OJ Howard rumored to be on trade block...

What would you give up for OJ Howard?

• 3rd round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4th round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 5th round pick or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 6th round pick or less

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nothing, no thanks

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs were asking for a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline last year. They're looking to trade up for a stud OT next week so they're trying to package #14 & Howard to move up to 9, 10 or 11 most likely. Our day 3 pick isn't going to help that situation and I sincerely hope Gute doesn't consider or #30 or #62 in any sort of deal. Less than that won't get TB's attention... so this probably won't be happening for GB, IMHO.
Howard would be a decent, but not great addition. Certainly NOT worthy of any deal that includes our 2bd round pick this year. I’d be ok with the 3rd round pick.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would like the Buccaneers to agree to that trade I highly doubt they're interested in Taylor. Tampa Bay needs to upgrade the right side of their offensive line where Taylor hasn't taken a single snap since the 2015 season.

The Packers would definitely still need another impact receiver even after acquiring Howard.

Howard would present an upgrade over Sternberger for the 2020 season, therefore it would be a smart move by Gutekunst.
Yeah on the last point agreed. I’d be ok with trading a 3rd rd pick for Howard. That doesn’t really change the situation with Jace, and maybe helps him by getting some veteran help in the room.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't see adding OJ to the TE room as any sign of anything towards Jace. Shoot I see OJ as the PERFECT mentor combination alongside Lewis. I mean between those two Jace's improvement in all fields by watching, seeing and listening could be insane. I personally WOULD LOVE a line up where we run double TE formations where Jace and OJ are out there, both capable of splitting out along with Adams and a joint backfield of Jones and Williams...try planning for what is happening defense....let's go!
I view a trade for Howard and giving up a 3rd round pick in exchange as ADDITIVE to the TE group. Jace is only in his second year, shows promise, and would likely benefit from a veteran presence like Howard. So I don’t understand the angst about Jace getting his feelings hurt if Howard shows up. Another benefit is the competition it would create. I don’t see anything wrong with the deal, except maybe TBs reluctance to pull the trigger. That said, they need OL help (who doesn’t?) and could address that with an extra 3rd round pick, or we throw in Taylor, even though Taylor is not a great fit in TB.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give them a 4th. Nobody was biting for a 2nd and nobody seems to be trying to throw a 3rd either(that we know of). Hell I'd start at a 5th this year and a 4th next year. OT class is pretty damn good this year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the real question is whether Lefluer can tailor his offense to utilize a double tight end set. If he can, then it would be a worthy endeavor.

As for Jace, I think that it's less about hurting the guy's feelings but more about potentially hampering his development. If his snap count goes from 75% of total snaps (as the #1 TE) down to 15% as the #2 tight end, that would not be helpful. If it shifts to 50% then he can still learn and showcase his talents.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why give up a pick when this guy just became available....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
I'll give them a 4th. Nobody was biting for a 2nd and nobody seems to be trying to throw a 3rd either(that we know of). Hell I'd start at a 5th this year and a 4th next year. OT class is pretty damn good this year.
I agree here. I'd even offer a 4th and our late 6th or earlier 7th rounder to sweeten the offer. I'd like to use our 3rd rounder to firm up OL (assuming we already sprung for a WR) DT, CB or LB etc.. I'd feel good about that type trade with a mid rounder and a late round selection, where we're thick

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass.

I've got 5 reasons in 2021 for why:

Florida's Kyle Pitts (1st Round)

Texas A&M's Jalen Wydermyer (2nd Round)

Miami's Brevin Jordan (3rd Round)

BYU's Matt Bushman (4th Round)

Penn State's Pat Freiermuth (5th Round)

If 2020 is the year to take a WR, 2021 is the year to take a TE. Let Jace make his impact this year and double down if/when Lewis retires or we cut Tonyan.

Brevin Jordan is going earlier than that if he stays healthy. He's a complete and total stud.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but you bias :)

Dude has legit caught my eye though for sure!

Oh I'm incredibly biased. He's good though.

Pretty rare a true freshman TE is the opening day starter, and plays like he belongs. He just needs to show he can stay healthy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if the Packers sent their second round pick out and got Howard. Until Arians came in, he was on track to be an elite receiving TE (seriously, pretty sure he had the highest YPC for any rookie or second year TE ever). Either way, Packers would get a great TE with a fifth year option and skip the development period most teams face when drafting tight ends.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the real question is whether Lefluer can tailor his offense to utilize a double tight end set. If he can, then it would be a worthy endeavor.

As for Jace, I think that it's less about hurting the guy's feelings but more about potentially hampering his development. If his snap count goes from 75% of total snaps (as the #1 TE) down to 15% as the #2 tight end, that would not be helpful. If it shifts to 50% then he can still learn and showcase his talents.

I think Jace playing 75% of the tight end snaps would be something of a bad sign for the Packers position next year. He's got potential, but graduating from almost 70 offensive snaps as a rookie to over 700 is a BIG jump.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tight ends received a total of 1,502 offensive snaps on 986 plays when MLF was the offensive coordinator with the Titans in 2018 while their depth chart featured Jonnu Smith, Luke Stocker, MyCole Pruitt and Anthony Firkser for most of the season.

While MLF used more than one tight end less frequently with the Packers last season he is able to tailor his offense that way.

Why give up a pick when this guy just became available....

Because Burton isn't as good as Howard.

I'd be ecstatic if the Packers sent their second round pick out and got Howard. Until Arians came in, he was on track to be an elite receiving TE (seriously, pretty sure he had the highest YPC for any rookie or second year TE ever).

Just for the record, Howard's 16.62 yards per catch during his first two seasons ranks fifth among tight ends in league history.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think people understand just what O.J. Howard has the ability to become in an offense that's willing to use him. He is the best athlete at the position in the NFL, he has proven that he can be among the best receiving tight ends in the league when the offense will actually use him, and he is a good blocker. There are like four or five guys in the entire league who even have the potential to be a dual threat on the level of what Howard is capable of.

Trey Burton? 2021 prospects? There's no comparison.

I'm not saying that they need to acquire him at all costs, but to compare his value to bums or guys that won't even come out of college for a year completely ignores what he could be.

For an offense that wants to heavily use the TE position, heavily use play-action, and generally wants personnel that can be equally valuable regardless of run or pass, he's a perfect fit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

This isn't actually a question. We've seen him do it, and we've seen his same offensive system do it elsewhere.

GB was 11th in 12 personnel frequency last year (25% of snaps). They used 12, 13, or 22 on a combined 32% of snaps, and the % with multiple TE's was actually a little higher than they because some of their 21 personnel featured a TE as the lead blocker.

In 2018, Tennessee was 3rd in 12 personnel frequency (36%) and used 12, 13, or 21 personnel (2 TE, 3 TE) a combined 52% of the time (they did not carry a FB, so 21 personnel used a TE).

So when he has the personnel to do it, Petals has proven to use multiple tight ends about as much as anyone.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In general I agree. The Packers have to consider that Howard will be a free agent after the 2020 season though.

This could be tricky. Packers arent in a position to spend much money on FA from the outside. But for a 3rd or 4th rounder it is worth a try.
The safe option would be bringing Burton in on a cheap 2 year deal like they did with funchess, wagner and Kirksey.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, I didn't even consider that Howard would be a FA. We would be trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental. If Howard got 600-800 yards and 7 TDs he's definitely going to want to get paid. So unless we win a Super Bowl, that's a 4 year contract just thrown away for nothing but a feel good story. I'd rather we just unravel and get a Top 15 Pick for the trouble. All 5 of those TEs I mentioned earlier will be available in 2021 at that range.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, I didn't even consider that Howard would be a FA. We would be trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental. If Howard got 600-800 yards and 7 TDs he's definitely going to want to get paid. So unless we win a Super Bowl, that's a 4 year contract just thrown away for nothing but a feel good story. I'd rather we just unravel and get a Top 15 Pick for the trouble. All 5 of those TEs I mentioned earlier will be available in 2021 at that range.

He was a first round pick. His contract has a fifth year option the Packers could pick up, no? Plus, importantly, he has the potential to be great and the Bucs suffered though the worst years of drafting a TE. Packers could stay an elite TE prospect in 2021 and that player might turn into a great TE by 2023/2024.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without looking at the cap figure for 2022, I would be leery to take him just to possibly jettison him and draft a TE 2 years later. That doesn't make sense in the long run. It would be purely a Super Bowl or bust move.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without looking at the cap figure for 2022, I would be leery to take him just to possibly jettison him and draft a TE 2 years later. That doesn't make sense in the long run. It would be purely a Super Bowl or bust move.

Why are you jettisoning him? The idea is that he'd turn into an elite TE. Why would you jettison that for a rookie?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm saying is can we afford to pay him? Clark gets paid next year, Bakh possibly gets paid next year. And guess who becomes a free agent in 2022? Davante Adams. If we can't afford to keep Howard, and he does become the elite TE some think he can be, then why make the trade at all? If we can't win a SB in that 2 years he's on the team before he's playing for someone else, it's a waste.