OJ Howard rumored to be on trade block...

What would you give up for OJ Howard?

• 3rd round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4th round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 5th round pick or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 6th round pick or less

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nothing, no thanks

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Tight end is not one of those positions though.

The Packers spent a significant amount of money on the tight end position in the past few years. Unfortunately that didn't work out as planned either.

No way for me. Sternberger and Tonyan. Lewis to do some heavy lifting.

Howard would present a significant upgrade over Sternberger and Tonyan.

No I'd rather The Pack draft a TE than waste money on burnouts.

Howard is only 25 years old.

It was either Gronk stay retired and count ~10 million towards the Patriots cap, or trade him to the only team he would agree to come out of retirement for, along with receive draft capital.

If Gronkowski would have stayed retired he wouldn't have counted against the Patriots cap. He didn't last year either.

Howard has graded out at 41.9 in 2017 (the worst of ANY 1st rounder their rookie season), 89.4 in 2018 (the 2nd highest grade in the league for TEs) and 54.7 in 2019 (as mentioned worse the Jimmy freaking Graham).

For the record, PFF graded Howard at 61.4 during his rookie season in 2017.

While there's no doubt he struggled last season it seems Arians not using him based on his strengths significantly contributed to it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but watching tape and factoring in their ages, I will never be convinced they are on similar footing at this moment in both their careers. Personally don't care what grading metric is used, there are a ton of metrics out there that would claim Martinez better than many ILBs...and we're all vastly too smart to not realize them wrong.

I'm not opposed to ignoring this as an option merely if Gute and them think they have the future in Tonyan and/or Stern...which I think they really think is the case. Add a 4th project type guy in the draft (few decent raw projects I like 4th round on).

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes on Howard for me. Our 4th and a 6 maybe, but my sense for his market value is not good. I wouldn't be heartbroken to part with our 3rd. I'd rather have him than use a 3rd or later on any of this year's draft eligible TEs.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Gronkowski would have stayed retired he wouldn't have counted against the Patriots cap. He didn't last year either.
Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm far from a cap expert), but if Gronk would have officially filed for retirement, it would have resulted in a dead cap hit of roughly 10+ million for 2020.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just don't think we need a tight end. I believe I am going to be happy with the production we get with what we have. We could probably use that draft pick and that money for someplace else.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can reasonably expect maybe 100 or 200 yards out of Lewis and Tonyan each. Maybe. That's a lot of work for Sternberger who has yet to show anything. Oof. Call me crazy, but I would not be happy with that production.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers spent a significant amount of money on the tight end position in the past few years. Unfortunately that didn't work out as planned either.

Howard is only 25 years old.

For the record, PFF graded Howard at 61.4 during his rookie season in 2017.

While there's no doubt he struggled last season it seems Arians not using him based on his strengths significantly contributed to it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Perhaps they changed their grading system since then but this is where I got that info

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perhaps they changed their grading system since then but this is where I got that info

That's why trading for a TE who has been in the league for a couple of years is a good idea. Tight ends aren't good NFL players in their first couple of years, those that are are VERY rare. Howard has shown the potential to be an elite receiving TE and adequate at blocking, that is worth a very late second round pick.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers play the Bucs this upcoming season, so you will not have to wait long to see us tear into that ***. ;)

It was either Gronk stay retired and count ~10 million towards the Patriots cap, or trade him to the only team he would agree to come out of retirement for, along with receive draft capital. It’s not your normal value for value swap. Not to mention, even on that level, you’re talking about a Gronk that has taken an entire season off. Far from a guarantee he will ever be at peak performance again.
it begs to reason...Gronk will be in as good of shape as he is accustomed to which is notable. His melon is about the only concern outside of the obvious other bad injury he had. all this being said...a 4th round pick STINKS....a revitalized Gronk will make that a steal for any franchise...and now we have dolt boogar mcfarland to deal w crowing about the bucs....argghhhh

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm far from a cap expert), but if Gronk would have officially filed for retirement, it would have resulted in a dead cap hit of roughly 10+ million for 2020.

No, Gronkowski having retired wouldn't have resulted in any dead money counting against the Patriots cap.

Just don't think we need a tight end. I believe I am going to be happy with the production we get with what we have. We could probably use that draft pick and that money for someplace else.

I don't think the optimism about Sternberger, Tonyan and Lewis is justified by any means.

I don't know about the reasoning behind the discrepancy but according to the numbers posted on Howard's PFF premium stats site he was graded at 61.4 during his rookie season.

Latest posts