Nick Barnett Deal?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he was a rookie he signed a 7 year deal with the last 2 years as an option what is this supposed to mean? If it doesnt go into the last 2 option years then he would be a free agent but if it does then he is under contract until 2009. Can some one clear this up for me.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can pick up his option and keep him for an extra 2 years, or we can let him go after 5. It's 100% the team's decision, and there's no cap penalty or anything like that for letting him go after 5.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Save the money? He doesn't want to play here anymore? I have no idea, but I imagine that Nick will be a Packer for 2 more years.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know his contract but usually the option years are pretty cap heavy. Sometimes the team will try to renegotiate the player to a more cap friendly deal.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the front office is smart and keeps Barnett here, or that will be the last straw. Him and Hawk could be amazing together

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing how Barnett is still only 25 years old i would be so pissed off if they let him go.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just imagine Barnett, Hawk, and Hodge on the same team two years from now. We're going to have the best set of linebackers in the league. I sincerely hope we do what we can to keep Barnett.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me throw something else in here.

Barnett is not off to a great start this year.

TT might look at Barnett and think that Hodge has more of an upside long term. He might let Barnett float in FA to set a price, then choose to match any offer, or let him go, knowing Hodge can probably do the job next year.

Barnett has been a solid contributor....but I always judge ability on Pro Bowls. He is close to becoming like the 1980's Packers offensive line. They all thought so highly of their skills they held out each year until the Packers caved. But none of them were named to the Pro Bowl...meaning they were getting paid more than they were worth. Hodge might have more ability--Pro Bowl capability--than Barnett.
The Packers had a solid veteran player in Robert Thomas last year. But TT thought Hawk would have more long term top-level capability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnett was allowed to try FA this year.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Let me throw something else in here.

Barnett is not off to a great start this year.

TT might look at Barnett and think that Hodge has more of an upside long term. He might let Barnett float in FA to set a price, then choose to match any offer, or let him go, knowing Hodge can probably do the job next year.

Barnett has been a solid contributor....but I always judge ability on Pro Bowls. He is close to becoming like the 1980's Packers offensive line. They all thought so highly of their skills they held out each year until the Packers caved. But none of them were named to the Pro Bowl...meaning they were getting paid more than they were worth. Hodge might have more ability--Pro Bowl capability--than Barnett.
The Packers had a solid veteran player in Robert Thomas last year. But TT thought Hawk would have more long term top-level capability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barnett was allowed to try FA this year.

Hodge is far from proving he's a better player than Barnett. Heck, Hodge isn't even ready to start in the NFL yet.

It'd be foolish to give Barnett a sniff of FA and that move would definitely hurt our defense. The guy has a ton of experience on this team now and he's only 25. If TT believes that Manuel is worth a big contract, then he's got to know that Barnett is worth more.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT lets Barnett Go He Should Be Fired!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides it is a no brainer about Robert Thomas and AJ Hawk. Hodge has yet to come even close to showing us he can fill Barnetts shoes.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett is a solid 2nd tier linebacker. That said.....we need to keep him for at least this year and next. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he is capable of becoming a top tier LB.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yourout said:
Barnett is a solid 2nd tier linebacker. That said.....we need to keep him for at least this year and next. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he is capable of becoming a top tier LB.

I would do probably the least popular decision.

I pitch this idea to a friend of mine and Harry Sidney even mentioned it a bit on the radio. Briefly and nothing serious and no rumors but he did make note of this making the team better.

Hodge has been nothing but impressive in practices and had a solid preseason as well. IF the Packers feel good about him, I think they start Hodge in the middle and pickup the 2 years on Barnett. I then think you trade Nick Barnett for a Player. Barnett is the type of player where you can probably get maybe a WR, Safety, lineman for. I know this isn't the most popular decision but if the Packers feel good about Hodge and Hodge has all the instincts to be solid, then I think you explore this option.

I also agree with Sidney when he said the only LB on the roster that is not tradable is AJ Hawk. The rest are tradable and I think you can get a pretty good player for a pretty good player. In this case Barnett for a good player. Maybe a DT to play next to Pickett or even a RB for next year.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge is a natural middle linebacker. Barnett could be moved outside, but the best bet might be as suggested above, take the option and trade him.

But I doubt TT's going to let both of them be on the roster next year, given the holes in other parts of the roster.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Hodge is a natural middle linebacker. Barnett could be moved outside, but the best bet might be as suggested above, take the option and trade him.

But I doubt TT's going to let both of them be on the roster next year, given the holes in other parts of the roster.

Problem is Barnett is more of a weakside LB than strongside LB. We have AJ Hawk at the weakside. So it puts us in a dilema with Barnett. Right now he'll stay in the middle but I believe if Green Bay can get a quality player for Barnett who is a quality player, then you consider making the move.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree that the best value would be a trade for Barnett in a year or two...

BUT lets see about Abdul before we jump on the trade... and not just in practice... lets see how he does on the feild before we do anything