tries to stay one year ahead. I don't see RB as a hole, more like an upgrade if possible. Same for WR. That wasn't on my radar two months ago but it looks like a decent WR could be in play. I expect one of Randall or Rollins or House to be competent enough to be a top 10-15 or so CB. I fail to see all three failing when all have show glimpses of being sufficient in the past. An upgrade is possibly on tap here as well as on the DL. The only gaping hole I see is edge rusher. I've lost the expectation of Clay ever being the claymaker again. Shit, get two of the best edge rushers available at the time and put Bloodline back in the middle. He impressed me more there two seasons ago than outside last season. You're paying the man, put him where he does some good, even if his paycheck is for someplace else. Or ditch him. Either way you need a starter and an injury replacement option. Also, safety could come into play this draft to have around for next season's FA melee.
My draft priorities? Edge (2) [one could be DE], CB, safety/ILB tweener. All other positions are negotiable as upgrades or sliders that can be developed.

Reaction score
You make it sound easy to combine the lower picks to move up and grab immediate starters. More shots at the targets should get more hits. That said, I'd swap everything after the third to move into the third another time or two if possible.
To fix holes? I don't see as many gaping holes as some on here. I've said elsewhere that IMO TT plugged his G hole in the OL last year with his draft. He tries to stay one year ahead. I don't see RB as a hole, more like an upgrade if possible. Same for WR. That wasn't on my radar two months ago but it looks like a decent WR could be in play. I expect one of Randall or Rollins or House to be competent enough to be a top 10-15 or so CB. I fail to see all three failing when all have show glimpses of being sufficient in the past. An upgrade is possibly on tap here as well as on the DL. The only gaping hole I see is edge rusher. I've lost the expectation of Clay ever being the claymaker again. Shit, get two of the best edge rushers available at the time and put Bloodline back in the middle. He impressed me more there two seasons ago than outside last season. You're paying the man, put him where he does some good, even if his paycheck is for someplace else. Or ditch him. Either way you need a starter and an injury replacement option. Also, safety could come into play this draft to have around for next season's FA melee.
My draft priorities? Edge (2) [one could be DE], CB, safety/ILB tweener. All other positions are negotiable as upgrades or sliders that can be developed.
Interesting. I've always been an advocate of us using pressure to create results. You'll hear me rant occasionally about rushing just 3 and dropping 8. Nothing bothers me more than allowing a QB to pick us apart. I know it's an available scheme, but when our opponent is just nearing FG range or backed up inside their 5 yard line you never rush 3. Rush 10 maybe?!! (Being fiscetious).
Creating pressure EARLY is also important because it sets the tempo and can force teams QBs to deviate from their primary game plan which is normally the most effective one. They study our film also right?
I've also been wondering if Elliott or Fackrell is ready to take that next step with an increase in snaps (particularly Jerome). They may not be every down players but I think we could see these guys step up with a bigger work load.

Most important. Happy Easter to you and your family. Enjoy the holiday

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

watt in both scenarios. no chance we take cook or McCaffery. I could see us taking king but prob not Humphrey from what I hear he can't defend the deep ball well

D

Deleted member 6794

To fix holes? I don't see as many gaping holes as some on here. I've said elsewhere that IMO TT plugged his G hole in the OL last year with his draft. He tries to stay one year ahead. I don't see RB as a hole, more like an upgrade if possible. I expect one of Randall or Rollins or House to be competent enough to be a top 10-15 or so CB. I fail to see all three failing when all have show glimpses of being sufficient in the past.

Unfortunately neither Spriggs nor Murphy are best suited to line up at guard currently leaving Barclay as the best option to replace Lang. Scary thought.

While I expect Randall and Rollins to perform at a better level this season it's unrealistic to expect either of them or House to develop into a top 15 player at the position. Therefore adding a #1 cornerback is the most important task for Thompson before the start of the season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately neither Spriggs nor Murphy are best suited to line up at guard currently leaving Barclay as the best option to replace Lang. Scary thought.
I think this may be part of Ted's view of Murphy before last season's draft:
Weaknesses: While he plays the part of a tackle on college film, some scouts worry if his athleticism at the next level will allow him to be an effective enough player against some of the elite pass-rushing threats--especially on the edge at either tackle position. Most project him as either a right tackle or a guard at the next level, but his arm length and build should serve him well at either spot.
Overview: Aside from mocks and breakdowns, part of the draft season includes contradictions. With Murphy, many believe he isn't athletic to be an NFL left tackle, yet they believe he has the versatility to play right tackle and/or inside. If surrounded by a solid supporting cast, as he was at Stanford in his four years there, Murphy has a shot to be a very good left guard and/or a solid right tackle in the pros. Whoever drafts him will need to work with him a little bit on his footwork technique, but they'll be getting a sound, smart player with a good background.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I truly believe Murphy would have to add some weight and significant strength to successfully play at guard.
Yep. Didn't say a 6th round pick changing position was ready to start. I'd venture that adding strength and weight between years one and two in the NFL is a given at almost every line position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I truly believe Murphy would have to add some weight and significant strength to successfully play at guard.
I doubt he's pulled a Raji/Lacy/Pickett and has been laying around on the coach eating cheeseburgers this winter. If he has, he probably won't make it through camp. I expect him to compete at RG.