Our D-Line (packers) vs their O-Line (steelers)

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the recent news of Pouncy having a broken bone in his foot, there's a really good chance he won't play...that being said, what does the ENTIRE NFL know about the Steelers O-LINE pass protection?...that they kind of are...not good

They seem to be able to RUN the ball very well behind that 0-LINE, which is interesting...so more then likely they are going to try and run the Ball more then pass...

Honestly if we get a good lead and it forces the Steelers to pass more often, I honestly think with a NEWLY Healthy Cullen Jenkins (with an extra 2 weeks of rest) & a HEALTHY Clay Matthews (with an additional 2 weeks of rest)...we can make some MAJOR problems for Big Ben and company...I think it plays right into our hands, if we take away the run even (which we could) as long as BIG BEN is throwing against us, I REALLY like our chances:happy0005:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd definitely give the advantage to the Packers D even with Big Ben to consider. Their protection is not all that great and if Pouncey is out, it will be a nightmare. Keep in mind Big Ben is big and hard to take down, but as my Momma always told me, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. May the fall of Big Ben be heard all the way back to GB. This Packers D has been on a tear, playing lights out, stunning football and they are just getting better and better. With two weeks rest and ample practice time I don't think a titanium wall could stop them, let alone a steel curtain. My faith in our D is solid as a rock.

On the flip side of the coin, the Steelers also have a good D, that steel curtain is no joke. They have many weapons to counter ours, Harrison to Clay, Troy to Tramon, and so on. But it's not going to be the two defenses playing each other. I expect Rodgers and the Packers O Line to have a huge game coming off of last week. I would give the edge here to the Packers but it is a marginal one.

I think these teams are the closest to equal I've seen in the SB in a long time. Any advantage is marginal to slim at best. But I have no reason to doubt the Pack, my faith in them has been solid all year, even in the darkest hour, and I must say, I have a really good feeling about this game!

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'Word of Muth' columns on Football Outsiders has more than you probably ever wanted to know about the Steeler O-line:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Word Of Muth

Pittsburgh hasn't been outstanding running or passing the ball this year. Legursky (Pouncey's replacement) is versatile but there are limits to how much one can do with a replacement center in two weeks. Matthews might have some stiff competition from his own D-line as to who gets the most number of sacks, and it's highly doubtful Capers will sit on his heels and run vanilla schemes all day long.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'Word of Muth' columns on Football Outsiders has more than you probably ever wanted to know about the Steeler O-line:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Word Of Muth

Pittsburgh hasn't been outstanding running or passing the ball this year. Legursky (Pouncey's replacement) is versatile but there are limits to how much one can do with a replacement center in two weeks. Matthews might have some stiff competition from his own D-line as to who gets the most number of sacks, and it's highly doubtful Capers will sit on his heels and run vanilla schemes all day long.

Thanks for posting this web site--excellent articles.

I especially liked his comment about "numbers mean nothing". Winning means everything.

I think our defense has an edge on your offense, and I'm figuring that will be the difference in the game, assuming we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, FLOZELL ADAMS is the starting RT for the Steelers, and last we saw FLOZELL trying to block the Packers, it was last year when CLAY MATTHEWS went around him as a Cowboy and he just anhialated Adams to get to Romo.

I want Roethlisberger to be sacked an NFL record amount of times..... although I'd honestly not be too broken up if he went out early like Cutler or Cutler's backup Collins. Raji or Jenkins crush him.
I have no sympathy for other team's injuries until they hit the same # on IR as we do!
And I don't like Big Ben for many reasons, including one reason that we're to ignore here on this site and not mention.

BlackNGoldBearer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be a Defensive stand-off IMO. Both Defenses are going to cause problems for the opposing offense no doubt!

I really think that what's going to be the crux of the whole game will be turnovers and the other team capitalizing on it.

Both QB's I think are going to be faced with a lot of pressure. Whoever has the best running game to be respected will prevail on offense for sure.

But turnovers will be the make/break point to consider.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I guess if anyone is going to break Reggie's superbowl record it might as well be a packer

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
both teams have very good q.b.s but there is a difference in both,we all know A-Rod at times holds the ball to long and may get a sack out of it.On the other hand Big Ben rather than take a sack will go down throwing hoping one of his players gets the catch 50-50 there,witch could be a huge game changer in a game and I can see one of our players waiting for that it will be tough but I think the pack will prevail.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought our O-line that won the 2008 SB was the worst in SB history. Without Pouncey this line might just break that record for futility. Pouncey being out hurts on many different levels. Not only is he our best blocking lineman but he also makes our line calls.

