OT...basketball

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now they're back. Playoffs resume. Wow. Interesting 24 hours. We'll see how this reverberates.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they can or cannot do anything. I'm just saying I don't like it. But these athletes have a large amount of fame. I don't understand why they have to make their political statements on the job. Why can't they wait until after the game and talk all the politics they want? Let them call up First Take and tell them they want to talk about social justice issues, I'm sure they would eagerly give them all the time they want (one reason I don't watch First Take anymore).

Now in this case, Goodell is telling them to go ahead and make all the political statements they want on the job, so the green flag is out. But that isn't going to make me like the product any more. If I want to watch politics, there are plenty of channels devoted to just that.
Goodell started down this slippery slope by allowing all the pink garbage on the field. I said then that all the political junk has to stay off the field. That stuff can be done on other venues. None of this extraneous stuff belongs between the lines.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell started down this slippery slope by allowing all the pink garbage on the field. I said then that all the political junk has to stay off the field. That stuff can be done on other venues. None of this extraneous stuff belongs between the lines.

Protests should he peaceful, except the ones I don't like. And I don't know how to say this gently, but cancer isn't a political issue...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Suddenly freedom of speech and expression doesn't seem so free. I wonder what has transpired over the last 3 years, 220 days, 0 hours, and 27 minutes to create this change?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people need to ask themselves, "what do they want the police to do" Seriously.
Seriously, yes. Blake had already shrugged off a taser, and the cops had already shown they were no match for him physically. They had a felony warrant for his arrest, including ****** assault. Do they just let him get in his car and drive away? With the children? Did the cops even know whose children they were? What if he rapes someone else? So if you can fight the cops to a standstill, you just get to walk?

The thing most of these guys have in common is not the color of their skin (which I consider irrelevant). It's that they have criminal records a mile long and that they fight the police. You want to burn the city down, and frankly, destroy the country (because that's what's happening) over some criminal? So you can have another potential sex offender on the street? We can and should talk about police brutality, but somewhere along the line we've gotten our priorities seriously messed up. The heroes are villains and the villains are heroes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we've turned into a virtue signaling,, culture canceling bunch of whiney, hypocritical ****ing bigots. Thanks a lot Goodell. :)

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, yes. Blake had already shrugged off a taser, and the cops had already shown they were no match for him physically. They had a felony warrant for his arrest, including ****** assault. Do they just let him get in his car and drive away? With the children? Did the cops even know whose children they were? What if he rapes someone else? So if you can fight the cops to a standstill, you just get to walk?

The thing most of these guys have in common is not the color of their skin (which I consider irrelevant). It's that they have criminal records a mile long and that they fight the police. You want to burn the city down, and frankly, destroy the country (because that's what's happening) over some criminal? So you can have another potential sex offender on the street? We can and should talk about police brutality, but somewhere along the line we've gotten our priorities seriously messed up. The heroes are villains and the villains are heroes.

If you consider skin color irrelevant when discussing race-related police aggression, which has damning statistics as proof, then I'm not sure why you're writing. You should be listening.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to say something about prisons. The American people just look the other way. They just accept that punishment is what is best for offenders. Nevermind that punishment itself either cowers a person or makes them meaner. That ****** abuse is taken as a given. That guards will put a man in a cell knowing the other, larger man will **** him. That we do not separate violent criminals from the non violent. The mentally disturbed are not treated correctly nor separated. These things are unconscionable and yet we don't fix them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Cancel culture" is bad BUT CANCEL THE PROTESTS!!!!
zero issues with protests, rioting and burning I do but that's different. Never will you ever find a place in real life or internet life where I've said racial inequality shouldn't be protested or fought against.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now they're back. Playoffs resume. Wow. Interesting 24 hours. We'll see how this reverberates.
yup. these empty gestures never pan out. noisy celebs have never changed anything. it starts with the everyday person. police and citizenry need to reevaluate how they interact with each other. it's an emergency.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Telling ppl they can't use their platform to make a political statement is, in itself, political.
They can do what they want. Nobody is telling the otherwise. Their fans can also do whatever they want. So long as they are willing to deal the the inevitable consequences, that's on them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So have the Packers made a press release calling for people to stop burning down Kenosha? Or do they care about that?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero issues with protests, rioting and burning I do but that's different. Never will you ever find a place in real life or internet life where I've said racial inequality shouldn't be protested or fought against.

