Official Studs n Duds Cinncy

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Freeman became elite, but '96 was his second year in the league, he wasn't elite at that point. Rison was elite but he was also a mid year acquisition and only played five regular season games before the playoffs, so he wasn't even on the team most of the year.
They got Rison because Brooks went down. Brooks was the best WR on the team that season until then.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They got Rison because Brooks went down. Brooks was the best WR on the team that season until then.

Robert Brooks was an absolute elite WR but he went down after 7 games and for the life of me I can't remember why he was having such a poor year before the injury; only 344 yards in 7 games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wonder if we would have won that second Super Bowl if we had kept Rison another year.
I think we would have. Rison was a character but no question how talented he was. He made incredible catches. Great, great hands. And fast. I was very disappointed he wasn't on the team.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have. Rison was a character but no question how talented he was. He made incredible catches. Great, great hands. And fast. I was very disappointed he wasn't on the team.
He was a character but I thought he gave us a bit of an edge. Just enough of an edge. And aside from his skills, I think he provided some leadership. And you have to think his performance would have improved as he became more used to GB's system.

D

Deleted member 6794

Freeman and Rison were both elite...Beebe...Keith Jackson/Chmura...come on.

The Packers didn't have a pass catcher among the top 40 in receptions in 1996.

In addition, while a lot of Packers fans remember Rison catching that long touchdown in the Super Bowl it seems many forget that he only had a total of 20 receptions for 278 yards in eight games for the team. Hardly elite by any means.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
imo, Rison would have made zero difference in the outcome of the Super Bowl loss to Denver.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imo, Rison would have made zero difference in the outcome of the Super Bowl loss to Denver.
I don't know, that was a pretty close game, could have gone either way. Terrell Davis was the main factor there, but I can't say that another great offensive weapon might not have tipped the scale.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me summarize your take. You agree that Adams is the best wide receiver in the league yet Rodgers should go out of his way to target other pass catchers who wouldn't start for most other teams more often just for the sake of spreading the ball around more??? Doesn't make any sense.

No, I never said he should "go out of his way" to target others. But when other receivers are open he should not be trying to force the ball to Adams when he NOT open or when he's only open for 2 yards when 10 yards are needed. The problem is that he doesn't even look anywhere else most of the time. And enough with your conjecture that nobody else would start on another team. Most of them haven't even played for another team, so you have absolutely no possible way of knowing that. But then again, you know everything, right?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't have a pass catcher among the top 40 in receptions in 1996.

In addition, while a lot of Packers fans remember Rison catching that long touchdown in the Super Bowl it seems many forget that he only had a total of 20 receptions for 278 yards in eight games for the team. Hardly elite by any means.
in what..5 games? lol

D

Deleted member 6794

No, I never said he should "go out of his way" to target others. But when other receivers are open he should not be trying to force the ball to Adams when he NOT open or when he's only open for 2 yards when 10 yards are needed. The problem is that he doesn't even look anywhere else most of the time. And enough with your conjecture that nobody else would start on another team. Most of them haven't even played for another team, so you have absolutely no possible way of knowing that.

I agree that Rodgers shouldn't force the ball to Adams if he's covered while other receivers are open but most of the time Adams is the creating separation from defenders. Just take a look at the example of the play during the Bengals game you were up in arms about when in fact #17 was the only receiver open.

Cobb has played for other teams and the 1-7 Texans were ready to move on from him. Lazard didn't even make the Jags roster while being on their practice squad. There was no other team interested in signing EQ, Taylor or Winfree when they were on the Packers' practice squad. MVS is the only other regular WR on the roster who hasn't been with another team and I'm convinced he wouldn't start for most other teams in the league.

Yet you act is if other teams would line up to have any other receiver not named Adams on their roster.

in what..5 games? lol

As mentioned in my previous post Rison put up those numbers in eight games, including the Super Bowl.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That depends if you are counting 2 or 3 WRs as starters. If you count 3 like most teams use I see MVS starting for more than half of the league.
CLV-N.E.-MIA-Jets-HOU-JAX-TN-KC-SEA-LV-LAC-CHI-DET-PHIL-WSH-N.O.-ATL-SF

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers shouldn't force the ball to Adams if he's covered while other receivers are open but most of the time Adams is the creating separation from defenders. Just take a look at the example of the play during the Bengals game you were up in arms about when in fact #17 was the only receiver open.
Lazard was coming open because the second defender was already starting to move toward Adams while Rodgers still had the ball at his chest. He should have seen that and with a proper lead there is a high probability that it would have been complete for a first down. A good QB recognizes when a receiver is about to be open and makes his throw on time.

And that's just one play. This happens way too often.

I get it though. You think every receiver not named Adams is a complete POS because Rodgers wants to throw to one guy. You're simply wrong on this. Nothing more to be said about it. Yet you have a Jones for a 34-year old washed-up WR who Rodgers would way down the depth chart anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That depends if you are counting 2 or 3 WRs as starters. If you count 3 like most teams use I see MVS starting for more than half of the league.
CLV-N.E.-MIA-Jets-HOU-JAX-TN-KC-SEA-LV-LAC-CHI-DET-PHIL-WSH-N.O.-ATL-SF

I disagree that MVS would be a top 3 receiver for all the teams you mentioned.

Lazard was coming open because the second defender was already starting to move toward Adams while Rodgers still had the ball at his chest. He should have seen that and with a proper lead there is a high probability that it would have been complete for a first down. A good QB recognizes when a receiver is about to be open and makes his throw on time.

And that's just one play. This happens way too often.

I get it though. You think every receiver not named Adams is a complete POS because Rodgers wants to throw to one guy. You're simply wrong on this. Nothing more to be said about it. Yet you have a Jones for a 34-year old washed-up WR who Rodgers would way down the depth chart anyway.

I'm not going to discuss with you about that play again. There's no doubt Rodgers sometimes misses an open receiver but that happens to every QB in the league. Overall, he's significantly better than most other passers though.

Once again, I'm not in favor of the Packers bringing in Jackson, have never posted anything like it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that MVS would be a top 3 receiver for all the teams you mentioned.
Could you expound upon why you disagree? What specifically do you find about all of those teams' #3 WRs that makes them better than MVS? Can you even name the #3 WR on all of those teams without looking it up?

Let's just look at a few of them. How about Marquise Goodwin, Chester Rodgers and Mack Hollins? Why, specifically, are those guys so much better than MVS?

D

Deleted member 6794

Could you expound upon why you disagree? What specifically do you find about all of those teams' #3 WRs that makes them better than MVS? Can you even name the #3 WR on all of those teams without looking it up?

Let's just look at a few of them. How about Marquise Goodwin, Chester Rodgers and Mack Hollins? Why, specifically, are those guys so much better than MVS?

After taking a closer look at the #3 wide receivers for a lot of teams I have to admit that MVS would most likely be an upgrade for a lot of teams out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts