Official Packers @ Minnesota

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As high-profile sports organizations on tv multiple times per week, the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA image and their employees are much more notable than if I do something stupid. It's a part of what athletes are paid millions of dollars to do, it's to be on their best behavior per the contract.

The NFL, like the NCAA is just a bit to high and mighty for my tastes.
For my tastes, I'd rather have influential organizations take a stand so that ordinary Joe, who wouldn't normally face the same repercussions, thinks about it before laying a hand on his child, wife, girlfriend, etc. Like MTV of the 1980s, sports culture seems to drive our society these days. It certainly doesn't drive me but I'm not ignorant to the role these athletes play in the lives of many Americans. I'm satisfied with one of the many reasons given by the NFL - Peterson has shown no remorse nor has he tried to change his ways in a manner that is apparent to his employer. The NFL's actions are fine for my tastes.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game against the Vikings is more important to the Packers than the Patriots game due to the division record tiebreaker.

Plus, if the Lions lose at New England this week, which is likely, the Packers can then lose to the Patriots also without having a major impact on the common games tiebreaker. I think the Packers win the common game tiebreaker no matter what happens in the Packers vs. New England game.

Basically, due to the quality of opponent, the Patriots game may seem bigger, but the Vikings game means much more. The coaches know this and will prevent any looking ahead to New England.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The game against the Vikings is more important to the Packers than the Patriots game due to the division record tiebreaker.

Plus, if the Lions lose at New England this week, which is likely, the Packers can then lose to the Patriots also without having a major impact on the common games tiebreaker. I think the Packers win the common game tiebreaker no matter what happens in the Packers vs. New England game.

Basically, due to the quality of opponent, the Patriots game may seem bigger, but the Vikings game means much more. The coaches know this and will prevent any looking ahead to New England.
Currently the Lions are 4-2 in common games with 2 left and the Packers are 3-1 with 4 games left.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
The NFL and each team actually has moral authority by contract to which players agree when they sign their contracts. That’s also true of other professional sports, endorsement contracts and some other entertainment industry contracts. Here’s a quote from an article titled, “Morals Clauses” in Sports Contracts – More Important Now Than Ever Before?

http://sportslawinsider.com/morals-clauses-in-sports-contracts-more-important-now-than-ever-before/

Analogies to “regular” employees don’t work IMO. For example, if an employee of Caterpillar Corp is accused of **** that does not affect Caterpillar the way a similar situation would affect the Packers. Pro sports market individual players to the public, Caterpillar doesn’t.

You are right. They do have "morality" clauses in their contracts.

This is something that did not immediately occur to me since ceding moral authority to a soulless, multibillion dollar international company seems so alien to anything resembling true morality, humanity and common sense.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
As high-profile sports organizations on tv multiple times per week, the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA image and their employees are much more notable than if I do something stupid. It's a part of what athletes are paid millions of dollars to do, it's to be on their best behavior per the contract.

For my tastes, I'd rather have influential organizations take a stand so that ordinary Joe, who wouldn't normally face the same repercussions, thinks about it before laying a hand on his child, wife, girlfriend, etc. Like MTV of the 1980s, sports culture seems to drive our society these days. It certainly doesn't drive me but I'm not ignorant to the role these athletes play in the lives of many Americans. I'm satisfied with one of the many reasons given by the NFL - Peterson has shown no remorse nor has he tried to change his ways in a manner that is apparent to his employer. The NFL's actions are fine for my tastes.
Fair enough. We will agree to disagree.

I just think it speaks of an ill society when we cede moral authority to a company. A man has a moral obligation to himself, his family and his society. Not to his employer at least not other than that as members of that society.

This society has an illness which raises notoriety to some lofty, moral pedestal.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You are right. They do have "morality" clauses in their contracts.

This is something that did not immediately occur to me since ceding moral authority to a soulless, multibillion dollar international company seems so alien to anything resembling true morality, humanity and common sense.
Thanks for that answer. Instead of evading the issue or pointlessly arguing, you admitted the league does have a form of moral authority over it's employees and then explained why you hate that they do.

BTW isn't every company big or small, including my small business "soulless" by definition? ;)

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Thanks for that answer. Instead of evading the issue or pointlessly arguing, you admitted the league does have a form of moral authority over it's employees and then explained why you hate that they do.

