Official WFT studs n duds

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Question here, is there a time limit on kicks going over the crossbar ? Their first kick at field goal looked in the highlights looked like it bounced on the bar twice and THEN dropped over after the judges signalled the fail.
No time limit. I think you must have seen it wrong. If it goes over (not under) the crossbar and in between (not outside either) the uprights, its good....even if it takes an hour. ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

No time limit. I think you must have seen it wrong. If it goes over (not under) the crossbar and in between (not outside either) the uprights, its good....even if it takes an hour. ;)
I`ll check it again....on topic still.

U-tube highlights time 2.53, it certainly looked as if it made it. Good call if it missed. Studs refs.

Last edited by a moderator:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to get PO'd at Rodgers for doing this but have grown to accept it. Like you implied, you win some, you lose some. If he can gain an edge by scanning the defense and once in awhile he needs to burn a TO, then so be it. However, it seems his "free plays" have all but dried up, so I don't like seeing him fail at getting the defense to jump and then burning a timeout because he was playing chicken a bit too long. In that situation, I usually prefer he just take the 5 yard loss and not burn a penalty.
in that case, I guess it comes down to what you feel is more important.… the timeout or the 5 yards. A lot of things come into play to make that determination. How much time is left in the game?… what down is it? …what’s the score? field position?… etc… sometimes 5 yards can be huge… and every possession matters.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Ok. You never finished your thought. So what did it look like to you?

I think if you're going to call the defense a stud you have to say it like this. Studs: The WFT for stopping themselves in the redzone.

You don’t get lucky 4 times in a row. Maybe 3, but definitely not 4. ;)

Lowry has had like three straight good games now...
Yes he has. For Lowry it’s a miracle!
Relax. I’m just being sarcastic
My thought is I don't like the rule. It was applied correctly in the game. I'm just not a fan of it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
in that case, I guess it comes down to what you feel is more important.… the timeout or the 5 yards. A lot of things come into play to make that determination. How much time is left in the game?… what down is it? …what’s the score? field position?… etc… sometimes 5 yards can be huge… and every possession matters.
Most definitely situational. 3rd and 1, probably burn a timeout. 1st and 10....take the 5 yards. Rodgers has gotten pretty good at clock management at the end of halves/game with no time outs. But it is still nice to have them, just in case.

Krabs

Reaction score
You nailed it with what I put in bold. That is called "surrendering yourself"....so that you don't get hit. I guarantee you if a Packer defender had come in hard and landed on him, it would have been a penalty for hitting after the play. A player isn't going to be rewarded extra yardage for how far he slides after he surrenders.

So yes, he was hoping to score on that dive, but he just timed it poorly, big mistake on his part, not the refs.
I don't disagree. I just disagree on the giving himself up part. I don't think he was doing that. However, I understand the rule and it was applied correctly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My thought is I don't like the rule. It was applied correctly in the game. I'm just not a fan of it.
So I have to ask. Are you fine with a QB getting hit hard in that situation? Are you fine if the QB keeps sliding or rolling and giving him that extra distance? When do you think the QB is officially down and where should the ball be spotted?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
However, I understand the rule and it was applied correctly.

I was actually shocked, surprised and a bit dumbfounded that they actually applied the rule correctly and didn't give him the TD. Same with the QB sneak that he fumbled. The beauty of instant replay! :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
U-tube highlights time 2.53, it certainly looked as if it made it. Good call if it missed. Studs refs.
I found that kick....it hit the ground first and then bounced over the cross bar. As fun and cool of a kick as it turned out to be, it was a miss as soon as it hit the ground.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
It might seem like Rodgers burns a timeout on occasion but it could very well be possible that he doesn't like the look the offense is in against a specific defensive alignment. I prefer him to take the timeout instead of possibly risking a bad play.

The turf monster on Heinicke's run stopping him short of the goal line should be considered a stud as well.
Ok I’ll go with that, but I just don’t know if it’s the sideline or Rodgers that takes so long to get the play going, before the clock gets down to 2 seconds

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok I’ll go with that, but I just don’t know if it’s the sideline or Rodgers that takes so long to get the play going, before the clock gets down to 2 seconds
I think sometimes it is both. Sometimes I get the impression Rodgers is like a baseball pitcher. He stands there and shakes off what MLF is wanting to call, much like the pitcher who tells the Catcher "no".

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually shocked, surprised and a bit dumbfounded that they actually applied the rule correctly and didn't give him the TD. Same with the QB sneak that he fumbled. The beauty of instant replay! :)
The same thing happened to Rodgers last year in a much more questionable call…. In that case, I didn‘t agree that he was giving himself up but was actually trying to plow through the defender into the end zone, but it was ruled that he was down short of the goal line because he dove head first.

Krabs

Reaction score
So I have to ask. Are you fine with a QB getting hit hard in that situation?
Yes. However, I also understand safety and how the game is changed.
Are you fine if the QB keeps sliding or rolling and giving him that extra distance?
I think sliding is an obvious sign that a player has given up on the play. Where they start sliding is an okay rule to me. Again, I get it is about safety.
When do you think the QB is officially down and where should the ball be spotted?
That seems like an easy question to answer and maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is. When a player dove like Heinicke did I feel like it should be when he is touched.

I get it though. The rule is fair in a sense that it makes the call more objective. If he takes a big hit there then it's a personal foul. I'll be honest here. I don't have a great answer to this situation and maybe it is the best answer already. Just as a football fan I don't like the fact that he dove to score a TD, wasn't touched, and the score is taken away. It just doesn't seem like football. It is what is is. I'm just never going to like the rule. Good thing is that it doesn't come in to play a great deal. Most times the slide is the way a player gives themselves up and that is even more objective.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems like an easy question to answer and maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is. When a player dove like Heinicke did I feel like it should be when he is touched.
Maybe he should wear a flag for those plays.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. However, I also understand safety and how the game is changed.

I think sliding is an obvious sign that a player has given up on the play. Where they start sliding is an okay rule to me. Again, I get it is about safety.

I don't like the fact that he dove to score a TD, wasn't touched, and the score is taken away. It just doesn't seem like football.
Right, if it was (smart) football, he would have dove one second later, assured himself of a TD, as guys came crashing down on him, but he wanted to avoid contact. Really, just a mental mistake on his part. He also probably would have been in and still untouched, had he dove at a higher angle.

I can guarantee you, the next time he is in that situation, he won't stop short.

Attachments

• b0a5ced4347b84ee9ba4aa14d5191bac.jpg
    b0a5ced4347b84ee9ba4aa14d5191bac.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree....I am so tired of seeing that penalty. I know the Refs mission is to protect the guy who is usually the highest paid player, but come on man! They might as well wrap the QB in bubble wrap, give him a pink skirt and put orange cones around him!
I think a lot of fans here would prefer the pink skirts to the uniforms they wore on Sunday. i didn't see the game and when I first saw them (on the thread here) I didn't really notice the yellow stripe on the pants and thought it was too much green. After watching more highlights today however, and seeing the yellow stripe on the pants I think I really like those uniforms. Still a lot of green with the pants but I do like the jerseys.

Reaction score
I don't disagree. I just disagree on the giving himself up part. I don't think he was doing that. However, I understand the rule and it was applied correctly.
True that. I like to think of that Endzone chalk like a sideline. If he slides onto his knees 1ft from the sideline then slides clear across the chalk into the bench area? They’d keep the clock running because he surrendered “in bounds” at the beginning of the slide.

That clock should’ve continue running because he never made the line.

The nice thing about that play was Taylor actually had reached out towards the chalk at about 1.5 yards out, but as he closes in, he surrenders and his natural inclination was to pull the ball back in and tuck it to avoid fumbling. Had he kept his arms extended with controlling the ball? The very Mili- second he broke the plane was an instant TD. Krabs you were right about the gift.. but GB still had to stop it with multiple attempts from 1 FT. It wasn’t the final say on that play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm okay with that in the first half. But in the 2nd half against a great team, it's problematic. It's not a rare occurrence either. Just about every game he blows an early 2nd half timeout.

I don't agree Rodgers is blowing a timeout by taking one if he doesn't like the play call based on what the defense is doing.

The Chiefs and the Seahawks I'd argue are still better than nearly every team we have played thus far. Good teams play badly some times and some times even over a season it never clicks for whatever reason. Either way sorry I push back on this claim - especially on the Chiefs.

Both the Chiefs and Seahawks have played badly for most of this season though. At some point that might be because they aren't better than that.
It depends on the situation of the game. A lot of times he comes to the line of scrimmage with plenty of time to change the play but just tries to get them to jump before calling a time-out. Just like I don't think it is prudent to call a time out every time just to save 5 yards. Depends on the game situation.

I don't like Rodgers having to take a timeout because he wants to draw the defense offsides while not scanning them anymore as well. That doesn't apply for most of the timeouts he has to take though.

The referees on the field initially called Heinicke short of the goal line on the fourth down play. It was great to have instant replay on him giving himself up because it wasn't a subjective call to be made.

That's purely on Rodgers as communication with the coaching staff over the headset in his helmet automatically breaks off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's purely on Rodgers as communication with the coaching staff over the headset in his helmet automatically breaks off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.
A one point in the second half I saw AR12 twirling his hands above his head while looking at the sideline as if trying to get the play call earlier in the play clock. At the time there was about 20-25 seconds left and the team was huddled. I forgot what the ensuing play result was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A one point in the second half I saw AR12 twirling his hands above his head while looking at the sideline as if trying to get the play call earlier in the play clock. At the time there was about 20-25 seconds left and the team was huddled. I forgot what the ensuing play result was.
I believe players helmet speaker goes dead at the 15 second mark of the play clock. In MLF's first year, I noticed quite a few times that Rodgers didn't fully get the play before the cut off time hit. I think this being their 3rd season together, its gotten better.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Hunter Bradley. Your job is to snap the ball on fieldgoals AND block. If you do your FULL job Crosby doesn't get that fieldgoal blocked

D

Deleted member 6794

Dud: Hunter Bradley. Your job is to snap the ball on fieldgoals AND block. If you do your FULL job Crosby doesn't get that fieldgoal blocked

I agree that Bradley should have at least tried to block someone but Crosby deserves at least part of the blame for his kick being extremely low.