Official Studs and Duds Vikings

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game and still haven't watched the recorded game, but the only "bad" call that I saw was the one on Savage early in the game that was called pass interference. He hit the WR early but because he was actively playing the ball. I do not believe that is interference as the rules are written.

Everything else, including the Keke penalty and the Savage reversal, were consistent with the rules. Some of us don't like the rules but that is irrelevant. Vikings fans didn't like the roughing the passer call on the TD, but he did land with all of his body weight on the QB.

Did the Packers get more penalties than the Vikings? Absolutely, but the refs' job is not to balance the penalties. They called what they saw and IMO got most of them right.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game and still haven't watched the recorded game, but the only "bad" call that I saw was the one on Savage early in the game that was called pass interference. He hit the WR early but because he was actively playing the ball. I do not believe that is interference as the rules are written.

Everything else, including the Keke penalty and the Savage reversal, were consistent with the rules. Some of us don't like the rules but that is irrelevant. Vikings fans didn't like the roughing the passer call on the TD, but he did land with all of his body weight on the QB.

Did the Packers get more penalties than the Vikings? Absolutely, but the refs' job is not to balance the penalties. They called what they saw and IMO got most of them right.

Ehh. I thought the holding calls were very one sided.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m still optimistic. A loss is never good. However there isn’t really anyone that scares the daylights out of me.

Minnesota is a good team, playing at home in a must win situation. They win on a last second FG and they were lucky that wasn’t us kicking for the win.
GB led with 3 minutes left in the game!. We were tied :03 seconds left. That game came down to which QB had the ball last. Meanwhile GB had about 7 starters sidelined!

It was a fantastic game to watch. Loved how resilient we played. You take Dalvin Cook out and put Aaron Jones in there? Hmmm. The Vikings are playoff toast. Don’t expect a fatigued covid Rodgers with no practice time! oops I meant pinky toe boo boo injury my bad :tup: (sure runs awful good on a bad toe!) :whistling:We are the better team and they are very fortunate to get away with a Win at US Bank. GB will win this Division, but with a Rocky finish. Probably 12-5. No way do the Vikings win out. That’s like a 1% chance.
The Vikings have to go through Lambeau 2X best case (if they make the playoffs which is a reasonable assumption) We won’t be toying around with resting players for a playoff run our next meeting in January. They are our first playoff game and the crowd is going to get a little crazy.

Expect a decisive Vikings elimination and that might be before playoffs. The Vikings better not lose another game in the meantime or it’s not going to be pretty in mini Apple. The Packers just showed me what I needed to know. Our Offense is on the rise!

PS. I apologized I was getting myself excited just thinking about it!

I am very scared of playing the Cardinals again in there house in the playoffs. I get we beat them already down players and maybe we give them a shalacking when healthy but they arent running Murray because theyre trying to keep him healthy. In a playoff scenario where they give him the go ahead to run is going to be lethal.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I completely agree. That Savage interference should have been overturned by another ref. The one making the call did not have a good angle. I thought these guys are supposed to work together to get it right. Not to just back up each other. And I don't think, except that play which was a big one, that the refs decided the game. We got beat in the trenches imho.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why didn't we double Jefferson? Why is Crosby still on this team, he sucks. Where is Bahktiari and Alexander? Get your ***** on the field. We are letting the #1 seed slip through our hands.
Now there is some deep thought there.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always takes longer to do these after a loss, need to digest...

Stud

2nd Half Offense/Rodgers/Dillon (Critical block on MVS TD)

Adams/MVS/EQ (Needs more snaps, runs a mean slant)

Line holding up well enough, even without Jenkins

KC/Lancaster/Preston(having a revitalized year)

Deguara

Dud

Secondary (Stokes's worst game as a Packer, but you had to figure one of these was coming. Jefferson is a beast)

Crosby

Officiating

Jenkins injury is devastating =(

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wasn't at the game, but I totally agree with this evaluation. The Packers just didn't make key plays, while the Vikings did. I'm not going to second guess anything, but "if" Savage had been able to hold on to that ball and made the INT, we'd all be talking about how the Packers showed grit, winning it.

The difference between us griping about a game and talking about it like it was a great win is often nothing more than one play that did or didn't work out in our favor.

All in all, the officials did a decent job. They let receivers and defenders work each other over pretty much unless they started grabbing. Personally, I like seeing receivers and defenders scrapping to pull that ball out of the air.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondary is a major huge dud

So many times just needed a single stop or even a FG and couldn't do it. Secondary is the strength of this defense to.. or at least I thought
The D did play poorly against the Queens. A lot to point out, but dropped INT, overturned INT due to penalty, final drive - all failures. As long as it's limited to this game, we'll all live. But they have to get back on track against the Rams, and I think they will and will win the game.

And while the kicking game is generally awful, this isn't the time to fix it with a street FA. I don't see Crosby back next year. I hope he can go out on a high note. He deserves it. It's just time for a change.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always takes longer to do these after a loss, need to digest...

