Official WFT studs n duds

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would argue more about the first call even though that is the rule. Him diving into the endzone didn't look like he was giving himself up. When he tried to advance the ball over the line the defense won the battle in the trenches. Odd because that might have been the first time they did in the redzone all year. The QB gathered the ball and was stopped. Once stopped he then reached the ball over the line. I think the WFT did get kind of cheated on that drive, but his momentum was definitely stopped.

I would agree the redzone defense got lucky yesterday. I like the 6-1 start as well. The Cards are tough for sure, but the next three games is not a gauntlet. The Chiefs and the Seahawks are just bad. Two of the worst defenses in the league. There will be points to be had in those games. Of the next six games I think there are three tough teams to play. The Cards, Rams and vikings. The Chiefs, Seahawks and Bears are just bad teams. I'm not saying they are lay down opponents, I just think the Packers are better.
It looked to me like Heineke was trying to sneak into the end zone without getting smoked in the process. Let his left knee hit the ground too quickly.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lowry has had like three straight good games now...
Yep, I like the way he's been playing. If he can continue these type of performances and Keke can play like he did in the 2nd half, we should hopefully start seeing more 3 and outs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs and the Seahawks are just bad.

The Chiefs and the Seahawks I'd argue are still better than nearly every team we have played thus far. Good teams play badly some times and some times even over a season it never clicks for whatever reason. Either way sorry I push back on this claim - especially on the Chiefs.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud

-Rasul Douglass-Where did this guy come from??? What a blessing. That PI was an abomination; absolutely perfect coverage. Swallow your whistle. It isn't about you!
-Sullivan-I feel better about him than King, ran the route for the receiver on the pick
-Gary-Becoming a force
-Stokes-Better every game
-Lazard-Hands
-Tonyan sighting/Keke sighting
-Rodgers mostly for not getting frustrated with his O-Line and dealing with the pressure. The line sucked.
-LaFleur's willingness to abandon the run instead of bashing our faces into a wall repeatedly
-Punter
-Campbell and Davante (obligatory)

Dud

-O-Line-Obviously a good front but there were too many plays that were over before they started. We need to get this group healthy and on the same page.

Dillon

-Jaylon Smith-Early returns not good

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked to me like Heineke was trying to sneak into the end zone without getting smoked in the process. Let his left knee hit the ground too quickly.
that's what I thought too, but then if you're going down because you don't want to get smoked, you should be down. The QB's get every benefit in this game, i'm fine with them being down as soon as a knee or elbow hit when they go down on their own.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In College that is an automatic down when the knee hits the ground for all players. I am curious on the NFL rule, is that just for the QB or does it apply to anyone that "surrenders" themselves by voluntarily going down like that? We all know in the NFL that if a player that has the ball falls down, untouched, he can get back up and run.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Chiefs and the Seahawks I'd argue are still better than nearly every team we have played thus far. Good teams play badly some times and some times even over a season it never clicks for whatever reason. Either way sorry I push back on this claim - especially on the Chiefs.
The Seahawks without Russ would be nice and a game I would 100% expect to win at home.

The Chiefs are a few tweaks away from being just fine especially offensively. Opposing defenses are playing a lot of the same cover 2 that teams have been playing against us. The only difference is, we have a better running game to run teams out of it at times, and we also have a coach/QB combo that is willing to adjust the offensive strategy off of that.

KC just hasn't shown the willingness or the ability (or both) to make that correction. They will be forced to now sitting at 3-4, unless their stubborn pride is too much to overcome.

Also - Mahomes is throwing interceptions and fumbling at an alarming rate, and Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over much.

I would imagine we'll get their absolute best shot as their desperation will be sky high.

Defensively though - they're a train wreck.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks without Russ would be nice and a game I would 100% expect to win at home.

The Chiefs are a few tweaks away from being just fine especially offensively. Opposing defenses are playing a lot of the same cover 2 that teams have been playing against us. The only difference is, we have a better running game to run teams out of it at times, and we also have a coach/QB combo that is willing to adjust the offensive strategy off of that.

KC just hasn't shown the willingness or the ability (or both) to make that correction. They will be forced to now sitting at 3-4, unless their stubborn pride is too much to overcome.

Also - Mahomes is throwing interceptions and fumbling at an alarming rate, and Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over much.

