Pack win,can we declare a winner in Thompson vs. Favre?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted Thompson can declare victory over Brett Favre | Cheesehead TV

This is a interesting question

Yesterday morning, our very own Alex Tallitsch of the Packers Lounge called in to ESPN Milwaukee's Packers show "Green and Gold Today" and asked an excellent question. (Why he chooses to ask such illuminating questions on their show but only talks nonsense on ours is beyond me...)

Alex's question: Depending on the outcome of Sunday's game, can we declare a winner in Thompson vs. Favre?
Bill Johnson and Jason Wilde were pretty magnanimous in their answers, saying that both sides were "right" when it came to the messy divorce between the Packers and their legendary quarterback. And while that may be true, it doesn't answer the question.

Who won?

From where I'm sitting, even if the Packers lose to Favre and the Vikings on Sunday, Ted Thompson is clearly the winner.

I don't have to rehash it all for you. You know the backstory.

Thompson came in and started cleaning up the mess left by Mike Sherman, in part by getting rid of veterans and going young.

Favre wanted veterans brought in to help him win. Thompson preached a team-first mantra and toward the end of his Packers career it became clear that Favre thought he should be given special consideration over his teammates.

We all know the story.

When Thompson pushed all his chips in to the middle of the table and traded Favre in favor of Aaron Rodgers, he caught holy hell not only from Packer fans but a good portion of the media.

Rodgers' play and Favre's fade down the stretch during his one season in New York quieted some critics, but then there was his brilliant year in 2009 with the Vikings that threatened to give Favre the victory over Thompson.

Some in the media started up their "I told you so" engines, most notably Jason Whitlock who went so far as to call Thompson a moron and an idiot.

Then, of course, Favre was Favre in the NFC Championship Game.

All the while, Thompson was watching Aaron Rodgers get better and better the more he played. Along with Rodgers' maturation, he went about the task of building a younger roster that could mature together and has positioned the team to be competitive for the next decade.

The window is open wide for a championship run for the next three or four years at least.

It's interesting to note that while Thompson was building the team the way he wanted to, Favre was in Minnesota on a squad built the way he always wanted Green Bay to be - with aggressive trades, big spending in free agency, high draft picks on offensive playmakers. And for one glorious season, it all worked.

But now the piper must be paid. The list of veterans waiting for contract extensions in Minnesota extends out the door of Winter Park.

There's no quarterback to take the reins when Favre is gone for good in 2011. (And don't think for a second that this isn't his last ride on the merry-go-round)

They used a third round pick to acquire a receiver they used for all of four games.

And to top it all off, and what really sets Thompson up for the "win" in my book, is the complete breakdown behind the scenes with the players and Brad Childress.

I don't think you can argue that Favre's me-first attitude has infected the entire building.

Whether its disgruntled vets giving anonymous quotes to a Chicago paper about how they have no respect for Childress or if its Bernard Berrian telling the team he can't gut one out just before kickoff, the lack of heart when it comes to this squad is glaring.

This doesn't even begin to get into Sidney Rice's situation.

The man, by all accounts, is healthy and looks great in practice. But he has refused to be activated because he says he doesn't feel 100 percent.

Of course, as Tom Pelissero pointed out on Transplants on Tuesday night, the behind the scenes chatter is that Rice wants no part of playing for a 3-6 team, injuring himself or having a setback that would end up impacting his impending free agency.

And the sad truth to all of this? The tone was set the moment the Vikings and Brad Childress allowed Brett Favre to do whatever the hell he wants.

It's always all about Favre - it has to be. And now the entire organization is reaping what they've sewn - we saw the start of it this summer when Adrian Peterson didn't show for mini-camp, reportedly disgruntled that his quarterback could sit out the entire offseason, including training camp (not to mention get a substantial raise) while his teammates were in Minnesota working as a team.

Although even that storyline is a bit false, as the Vikings had some 30 veterans miss parts of their offseason program.

Compare that to the culture that Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy have cultivated in Green Bay. Over 90 percent participation rate in their offseason program. A large number of veteran players rewarded with big contracts.

A quarterback set to take his place as one of the better signal callers in the league for the next decade.

If Favre completes that pass in the NFC Championship game, if the Vikings go on and win the Super Bowl - Favre wins. No question in my mind. He proves Thompson wrong, even with all the positive things happening in Green Bay, he would have been able to say - "I had another championship in me and you blew it."

Instead, Favre's desire to "stick it to Ted" has backfired and Favre has lost - and sent the Vikings into a tailspin as a result.

Winner: Ted Thompson.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe not this year, but I am willing to bet that last year there really was that feeling

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I admit I was livid when this whole fiasco first went down,.. thinking "What is TT THINKING??"
I believed what BF was spouting to the media,...heck I even joined the "Bring Brett Back" campaign! :blush:
(I wonder where those 2 brothers now stand?? Are they still Packer fans or are they BF fans)

Now after it was all said and done,..I'm embarrassed to see how I supported Brett, and finally saw him for what he really is. Very selfish, very egotistical!

