Packer Draft Needs and 1st Round

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So now were gonna compare a game changing RB to a Guard. Sorry.

Mixon is a top 5 player and Lamp is Guard that might drop because he is a guard.

Again, if you don't like the same players as I do that's fine. It doesn't matter. But if you're going to tell me we can't draft value that falls because of needs, and then advocate for doing exactly that, I'm going to point it out.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if we don't trade up, we'll be looking at the 4th or 5th guys at positions we need.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Again, if you don't like the same players as I do that's fine. It doesn't matter. But if you're going to tell me we can't draft value that falls because of needs, and then advocate for doing exactly that, I'm going to point it out.

I have no problem with Lamp but I do feel Guard is a spot that can be adequately replaced in later rounds. If Thompson doesn't believe he can replace Lang in mid rounds then sure go get Lamp. I have no problem with any move that involves protecting Aaron Rodgers.

As far as Mixon whether you like him or not he takes the Packers offense to a whole new level which needs to be considered.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with Lamp but I do feel Guard is a spot that can be adequately replaced in later rounds. If Thompson doesn't believe he can replace Lang in mid rounds then sure go get Lamp. I have no problem with any move that involves protecting Aaron Rodgers.

As far as Mixon whether you like him or not he takes the Packers offense to a whole new level which needs to be considered.

Hide your wife hide your kids, Joe Mixon's coming to punch their faces.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of BPA but rather BVA. Which player is most likely to help your squad the most. To me our pass defense was so awful last year that until we fix it we simply will not be a superbowl team. Unless we're able to pick up Jason McCourty in FA i woudn't even think about drafting an OL or RB that high. This is a draft deep in edge rusher and cb talent, we should look to both positions in rounds 1 and 2.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tre'davious White is the player i'd prefer but Id also settle on Watt. White reminds me of a Sam Shields type cover corner, someone who will lock people down but just don't expect him to tackle. Watt could actually be a steal at the position. His injury history was limited to his play at a different position type, H-back/TE, but ever since he moved to OLB and hasn't had to cut as much his knees have been fine. I see him turning into a big strong 6'5 260+ pound elephant end who could be moved all over the defense. Otherwise I also like Bowser who looks like a prototype 34 olb.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Mixon I don't think any team is going to take him in the first. The are even rumors that he might not even be drafted.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Some might argue, picking Mixon in the draft, would take the Packers organization to a whole new level, which also would need to be considered.....I will let you decide which direction that is. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Some might argue, picking Mixon in the draft, would take the Packers organization to a whole new level, which also would need to be considered.....I will let you decide which direction that is. ;)

I'll say it one more time. If White or Conley or one of the top two receivers isn't there the the safest pick for the Packers is Harris or Lamp of who will be available and where I have posted I like Harris. I would put Willis in this group but I don't expect him there either.

These guys below are not of the safer pick category in 1st round IMO. If TT wants to gamble on them he can go right ahead.

Watt, Mixon, Bowser, Humphrey, Peppers, Adoree Jackson, Wilson or Delvin Cook for that matter.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Every time I watch one of the good games from Malik McDowell, I start to wonder if the Packers could get him right and playing hard all the time. Only they can make even an educated guess in answer to that question, but my goodness that guy can be great. I genuinely believe he's the #2 overall prospect in this class when he wants to be.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That "when he wants to be" for a 1st rd pick makes me want to balk. Players like that scare the $h!t out of me.

Totally agree. We have seen too many of those types players come into the NFL and leave it. When I read about an "under achiever" I want to read that his upside just hasn't been reached yet, but is definitely there with some coaching and/or weight room. Hearing that someone "takes plays off" or "not always motivated" sets off a big flashing neon sign in my head that says "I've been paid, I can coast now." I could be wrong, but I think Damarious Randall's early success went to his head and if that is the case, only he can fix that, no amount of coaching can.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll say it one more time. If White or Conley or one of the top two receivers isn't there the the safest pick for the Packers is Harris or Lamp of who will be available and where I have posted I like Harris. I would put Willis in this group but I don't expect him there either.

I would be extremely shocked if Thompson selects a guard in the first round.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That "when he wants to be" for a 1st rd pick makes me want to balk. Players like that scare the $h!t out of me.
Me too. We went down that road with Raji. I'd prefer a safer pick. I'm still coming back to Watt. He seems very safe to me.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I watch one of the good games from Malik McDowell, I start to wonder if the Packers could get him right and playing hard all the time. Only they can make even an educated guess in answer to that question, but my goodness that guy can be great. I genuinely believe he's the #2 overall prospect in this class when he wants to be.

Reminds me of BJ Raji and Jerel Worthy, albeit with a different body type.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be too and that's why unless the Packers trade back I expect there first round pick to be Charles Harris.

Isn't Charles supposed to go top 20? I would never take a guard in the first and besides this is such a weak OL crop that Lamp's stock is likely higher than it would be in any other year. Come on the guy is a conversion player from a minor conference.

TT hasn't selected a designated guard(a guy selected to play guard) before round 3 since Darryn Colledge and after that it was Jason Spitz in round 3, neither one of whom worked out. Since then the highest selected draft pick at the position has been in the 5th round, if anything Teddy's valuing of the guard position has been justified by his own drafting experience.

There will likely be cats at the CB and Pass rush positions available who would have gone top 20 and maybe even top 15 in other years. When guys like Watt and White put up the combine performances and measurables that they put up, with their college production, and they still can't break into the top half of the first round that's saying something big time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Reminds me of BJ Raji and Jerel Worthy, albeit with a different body type.

Yeah, I don't think the issue with him is conditioning like it's always been with Raji, but more effort level, attitude, and coachability. At least that's what you read.

The team is going to have to decide if they think the kid is toxic. But he's 20 years old. And "effort" has been a knock on a lot of college DT's that have gone on to be very good in the NFL (KK Short for instance). Defensive linemen are rotated much more heavily in the NFL than they typically are in college.

I am not advocating for him, as the most important part of the evaluation I have zero access to. If he's there and they pass, I will not complain. Because knuckleheads bust regularly.

But if by some chance they get him in the room and believe that they can unlock his potential, then I'd be pretty excited to be honest. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic when I say that he's the 2nd overall player in this class when he wants to be.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Isn't Charles supposed to go top 20? I would never take a guard in the first and besides this is such a weak OL crop that Lamp's stock is likely higher than it would be in any other year. Come on the guy is a conversion player from a minor conference.

TT hasn't selected a designated guard(a guy selected to play guard) before round 3 since Darryn Colledge and after that it was Jason Spitz in round 3, neither one of whom worked out. Since then the highest selected draft pick at the position has been in the 5th round, if anything Teddy's valuing of the guard position has been justified by his own drafting experience.

There will likely be cats at the CB and Pass rush positions available who would have gone top 20 and maybe even top 15 in other years. When guys like Watt and White put up the combine performances and measurables that they put up, with their college production, and they still can't break into the top half of the first round that's saying something big time.

What did you find especially impressive about White's metrics?

If people don't want a guard in round 1, I think that makes sense. I'm just saying that Lamp is really good.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt with his blend of size and strength he has a talent base comparable to Richard Seymour, but I just wouldnt trust him in this draft. Now if we were more stable on the back end of our defense maybe Id take a chance on him, just not this year.

Members online

Latest posts