OJ Howard rumored to be on trade block...

What would you give up for OJ Howard?

• 3rd round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4th round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 5th round pick or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 6th round pick or less

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nothing, no thanks

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts, our TE position is what I would categorize as "fine". I mean everyone knows I'm a huge Big Dawg fan, believe Jace is surely ascending and am optimistic on Tonyan...BUT this draft class is nothing to write home about and we are still essentially "hoping" Tonyan and Jace click at a position that often times takes a few years for someone to grow into what they are.

Enter OJ Howard. Let's be honest he isn't the next Austin Hooper, but the dude just 4 drafts ago was one of the highest touted TE coming out of Alabama and is still an athletic TE that can line up anywhere. While he is not fearful of blocking, he is a receiving weapon for sure and IMO would instantly be our best "known" receiving threat in the TE room (Sternberger just isn't known yet...).

If I'm Gute and Tampa says they'll take a Day 3 pick you do this in a heartbeat!!! However, this is where I'm bringing up Lane Taylor. Tampa just signed Brady and protecting him should be their top priority and Lane's team friendly contract and experience could be the bargaining chip to toss in with a pick. As it appears we at least won't be saying goodbye to Linsley this season, its time we use Taylor to our benefit.

The kicker with Howard is his cap hit is only like $2.5 Million and Green Bay would have another year team option to keep him into 2021...to possibly wrap up a 25 year old promising TE that has proven more than any of ours receiving wise for two years....yes please!

I honestly see this as way too good of a thing to do, which means we probably won't do it, but another NFC North team will do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't know how much it would take in draft capital, but in terms of skill set you'd be hard pressed to find a better players for Petals' offense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much it would take in draft capital, but in terms of skill set you'd be hard pressed to find a better players for Petals' offense.

I truly think it is gonna take a 3rd...which I'm not necessarily a fan of...a 2021 3rd maybe as I suspect we will be getting at least a 4th comp or so.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I truly think it is gonna take a 3rd...which I'm not necessarily a fan of...a 2021 3rd maybe as I suspect we will be getting at least a 4th comp or so.

I would do pick #94 for him.

He is the best athlete at the position in the NFL. He was the best TE prospect coming out of college since Rob Gronkowski. He is a complete TE in that he can block and make plays in the passing game. There is real potential for him to be the best player at his position in this NFL-- better than Kittle. That's not just a pipe dream.

It is totally normal for rookie TE's to come along slowly. Not only is TE a position that's slow to develop, but the Bucs also made the bizarre decision after drafting Howard to pay Cameron Brate, a veteran who soaked up targets. They used Howard as a blocker almost as much as they put him out into a route.

You could see the breakout beginning in 2018, as the Bucs began to use him more frequently. Before his ankle injury, he was about as good as anyone going at that time.

Then enter Bruce Arians, a man who famously said that you pay wide receivers to catch the ball-- tight ends are there to block, and Howard's usage predictably fell off a cliff.

But it's all still there-- the talent, the dual-threat skills, and he's just 25. In a better situation, he could break out immediately.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking over our draft stock, depth of WR and most likely what our roster looks like IF they wouldn't listen to a Lane Taylor + lower than #94 pick offer, you are probably right that a 3rd round pick this year (#94) value wise is worth him for sure.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs were asking for a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline last year. They're looking to trade up for a stud OT next week so they're trying to package #14 & Howard to move up to 9, 10 or 11 most likely. Our day 3 pick isn't going to help that situation and I sincerely hope Gute doesn't consider or #30 or #62 in any sort of deal. Less than that won't get TB's attention... so this probably won't be happening for GB, IMHO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt they get a 2nd personally. With I'd argue 4 maybe as many as 6 potentially first year draft and play tackles in this draft they're setting pretty at #14 for one IMO...so I also mildly wonder or scratch my head at if moving 2-5 picks forward really changes the player quality if OT is their target that much.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Bucs were asking for a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline last year. They're looking to trade up for a stud OT next week so they're trying to package #14 & Howard to move up to 9, 10 or 11 most likely. Our day 3 pick isn't going to help that situation and I sincerely hope Gute doesn't consider or #30 or #62 in any sort of deal. Less than that won't get TB's attention... so this probably won't be happening for GB, IMHO.