As far as who's the winner,..... I go by how things affect the team,.. . Who's holding teams hostages with its all me attitude , or who is trying to help a team win. You decide.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre won. After 2 1/2 years Packer fans can't stop from talking about him.

thats a pretty weak argument...lets see, everyone attached to NFL coverage talks about Favre, he was only the packers QB for a decade and a half, not to mention 2 time superbowl player who had a pill addiction, has mutliple records, cheated on his wife, lied to thousands of people, switched teams in an ugly and hate-filled way, obvioulsy does not like his current head coach and is having the worst season of his career.

...who wouldnt be talking about that?

Favre has thrown his legacy in the toilet (for now)...it will be years until the damage is forgiven (but never forrgotten).

he is a steaming pile.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Favre won. After 2 1/2 years Packer fans can't stop from talking about him.

Of course we are gonna talk about a guy who played for us for a gazillion years, won a SB with GB, and then threw everything down the toilet for a chance at a more personal glory. It's a freaking Greek Tragedy. It's intriguing to watch.

Farve is a 50 car pileup on the NFL superhighway.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Of course we are gonna talk about a guy who played for us for a gazillion years, won a SB with GB, and then threw everything down the toilet for a chance at a more personal glory. It's a freaking Greek Tragedy. It's intriguing to watch.

Farve is a 50 car pileup on the NFL superhighway.

Just as I was reading your response the co-host on "Around the League Live" is talking about "a big week of players facing their old teams...obviously Brett Favre we talked about at nauseum.. I want to through a couple of other guys at you.."

50 car pileup on the NFL superhighway,.. .and talked about Brett Favre at nauseum pretty much sums it up!!!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Honestly, Favre's brand was intact and strong until the Jenn Sterger story surfaced and the Vikings began to implode. The talented, lovable country boy that can't seem to make up his mind was playing very well until a few months ago.

I read where his brand took a $200 million hit because of Sterger.

Both the Packers and Favre were better for the breakup until Jenn.

I beg to differ,...his legacy started to crack around his 2nd or 3rd "unretirement"

btw...when is the Jenn investigation going to conclude!?!?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
talk is cheap *****.

the packers are 6 and 3, and coming after old man favre again.

GO PACK GO!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
His PACKER legacy started to crack. His brand thrived - just ask Sears or Wrangler (or his bank account).

I didn't read that in dollars and sense! lol Well I'm not a wrangler wearer, I don't shop at Sears...just don't think of Favre as a "brand"

At first read, I thought you were talking about Legacy. oops

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a pretty good read... until I got to this part:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's always all about Favre - it has to be. And now the entire organization is reaping what they've sewn - we saw the start of it this summer when Adrian Peterson didn't show for mini-camp, reportedly disgruntled that his quarterback could sit out the entire offseason, including training camp (not to mention get a substantial raise) while his teammates were in Minnesota working as a team.

Although even that storyline is a bit false, as the Vikings had some 30 veterans miss parts of their offseason program."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike Favre a great deal, but when a writer resorts to sensationalistic "journalsim" like that, they lose all credibility; and because of it, the entire article is now suspect. And yes, I suppose techincally it's true; it was reported that Peterson didn't show because he was disgruntled that Favre didn't show, but it was wrongly reported, which means it should never have been mentioned.

There's plenty to dislike about Favre without BS like that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the win/loss as being mutually exclusive.

TT came out better - obviously having a better QB take over.

BF has lost based on hi destroyed legacy. He will end his career having lost most Packer fans and Viking fans. He is seen now by most as having played too long, a pathetic shadow of a once excellent player.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That was a pretty good read... until I got to this part:
"It's always all about Favre - it has to be. And now the entire organization is reaping what they've sewn - we saw the start of it this summer when Adrian Peterson didn't show for mini-camp, reportedly disgruntled that his quarterback could sit out the entire offseason, including training camp (not to mention get a substantial raise) while his teammates were in Minnesota working as a team.

Although even that storyline is a bit false, as the Vikings had some 30 veterans miss parts of their offseason program."
I dislike Favre a great deal, but when a writer resorts to sensationalistic "journalsim" like that, they lose all credibility; and because of it, the entire article is now suspect. And yes, I suppose techincally it's true; it was reported that Peterson didn't show because he was disgruntled that Favre didn't show, but it was wrongly reported, which means it should never have been mentioned.

There's plenty to dislike about Favre without BS like that.

I cant recall that was the case?

Any articles saying it was wrong?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I don't see the win/loss as being mutually exclusive.

TT came out better - obviously having a better QB take over.

BF has lost based on hi destroyed legacy. He will end his career having lost most Packer fans and Viking fans. He is seen now by most as having played too long, a pathetic shadow of a once excellent player.

I agree,.. I think your saying that its not a win/win, or a lose/lose situation,..exclusively. Not a winner takes all type thing, but I see the balance of thought there.
Agree totally on how TT came out better, and BF lost as now being known as a pathetic shadow.
So TT WINS!!! lol!!!