I would imagine we'll get their absolute best shot as their desperation will be sky high.

Defensively though - they're a train wreck.

For sure. I think Green Bay can come out of this stretch 2-1 and if we do I'm very happy outside looking in if that occurs.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue more about the first call even though that is the rule. Him diving into the endzone didn't look like he was giving himself up.
Yeah, but he looked to me like he was trying not to even have a chance of getting hit, which is almost the definition of giving yourself up. Bad play by him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer him to take the timeout instead of possibly risking a bad play.
It depends on the situation of the game. A lot of times he comes to the line of scrimmage with plenty of time to change the play but just tries to get them to jump before calling a time-out. Just like I don't think it is prudent to call a time out every time just to save 5 yards. Depends on the game situation.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Yeah, but he looked to me like he was trying not to even have a chance of getting hit, which is almost the definition of giving yourself up. Bad play by him.
I'm not arguing that he was short and sure, he was trying to protect himself on the hit. Even though there wasn't a hit. He should have just ran it in. I think he was still taking the dive into the endzone with the idea of getting hit and scoring. I'm not sure he was "giving himself up". I think he was preparing for the hit on the dive. Regardless, the rule is there and they followed it. I'm just not a big fan of it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In College that is an automatic down when the knee hits the ground for all players. I am curious on the NFL rule, is that just for the QB or does it apply to anyone that "surrenders" themselves by voluntarily going down like that? We all know in the NFL that if a player that has the ball falls down, untouched, he can get back up and run.
You pretty much answered your own question. OK, I'm not a rules expert, but pros and college are different here. When a player other than the QB (in pros) goes down on purpose, either he has to be touched or the ref has to blow the whistle. I think in both pros and college though, if the ball touches the ground; then the player is down.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Seahawks are giving up 30 points per game through 5 games. They play tonight. We will see what they give up to the Saints. The Chiefs are giving up 34 points per game through 6 games. Both defenses are bad and give up points. The Packers offense, while not as good as last season in the redzone, can move the ball and score. I feel like the Seahawks and Chiefs are just good in peoples heads because they have been good in the recent past. I agree that it might just be strength of schedule. I'm also not saying to take them lightly. I'm just saying that I don't think it is the gauntlet that everyone thought or probably still thinks. People look at the schedule as say "oh man, the Chiefs and the Seahawks. That's tough!" When in reality their defenses stink.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You pretty much answered your own question. OK, I'm not a rules expert, but pros and college are different here. When a player other than the QB (in pros) goes down on purpose, either he has to be touched or the ref has to blow the whistle. I think in both pros and college though, if the ball touches the ground; then the player is down.

I looked it up. Basically, in the NFL if a player gives himself up (surrenders) and makes no effort to get back up, the ball is down where he first contacted the ground. So it isn't just specific to a QB.

I saw nothing about the ball touching the ground part and I doubt that is the case in the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that he was short and sure, he was trying to protect himself on the hit. Even though there wasn't a hit. He should have just ran it in. I think he was still taking the dive into the endzone with the idea of getting hit and scoring. I'm not sure he was "giving himself up". I think he was preparing for the hit on the dive. Regardless, the rule is there and they followed it. I'm just not a big fan of it.

You nailed it with what I put in bold. That is called "surrendering yourself"....so that you don't get hit. I guarantee you if a Packer defender had come in hard and landed on him, it would have been a penalty for hitting after the play. A player isn't going to be rewarded extra yardage for how far he slides after he surrenders.

So yes, he was hoping to score on that dive, but he just timed it poorly, big mistake on his part, not the refs.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked it up. Basically, in the NFL if a player gives himself up (surrenders) and makes no effort to get back up, the ball is down where he first contacted the ground. So it isn't just specific to a QB.

I saw nothing about the ball touching the ground part and I doubt that is the case in the NFL.
I tried to look it up also. But I'm pretty sure e.g., if a runner w/o contact tries to balance himself with his hand, and the ball is in that hand; he will be called down. Just remember that from years ago.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked it up. Basically, in the NFL if a player gives himself up (surrenders) and makes no effort to get back up, the ball is down where he first contacted the ground.
Well yes. But if I'm playing D; I'm gonna touch the guy if the whistle hasn't been blown.