They may try to package Howard with #14 to get up higher in round one. But if they traded him to us, they could always package that pick with #14. That's if the teams high in the first round are more interested in a pick than in Howard.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may try to package Howard with #14 to get up higher in round one. But if they traded him to us, they could always package that pick with #14. That's if the teams high in the first round are more interested in a pick than in Howard.
Which was my point regarding Gute NOT considering picks 30 or 62 for Howard. Anything but those picks doesn't help TB move up even 1 spot.

"With I'd argue 4 maybe as many as 6 potentially first year draft and play tackles in this draft they're setting pretty at #14 for one IMO...so I also mildly wonder or scratch my head at if moving 2-5 picks forward really changes the player quality if OT is their target that much."

They may have their heart set on one of them, or one of 2 so feel the need to move? Pure speculation on my part, just what I've read might be their motivation for moving Howard.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For reference...

#9 - JAX
#10 - CLE
#11 - NYJ
#12 - LV
#13 - SF

What are those team's TE situations..

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For reference...

#9 - JAX
#10 - CLE
#11 - NYJ
#12 - LV
#13 - SF

What are those team's TE situations..
Good point... all are pretty set with the exception of NYJ's. Doubt #14 & Howard would get them to #7 Panthers who could use a receiving TE, and Arizona at #8 need an OT or CB MUCH more than a TE.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point... all are pretty set with the exception of NYJ's. Doubt #14 & Howard would get them to #7 Panthers who could use a receiving TE, and Arizona at #8 need an OT or CB MUCH more than a TE.

Yup, if their dream is to move up, the trade Howard for a pick and then package picks is probably their only avenue. Sadly though I don't think their first rounder + what they get for Howard would be enough either and they would need to drain their draft capital.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would absolutely be willing to part with a 3rd rounder to acquire Howard. Maybe it doesn't get it done, but Gute needs to be all up in the conversation. And if they want Lane, send him too.

He fits the profile for the type of guys Gute has been after. Young, ascending veteran (not quite veteran status yet, but approaching 2nd contract), versatile, reasonably durable (has had some ankle issues, nothing to be overly concerned about, IMO). Like the Smiths, Amos, etc., their best football is ahead of them. Still on rookie deal. If the Packers like what they see this season, he could potentially be locked up on a team friendly deal.

On the surface, everything looks good.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howard's 2020 base salary & '20 cap is $1.978Mil (TB eats his $1.552Mil SB). The 5th yr. option decision is due in May & projected to be in the $6Mil range, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker to pick that up I wouldn't think? I'm warming to the idea of our 3rd Rounder...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howard's 2020 base salary & '20 cap is $1.978Mil (TB eats his $1.552Mil SB). The 5th yr. option decision is due in May & projected to be in the $6Mil range, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker to pick that up I wouldn't think? I'm warming to the idea of our 3rd Rounder...

Another aspect of IF it cost a 3rd and we did it is while I know he is a TE, this truly would make Gute much more likely to not feel pushed to HAVE to walk away with a high end receiver pick. He could let the depth of the draft play out and hit the spot in the 4th and then a second time also and allow the new additions of Funchess and Howard + Hopefully progression out of Lazard + Healthy ESB + MVS facing a do or die year + Begelton signing + healthy Jace finally solve the passing game issues present last year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the crazy thing is the depth at WR is going to play out one way or another...it will actually push some "better" prospects down slightly if a run starts (top tier run and 2nd tier run on WRs)...meaning if you're a team positioned to not HAVE to chase one you might find a OT or a iDL or DB that you didn't think you'd have a shot at a pick is sitting there now. OR it causes folks to sit and wait knowing there is some insane depth in this draft...I think we will see two serious WR runs in this draft.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass.

I've got 5 reasons in 2021 for why:

Florida's Kyle Pitts (1st Round)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Texas A&M's Jalen Wydermyer (2nd Round)

Miami's Brevin Jordan (3rd Round)

BYU's Matt Bushman (4th Round)

Penn State's Pat Freiermuth (5th Round)

If 2020 is the year to take a WR, 2021 is the year to take a TE. Let Jace make his impact this year and double down if/when Lewis retires or we cut Tonyan.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass.

I've got 5 reasons in 2021 for why:

Florida's Kyle Pitts (1st Round)

Texas A&M's Jalen Wydermyer (2nd Round)

Miami's Brevin Jordan (3rd Round)

BYU's Matt Bushman (4th Round)

Penn State's Pat Freiermuth (5th Round)

If 2020 is the year to take a WR, 2021 is the year to take a TE. Let Jace make his impact this year and double down if/when Lewis retires or we cut Tonyan.
So 2021 looks to be rich in TEs. Good point. I’d still take Howard for a 3rd rounder. If that doesn’t happen (or even if it does), I’m looking for a pretty big step up from Jace in 2020. Well, if there’s a 2020........

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My general take is that it's worth spending a pick on an established player if it's a need for that draft. Meaning, if we need a TE and are contemplating it in this draft then why not use it. I get not using a first round pick but there are draft busts every season. If you can essentially guarantee production out of a player, that's a well-used draft pick in my opinion.

That said, I don't know enough about OJ Howard to say if he's worth it. I barely know his name, so I probably haven't watched enough Sportscenter lately.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OJ Howard would be a great option. He hasnt produced like some where hoping but he did have Winston as his qb and they targeted Evans and Goodwin a lot. I think he would fit what Green Bay needs really well. I am guessing it takes a 3rd. Anything less that would be a steal in my mind.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace deserves his shot. For Gute to just trade for Howard means he has no faith in him to produce this year. You gotta stick with your picks. If that were the case MVS and ESB would be FAs right now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace deserves his shot. For Gute to just trade for Howard means he has no faith in him to produce this year. You gotta stick with your picks. If that were the case MVS and ESB would be FAs right now.

Sorry but I don't see adding OJ to the TE room as any sign of anything towards Jace. Shoot I see OJ as the PERFECT mentor combination alongside Lewis. I mean between those two Jace's improvement in all fields by watching, seeing and listening could be insane. I personally WOULD LOVE a line up where we run double TE formations where Jace and OJ are out there, both capable of splitting out along with Adams and a joint backfield of Jones and Williams...try planning for what is happening defense....let's go!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't see adding OJ to the TE room as any sign of anything towards Jace. Shoot I see OJ as the PERFECT mentor combination alongside Lewis. I mean between those two Jace's improvement in all fields by watching, seeing and listening could be insane. I personally WOULD LOVE a line up where we run double TE formations where Jace and OJ are out there, both capable of splitting out along with Adams and a joint backfield of Jones and Williams...try planning for what is happening defense....let's go!
I see it the same way. Trying to land Howard is NOT a vote of no confidence in Jace, or even Tonyan. He’d be a welcome veteran presence. And c’mon, it’s not like Howard is the second coming of Gronkowski or Kittle. IF Gluten can pull it off with a 3rd round pick, I’d be fine with that, especially given the long learning curve for TEs in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

Enter OJ Howard. Let's be honest he isn't the next Austin Hooper, but the dude just 4 drafts ago was one of the highest touted TE coming out of Alabama and is still an athletic TE that can line up anywhere. While he is not fearful of blocking, he is a receiving weapon for sure and IMO would instantly be our best "known" receiving threat in the TE room (Sternberger just isn't known yet...).

If I'm Gute and Tampa says they'll take a Day 3 pick you do this in a heartbeat!!! However, this is where I'm bringing up Lane Taylor. Tampa just signed Brady and protecting him should be their top priority and Lane's team friendly contract and experience could be the bargaining chip to toss in with a pick. As it appears we at least won't be saying goodbye to Linsley this season, its time we use Taylor to our benefit.

While I would like the Buccaneers to agree to that trade I highly doubt they're interested in Taylor. Tampa Bay needs to upgrade the right side of their offensive line where Taylor hasn't taken a single snap since the 2015 season.

Another aspect of IF it cost a 3rd and we did it is while I know he is a TE, this truly would make Gute much more likely to not feel pushed to HAVE to walk away with a high end receiver pick.

The Packers would definitely still need another impact receiver even after acquiring Howard.

Howard would present an upgrade over Sternberger for the 2020 season, therefore it would be a smart move by Gutekunst.

Members online

Latest posts