That being said it puts more pressure on Ben to win the game but it also plays into Ben's strength. It turns our plays into a sandlot game and Ben is far and away the best QB in the league playing that way. The guy thrives on a play breaking down.

The flip side of that is the Pack defense. They are formidable when we have our line at full strength. At less than that I think Ben's health is in jeopardy. Mathews is just incredible at getting after the QB. He will be a stalwart on GB's defense for many years to come. Raji has been playing very well as of late so Legursky better be prepared. This is the match-up that worries me the most in this game.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers O-line is spotty at best and has been for years. That doesn't mean that Ben isn't going to move the ball through the air pretty much at will.
That's not a dig on your defense. You guys are good and we know that, but we beat a lot of good defenses this way. When the plays break down (and they usually do) Ben reverts to sandlot mode. There's nobody in the league that does it better.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be a Defensive stand-off IMO. Both Defenses are going to cause problems for the opposing offense no doubt!

I really think that what's going to be the crux of the whole game will be turnovers and the other team capitalizing on it.

Both QB's I think are going to be faced with a lot of pressure. Whoever has the best running game to be respected will prevail on offense for sure.

But turnovers will be the make/break point to consider.

I am not sure about the defensive problems statement. I know it was last year but when these two teams met last time I think their was over 800 yards total offense between the two teams. Watching the Jets / Steelers game last week I think the Steelers tried to give the game away. Big Ben dropped the snap near the endzone, and I know the rookie CB got hit directly in the face with one of Bens passes. The Jets walked down the field and after a 8 minute drive and got no points from the offense. They squandered a couple more opportunities also. Pouncey being out is not going to help the Steelers deal with Matthews, Pickett, Raji and Jenkins. It certainly is not going to help the running game. Our defense is better in my opinion (maybe not statisics wise) than they were last year. Al Harris wont be toasted like he was the last couple years because he is gone. Some guy on the NFL network made the comment that the Packers will be dealing with the #1 sack leaders in the NFL. I think they had one more sack than the Packers during the regular season. Wow! Anyhow.......I think the winner of this game will win by maybe 10 points but I think it will be maybe like 34-24. I just hope its the Packers winning! I am sure you hope the opposite but it is nice to see a Steeler fan come here, chat with us, and give us your opinions.

T

TMC

It is really more about matchups and how the Steelers will scheme than it is anything else. To be honest, having Clay Mathews at LOLB is a huge plus for the Steelers. Flozell Adams has done better at RT this season than he did at LT last season.

Now, when you factor in the Packers scheme and the fact that they do not bring the inside backers a bunch, it means that the Steelers can double Raji with Legursky and Foster. Being able to double that nose will help significantly. I would imagine that the Steelers keep Miller in to block Matthews. With Matthews main weapon being speed, that is another plus. Granted, it would be nice to have Heath going out, but if it keeps Ben upright, you have to do what you have to do. Flozell Adams will match up with Pickett. On the other side, I would think they slide Kemo out to Jenkins, which could be an issue, but it is one they have to roll the dice with. Scott would either double that or take Walden if he comes. This would mean that the RB could pick up any DB coming like Shields or give help by chipping. It would put 3 WRs in the routes, which is fine because sooner or later, they wiggle free.

Unless the Packers show some type of interior linebacker pressure, I really do not think the Packers pass rush threat will be significant. While the tackles for the Steelers are not stellar, they are decent enough with help...and the Steelers have been giving them help. The problem the Steelers have had with teams is inside pressure at the guard spots from blitzers. The Packers do not show that tendency.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Pouncey is a big blow to the Steelers. In the Jets game Legursky got pushed around. He was responsible for two bad snaps, one for a safety. He was also beat badly for a sack.

A good match up to watch during the game, Raji vs Legursky.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is really more about matchups and how the Steelers will scheme than it is anything else. To be honest, having Clay Mathews at LOLB is a huge plus for the Steelers. Flozell Adams has done better at RT this season than he did at LT last season.

Now, when you factor in the Packers scheme and the fact that they do not bring the inside backers a bunch, it means that the Steelers can double Raji with Legursky and Foster. Being able to double that nose will help significantly. I would imagine that the Steelers keep Miller in to block Matthews. With Matthews main weapon being speed, that is another plus. Granted, it would be nice to have Heath going out, but if it keeps Ben upright, you have to do what you have to do. Flozell Adams will match up with Pickett. On the other side, I would think they slide Kemo out to Jenkins, which could be an issue, but it is one they have to roll the dice with. Scott would either double that or take Walden if he comes. This would mean that the RB could pick up any DB coming like Shields or give help by chipping. It would put 3 WRs in the routes, which is fine because sooner or later, they wiggle free.