Stud

2nd Half Offense/Rodgers/Dillon (Critical block on MVS TD)

Adams/MVS/EQ (Needs more snaps, runs a mean slant)

Line holding up well enough, even without Jenkins

KC/Lancaster/Preston(having a revitalized year)

Deguara

Dud

Secondary (Stokes's worst game as a Packer, but you had to figure one of these was coming. Jefferson is a beast)

Crosby

Officiating

Jenkins injury is devastating =(
Yeah the loss of the game I can deal with. The loss of Jenkins? Not so much. Lost him for this year and likely some part of next year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And while the kicking game is generally awful, this isn't the time to fix it with a street FA. I don't see Crosby back next year. I hope he can go out on a high note. He deserves it. It's just time for a change.
I'm not advocating against it, but just ask Mike Zimmer and the Vikings about moving on at the K position. It's been ugly for many years now. While we may not have the best FG kicker (or even top 5/10), there aren't a lot of guys out there that are better. It's a real spin of the roulette wheel to find dependable players. You do need to try, and I expect a true competition at kicker next season, but I think that the chances of Crosby winning the job again are better than 50% unless we find that diamond in the rough.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not advocating against it, but just ask Mike Zimmer and the Vikings about moving on at the K position. It's been ugly for many years now. While we may not have the best FG kicker (or even top 5/10), there aren't a lot of guys out there that are better. It's a real spin of the roulette wheel to find dependable players. You do need to try, and I expect a true competition at kicker next season, but I think that the chances of Crosby winning the job again are better than 50% unless we find that diamond in the rough.
I just don't blame Mason. I blame ST coach.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought on Savage. While he did not come down with the pics; he was running all over the place and in the mix a lot. I love that. He is playing like a free safety should. If he keeps it up; the pics will come.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Savage had a very good game. Yes, he needs to make that type of play but if everyone on the defense had played like him we'd be talking about a second shutout in a row by our defense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't blame Mason. I blame ST coach.
What did the ST coach do to get your blame for missed FGs?

I ask because I don't think that he is responsible for the changes. The GM got rid of the long snapper and changed the holder. You could blame the ST coach for the early season blocks possibly, but am curious as to what else.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the players did not block at all well our R side. On the coach and not sure it is even fixed now. Then he keeps going with a punter holding the ball when (even though he punts great) a team or two dropped him because he could not hold well. Then he proved to us he could not hold well and still he is doing the holding. The crap about practice schedule is just absurd imo. I would say making field goals is more important. Let the punter punt. Find someone else. Hell, high schoolers can do a good job of turning the laces and catching the hike cleanly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I ask because I don't think that he is responsible for the changes. The GM got rid of the long snapper and changed the holder. You could blame the ST coach for the early season blocks possibly, but am curious as to what else.
Yeah I have my doubts about the current ST coordinator but that relates to the overall play of STs. I think Crosby has had an outstanding career with GB, it just may be time to move on. That's an issue for the offseason, not now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the players did not block at all well our R side. On the coach and not sure it is even fixed now. Then he keeps going with a punter holding the ball when (even though he punts great) a team or two dropped him because he could not hold well. Then he proved to us he could not hold well and still he is doing the holding. The crap about practice schedule is just absurd imo. I would say making field goals is more important. Let the punter punt. Find someone else. Hell, high schoolers can do a good job of turning the laces and catching the hike cleanly.
Good points. Where is it written that the punter has to be the holder? This always struck me as silly as there are 52 other guys to choose from. So part of the problem is the holder, and that needs to be fixed by the coordinator, not Crosby. Crosby has had a great career. It might be time for a change however. Not now - next year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought on Savage. While he did not come down with the pics; he was running all over the place and in the mix a lot. I love that. He is playing like a free safety should. If he keeps it up; the pics will come.
Savage frustrates me immensely…. he is crazy fast… but has demonstrated multiple times that his hands are suspect.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage frustrates me immensely…. he is crazy fast… but has demonstrated multiple times that his hands are suspect.
Well he hasn't learned what all WRs know - you have to follow through and complete the catch. That's not as tough as it used to be, but yeah you have to grab the bald with your hands and then tuck it into your body. I'm just glad Savage is around the ball. In the upcoming years, this secondary is gonna get its share of INTs.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers' field goal unit has been far from dependable this season, ranking 31st in field goal percentage though.

I'm not suggesting Crosby is solely to blame for it but he's part of the problem.

The Packers didn't change the long snapper until after the unit already struggled though.

Where is it written that the punter has to be the holder? This always struck me as silly as there are 52 other guys to choose from. So part of the problem is the holder, and that needs to be fixed by the coordinator, not Crosby. Crosby has had a great career. It might be time for a change however. Not now - next year.

The Packers currently have only 52 players on the active roster. They could actuall sign anothet player just to hold on field goals on Sunday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers' field goal unit has been far from dependable this season, ranking 31st in field goal percentage though.

I'm not suggesting Crosby is solely to blame for it but he's part of the problem.

The Packers didn't change the long snapper until after the unit already struggled though.

The Packers currently have only 52 players on the active roster. They could actuall sign anothet player just to hold on field goals on Sunday.
Interesting they only have 52 currently. Gotta believe there is someone out there who knows how to hold for a FG or PAT. Hmmm, it hasn't snowed yet. Maybe I could practice in the backyard. Nah........

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're on fire, today, Schulz!! Can't wait for the 7pm show when you're loosened up. ;)
Well we know with 100% certainty that if the football were shaped like a beer bottle or can, there's no way Schultz is mishandling that snap. There's still the matter of getting laces on a beer bottle or can, but that's easily fixed.

Members online

Latest posts