Our D-Line (packers) vs their O-Line (steelers)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to break this to all you boys and girls, but what defense do you run? The 3-4 ZONE BLITZ. Try googling to see where it came into existence, who invented it, and how it came to prominence.

LeBeau created the zone blitz when he was defensive coordinator for the Bengals in the late 1980s.

Not while he was employed by the steelers. Sorry to break it to you. You should turn off the computer and read up on history son.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad for us that once something has been conceived it can never be improved upon.... Anyone got Dom's phone number so we can call and let him know. If we get the message through to him soon enough, we can save them the hassle of having to travel to Dallas and play a football game next Sunday.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to break this to all you boys and girls, but what defense do you run? The 3-4 ZONE BLITZ. Try googling to see where it came into existence, who invented it, and how it came to prominence.

Then, google Dom Capers history. See where Kevin Greene learned the 3-4 zone blitz. Who got him started in coaching. Do the same for Darren Perry.

Then get back to me with your petty claims about "yeah, they invented defense". I NEVER stated the Steelers invented defense, I stated they invented YOUR defense.

Because they did.

Do you know why you have so many trolls? Because when people come here to actually TALK football, you act like smart ***** and turn them into trolls.

The Joke of me saying "The Steelers invented Defense" is pretty much a joke of you already saying the Steelers gave us our defense...can you roll with the jokes, or do you have to get so serious all the time

honestly in all seriousness, don't you think it's an advantage for both offenses to be so familiar with either teams tendencies and schemes?

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is really more about matchups and how the Steelers will scheme than it is anything else. To be honest, having Clay Mathews at LOLB is a huge plus for the Steelers. Flozell Adams has done better at RT this season than he did at LT last season.

Now, when you factor in the Packers scheme and the fact that they do not bring the inside backers a bunch, it means that the Steelers can double Raji with Legursky and Foster. Being able to double that nose will help significantly. I would imagine that the Steelers keep Miller in to block Matthews. With Matthews main weapon being speed, that is another plus. Granted, it would be nice to have Heath going out, but if it keeps Ben upright, you have to do what you have to do. Flozell Adams will match up with Pickett. On the other side, I would think they slide Kemo out to Jenkins, which could be an issue, but it is one they have to roll the dice with. Scott would either double that or take Walden if he comes. This would mean that the RB could pick up any DB coming like Shields or give help by chipping. It would put 3 WRs in the routes, which is fine because sooner or later, they wiggle free.

Unless the Packers show some type of interior linebacker pressure, I really do not think the Packers pass rush threat will be significant. While the tackles for the Steelers are not stellar, they are decent enough with help...and the Steelers have been giving them help. The problem the Steelers have had with teams is inside pressure at the guard spots from blitzers. The Packers do not show that tendency.

We do have a lot of MLB blitzes, and Woodson blitzing on the outside often.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it when Dom uses Clay in the Middle and either side...with his ability the guy is quick on getting the pressure on those delayed blitzes, Woodson offers great attention to the Tackles w/ his Blitz from the outside and allows a small opportunity for Jenkins, BJ, & Clay to make something happen

T

TMC

LeBeau created the zone blitz when he was defensive coordinator for the Bengals in the late 1980s.

Not while he was employed by the steelers. Sorry to break it to you. You should turn off the computer and read up on history son.

LMAO....yep, it was in the late 1980s. LeBeau came up with the concept of the zone blitz during the 1984 NFL draft. He was scouting players and talked to his old coach Bill Arnsparger and was kicking around ideas of how to blitz without clearing a zone. He used it very sparingly until 1992, when he became an assistant with the Steelers under Dom Capers. Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

And, while LeBeau came up with the concept while in Cincinnati, it came into prominence with the Steelers. The guy that invented it and perfected coaches the Steelers. Capers copies his scheme. You STILL copy the Steelers. You still strive to become what they ARE.

T

TMC

The Joke of me saying "The Steelers invented Defense" is pretty much a joke of you already saying the Steelers gave us our defense...can you roll with the jokes, or do you have to get so serious all the time

honestly in all seriousness, don't you think it's an advantage for both offenses to be so familiar with either teams tendencies and schemes?

See, that is the fallacy. You are running the zone blitz scheme. The Steelers do not zone blitz like the Packers do. LeBeau has continued to evolve the system into something completely different. With guys like Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons, both equally sound when blitzing or covering, they can mimic a blitz and drop, or mimic coverage and blitz. The diversity of guys like them allow LeBeau to continue to progress in his schemes. He is the mastermind of that defense. Capers is not.

After watching 4 Packer games over the past two days, I see our old style defensive scheme, not what they currently do.

So, while there are wrinkles in your scheme that have to be accounted for that Dom uses sparingly, LeBeau is rolling out schemes that even our current players have not seen. It has been pretty common after games for the Steelers to state, we have never ran this particular scheme before, it is something new. Dropping Raji into a fire zone blitz is not new....well, not to us.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO....yep, it was in the late 1980s. LeBeau came up with the concept of the zone blitz during the 1984 NFL draft. He was scouting players and talked to his old coach Bill Arnsparger and was kicking around ideas of how to blitz without clearing a zone. He used it very sparingly until 1992, when he became an assistant with the Steelers under Dom Capers. Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

And, while LeBeau came up with the concept while in Cincinnati, it came into prominence with the Steelers. The guy that invented it and perfected coaches the Steelers. Capers copies his scheme. You STILL copy the Steelers. You still strive to become what they ARE.
:sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse::sFun_DeadHorse:

T

TMC

I love it when Dom uses Clay in the Middle and either side...with his ability the guy is quick on getting the pressure on those delayed blitzes, Woodson offers great attention to the Tackles w/ his Blitz from the outside and allows a small opportunity for Jenkins, BJ, & Clay to make something happen

In the 4 games I have watched, Matthews has moved from his position on the left side...maybe....6-8 times.

You blitz your corners MUCH more than you move Matthews around. Now, I have watched Capers move your ILBs to Matthews outside shoulder, but he is still lined up at LOLB with an exterior blitzer.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, that is the fallacy. You are running the zone blitz scheme. The Steelers do not zone blitz like the Packers do. LeBeau has continued to evolve the system into something completely different. With guys like Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons, both equally sound when blitzing or covering, they can mimic a blitz and drop, or mimic coverage and blitz. The diversity of guys like them allow LeBeau to continue to progress in his schemes. He is the mastermind of that defense. Capers is not.

After watching 4 Packer games over the past two days, I see our old style defensive scheme, not what they currently do.

So, while there are wrinkles in your scheme that have to be accounted for that Dom uses sparingly, LeBeau is rolling out schemes that even our current players have not seen. It has been pretty common after games for the Steelers to state, we have never ran this particular scheme before, it is something new. Dropping Raji into a fire zone blitz is not new....well, not to us.

TMC, I think you aren't giving Capers enough credit. The guy is a defensive genius in his own right and he would be my pick for DC if we didn't have LeBeau.

Capers is widely accredited for designing the blitzburgh defense that we used to go to the SB in 1995. The job he has done in the past 2 years with the Pack is nothing short of amazing. To underestimate him would be a huge mistake for the Steelers to make. One I'm sure they won't.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TMC, I think you aren't giving Capers enough credit. The guy is a defensive genius in his own right and he would be my pick for DC if we didn't have LeBeau.

Capers is widely accredited for designing the blitzburgh defense that we used to go to the SB in 1995. The job he has done in the past 2 years with the Pack is nothing short of amazing. To underestimate him would be a huge mistake for the Steelers to make. One I'm sure they won't.

that was very refreshing to hear, thank you Steeler Tim

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
\ Dropping Raji into a fire zone blitz is not new....well, not to us.
]

From what I heard that specific play BJ for int and Td was put in THAT week...Never did it all season

So it shows that we have tricks up our sleeves and not afraid to pull them out

Members online

Latest posts