You just said you were
They can do what they want. Nobody is telling the otherwise. Their fans can also do whatever they want. So long as they are willing to deal the the inevitable consequences, that's on them.

I agree with that. I just think ppl like to threaten consequences in a way that's not realistic. Ratings may decline but they won't decline as much as baseball's have, and I haven't seen any monetary impact on baseball yet.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you consider skin color irrelevant when discussing race-related police aggression, which has damning statistics as proof, then I'm not sure why you're writing. You should be listening.
Think about this black people make up 13 percent of United States population yet they commit over 50% of the nation's murders, 35% of the violent crimes. Common Sense should tell you they are going to have more violent police confrontations based on the statistics. If all you do is listen you will not get all the facts. You have to do your own research.

Violent crimes / Death by police
Blacks 38% / 111
All other races 62% / 311
Hmmmm that ratio looks pretty even

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Protests should he peaceful, except the ones I don't like. And I don't know how to say this gently, but cancer isn't a political issue...
The fact that it’s about one particular type of cancer makes it very political. All of that stuff needs to stay off the field. The owners are stupid to allow any of this stuff during Employee work hours.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Suddenly freedom of speech and expression doesn't seem so free. I wonder what has transpired over the last 3 years, 220 days, 0 hours, and 27 minutes to create this change?
Freedom of speech and expression does not Include breaking legal contractual obligations with your employer. I would like to see all the walk offs and boycotters fired immediately. They’ve earned their pink slips.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that. I just think ppl like to threaten consequences in a way that's not realistic. Ratings may decline but they won't decline as much as baseball's have, and I haven't seen any monetary impact on baseball yet.

I really think you're going to be surprised how badly they're hurting themselves. Maybe not as bad as the NBA and MLB but they've lost a lot of fans, many of them permanently. The NHL is the only one who has been smart enough to leave politics where they belong.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell started down this slippery slope by allowing all the pink garbage on the field.
Lol, I have to admit when I first read this I thought you were talking about Communist garbage.

Suddenly freedom of speech and expression doesn't seem so free.
I know you're not talking about the NBA, they've let them do and say everything they want - as long as it isn't against China, of course. In fact, it appears the players are running the league. And they're running it right down the drain.

You just said you wereI agree with that. I just think ppl like to threaten consequences in a way that's not realistic. Ratings may decline but they won't decline as much as baseball's have, and I haven't seen any monetary impact on baseball yet.
NBA ratings are down, but the TV contracts are locked in for several years yet. So they'll get their TV money, no matter what they draw. It may affect their next negotiations. Or maybe some of this madness will fade away after the elections. But if they're happy with having half the audience, or 2/3 or whatever, more power to them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that it’s about one particular type of cancer makes it very political. All of that stuff needs to stay off the field. The owners are stupid to allow any of this stuff during Employee work hours.

Breast cancer awareness is political?!?!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think you're going to be surprised how badly they're hurting themselves. Maybe not as bad as the NBA and MLB but they've lost a lot of fans, many of them permanently. The NHL is the only one who has been smart enough to leave politics where they belong.

And the NHL still has the smallest TV deals. Have MLB deals gone down over the decade plus of declining ratings? If Fox won't pay enough for NFL games then I assure you that NBC will.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just said you were
i just said what?
I've canceled nothing. I don't agree with burning down a city because a criminal was trying to escape and he ended up shot? I don't. that's not cancel culture though. If I said now every NBA player needs to be ridiculed and run out of town for boycotting and took steps to do it? Then I would. When I amass followers to attack someone that doesn't agree with me, that is. when i petition for a protestor, an actual protestor not the violence makers, to lose their job because they showed up to protest something, then i'd be guilty. But that's not what is happening here.

I don't think this latest thing had much to do with race really. you have a guy that already broke free from police once after apparently being wrestled to the ground, had a knife, had a felony arrest warrant, has a history in the area with those PD, was part of a domestic call and reaching into his car while police were trying to apprehend. I don't care what color you are, you just put yourself in a terrible position. People don't always get shot in that situation, but often times they will. I know i'm not really looking to get into a car and wrestle someone at the very least has a knife that I know of and maybe more inside after he's made it abundantly clear he's not coming with me. would you?

want something to burn a city for? How about Tamir Rice? The police car wasn't even stopped for a kid at a playground before the cop jumped out and started shooting. A kid who the caller said thought it was a toy gun and nobody else around. There was zero attempt to do anything but shoot someone in that situation.

But this situation? not remotely similar to that.

Latest posts