Official week 7 game thread: at the Washington commodes

Reaction score
We can't get this game here in Florida on TV but got it listen on radio online.

That's all Larry McCarren could say is "WOW" and "Unbelievable" on his broadcasting of this game.

That's 3 1/2 hours of wasted time in my life I wouldn't get back.

Someone up there needs their @sskicked.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's all Larry McCarren could say is "WOW" and "Unbelievable" on his broadcasting of this game.

You said it all Mike. They either sell the farm (2nd and 3rd round picks next year, maybe a 4th as well) and trade for Chase Claypool this week, or give up the ghost. I don't like giving up the ghost. It's clear they need someone who can catch a pass for more than 5-10 yards, and someone they can afford.

(And yeah, I know Claypool is a head case. Well guess what, the Packers' entire 53-man roster are all head cases right now, as well as the coaches and fans. He'll fit right in. Pull the trigger Gluten!)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess for me personally, I’ve seen the Packers somewhat defeat themselves. Poor blocking, untimely penalties that had really no bearing on the play and erased big plays, dropped passes, uncharacteristic poor throws, questionable game plans, poor tackling and yes, oddly even what I’d call poor situational coaching.

Those are not a long term indictment on this team though. Much of that can be cleaned up as the weeks transpire. We are now entering a part of the season that you’d logically expect modest improvements in most of those areas.

I still have the Packers as playing poorly on O and above average on Defense. The Defense has some room to improve in the Run game and Takeaways, but only needs to make modest improvements and they’re good. The Offense is playing well under a mid season potential or expectation. However if they start gelling and putting up 23-27 points range per game, they will cause problems for most opponents.

What’s frustrating is we all know we can play better. It’s not so much we don’t have talent as we are not utilizing that talent successfully.
Some believe this is the worse roster in the league and worse ever for packers

Reaction score

I also listened to that radio broadcast. Larry kept on saying this is just the strangest set of events. It’s almost like we had a curse on us. We dropped a record number of passes was it 6??
Plus 9 costly penalties
We only had 47 O snaps??
We kept our D out there for 38 minutes!

Just sloppy ball, especially this Offense scoring just 14 points all day. That’s really bordering on abysmal

Last edited:

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some believe this is the worse roster in the league and worse ever for packers
I think people believe it‘s a bad roster because of the way they’ve been performing, with the offense being way worse than the defense. Poor execution, mistakes, penalties, turnovers (very uncharacteristic compared to the past couple of years). To me, what defines talent is the ability to execute, so when players don’t execute, it equates to lack of talent.

That doesn’t mean we have no talent (we do) and it doesn’t mean we can’t develop and maximize our talent, get better and win games. We all remember 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

What’s frustrating is we all know we can play better. It’s not so much we don’t have talent as we are not utilizing that talent successfully.

Unfortunately I believe the Packers don't have enough talent on offense to play significantly better.

I'm a little surprised at the OL struggles. For a long time, that has been the most consistent unit on the team, with excellent coaching.

As I have mentioned repeatedly Rodgers and Adams covered for a lot of shortcomings on the offensive line last season. With a lack of talent at wide receiver the quarterback isn't able to do that anymore.

I'd like to see Rodgers work the short game more, less hero ball today.

Rodgers threw short passes for the majority of the game vs. the Commanders. Didn't seem to work either.

the way I see it is the O line is much better at pass protection. Rodgers has time. And so he can throw those 8 - 15 yarders if they would try. Deguara and Tonyan should be going out together and each on one side of the middle of the field. And receivers not clogging that space up. Those flat passes just suck. The play calling sucks. And Rodgers not even looking to see if Jones is completely covered before he dumps it off is such a rookie mistake. And he does that a lot. Have some guts. Start throwing the ball. Those dump offs and fast throws to the flat are not going to take us down the field. Forget using all those receivers as blockers on those piece of **** passes. Frustrating, but a lot more potential than past games if LaFleur would not play chicken ball. And the long balls...why? I want to see 15 yarders.

The majority of fans were advocating for Rodgers to throw short passes for the offense to succeed. Now that didn't work against the Commanders it's back to a different opinion. Unfortunately I don't believe anything will work consistently based on a lack of talent on that side of the ball.

We kept our D out there for 38 minutes!

The defense allowing five first downs on third downs with at least six yards to go contributing to them being on the field that long.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not a MM or MLF supporter, but I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here.
Has to be the thumb. Till that's healed, Love plays. Let's really see what we have in Love and if MLF can coach without a franchise Qb at the wheel.
Pleeeease win or my tv stations will feature the queens.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people believe it‘s a bad roster because of the way they’ve been performing, with the offense being way worse than the defense. Poor execution, mistakes, penalties, turnovers (very uncharacteristic compared to the past couple of years). To me, what defines talent is the ability to execute, so when players don’t execute, it equates to lack of talent.

That doesn’t mean we have no talent (we do) and it doesn’t mean we can’t develop and maximize our talent, get better and win games. We all remember 2016.
I agree, the talent is just not performing. It seems like MLF has lost the team and Rodgers doesn't seem to care much. I don't wanna believe the season is lost this early, but looking at the schedule, that's the conclusion.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the talent is just not performing. It seems like MLF has lost the team and Rodgers doesn't seem to care much. I don't wanna believe the season is lost this early, but looking at the schedule, that's the conclusion.
I don’t think MLF has lost the team. He’s just a young HC who hasn’t faced much adversity up until now and may be a little in over his head with this group as it is. Hopefully it will serve to make him a better coach.

Competitors like Rodgers don’t have a switch they just flip when thing go off the rails. They are either competitors or not. If he didn’t care he could just sit out with his injury or retire. Why keep going out there and taking the physical abuse?

Like all of us, I’m sure they‘re just as hopeful they can find a way to turn the team around before it really is too late. I don’t see the NFC as being all that loaded. Aside from a few teams, is the gap between the remaining best teams and the worst teams really all that big? Like last year it could end up being totally up for grabs for any team that manages to make their way into the playoffs. Obviously every loss in these types of close winnable games is a killer for us in that regard but as long as we still have a chance, you really never know. It’s just a little too early at this point to completely throw in the towel.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a team trying but struggling to figure things out (with some pieces that might not be up to par) not a team that is quitting and without direction.
I don't see the quitting either. But tackling is bad and coaching is bad. Maybe the new O line can jell into being able to do some run blocking.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think MLF has lost the team. He’s just a young HC who hasn’t faced much adversity up until now and may be a little in over his head with this group as it is. Hopefully it will serve to make him a better coach.

Competitors like Rodgers don’t have a switch they just flip when thing go off the rails. They are either competitors or not. If he didn’t care he could just sit out with his injury or retire. Why keep going out there and taking the physical abuse?

Like all of us, I’m sure they‘re just as hopeful they can find a way to turn the team around before it really is too late. I don’t see the NFC as being all that loaded. Aside from a few teams, is the gap between the remaining best teams and the worst teams really all that big? Like last year it could end up being totally up for grabs for any team that manages to make their way into the playoffs. Obviously every loss in these types of close winnable games is a killer for us in that regard but as long as we still have a chance, you really never know. It’s just a little too early at this point to completely throw in the towel.
Well said, and thanks.

Reaction score
The defense is partly to blame for being on the field for that many plays as well.
What say you about 47 snaps on Offense? Should the Defense be held accountable for an Offense only scoring on 2 drives all Day?

You continually slight the Defense, yet of the leagues teams playing at least 7 contests, the only Offenses scoring less are Pittsburgh, Denver and Indianapolis and Just 1 other Offense in the entire NFL had less plays per drive.
That was the Jets playing against Denver (5th ranked Defense) 4.08 plays per drive. But even they outscored GB!! This Offense is so bad.. they can make a relatively good Defense look bad!

-The lowly Washington team Offense
(6.55 plays per possession)
-The Packers Offense
(4.7 plays per drive)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mean our defense had two scores if the one hadn't been called back....they essentially had the same amount of scoring drives as the offense...
I forgot about that! That’s pretty bad when your Defense gets in the Endzone as much as your Offense!

I only listened to the game. In your opinion was that Stokes penalty legit? Boy he was so mad Matt had to call a timeout. Lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about that! That’s pretty bad when your Defense gets in the Endzone as much as your Offense!

I only listened to the game. In your opinion was that Stokes penalty legit? Boy he was so mad Matt had to call a timeout. Lol

By the definition of the rule yes. Now of course everyone could say we've seen worse not get called...true, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been. Sucked

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the definition of the rule yes. Now of course everyone could say we've seen worse not get called...true, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been. Sucked
The Fox announcers said that illegal contact was only flagged 36 times for all of last season, where in prior years it was closer to 90. So apparently the officials were put on notice to look for it and flag it.

Did Stokes commit a penalty? I saw it and technically, yes, he did. Could it have gone either way? Yes. Did the penalty affect the outcome of the play? Probably not. But the Packers only have themselves to blame. It seems like a lot of very good plays by the D this year have been nullified by penalties away from the ball. It's mid-season and these penalties should not be happening at this rate. Stokes stupid unecessary roughness penalty was another example. Calm the **** down and play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Fox announcers said that illegal contact was only flagged 36 times for all of last season, where in prior years it was closer to 90. So apparently the officials were put on notice to look for it and flag it.

Did Stokes commit a penalty? I saw it and technically, yes, he did. Could it have gone either way? Yes. Did the penalty affect the outcome of the play? Probably not. But the Packers only have themselves to blame. It seems like a lot of very good plays by the D this year have been nullified by penalties away from the ball. It's mid-season and these penalties should not be happening at this rate. Stokes stupid unecessary roughness penalty was another example. Calm the **** down and play.

Clark has got his fair share as well which just seems odd.

Reaction score
The Fox announcers said that illegal contact was only flagged 36 times for all of last season, where in prior years it was closer to 90.

It seems like a lot of very good plays by the D this year have been nullified by penalties away from the ball. It's mid-season and these penalties should not be happening at this rate. Stokes stupid unecessary roughness penalty was another example. Calm the **** down and play.
I’ve noticed that. We’ve had several penalized erase big plays. As you know our big plays have already been disproportionately low to begin with. Thus when you have one that erases points (Such as Amari’s PR to our opponent 30 yard line several weeks ago) it really hurts

Members online

Latest posts