OJ Howard rumored to be on trade block...

What would you give up for OJ Howard?

• 3rd round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4th round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 5th round pick or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 6th round pick or less

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nothing, no thanks

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way for me. Sternberger and Tonyan. Lewis to do some heavy lifting.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the news that Tom Brady had something up his sleave the whole time, Rob Gronkowski is a Buc. That could possibly leave Oj Howard as the odd man out at TE in Tampa Bay. Although if I was them is keep Howard and get rid of Brate if faced with that choice. No matter rumors are Howard is available and his value has to sit somewhere right around a 4th round pick.

Would you give up a 4th or 5th round pick for a 6-6 251 pound 25 year old, complete te. He only ran a route on 36% of his 700 or so snaps in 2019. So clearly he was used as the blocking te while Cameron Brate was used as the receiving te. He has vast receiving potential that has been left essentially untapped in Tampa Bay so far. I think it would be an absolute coup to secure him in 2020 for a mid round pick. He fits great with Jace Sternberger as he has proven he can be the online option. And he ran a 4.51 40 with a 6.85 3 cone and 4.16 20 yard shuttle. So as a two te set you would have a lot of options as Sternberger could line up in the backfield in an hback role as well...I say gute should pull the trigger despite the fact that this could be a rental situation as Howard is in a contract year unless his fifth year option is exercised. Which could be the smart gamblers option depending on what the number is. Because I suspect after a season with Rodgers a 26 year old Howard would be in prime position to cash in big time.

iF Howard has shown to have a strong work ethic, and leadership feels he’d be a good fit in this locker room, they should send TB a 4th and maybe as high as a 3rd round draft choice.

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts, our TE position is what I would categorize as "fine". I mean everyone knows I'm a huge Big Dawg fan, believe Jace is surely ascending and am optimistic on Tonyan...BUT this draft class is nothing to write home about and we are still essentially "hoping" Tonyan and Jace click at a position that often times takes a few years for someone to grow into what they are.

Enter OJ Howard. Let's be honest he isn't the next Austin Hooper, but the dude just 4 drafts ago was one of the highest touted TE coming out of Alabama and is still an athletic TE that can line up anywhere. While he is not fearful of blocking, he is a receiving weapon for sure and IMO would instantly be our best "known" receiving threat in the TE room (Sternberger just isn't known yet...).

If I'm Gute and Tampa says they'll take a Day 3 pick you do this in a heartbeat!!! However, this is where I'm bringing up Lane Taylor. Tampa just signed Brady and protecting him should be their top priority and Lane's team friendly contract and experience could be the bargaining chip to toss in with a pick. As it appears we at least won't be saying goodbye to Linsley this season, its time we use Taylor to our benefit.

The kicker with Howard is his cap hit is only like $2.5 Million and Green Bay would have another year team option to keep him into 2021...to possibly wrap up a 25 year old promising TE that has proven more than any of ours receiving wise for two years....yes please!

I honestly see this as way too good of a thing to do, which means we probably won't do it, but another NFC North team will do.

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts, our TE position is what I would categorize as "fine". I mean everyone knows I'm a huge Big Dawg fan, believe Jace is surely ascending and am optimistic on Tonyan...BUT this draft class is nothing to write home about and we are still essentially "hoping" Tonyan and Jace click at a position that often times takes a few years for someone to grow into what they are.

Enter OJ Howard. Let's be honest he isn't the next Austin Hooper, but the dude just 4 drafts ago was one of the highest touted TE coming out of Alabama and is still an athletic TE that can line up anywhere. While he is not fearful of blocking, he is a receiving weapon for sure and IMO would instantly be our best "known" receiving threat in the TE room (Sternberger just isn't known yet...).

If I'm Gute and Tampa says they'll take a Day 3 pick you do this in a heartbeat!!! However, this is where I'm bringing up Lane Taylor. Tampa just signed Brady and protecting him should be their top priority and Lane's team friendly contract and experience could be the bargaining chip to toss in with a pick. As it appears we at least won't be saying goodbye to Linsley this season, its time we use Taylor to our benefit.

The kicker with Howard is his cap hit is only like $2.5 Million and Green Bay would have another year team option to keep him into 2021...to possibly wrap up a 25 year old promising TE that has proven more than any of ours receiving wise for two years....yes please!

I honestly see this as way too good of a thing to do, which means we probably won't do it, but another NFC North team will do.

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me see! We just cut a TE who had the same stats over last 3 years as Howard. Granted Graham had more TDs but also way more in salary. Our QB doesn’t throw over the middle not because nobody is open but because he wants to protect his record of fewest INTs. ARs “trust” issue needs to be addressed and throw the ball to the receiver that is designed to be open. He only has eyes for Adams first and then scrambles.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me see! We just cut a TE who had the same stats over last 3 years as Howard. Granted Graham had more TDs but also way more in salary. Our QB doesn’t throw over the middle not because nobody is open but because he wants to protect his record of fewest INTs. ARs “trust” issue needs to be addressed and throw the ball to the receiver that is designed to be open. He only has eyes for Adams first and then scrambles.

