Official week 7 game thread: at the Washington commodes

Reaction score
Good post and I think, for myself, I have to temper expectations and rethink my perceptions of each team in this league. Each year is a new year, so each team, each year, has a chance to be different from the previous. For me, you see the Jets, Giants, Commanders etc., and you judge them of prior years so my expectations were to believe the Pack would roll them. The reality, as you have pointed out, is that there are a lot of middling teams right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as the season is young and teams will improve and some will possibly slide.

Right now, looking at the Jets and Giants records, they very may well turn out to be playoff teams. Then again, we're only 6 games in and a lot can still happen. For me, the rest of the games are toss ups with his current iteration of the Packers. It is the NFL and it seems, right now, a lot of the teams are evenly matched. I'm buckling up for some close games that could go either way. My hopes are that this team continues to work on their deficiencies and they can somehow win through the growing pains and position themselves for a post season run. At 3-3, anything is possible at this point.
I guess for me personally, I’ve seen the Packers somewhat defeat themselves. Poor blocking, untimely penalties that had really no bearing on the play and erased big plays, dropped passes, uncharacteristic poor throws, questionable game plans, poor tackling and yes, oddly even what I’d call poor situational coaching.

Those are not a long term indictment on this team though. Much of that can be cleaned up as the weeks transpire. We are now entering a part of the season that you’d logically expect modest improvements in most of those areas.

I still have the Packers as playing poorly on O and above average on Defense. The Defense has some room to improve in the Run game and Takeaways, but only needs to make modest improvements and they’re good. The Offense is playing well under a mid season potential or expectation. However if they start gelling and putting up 23-27 points range per game, they will cause problems for most opponents.

What’s frustrating is we all know we can play better. It’s not so much we don’t have talent as we are not utilizing that talent successfully.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess for me personally, I’ve seen the Packers somewhat defeat themselves. Poor blocking, untimely penalties that had really no bearing on the play and erased big plays, dropped passes, uncharacteristic poor throws, questionable game plans, poor tackling and yes, oddly even what I’d call poor situational coaching.

Those are not a long term indictment on this team though. Much of that can be cleaned up as the weeks transpire. We are now entering a part of the season that you’d logically expect modest improvements in most of those areas.

I still have the Packers as playing poorly on O and above average on Defense. The Defense has some room to improve in the Run game and Takeaways, but only needs to make modest improvements and they’re good. The Offense is playing well under a mid season potential or expectation. However if they start gelling and putting up 23-27 points range per game, they will cause problems for most opponents.

What’s frustrating is we all know we can play better. It’s not so much we don’t have talent as we are not utilizing that talent successfully.
That's a good summary. I think it's all going to improve with the exception of situational coaching. I have never seen MLF make adjustments at half time, much less in game. I don't get it. Even Joe Barry changed to man coverage after dismal failures with zone.

Is it just me, or do other people see what I think are missed opportunities by MLF? Different sport, but Budenholzer is a master at managing during a game.

If MLF can't start doing this, I'm afraid this is gonna be an 8-9 team, 10-7 at best (which still might be good enough for a seventh seed).

Everything else you note is spot on OldSchool. I would just like to see more from MLF.

Any thoughts on a potential trade for a WR before the deadline? I think they could swing a deal, I just don't think they could afford it from a cap standpoint.

Reaction score
Claypool. The beauty of Chase Claypool is that he’s not a Cap problem as he’s 1 1/2 years left on a cheap Rookie deal.
I also believe he’s potentially a ~1,000 yard 8-10TD (both teams) yard WR if he gains #12 trust. He’s exactly what we need.
Any thoughts on a potential trade for a WR before the deadline? I think they could swing a deal, I just don't think they could afford it from a cap standpoint.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Claypool. The beauty of Chase Claypool is that he’s not a Cap problem as he’s 1 1/2 years left on a cheap Rookie deal.
I also believe he’s potentially a ~1,000 yard 8-10TD (both teams) yard WR if he gains #12 trust. He’s exactly what we need.
Interesting. He's with the Steelers, right? They'd have to give up draft picks to get him though, or anyone for that matter. The Steelers aren't exactly in rebuild but they're not very good either. so possibly a good trade partner.

Reaction score
Interesting. He's with the Steelers, right? They'd have to give up draft picks to get him though, or anyone for that matter. The Steelers aren't exactly in rebuild but they're not very good either. so possibly a good trade partner.
Yes. Also Carolina’s DJ Moore is also on his Rookie deal. However my gut tells me he’d be too expensive draft pick wise. The Rams are also looking hard as well as others.
It gets pretty costly

I’d go get Claypool for a Day 2 deal if that’s even possible? I’d feel very good about having Claypool, Watkins Lazard and Doubs with Cobb coming back in 4-5 weeks.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Also Carolina’s DJ Moore is also on his Rookie deal. However my gut tells me he’d be too expensive draft pick wise. The Rams are also looking hard as well as others.
It gets pretty costly

I’d go get Claypool for a Day 2 deal if that’s even possible.
I think the Bills offered only a 2nd round pick for McCaffrey. The Panthers got a very good deal from SF. A lot of picks for an incredible but often-injured RB. Those deals almost never work out.

Reaction score
I think the Bills offered only a 2nd round pick for McCaffrey. The Panthers got a very good deal from SF. A lot of picks for an incredible but often-injured RB. Those deals almost never work out.
I agree. Everyone talked about what a great deal Khalil Mack was when going to Chicago. It totally draft strapped them for years and how did that pan out?
Claypool would be a tad better with Aaron tossing him the ball. He’s a legit WR2 floor and low WR1 ceiling if he meshes. If him and Sammy are out there together it begins to present problems because you’d have a CB3 on Lazard or Doubs and they’d feast imo.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not saying no to Claypool… but his maturity level last year was abysmal…. I don’t know if he”s learned to reign it in or not, but I would be worried about him long term. That being said, he is extremely talented.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not saying no to Claypool… but his maturity level last year was abysmal…. I don’t know if he”s learned to reign it in or not, but I would be worried about him long term. That being said, he is extremely talented.
Please expound. The only thing I remember about Claypool was after a catch he spotted the ball instead of letting the official spot it and time ran out before they could spike the ball. Something that he is definitely not the Lone Ranger in doing. Please enlighten me on his abysmal maturity level. Obviously I missed something.
Thanks in advance.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Also Carolina’s DJ Moore is also on his Rookie deal. However my gut tells me he’d be too expensive draft pick wise.
DJ Moore signed a 3 yr/$61.8mil extension which begins in 2023 & has $41mil guaranteed. Cap hits of $25mil in '23, & $21mil each of '24 & '25. No thanks!!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please expound. The only thing I remember about Claypool was after a catch he spotted the ball instead of letting the official spot it and time ran out before they could spike the ball. Something that he is definitely not the Lone Ranger in doing. Please enlighten me on his abysmal maturity level. Obviously I missed something.
Thanks in advance.
Lol your description of that particular event is very favorable to him… he didn’t just “ spot the ball” … but you have already made up your mind. he also got into several alterations with other players resulting in 15 yard penalties… and generally showed that he was quite a hot head. As I said, i’m not saying no to him… but the Packer should be cautious.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I don’t think we have been telling ourselves that past about game 3.
We’re not the worst team out there either. Much of what I’m seeing is us being sloppy and you’d be be surprised what cleaning some of that up can do towards being competitive.
Calling us sloppy is quite an optimistic take. We are bad with few individual exceptions. Not the worst, definitely.

Hopefully MLF gets his train back in track.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One article says Bahktiari may not play and so they may not move Jenkins to the inside. I think that would just be an excuse since he does not play well at R tackle. I'm hoping they move him inside, give help where needed and play musical chairs with the others if it isn't working. The O line has been so bad. Maybe with Jenkins in the middle we can mix up the run a bit and maybe they won't be coming at ARod right up the middle as much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DJ Moore signed a 3 yr/$61.8mil extension which begins in 2023 & has $41mil guaranteed. Cap hits of $25mil in '23, & $21mil each of '24 & '25. No thanks!!
Yeah that's the problem GB faces. If they swing a deal with a team in rebuild, they're likely to not be able afford paying the player. And trading for someone else's affordable rookie-contract WR doesn't make much sense. Why would a team want to trade someone like that?

It's simple really. Someone in the FO completely misread Adams' intentions, and for too many years, WR and even TE we're ignored or chosen in rounds four or later. (And keeping Adams at $30 mil/year means no Campbell or Douglas, so the D would suffer.)

Or to put it another way, Gluten is desperate and you can't bargain from a place of desperation. Buckle up and hope that Watkins gets back soon, that Doubs makes a huge leap, and that Cobb returns (although if they don't start winning, Cobb will return to a losing team). I was hoping Lazard would elevate his game. Haven't seen that yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One article says Bahktiari may not play and so they may not move Jenkins to the inside. I think that would just be an excuse since he does not play well at R tackle. I'm hoping they move him inside, give help where needed and play musical chairs with the others if it isn't working. The O line has been so bad. Maybe with Jenkins in the middle we can mix up the run a bit and maybe they won't be coming at ARod right up the middle as much.
Good point. Jenkins can play all OL positions except C, but he's much better at G. Now Bakhtiari is possible out (WTF!), so I don't know who would play LT (Nijman?) and then who would play RT, assuming Jenkins goes inside. You're right, the OL is messed up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol your description of that particular event is very favorable to him… he didn’t just “ spot the ball” … but you have already made up your mind. he also got into several alterations with other players resulting in 15 yard penalties… and generally showed that he was quite a hot head. As I said, i’m not saying no to him… but the Packer should be cautious.
I don't know anything about Claypool. But problem players rarely change their ways. That's why they get traded. Although considering how weak the WRs are, I'd take the chance if the guy can produce.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming out of college many experts said center would be his best position.
Really!?! I stand corrected! Thanks gopkrs.

I'm a little surprised at the OL struggles. For a long time, that has been the most consistent unit on the team, with excellent coaching. Well. everything is upside down this year. The Giants and Jets are in the top 10 of any power rankings.

The Packers might look to spending an early draft pick on the OL. The great players come out of college ready for the NFL, or at least it seems that way. Yeah, I know, Tony Mandarich. There are always exceptions!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those interested in obtaining Claypool, you'll probably want to look up the Steelers asking price. It's ridiculous. "Multiple day 2 picks".

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those interested in obtaining Claypool, you'll probably want to look up the Steelers asking price. It's ridiculous. "Multiple day 2 picks".
Yeah, I thought as much. That's not worth it. The team getting draft picks almost always comes out on top. As early as next season, the Packers are gonna need as much draft capital as possible. I just don't see a WR trade happening.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems Bahk is out today. WTF?
I hear ya. I think his career is done after this season. Not sure if it was the original ACL tear, or if the surgeons ****** up, or if it was any of the three surgeries he had on that knee. We'll likely never know unless he talks about it after he's finished playing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's going to be a shake up on the offensive line today what configuration will depend on if Bakh can go. Yeah, it's his knee again. Watkins is active and will play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's going to be a shake up on the offensive line today what configuration will depend on if Bakh can go. Yeah, it's his knee again. Watkins is active and will play.
If Bakh doesn't play, my guess is they use Nijman at LT. That's unfortunate, because I was hoping Nijman would play RT with Jenkins moving inside. If Nijman has to play LT, and Jenkins still moves inside, who plays RT?