Official week 7 game thread: at the Washington commodes

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I take a few days off and this place stagnates? Exactly one year ago today we started the week 7 thread against the same team. Who da thunk?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better be ready to play this week. Heineke is dangerous, very mobile. And that defensive front can get after you. Going to be interesting to see what offensive line combo we trot out this week. I'll go Packers 20 to 17, but I'm going to be sure to have plenty of beer, Jack daniels, and ice cream on hand.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That means no more time off... stagnating is not condoned.

If there ever was a perfect time for a "get right" game this is it. Another sloppy, poor-execution (by players & coaches) and this team is in serious trouble heading to Buffalo week 8. D front 7 need to be disciplined and fiesty to stop runs for short gains and put pressure on Heinecke all day. Offense needs to keep the Commodes off-balance with play calling, move the chains, and minimize drive-killing penalties. Hope MLF/AR keep Tonyan involved on short/medium patterns allowing WR's to be productive on the edges/medium-deep routes.

Really want to see an OL of: Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman keeping AR upright & non-panicked. Too much to ask for a +2 turnover margin this game?
Packers 24 - Washington 10

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there ever was a perfect time for a "get right" game this is it. Another sloppy, poor-execution (by players & coaches) and this team is in serious trouble heading to Buffalo week 8. D front 7 need to be disciplined and fiesty to stop runs for short gains and put pressure on Heinecke all day. Offense needs to keep the Commodes off-balance with play calling, move the chains, and minimize drive-killing penalties. Hope MLF/AR keep Tonyan involved on short/medium patterns allowing WR's to be productive on the edges/medium-deep routes.
I'm very hesitant but I'll take the Packers in this one. I just have a feeling they will all be nail biters because that's just this team. To be honest, I thought the Packers would roll the Patriots. Then roll the injured and depleted Giants. When they didn't, and the Packers struggled with a 3rd string QB in the Pats, I figured the Jets game would be a "get right" game. Hoping I'm wrong but none of these games remaining are gimmes with the way this current team is playing.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take The Pack 33-10 if they will move Jenkins back to L guard and put Nijman at R tackle and give him some help. And also if the R guard does not do will; change him during the game. 3 different players if necessary. Otherwise I think the game will be low scoring and close.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really want to see an OL of: Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman keeping AR upright & non-panicked.

This grouping worries me slightly. We're potentially in a situation where all of our best players are better on the left side of the line.

Runyan got abused against the Jets, but if Jenkins is settling in on the right side, I'd rather he just slide to RG and keep Runyan where he is.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This grouping worries me slightly. We're potentially in a situation where all of our best players are better on the left side of the line.

Runyan got abused against the Jets, but if Jenkins is settling in on the right side, I'd rather he just slide to RG and keep Runyan where he is.
Don't disagree with our best OL's on the left side... but how would that be different than 2020? At least AR would know his blindside is protected and that IF there's pressure it's most likely coming from the right. Also, might be more/better run-opportunities to the left rather than the entire middle being a liability? Runyan/Nijman on the left side later '21 and preseason did pretty well & they're somewhat dialed-in to communicating with each other (I would hope)?

My man-crush Bryan Bulaga agrees ;) ... "“If it’s me, I’m looking to move Elgton right back next to Dave (Bakhtiari), where he’s had his most success at left guard,” Bulaga said. “Then probably move (Jon) Runyan out to right guard, then who you put at right tackle, whether it’s Yosh (Nijman) or rookie Zach Tom.” " - https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...hould-move-elgton-jenkins-back-to-left-guard/

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't disagree with our best OL's on the left side...

My point was more that all of our best players are better (best?) suited to be left side players. Bhak is clearly LT only, Runyan didn't do well as RG, Yosh has only been a LT for us, etc etc. More a quirk of how the roster shook out more than anything.

My man-crush Bryan Bulaga agrees ;) ... "“If it’s me, I’m looking to move Elgton right back next to Dave (Bakhtiari), where he’s had his most success at left guard,” Bulaga said. “Then probably move (Jon) Runyan out to right guard, then who you put at right tackle, whether it’s Yosh (Nijman) or rookie Zach Tom.” " - https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...hould-move-elgton-jenkins-back-to-left-guard/

My line of reasoning, and it presumes that Jenkins' issue is being at tackle rather than being on the right side, is that Jenkins would be at worst a B+ RG. I'm also calling Runyan a "B" LG. If Jenkins is an A+ LG, but Runyan is a C- RG, we've gotten worse. Or at best, done a lot of shuffling and ended up exactly where we are today.