I think you need to research a little more than just on the service as you have. Shoot...stat logic as such would say Martinez had the greatest season a Packer linebacker ever has and is the best ILB we've ever had if speaking to just one year. I mean he had the most tackles....

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also compare how many games each played last 3 years. OJ is a better TE by a long shot presently, not overall as Jimmy was a very accomplished TE at one time.

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you need to research a little more than just on the service as you have. Shoot...stat logic as such would say Martinez had the greatest season a Packer linebacker ever has and is the best ILB we've ever had if speaking to just one year. I mean he had the most tackles....

Soothsayertoday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about TEs. But Martinez was the top 4 tackler in NFL last several years. You saw what happened when 49ers blocked him completely out of play not once but twice. The future will tell but someone thought we was worth a huge raise

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about TEs. But Martinez was the top 4 tackler in NFL last several years. You saw what happened when 49ers blocked him completely out of play not once but twice. The future will tell but someone thought we was worth a huge raise

Facepalm....alright. Pointless to discuss. You're right an aged Graham is an equal to Howard.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go for it for a 6th or 7th, nothing more. Look at our track record on TE's the past 15 years, its awful. We had a very good one in the building 2 years ago and let him walk out the door, Jared Cook should still be on the roster. Maybe Lafluer can figure out what to do with that position, he did pretty well with Delanie Walker in Tenn. McCarthy had zero clue after Finley had to leave.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
No I'd rather The Pack draft a TE than waste money on burnouts.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also compare how many games each played last 3 years. OJ is a better TE by a long shot presently, not overall as Jimmy was a very accomplished TE at one time.

PFF focus rated Howard worse (albeit only slightly) then Jimmy Graham for LAST season.

Sure there's hope that it was just a blip based on his age but I don't think many understand just how bad OJ Howard was last year

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF focus rated Howard worse (albeit only slightly) then Jimmy Graham for LAST season.

Sure there's hope that it was just a blip based on his age but I don't think many understand just how bad OJ Howard was last year

See the other poster after. It was VERY clear he was not in the plans at all. I'm not opposed to someone claiming Howard isn't a fit with actual reasons arguably valid, but to say Graham and Howard are equals at this very moment in their careers is like saying Robert Griffin III is equal with Mahomes given his earlier stats....

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is on the block due to Gronk already being secretly sighted....I hate TB now more than ever....All In - pff...all in this!!!!! I hope we kick the living **** out of em given a chance....this makes me angry

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is on the block due to Gronk already being secretly sighted....I hate TB now more than ever....All In - pff...all in this!!!!! I hope we kick the living **** out of em given a chance....this makes me angry

So Gronk signed there and has passed his physical FYI. Howard was rumored to be on the block during the season and I'd assume has been available for trade ever since.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something royally stinks about the whole Gronk Brady crap...4th round pick? He is worth a HELL of a lot more than that if he is 90 pct. Something about this doesn't feel right, and the timing of it isn't a coincidence either.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something royally stinks about the whole Gronk Brady crap...4th round pick? He is worth a HELL of a lot more than that if he is 90 pct. Something about this doesn't feel right, and the timing of it isn't a coincidence either.

Pats in a rebuild, they get a 4th and he's not their problem with him in the NFC. It's a legit move for both parties. Bill gets a 4th for a retired player? Bonus.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may be eating crow with that statement...seriously...but....u very well could be correct that TB has turned into a retirement home.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers play the Bucs this upcoming season, so you will not have to wait long to see us tear into that ***. ;)
It was either Gronk stay retired and count ~10 million towards the Patriots cap, or trade him to the only team he would agree to come out of retirement for, along with receive draft capital. It’s not your normal value for value swap. Not to mention, even on that level, you’re talking about a Gronk that has taken an entire season off. Far from a guarantee he will ever be at peak performance again.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See the other poster after. It was VERY clear he was not in the plans at all. I'm not opposed to someone claiming Howard isn't a fit with actual reasons arguably valid, but to say Graham and Howard are equals at this very moment in their careers is like saying Robert Griffin III is equal with Mahomes given his earlier stats....

I'm using a reference point of LAST season so I'm not sure how you're comparison holds any weight. Also I'm not citing raw stats but rather what his overall play was graded. A closer example would be (to use one closer to home) would be to say they fully expect Wagner to be a pretty good Tackle based in his play in 2018 (a 71.6 grade) while writing off his play in 2019 (a 59.0 grade). And thats with a larger sample size to make a legitimate claim that last year was an aberration.

Howard has graded out at 41.9 in 2017 (the worst of ANY 1st rounder their rookie season), 89.4 in 2018 (the 2nd highest grade in the league for TEs) and 54.7 in 2019 (as mentioned worse the Jimmy freaking Graham).

Those aren't great grades to be proclaiming him better then anybody. He's had 1 pretty elite year and 2 REALLY bad ones. Sure there could be reasons like him being a rookie in 17 or him simply not being used right 19 but its also just as likely that 18 was simply an aberration.

I'm not opposed to bringing him in at a cheap price in a trade simply due to his age and hoping that the excuses for his sub par play prove valid.

However it seems that you have accused another of simply stat watching and then said he was wrong based on (ironically enough) stat watching yourself while neglecting 2 out of his 3 seasons in the league.