BTW isn't every company big or small, including my small business "soulless" by definition? ;)
Not necessarily.

I'm pretty sure the NFL is soulless though.

"Protect the Shield"

If Goodell perceives that an action or stance protects or enhances the bottom line, then that's what's done. Nothing more, nothing less. Period.

I have seen nothing to make me think they consider anything else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the Vikings could pull a Raiders and give us a scare...then GB pulls away by end of the 3rd and the human victory cigar is back out for his 6th finish. Matt is going to break the record for the most playing time by a non-starting QB during this one. The only thing close to soulless in this one is Bridgewater sole-less. Running for his life

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings could pull a Raiders and give us a scare...then GB pulls away by end of the 3rd and the human victory cigar is back out for his 6th finish. Matt is going to break the record for the most playing time by a non-starting QB during this one. The only thing close to soulless in this one is Bridgewater sole-less. Running for his life

KC's problem is they have the 2nd worst passing offense in the league. Its terrible. You shut down Charles (easier said than done) and all of a sudden that offense is horrendous.

Unless Rodgers turns the ball over I have a hard time seeing MN making much of a game out of this. Never know though, this league will surprise you every week

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'd offer that the people that run it are soulless
That'll do it every time. ;) Or they are at least, over-educated, money worshipping , amoral double talkers.

Look, don't get me wrong. I love the product the NFL puts out. It's why I'm in this forum. But some things are more important because after all, it is only a game.

Look at this recent spate of negative attention on the NFL: Concussions, knocking your old lady old cold like she's a man on an elevator etc.

Public opinion forced Goodell to do something. He saw a threat to the "shield" which is the ONLY reason he appointed those women to help with NFL image in treatment of the fairer sex.

Really? You need a bunch of women in your company who's only purpose is to show the world that you know how to treat women or that you're willing to learn?

If you didn't learn this by watching how your dad treated your mom your whole life, I'm supposed to say I feel sorry for you but I don't since it's something you could have learned on your own in life.

Just stay the hell away from my daughters and if need be, I'll see to it that you do by any means necessary.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

After the Lions lost to the Cardinals and the Packers beat the Eagles there is no way the common games will decide a tie-breaker between the two teams. If they end up with the same record both teams being 1-1 in games not common (without any left) guarantees they would have an equal record in common games at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Lions lost to the Cardinals and the Packers beat the Eagles there is no way the common games will decide a tie-breaker between the two teams. If they end up with the same record both teams being 1-1 in uncommon games (without any left) guarantees they would have an equal record in common games at the end of the season.

Say the Lions lose to the Patriots and then win out up until Green Bay and we win out also. If the Lions beat us week 17, we'd have the same record, but different common games record. Not that it would matter as Lions would own the tiebreaker due to head to head wins though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Say the Lions lose to the Patriots and then win out up until Green Bay and we win out also. If the Lions beat us week 17, we'd have the same record, but different common games record. Not that it would matter as Lions would own the tiebreaker due to head to head wins though.

Of course I was only talking about a case in which it would matter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report
Out: TE Bostick
Questionable: OLB Perry, CB Bush, OLB Elliott, DL Jones ankle
Probable: LB Matthews, G Lang, G Sitton

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Their D OVERALL is BETTER than ours, at least on paper but Rodgers trumps that differential 5 times. For the Pack, it's all about the O Line in this game.

I fully expect our D to make a long day on Bridgwater. They may as well have Joe Kapp under center.

I'll eat my hat if the Pack don't spank em'.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Their D OVERALL is BETTER than ours, at least on paper but Rodgers trumps that differential 5 times. For the Pack, it's all about the O Line in this game.

I fully expect our D to make a long day on Bridgwater. They may as well have Joe Kapp under center.

I'll eat my hat if the Pack don't spank em'.
Crow tastes better with some good barbecue sauce.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Crow tastes better with some good barbecue sauce.
We shall see. You speak as if it's a forgone conclusion that the pack will lose. :cry:

Just like I was with the Pack winning. :p
No need for the Barbecue sauce just yet...

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers injury report
Out: TE Bostick
Questionable: OLB Perry, CB Bush, OLB Elliott, DL Jones ankle
Probable: LB Matthews, G Lang, G Sitton

Man, Perry and Jones again injured. For Perry it's just about on schedule. he's been playing pretty well, so it's time to get injured. Big huge /sigh. I hope the injury to Perry isn't anything significant. And Jones? . . . Again, he has shown flashes, made some decent plays but that ankle was his major problem so far, limiting his mobility and push-off.

P.S. I just don't know about Datone Jones. The guy twisted that same ankle that he injured before yet again. It is becoming a chronic injury with him.

Last edited:

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me delusional all you want, whatever. First of all...there are NO guarantees in pro sports. I don't care if you have a team who is 15-0 playing a team who is 0-15. There are no guarantees period. You will never ever ever see me say "the Packers got this game in the bag" or "the Packers will win this one for sure". I am a realist and realize crazy things happen. The Vikings could come out and just have everything clicking and the Packers could come out and be flat on both sides of the ball. It could happen. Probably not.

My guess is something like Packers winning: 30-20 Yes I think the game will be a lot closer than some people here are saying. And of course there is a slight chance the Vikings could win. But I think the Packers will win. I just don't think it'll be a blowout. The Packers have had two blowout wins in a row. I don't see a third.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me delusional all you want, whatever. First of all...there are NO guarantees in pro sports. I don't care if you have a team who is 15-0 playing a team who is 0-15. There are no guarantees period. You will never ever ever see me say "the Packers got this game in the bag" or "the Packers will win this one for sure". I am a realist and realize crazy things happen. The Vikings could come out and just have everything clicking and the Packers could come out and be flat on both sides of the ball. It could happen. Probably not.

My guess is something like Packers winning: 30-20 Yes I think the game will be a lot closer than some people here are saying. And of course there is a slight chance the Vikings could win. But I think the Packers will win. I just don't think it'll be a blowout. The Packers have had two blowout wins in a row. I don't see a third.
OK whatever. Hey, you wrote that we could call you that!

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by a blowout then to feel let down expecting one when it doesn't happen.
Just as long as we win, that's all I want. And if we get a blowout, even better.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Chiefs are playing with Alex Smith, not Aaron Rodgers. Remember, the guy who was the top overall pick in the 2005 draft, allowing ARod to slip to the Packers at #24.

H

HardRightEdge

Looking at this game every which way it's hard to see how Minnesota can keep it close.

The Packer O-Line is playing well in pass pro despite the dings; the variety of Matthews-in-the-middle looks is particularly appealing against the rookie QB; the game counts for Packer playoff positioning.

It's going to take a few key injuries or peculiar bounces for Minnesota to keep this close.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chiefs are playing with Alex Smith, not Aaron Rodgers. Remember, the guy who was the top overall pick in the 2005 draft, allowing ARod to slip to the Packers at #24.

So what is your point? Are you trying to say the Chiefs are prone to getting a scare from a crap team because they have Smith but with the Packers that will never happen because we have Rodgers? So are you saying Rodgers is a machine and never ever has a bad game? Here is a fact: on any given day any team can win. You are just thinking about how well the Packers have been playing and how crappy the Vikings have been playing. What you aren't realizing is that a team can magically just have an amazing game where all cylinders are firing and another team can magically lay a dud where nothing is going right. That is always a possibility which is why no win is ever guaranteed.
For the record I don't see that happening here, I see the Packers winning. But I also will say I'm almost certain this game will not be a blowout like everyone is saying.

H

HardRightEdge

It's a documented irony that McCarthy preferred Smith over Rodgers when he was OC at SF.

KC is built according to the preferred model in the absence of a QB capable of carrying the team: stout D; good running game; a game manager QB who limits mistakes and can move the ball in the short passing game.

This is a formula for winning a lot of close games. However, if the game gets away a bit early on (like a 90 yd. run), or turnovers are not favorable, or a big special teams play results in a 7 point swing, the formula is vulnerable.

KC can beat anybody, especially at home, when they limit big plays and mistakes. Their notable weakness this season is the absence of takeaways...a total of 8 for 30th. in the league against Smith's game-managing giveaway total of 10.

I'd not want to play them in Arrowhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts