1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Barnett Deal?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerLegend, Sep 19, 2006.

1. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    When he was a rookie he signed a 7 year deal with the last 2 years as an option what is this supposed to mean? If it doesnt go into the last 2 option years then he would be a free agent but if it does then he is under contract until 2009. Can some one clear this up for me.

2. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We can pick up his option and keep him for an extra 2 years, or we can let him go after 5. It's 100% the team's decision, and there's no cap penalty or anything like that for letting him go after 5.

3. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    well duh why would we let him go then?

By the way thanks KMAC for clearing that up.

4. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Save the money? He doesn't want to play here anymore? I have no idea, but I imagine that Nick will be a Packer for 2 more years.

5. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know his contract but usually the option years are pretty cap heavy. Sometimes the team will try to renegotiate the player to a more cap friendly deal.

6. Favreforever721

Favreforever721 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the front office is smart and keeps Barnett here, or that will be the last straw. Him and Hawk could be amazing together

7. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing how Barnett is still only 25 years old i would be so pissed off if they let him go.

8. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    With all the cap money they still have this year I could see the Pack signing him to a deal that would make him a Packer for a very long time considering his age.

9. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I see us building a team around those linebackers especially if A-Rod won't be able to carry a team on his own, then we'll turn to our defence.

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just imagine Barnett, Hawk, and Hodge on the same team two years from now. We're going to have the best set of linebackers in the league. I sincerely hope we do what we can to keep Barnett.

11. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Let me throw something else in here.

Barnett is not off to a great start this year.

TT might look at Barnett and think that Hodge has more of an upside long term. He might let Barnett float in FA to set a price, then choose to match any offer, or let him go, knowing Hodge can probably do the job next year.

Barnett has been a solid contributor....but I always judge ability on Pro Bowls. He is close to becoming like the 1980's Packers offensive line. They all thought so highly of their skills they held out each year until the Packers caved. But none of them were named to the Pro Bowl...meaning they were getting paid more than they were worth. Hodge might have more ability--Pro Bowl capability--than Barnett.
    The Packers had a solid veteran player in Robert Thomas last year. But TT thought Hawk would have more long term top-level capability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnett was allowed to try FA this year.

12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hodge is far from proving he's a better player than Barnett. Heck, Hodge isn't even ready to start in the NFL yet.

It'd be foolish to give Barnett a sniff of FA and that move would definitely hurt our defense. The guy has a ton of experience on this team now and he's only 25. If TT believes that Manuel is worth a big contract, then he's got to know that Barnett is worth more.

13. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If TT lets Barnett Go He Should Be Fired!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides it is a no brainer about Robert Thomas and AJ Hawk. Hodge has yet to come even close to showing us he can fill Barnetts shoes.

14. yourout

yourout Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Barnett is a solid 2nd tier linebacker. That said.....we need to keep him for at least this year and next. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he is capable of becoming a top tier LB.

15. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would do probably the least popular decision.

I pitch this idea to a friend of mine and Harry Sidney even mentioned it a bit on the radio. Briefly and nothing serious and no rumors but he did make note of this making the team better.

Hodge has been nothing but impressive in practices and had a solid preseason as well. IF the Packers feel good about him, I think they start Hodge in the middle and pickup the 2 years on Barnett. I then think you trade Nick Barnett for a Player. Barnett is the type of player where you can probably get maybe a WR, Safety, lineman for. I know this isn't the most popular decision but if the Packers feel good about Hodge and Hodge has all the instincts to be solid, then I think you explore this option.

I also agree with Sidney when he said the only LB on the roster that is not tradable is AJ Hawk. The rest are tradable and I think you can get a pretty good player for a pretty good player. In this case Barnett for a good player. Maybe a DT to play next to Pickett or even a RB for next year.

16. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Hodge is a natural middle linebacker. Barnett could be moved outside, but the best bet might be as suggested above, take the option and trade him.

But I doubt TT's going to let both of them be on the roster next year, given the holes in other parts of the roster.

17. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is Barnett is more of a weakside LB than strongside LB. We have AJ Hawk at the weakside. So it puts us in a dilema with Barnett. Right now he'll stay in the middle but I believe if Green Bay can get a quality player for Barnett who is a quality player, then you consider making the move.

18. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    i agree that the best value would be a trade for Barnett in a year or two...

BUT lets see about Abdul before we jump on the trade... and not just in practice... lets see how he does on the feild before we do anything