Reaction score
Him diving into the endzone didn't look like he was giving himself up.
Ok. You never finished your thought. So what did it look like to you?

I think if you're going to call the defense a stud you have to say it like this. Studs: The WFT for stopping themselves in the redzone.

You don’t get lucky 4 times in a row. Maybe 3, but definitely not 4. ;)

Lowry has had like three straight good games now...
Yes he has. For Lowry it’s a miracle!
Relax. I’m just being sarcastic

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tried to look it up also. But I'm pretty sure e.g., if a runner w/o contact tries to balance himself with his hand, and the ball is in that hand; he will be called down. Just remember that from years ago.
You could be right and I know that definitely is the rule in College, but would be surprised if it was in the NFL.

I had to share this. I found it while looking for the rule. I think the author was getting punchy after answering so many "Why" and "What if" responses.

Why are refs bald?​

Why are most referees bald? Most people who apply to become referees are over-intelligent. They become bald as a result of surgery to remove 80 per cent of their brain tissue and to have their eyesight and hearing impaired. After they recover from the operation, the hair never grows back properly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not sure about that rule, but wouldn't surprise me if you're correct. The ground can't cause a fumble, and if a guy lost his balance on his own or because of defender contact and put his ball hand down and it was knocked free, the play is dead when the ball hand touches the ground.

But in the case yesterday, he went down by his own accord, which means he's down where his knee touched down first. Mistake on his part and i'm fine with the rule. QB's get the benefit on every play out there. Every week I see a running QB look like he's going to cut then suddenly go down when someone already in the act of tackling is there and get a free 15 yards out of it.

Reaction score
You could be right and I know that definitely is the rule in College, but would be surprised if it was in the NFL.

I had to share this. I found it while looking for the rule. I think the author was getting punchy after answering so many "Why" and "What if" responses.

Why are refs bald?​

Why are most referees bald? Most people who apply to become referees are over-intelligent. They become bald as a result of surgery to remove 80 per cent of their brain tissue and to have their eyesight and hearing impaired. After they recover from the operation, the hair never grows back properly.
I heard from a source who knew a source that said they had run an ad for Refs and the primary requirement was possessing the eye of an Eagle…hence the Bald

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see a running QB look like he's going to cut then suddenly go down when someone already in the act of tackling is there and get a free 15 yards out of it.
Agree....I am so tired of seeing that penalty. I know the Refs mission is to protect the guy who is usually the highest paid player, but come on man! They might as well wrap the QB in bubble wrap, give him a pink skirt and put orange cones around him!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on the situation of the game. A lot of times he comes to the line of scrimmage with plenty of time to change the play but just tries to get them to jump before calling a time-out. Just like I don't think it is prudent to call a time out every time just to save 5 yards. Depends on the game situation.
it’s not just trying to get them to jump. That’s part of it, but he is also using the time to scan the defense and is trying to make them show their hand and commit. defenses are trying to disguise their rushes and coverages and he is trying to determine what they are doing. if he doesn‘t like the matchup… he sometimes runs out of time and can’t simply audible out in time. In short, sometimes the defense wins the pre snap gamesmanship, and Rodgers decides to regroup with a timeout.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it’s not just trying to get them to jump. That’s part of it, but he is also using the time to scan the defense and is trying to make them show their hand and commit. defenses are trying to disguise their rushes and coverages and he is trying to determine what they are doing. if he doesn‘t like the matchup… he sometimes runs out of time and can’t simply audible out in time. In short, sometimes the defense wins the pre snap gamesmanship, and Rodgers decides to regroup with a timeout.
I used to get PO'd at Rodgers for doing this but have grown to accept it. Like you implied, you win some, you lose some. If he can gain an edge by scanning the defense and once in awhile he needs to burn a TO, then so be it. However, it seems his "free plays" have all but dried up, so I don't like seeing him fail at getting the defense to jump and then burning a timeout because he was playing chicken a bit too long. In that situation, I usually prefer he just take the 5 yard loss and not burn a penalty.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Question here, is there a time limit on kicks going over the crossbar ? Their first kick at field goal looked in the highlights looked like it bounced on the bar twice and THEN dropped over after the judges signalled the fail.
Oh just incase, it decides wether I say wether the refs were studs or duds so I`m still on topic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts