MLF O Scheme vs WR talent

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking at the big picture of who can or could have been signed to improve the WR group. As I said before, the longer Gute waits, the fewer players there are available or maybe better to say, few better options than what he currently has.

However when discussing fixes, all you can view is what is before you - at that point why aren't we discussing signing a FA last year or in 2019...don't fuel your frustrations like that :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
However when discussing fixes, all you can view is what is before you - at that point why aren't we discussing signing a FA last year or in 2019...don't fuel your frustrations like that :)
Don't tempt me to go back several years of "would have, could have, should have's".

Side note. When I was looking at KC's depth chart on my MVS post, I had completely forgotten about Josh Gordon. Amazing they are still hanging on to the guy in the hope that he will some day be a great WR again. He is still cashing in on his really good 2013 season, 9 years later.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put more towards it being Jones on the wheel route and screens.
I expect to see a lot of Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time. Motion and split one of them out with Cobb in the slot and Lazard on the outside. Both backs are capable receivers, maybe the best 2 on the team currently. A veteran has to be added even if just to help mentor all of these inexperienced guys. Draftwise a day 1 and a day 2 are absolute necessities. IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect to see a lot of Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time. Motion and split one of them out with Cobb in the slot and Lazard on the outside. Both backs are capable receivers, maybe the best 2 on the team currently. A veteran has to be added even if just to help mentor all of these inexperienced guys. Draftwise a day 1 and a day 2 are absolute necessities. IMO.

Both Jones and Dillon can catch the ball out of the backfield but don't confuse that with either of them being able to adequately replace a receiver.

Their average depth of targets was 0.9 yards for Jones and 0.4 for Dillon last season.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Jones split out in the past. He is very capable of grabbing a few more receptions this season from there. I am not one of these guys who thinks DA will be replaced by a FA, a 1st round pick WR, any TE in the draft etc. etc. etc. MLF and AR are going to have to spread the ball around and get a little creative. I appreciate your input. After reading it I still expect to see Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time with one of the going in motion and splitting out.

Reaction score
I feel like a coke addict that hasn't had a hit since 2014......yes, I want some good WR's and have put way too much thought into it.
Don’t feel bad. I was doing an interactive mock and getting anxious when all the WR we’re gone by #22, then again by #28 as if it were a conspiracy. The next 3 best rated players according to each site were QB QB RB. I could sense MLF blowing up my phone with texts of
What?!!
I was about to demand a recount!

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not one of these guys who thinks DA will be replaced by a FA, a 1st round pick WR, any TE in the draft etc. etc. etc. MLF and AR are going to have to spread the ball around and get a little creative. I appreciate your input. After reading it I still expect to see Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time with one of the going in motion and splitting out.

I agree that there's no way to replace Adams with a single player. The Packers will need several guys to step up and contribute to it.

While it's entirely possible that either one of Dillon or Jones will split out occasionally I don't expect any of them to be targeted downfield on the majority of those plays.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess right now is that the Packers draft Christian Watson as a guy that can grow into an elite receiver and possesses the kind of speed the Packers need. I think they go Burks over Olave because the Packers are big on the athletic profile of first rounders and Olave's weight puts him below what the Packers normally like. Burks has the physical attributes to be a dominant intermediate receiver AND an elite run blocker; run blocking is very important to MLF and I'm not sure that Olave's size is going to endear him to MLF. I throw Watson in there as well because his physical attributes have the potential to turn him into the best receiver in the draft. If the Packers use a first on Burks and a second on Watson, I would be optimistic that the receiving group might become very good by the playoffs next year.
The sad part is that you are not the only one that has Watson moving up. In fact I have him rated higher than Drake London who I feel is going to be a bust. He won’t be able to get away with those circus catches in the pros consistently, and he had a hard time creating separation. That is just my opinion though.

Reaction score
I think it’s entirely reasonable to game plan towards a mix of more running and short passing plays earlier on in the season. It would also help our cause if we went out and invested in a stud OL again if there’s one with great value.

It makes logical sense that having a couple of high profile WR rookies will pay off more as the season progresses. MLF Scheme should naturally lean towards veteran playmakers while testing the Rookies more and more as time allows.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it’s entirely reasonable to game plan towards a mix of more running and short passing plays earlier on in the season. It would also help our cause if we went out and invested in a stud OL again if there’s one with great value.

It makes logical sense that having a couple of high profile WR rookies will pay off more as the season progresses. MLF Scheme should naturally lean towards veteran playmakers while testing the Rookies more and more as time allows.

With the Packers completely lacking talent at wide receiver they will need at least either a veteran or a rookie to contribute right away. Otherwise the offense will struggle.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Packers completely lacking talent at wide receiver they will need at least either a veteran or a rookie to contribute right away. Otherwise the offense will struggle.
Disagree unless you mean that by contribute, an incoming veteran and/or rookie get three or four targets a game which is a contribution allbeit not huge.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to run an offense and win as a football team. we had 2 out of 3 phases last year to win it all and again came up short. Losing Adams is huge, but it's not a death blow. Hardly. Even with who we have, I'm pretty confident Rodgers still is around that 4K passing mark, lower in the league INT's and upper 30's-40's TD again.

I think our defense will be stronger and our special teams had nowhere to go but up. It will suck a bit not seeing Rodgers and Adams make it look so easy sometimes, but other guys are going to make it work and while we may lose some from one player I think just having Rodgers lead the offense will keep it at least good enough and some small improvement from D and I expect a rather large one from special teams this team will be right back in the thick of it when January rolls around. it will just look a little different is all.

Reaction score
Obviously I’m talking both.

The thread topic being, how does scheme play into this scenario? It’s completely reasonable to rely on veteran position groups until the receiving options get more time in the system.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t feel bad. I was doing an interactive mock and getting anxious when all the WR we’re gone by #22, then again by #28 as if it were a conspiracy. The next 3 best rated players according to each site were QB QB RB. I could sense MLF blowing up my phone with texts of
What?!!
I was about to demand a recount!
Trade down or take the RB which will probably be needed greatly in 2023.

Let the board come to you. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to run an offense and win as a football team. we had 2 out of 3 phases last year to win it all and again came up short. Losing Adams is huge, but it's not a death blow. Hardly. Even with who we have, I'm pretty confident Rodgers still is around that 4K passing mark, lower in the league INT's and upper 30's-40's TD again.

I think our defense will be stronger and our special teams had nowhere to go but up. It will suck a bit not seeing Rodgers and Adams make it look so easy sometimes, but other guys are going to make it work and while we may lose some from one player I think just having Rodgers lead the offense will keep it at least good enough and some small improvement from D and I expect a rather large one from special teams this team will be right back in the thick of it when January rolls around. it will just look a little different is all.
Very much agree and looking forward to the different look.

D

Deleted member 6794

Disagree unless you mean that by contribute, an incoming veteran and/or rookie get three or four targets a game which is a contribution allbeit not huge.

You're fooling yourself if you truly believe the offense will excel by solely adding a receiver who will get a maximum of three or four targets a game.

I don't believe that to be true. Rodgers is an amazing quarterback but he wouldn't be able to make it work with the current receiving corps. With that being said I fully expect the position to be addressed before the start of the season.

The thread topic being, how does scheme play into this scenario? It’s completely reasonable to rely on veteran position groups until the receiving options get more time in the system.

Opponents will sell out to stop the run if the Packers can't successfully throw the ball, making it extremely tough to run against them. There's no doubt the team needs to be able to move the chains with their passing attacking, otherwise they will struggle mightily.

JimmyTaylorNut31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you need enough speed to pose that deep threat and force teams to pay attention to it. But those shots down the field do not have to come left and right. Rodgers used to hit Jordy Nelson deep fairly often but that was precipitated by who teams had to cover underneath. Early in the year Rodgers missed MVS a number of times. He hit him for the big one when we went into Minneapolis. But how often was he targeted over the year.
I agree! You have to have someone with enough speed to keep at least one safety deep to protect against the long ball to create space for mid-range and shorter pass routes to get open. People have to remember that the Packers won most of the games that Adams missed due to injury. It is my opinion that Rodgers is best when he spreads the ball around fairly evenly and that a defense never knows who the featured receiver is. That means that you need at least three guys that can create enough space to be considered "open" so the pass can be completed. One good to very good veteran and two higher draft picks would be very helpful in making the offense as dangerous as it was the last two seasons. We also have to remember that we have two 1,000 yard running backs also.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree! You have to have someone with enough speed to keep at least one safety deep to protect against the long ball to create space for mid-range and shorter pass routes to get open. People have to remember that the Packers won most of the games that Adams missed due to injury. It is my opinion that Rodgers is best when he spreads the ball around fairly evenly and that a defense never knows who the featured receiver is. That means that you need at least three guys that can create enough space to be considered "open" so the pass can be completed. One good to very good veteran and two higher draft picks would be very helpful in making the offense as dangerous as it was the last two seasons. We also have to remember that we have two 1,000 yard running backs also.

It's interesting to note that Rodgers has targeted running backs and tight ends on 55.5% of his throws when Adams was out for seven games over the past three seasons. While he was spreading the ball around more it still indicates a lack of talent at wide receiver which I don't believe the Packers will be able to overcome for an entire season.

Members online

Latest posts