Unless the Packers show some type of interior linebacker pressure, I really do not think the Packers pass rush threat will be significant. While the tackles for the Steelers are not stellar, they are decent enough with help...and the Steelers have been giving them help. The problem the Steelers have had with teams is inside pressure at the guard spots from blitzers. The Packers do not show that tendency.

I bet we don't keep Miller in. You guys would be wise to double-team him when he heads out in the flat. Ben loves to get him the ball. He doesn't make big YAC, but he's automatic any time the ball is in his area code. Not ****, but it moves the chains.

I can tell you guys the Steelers scheme. It ain't news. It's the same scheme we've been running for the past 3 years on offense.
We will start with a single back and either trips or stacked receivers. We will try to keep the number of runs equal to the number of passes. When (not if) the protection breaks down, Ben will go into sandlot mode and buy enough time to find the open guy.

On defense, we will run a zone stunt/ blitz and leave it up to Rodgers to guess who's coming and who's in coverage. The corners will cover close, daring Rodgers to wait long enough to find the open guy. Timmons will be spying underneath and Polamalu/ Clark will be swapping positions at random so you guys can't key on who's doing what.

The scheme itself isn't a mystery. The trick is figuring out how to stop it.

I want that 7th sticky Lobmardi, so I'm not about to give you guys any hints.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Losing Pouncey is a big blow to the Steelers. In the Jets game Legursky got pushed around. He was responsible for two bad snaps, one for a safety. He was also beat badly for a sack.

A good match up to watch during the game, Raji vs Legursky.

He will have the timing down come game time

As far as blocking BJ I dont know

There was a player for the JETS?? on 1st take Wed I think ..

He said he went up against both and thinks BJ will have a huge day

T

TMC

Does not compute!

It really is not hard to understand, Clay Matthews is your LOLB. That means he will hit the right side of our offensive line, Flozell Adams and Heath Miller. Miller is a fine blocking tight end and with Pouncey out, Adams is our best offensive linemen. If you had Matthews at ROLB, he would get Jonathan Scott, who is much worse than Adams.

Matthews at LOLB plays into the strength (what is left of it) of our line.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is not hard to understand, Clay Matthews is your LOLB. That means he will hit the right side of our offensive line, Flozell Adams and Heath Miller. Miller is a fine blocking tight end and with Pouncey out, Adams is our best offensive linemen. If you had Matthews at ROLB, he would get Jonathan Scott, who is much worse than Adams.

Sorry, I had to install Steelers logic into my core operating system. I understand it now, at first I thought it sounded he was saying Matthew's was a Steeler.

*initiating deactivation of Steelers logic from core operating system before it causes a full system failure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Matthews does not just stay on one side...He flips all the time..He and Woodson might be on same side, Woody might be on right, Clay on left..

But keep believing you know how our D works

Feel a little more different now that you KNOW what he does and not just reading the depth chart?

But since you think Scott is worse expect Clay to be there alot

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, of course, before the Steel Curtain there was no Monsters of the Midway, Purple People Eaters and of course, the Packers in the 60's led by the likes of Ray Nitschke couldn't play defense.

BTW - Matthews often rushes the QB up the middle and Bishop has had several sacks, not to mention Hawk's pressure on Vick during the 2 point try in the playoffs so they never bring pressure up the middle.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how the probable defensive POY is considered a pretty good player but when talking about steelers you tell us how great they all are and none of our guys compare.

T

TMC

I hate to break this to all you boys and girls, but what defense do you run? The 3-4 ZONE BLITZ. Try googling to see where it came into existence, who invented it, and how it came to prominence.

Then, google Dom Capers history. See where Kevin Greene learned the 3-4 zone blitz. Who got him started in coaching. Do the same for Darren Perry.

Then get back to me with your petty claims about "yeah, they invented defense". I NEVER stated the Steelers invented defense, I stated they invented YOUR defense.

Because they did.

Do you know why you have so many trolls? Because when people come here to actually TALK football, you act like smart ***** and turn them into trolls.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to break this to all you boys and girls, but what defense do you run? The 3-4 ZONE BLITZ.
Thats simply not true. We're based in the Nickel most of the time. What Capers runs is so far from a Base 3-4 that its in a different time zone.

Do you know why you have so many trolls? Because when people come here to actually TALK football, you act like smart ***** and turn them into trolls.

Happens on your forum also, it's hard for Packer and Steelers fans to remain objective.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts