2021 O-Line

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not true at all. Yosh has played in the NFL and was on gameday roster all 16 games last season.

*this is not a defense of the idea of starting Yosh, merely a correction.
Another of those guys that suffered from lack of practice and development time because of last year’s circumstances. The league is full of these guys.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the times I agree with your knowledgable take but not in this case. I would definitely be worried about Turner starting at left tackle for a number of games.

I'm not certainly *happy* about Turner for multiple games, but he is adequate. Yes, the Bucs made our patchwork line look poor, but the Rams made our patchwork line look pretty darn good.

I do agree with others that an early OT is likely.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Bahk hurt, I think the obvious move in the draft is a OT, but what if the Packers feel that they already have someone who can play OT right away or is not far away from developing into a starter? Maybe a guy that is currently on the team or the quick fix, a Free Agent? I guess you could say that about any position, but I think those first 2 picks might once again surprise a lot of fans and not necessarily be at positions we think. If I had to put money down, I would say CB is probably the most likely.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true at all. Yosh has played in the NFL and was on gameday roster all 16 games last season.

Being on the game day roster isn't the same as actual game experience that I am alluding to. We have seen some guys step in and play well like Lindsley and Jenkins but most o lineman take their lumps when they have no experience. My concern is that Hanson, Stepanuak or Nijman would struggle like most o lineman do when they are thrown to the wolves.

Reaction score
It would be awesome if two out of Runyan, Hanson and Stepaniak develop into decent starters, especially considering all of them were drafted on day three last year.

At this point I don't consider any of Nijman, Hanson or Stepaniak a quality backup and wouldn't feel comfortable about any of them starting though.
It’s going to be exciting to see which direction we go. Gutekunst is confident in himself (regardless of what is fans think). LB or WR are calling to me and that’s strange because we rarely go after a round 1-2 WR or LB. We’re all expecting CB or OT, but maybe we go unconventional and that is sorta Gutes MO.

I’d like to see us stay pat at #29 unless there’s a player falling down the board hard into earshot. I’d rather get aggressive in round 2 and move into the top #50 overall. Watched Elijah Moore’s pro-day and is he fast! I’m not used to seeing such effortless explosion out of breaks. He’s going to smooth burn some really talented CB’s very soon.

This draft has incredible juicy, low fruit hanging between that top #25 - #50 area.

I’m more excited about this draft than normal. I’m exited for all of us Packer fans, it’s been a long and arduous wait.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Nijman has played a total of 15 snaps on offense in his career. That's pretty much like not having any experience and definitely nothing to feel confident about entering next season.

We’re all expecting CB or OT, but maybe we go unconventional and that is sorta Gutes MO.

I could see the Packers drafting a defensive lineman in the first round as well although it's supposedly a weak class at the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being on the game day roster isn't the same as actual game experience that I am alluding to. We have seen some guys step in and play well like Lindsley and Jenkins but most o lineman take their lumps when they have no experience. My concern is that Hanson, Stepanuak or Nijman would struggle like most o lineman do when they are thrown to the wolves.

Again he has seen NFL snaps, in the regular season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman has played a total of 15 snaps on offense in his career. That's pretty much like not having any experience and definitely nothing to feel confident about entering next season.

Again though I'm not, nor would I ever defend the logic of expecting Yosh to step in. I am merely correcting a false statement which no doubt was said in error.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I see 51 at spotrac, 14 at pro football reference, and 14 at edsfootball. Not a subscriber anywhere so could be more. Doesn't change anything other than questions what actual snap count Yosh has LOL He still shouldn't be expected to start.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still shouldn't be expected to start.
In order to learn to swim you eventually need to take-off the arm floaties. :) With a preseason this year GB should finally be able to tell if Nijman is a player or just a physical specimen using-up a roster spot. He's hung-around for 2 years so I've got to imagine the staff believes he's got the mental & physical tools to play, so why not pencil him in and tell him the RT job is his to lose?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In order to learn to swim you eventually need to take-off the arm floaties. :) With a preseason this year GB should finally be able to tell if Nijman is a player or just a physical specimen using-up a roster spot. He's hung-around for 2 years so I've got to imagine the staff believes he's got the mental & physical tools to play, so why not pencil him in and tell him the RT job is his to lose?

Having a pre-season this year in order to evaluate not only Nijman but also Love is something I'm looking forward to.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having a pre-season this year in order to evaluate not only Nijman but also Love is something I'm looking forward to.

Personally, two others have me intensely curious and that is Vernon Scott and Jonathan Garvin. Garvin dressed a decent amount for the first half of the season and then stopped...I've always been curious as to why. Both him and Scott played about 9% of the snaps and in very limited time showed promise, curious to see if they build on it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again he has seen NFL snaps, in the regular season.
I would assert that he has taken so few snaps that he is basically an unknown at this point. I think it's fair to lump Nijman in with Hanson and Stepaniak and say they are newbies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assert that he has taken so few snaps that he is basically an unknown at this point. I think it's fair to lump Nijman in with Hanson and Stepaniak and say they are newbies.

Read entirety of posts, said nothing to the contrary

D

Deleted member 6794

So I see 51 at spotrac, 14 at pro football reference, and 14 at edsfootball. Not a subscriber anywhere so could be more. Doesn't change anything other than questions what actual snap count Yosh has LOL He still shouldn't be expected to start.

Spotrac shouldn't be considered a reliable source for snap counts. Actually I wasn't even aware they kept track of it.

The point remains that Nijman having played a total of 15 career snaps (he received one in the playoffs last season as well) doesn't make a whole lot of a difference compared to not having played at all.

Technically you' re right that he has played some though.

With a preseason this year GB should finally be able to tell if Nijman is a player or just a physical specimen using-up a roster spot. He's hung-around for 2 years so I've got to imagine the staff believes he's got the mental & physical tools to play, so why not pencil him in and tell him the RT job is his to lose?

Nijman doesn't deserve to be penciled in as the starter at right tackle and I wouldn't feel comfortable about that being the case.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sizing or trying to decide the OL at the present time is an impossible feat - draft and post-draft veteran FA signings still most likely occurring.

If you told me we were entering the season without a single addition to our OL room, I'd bet the starting OL would be:

LT - Turner
LG - Jenkins
C - Patrick
RG - Runyon
RT - Nijman

I personally believe one of our starting Tackles entering the season is not on the roster yet.
Agreed. Gluten will either draft a RT early, or find one in FA. Neither option is ideal, but with Jones, Dillon, and the WR group so dependent on a solid OL, and with Bakh out for 4 to 8 weeks, GB might have to take a RT as early as Rd 1.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Spotrac shouldn't be considered a reliable source for snap counts. Actually I wasn't even aware they kept track of it.

The point remains that Nijman having played a total of 15 career snaps (he received one in the playoffs last season as well) doesn't make a whole lot of a difference compared to not having played at all.

Technically you' re right that he has played some though.

Nijman doesn't deserve to be penciled in as the starter at right tackle and I wouldn't feel comfortable about that being the case.
    Where did Nijman come from? Was he drafted, an UDFA, or (least likely) a FA? I didn’t even know he was part of the OL. Quite the impression.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

• Where did Nijman come from? Was he drafted, an UDFA, or (least likely) a FA? I didn’t even know he was part of the OL. Quite the impression.

UDFA from virginia Tech, dude was an impressive freak measurable wise. Project for sure, and it is clear the organization still believes that potential is there. Could this be the year he finally pushes through - anyone is just guessing at best...I think you plan on Nijman purely as depth and be very pleasantly surprised if it finally clicks.

I remember being shocked he was still undrafted when it ended that year honestly.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a freak athlete at OT that started at a P5 school doesn’t get drafted, it usually means they suck.

Maybe he’s gotten better. He has stuck around after all, and that means something, I think. I wouldn’t count on much though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UDFA from virginia Tech, dude was an impressive freak measurable wise. Project for sure, and it is clear the organization still believes that potential is there. Could this be the year he finally pushes through - anyone is just guessing at best...I think you plan on Nijman purely as depth and be very pleasantly surprised if it finally clicks.

I remember being shocked he was still undrafted when it ended that year honestly.
As usual, thanks Ty for a great answer. Well I guess I better start to pay attention. And I hope Nijman lives up to his potential. Gary noted he was taken from a P5 school, so it's likely his college experience wasn't very formative. Sometimes these guys find themselves with the right coaching and opportunities. and the Packers have a good crew of OL coaches, and a good history. Hope that's true here.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a freak athlete at OT that started at a P5 school doesn’t get drafted, it usually means they suck.

Maybe he’s gotten better. He has stuck around after all, and that means something, I think. I wouldn’t count on much though.

Be mindful that VT isn't necessarily an amazing programs. It's had some highs and lows over the years...wouldn't necessarily elevate expectations out of VT, P5 sure - but it isn't like a Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Bama, Oklahoma, USC.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to be exciting to see which direction we go. Gutekunst is confident in himself (regardless of what is fans think). LB or WR are calling to me and that’s strange because we rarely go after a round 1-2 WR or LB. We’re all expecting CB or OT, but maybe we go unconventional and that is sorta Gutes MO.

I’d like to see us stay pat at #29 unless there’s a player falling down the board hard into earshot. I’d rather get aggressive in round 2 and move into the top #50 overall. Watched Elijah Moore’s pro-day and is he fast! I’m not used to seeing such effortless explosion out of breaks. He’s going to smooth burn some really talented CB’s very soon.

This draft has incredible juicy, low fruit hanging between that top #25 - #50 area.

I’m more excited about this draft than normal. I’m exited for all of us Packer fans, it’s been a long and arduous wait.

Last time we went Rd 1 with a Linebacker we went with a 4-3 OLB who transitioned to 4-3 MLB when we drafted AJ Hawk and that was '06?-ish?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah! There are mistakes made by our O-line. Watching Love being hounded by half the KC roster on a couple of occasions, I was ready to suggest that the coaches remind these guys that they aren't bullfighters. But, through it all, with the injuries this year, and the juggling of the line, I'm really kind of impressed at how well they've actually done overall. A couple guys I thought were a waste of a roster spot are showing me that I may have under valued their ability. They may not be great, but they aren't getting paid $15 mill either. We couldn't afford them if they were getting that kind of money.

Credit to the coaching staff, for preparing these guys as well as they have.