Reaction score
Just an observation. But we now are getting a better picture (sample size) of a real-time “strength of opponents”. The teams we have played boast a 22-14 Win-Loss combined Win record. You could say we’ve played 6 teams that are Win:Loss ratios of 3-2 each. The point being here is that these have not been slouch teams.
The WTF team shouldn’t be overlooked, however they are not some scary opponent either.

Their most recent contest was at Win at Chicago 12-7. It’s very unlikely they score more than 17-20 points on our Defense, which has us in this one into the 4th quarter at minimum.

WTF scored a season high 27 points on the worst Defense in the league and 22 points on a respectable Jags Defense at Home.

I think a realistically a Washington top end score would be 23 points scored and a bottom in the 7 points area. 16 points is probably a good over/under at their house. The only 2 areas Washington really excels at is Sacks and 3rd Down%. They are basically tied with us in Rushing yards allowed 811 vs 791. However Offensively we’ve had better Run success than they have.

I would Run early and often. I’d also have a few play designs to exploit an WTF over-aggressive pass rush early in. Short dump off passes or narrow slants etc.. I’d like to see a few more QB rollouts as the game wears on, maybe an early long throw to loosen them.

Packers 21 Washington 13

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF has a pretty strong DL, until our OL proves they're really NFL players across all 5 positions, i'm not making any predictions.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an observation. But we now are getting a better picture (sample size) of a real-time “strength of opponents”. The teams we have played boast a 22-14 Win-Loss combined Win record. You could say we’ve played 6 teams that are Win:Loss ratios of 3-2 each. The point being here is that these have not been slouch teams.
The WTF team shouldn’t be overlooked, however they are not some scary opponent either.

Their most recent contest was at Win at Chicago 12-7. It’s very unlikely they score more than 17-20 points on our Defense, which has us in this one into the 4th quarter at minimum.

WTF scored a season high 27 points on the worst Defense in the league and 22 points on a respectable Jags Defense at Home.

I think a realistically a Washington top end score would be 23 points scored and a bottom in the 7 points area. 16 points is probably a good over/under at their house. The only 2 areas Washington really excels at is Sacks and 3rd Down%. They are basically tied with us in Rushing yards allowed 811 vs 791. However Offensively we’ve had better Run success than they have.

I would Run early and often. I’d also have a few play designs to exploit an WTF over-aggressive pass rush early in. Short dump off passes or narrow slants etc.. I’d like to see a few more QB rollouts as the game wears on, maybe an early long throw to loosen them.

Packers 21 Washington 13
The Washington win in Chicago was a perfectly wrapped Xmas present. Only the Bears could find a way to lose that one. As of late we are emulating them. Right now we just have to find a way to win and stop telling ourselves we are among the elites of the NFL.

Reaction score
The Washington win in Chicago was a perfectly wrapped Xmas present. Only the Bears could find a way to lose that one. As of late we are emulating them. Right now we just have to find a way to win and stop telling ourselves we are among the elites of the NFL.
True. But I don’t think we have been telling ourselves that past about game 3.
We’re not the worst team out there either. Much of what I’m seeing is us being sloppy and you’d be be surprised what cleaning some of that up can do towards being competitive.

This game has much to do about momentum. That momentum philosophy goes both intra and inter game play. Just winning a game and getting some confidence goes a long ways. Even if it’s the Redskins.

Obviously I’d like to see a good shellacking, but even a 1 score Win on the road is significant.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game will be the chance for the offense to come out and show that the abysmal performance so far this year is because they’ve actually played REALLY good defenses…not saying that’s the case but a big performance by the offense might sway me in that direction.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers 21 Washington 13
My book has WTF over/under at 17.5

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Packers 21 Washington 13
Giants and jets could be 11 or 12 win team

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually it seems most of the backups are better suited to line up on the left side as well.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Giants and jets could be 11 or 12 win team
...and I agree with this "kind of" statement .. it wasn't really a statement because it was qualified with "could be" - but the intent was there so, we're gonna hold you to it, man. ;) I'll go one step further and qualify it to a lesser degree by saying that they will be 11 or 12 win teams provided their QB's don't go down. Perhaps I qualified it even more, but I'm on drugs right now anyway, so there's my excuse. What kinda person takes a 10-word post and turns it into a two paragraph response ... sheesh, now I have to start a second paragraph too.

OK, I'm not pleased with losing to either team and I'm not going to qualify either loss. I'm going to say that the Pack lost to two better prepared teams (yes, coaching staff I'm pointing at you) who, in my opinion, wanted to win MORE. The same damned thing could happen this weekend - very easily - because the Packers have proven their inability to adjust ... period ... that opening game plan, offensively and defensively is carved into granite by lightning bolts and there will be no variation. Special Teams apparently doesn't game plan so no lightning bolt for them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to Ninkovich on get up this morning. He says that the Packers lose this game their season is over, and they will fall apart.
I agree.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Already declared "Out" for the Washington game: Watson, Cobb & Jake Hanson. Sammy Watkins is still Questionable.

Winfree can't be called up from PS anymore so someone needs to go on IR to make a spot on the 53 for Winfree.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree isn't the answer, I'd be looking for someone else. yeah he seems to have some pep and fire, but he's already shown to me, he just doesn't have it. He's one of those guys where everything seems like he's "so close" yet it accounts for nothing. I'd rather they active Patrick Taylor and run 3 RB's than see any sort of special move made to get him back on the field. It's not worth it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree isn't the answer, I'd be looking for someone else. yeah he seems to have some pep and fire, but he's already shown to me, he just doesn't have it. He's one of those guys where everything seems like he's "so close" yet it accounts for nothing. I'd rather they active Patrick Taylor and run 3 RB's than see any sort of special move made to get him back on the field. It's not worth it.
I think it would be better to cut Winfree. He's had his chances over the years and is still not getting it done. It will be interesting to see if Gluten trade for a WR before the deadline in 10 days. Although I'm not sure how they would pay anyone more than a few million $$$/year.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. But I don’t think we have been telling ourselves that past about game 3.
We’re not the worst team out there either. Much of what I’m seeing is us being sloppy and you’d be be surprised what cleaning some of that up can do towards being competitive.

This game has much to do about momentum. That momentum philosophy goes both intra and inter game play. Just winning a game and getting some confidence goes a long ways. Even if it’s the Redskins.

Obviously I’d like to see a good shellacking, but even a 1 score Win on the road is significant.
Good post and I think, for myself, I have to temper expectations and rethink my perceptions of each team in this league. Each year is a new year, so each team, each year, has a chance to be different from the previous. For me, you see the Jets, Giants, Commanders etc., and you judge them of prior years so my expectations were to believe the Pack would roll them. The reality, as you have pointed out, is that there are a lot of middling teams right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as the season is young and teams will improve and some will possibly slide.

Right now, looking at the Jets and Giants records, they very may well turn out to be playoff teams. Then again, we're only 6 games in and a lot can still happen. For me, the rest of the games are toss ups with his current iteration of the Packers. It is the NFL and it seems, right now, a lot of the teams are evenly matched. I'm buckling up for some close games that could go either way. My hopes are that this team continues to work on their deficiencies and they can somehow win through the growing pains and position themselves for a post season run. At 3-3, anything is possible at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post and I think, for myself, I have to temper expectations and rethink my perceptions of each team in this league. Each year is a new year, so each team, each year, has a chance to be different from the previous. For me, you see the Jets, Giants, Commanders etc., and you judge them of prior years so my expectations were to believe the Pack would roll them. The reality, as you have pointed out, is that there are a lot of middling teams right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as the season is young and teams will improve and some will possibly slide.

Right now, looking at the Jets and Giants records, they very may well turn out to be playoff teams. Then again, we're only 6 games in and a lot can still happen. For me, the rest of the games are toss ups with his current iteration of the Packers. It is the NFL and it seems, right now, a lot of the teams are evenly matched. I'm buckling up for some close games that could go either way. My hopes are that this team continues to work on their deficiencies and they can somehow win through the growing pains and position themselves for a post season run. At 3-3, anything is possible at this point.
Well said Budman. In a recent power ranking, both the Giants and Jets were in the top 10. Who saw that coming? not me.

There is still hope for the Packers. The sooner they turn things around the better. It looks like the Commanders are still legitimately bad, so ideally I hope to see a multiple possession win. But really, I'll take a W on the road......

Members online

Latest posts