Official Packers @ Minnesota

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Packers go totally to sleep the only questions about this game are how big will the win be and can they notch a third straight 50 point game.

The Vikqueens are a bad football team. They are playing a last place schedule so they've been given plenty of mediocrities to pad their record better than they actually are. Even at that Tampa Bay and Washington had to give them games and the only reason Chicago didn't put 40 on them last Sunday was due to the Bears' own incompetence. In reality Minisota is a 2-8 outfit.

The Packers demolished them once already, and while that may be a cause for some caution about an embarrassed team not wanting to allow that again, even a "down" Green Bay squad and an "inspired" Queens' team won't get them closer than 20 points in this one.

They could be pesky on a return or two. There are a few guys on their defense that will have to be accounted for: Chad Greenway, Harrison Smith, Everson Griffin and maybe their rookie lb Anthony Barr. But they haven't so much stopped opponents as some opponents have stopped themselves, which the Packers are not prone to do.

They wouldn't run or score on Chicago's terrible defense so why should anyone think they will do better against the Pack, the way the D is playing these days. Their o-line is one of the worst pass blocking and their rookie qb makes bad decisions under pressure.

Maybe this is the game where Aaron Rodgers breaks the single game td passing record by throwing for 8. If he's at all close to 7 McCarthy should let him go for it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're 2 and 3 on the road, easily could be 1 and 4. Vikes have a decent defense. If the home team shows up we win easily; if it's the road team it'll be a dogfight. I think MM has turned the team, and Rogers likes domes.

Packers 34
Yikes 17
I think the move of Matthews to ILB has made a much bigger impact on our defense as a whole than many would have expected. I think the improvement is more than a fluke and our defense should continue to improve as Clay settles into his new role even more. This is starting to feel a little more like a team of destiny as the season wears on. If we win this game and beat New England by a decent margin, say something like 31-17, then I think the monicker of "Super Bowl Favorite" becomes entirely fitting. The next 11 days are going to be very telling about this team.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this is the game where Aaron Rodgers breaks the single game td passing record by throwing for 8. If he's at all close to 7 McCarthy should let him go for it.

The only way that record gets broken is if the game is a high-scoring shootout. That's just not going to happen.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way that record gets broken is if the game is a high-scoring shootout. That's just not going to happen.
If it's on the way to be another blowout I'd rather have Rodgers taken out to protect him since they will be playing on a frozen hard ground.
We cannot afford to lose him for another few weeks this deep in the season with the roll they are on.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not think that this game has been won already. I fully expect to win, but you never know. No one saw the Rams beating the Broncos last week. Upsets happen. We haven't faced Bridgewater yet. I am confident but not assured of victory.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not think that this game has been won already. I fully expect to win, but you never know. No one saw the Rams beating the Broncos last week. Upsets happen. We haven't faced Bridgewater yet. I am confident but not assured of victory.

The Rams already had beaten the 49ers and Seahawks. No comparison. ...but I agree... I'm expecting a 10 point or more win but if they don't take care of business, it's the NFL and anyone can lose in any given week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vikings have added RB Ben Tate who was released by the Browns yesterday.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Unless the Packers go totally to sleep the only questions about this game are how big will the win be and can they notch a third straight 50 point game.

The Vikqueens are a bad football team. They are playing a last place schedule so they've been given plenty of mediocrities to pad their record better than they actually are. Even at that Tampa Bay and Washington had to give them games and the only reason Chicago didn't put 40 on them last Sunday was due to the Bears' own incompetence. In reality Minisota is a 2-8 outfit.
They play two different teams than the Packer do. So if the Vikings have plenty of mediocrities to pad their record, what do the Packers have. Vikings played the Rams and Skins. The Packer played the Seahawks and Eagles. Other than those games, all other games are the same.

Current records of teams played so far.

MN 47-53 .470
GB 42-57-1 .425

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Any given Sunday! When will people learn? I talked to a couple over confident Broncos fans vs the Rams...oops.
Well, just to play Devil's Advocate here, on paper their D is ranked 12th over all. Packers is ranked 25th according to NFL.com.

But unfortunately for the Vikes, the game will be played
It's not working.
:laugh:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They play two different teams than the Packer do. So if the Vikings have plenty of mediocrities to pad their record, what do the Packers have. Vikings played the Rams and Skins. The Packer played the Seahawks and Eagles. Other than those games, all other games are the same.

MN 47-53 .470
GB 42-57-1 .425
This is an often misquoted statement. There is a four game opponent difference if you stop and think about it.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MN 47-53 .470
GB 42-57-1 .425

And if the Vikes don't have St. Louis and Washington and Tampa Bay on that schedule they aren't 4-6. Actually they deserve credit for their best game of the year back in that opener against the Rams. And the Falcons. But TB and Washedoutington blew games to them. And they may yet pad the record with home games against Carolina, Jets and Bears teams that have little or nothng to play for this year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And if the Vikes don't have St. Louis and Washington and Tampa Bay on that schedule they aren't 4-6. Actually they deserve credit for their best game of the year back in that opener against the Rams. And the Falcons. But TB and Washedoutington blew games to them. And they may yet pad the record with home games against Carolina, Jets and Bears teams that have little or nothng to play for this year.
As the Packers have already played the Jets, and Carolina. Vikes tough part of the schedule was the first 6 games. most Packer fans had them 0-6. Didn't turn out that way.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
This is a must win game for the Packers, so I really hope they don't mess it up. I'm really hoping the Pack can do a third 50+ game, yet I can really see the Vikings really stepping up this game and knocking the Pack back. At the same time I also think the Vikings not getting Peterson back, Patterson slumping a bit, and having Bridgewater learn the system is going against the Pack. Hoping for a great Packers beat down, though wouldn't be surprised if the game is decided by two points either say.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just don't look past a divisional rival. The Vikings are not the pitiful Raiders or Jags. They have won some games against decent teams. This game is more important than the NE game in terms of the post-season.

Packers are nursing a few injuries as well. I think it will be closer than the last couple of games....wow what a prediction on my part since the last 2 were utter blow-outs. Vikings may come out more fired-up because the AP situation is basically a done deal and they are own their own.

28-17 Packers. Some may laugh but I think Vikings will play tough.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in seven games he hasn't exactly been stellar with his 6 INTs and 4TDs, but I guess he could outperform Rodgers on his home turf.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another interesting stat on Football Outsiders is "variance", which measures a team's consistency from one week to another. The Packers rank 21st and the Vikes 20th, so both are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in consistency--which only says that they both have good and bad weeks, the difference being the Vikes have more bad than good; and the Packers more good than bad. Oakland ranks 1st; they've been consistently bad. Arizona ranks 2nd; they've been consistently good. The game could be close if our bad team and their good team shows up. It will be a route if our good team shows up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The NFL has absolutely no moral authority.
The NFL and each team actually has moral authority by contract to which players agree when they sign their contracts. That’s also true of other professional sports, endorsement contracts and some other entertainment industry contracts. Here’s a quote from an article titled, “Morals Clauses” in Sports Contracts – More Important Now Than Ever Before?
Section 11 of the NFL standard player contract, for instance, provides that “if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract.” Moreover, the NFL Personal Conduct Policy authorizes the NFL Commissioner “to impose discipline as warranted” when a player fails to conduct himself “in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful . . . even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.”
http://sportslawinsider.com/morals-clauses-in-sports-contracts-more-important-now-than-ever-before/

Analogies to “regular” employees don’t work IMO. For example, if an employee of Caterpillar Corp is accused of **** that does not affect Caterpillar the way a similar situation would affect the Packers. Pro sports market individual players to the public, Caterpillar doesn’t.

Latest posts