Nfcg duds and studs

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they're a way better football team than us and preparation can't overcome that. We needed to be at our best tonight and they needed to be at their worst for us to have a shot. Didn't happen.
That quote said it all. We needed the Niners to make mistakes as everyone in the U.S. was aware they were the more talented team. Unfortunately, the mistakes were all ours, beginning with a QB who never really thought his team could win the game, a defense that should have remained on the plane, and ending with draft inertia for the next how many years to come. The game was embarrassing ,and how we got this far remains inexplicable....and in the end, lady luck did us no favors.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaching that goal of a SB championship use to be,take your time and develop, but its much faster and unforgiving, success has to be almost near immediately, and unpopular decisions have to be made at times, at least we weren’t 1 and done “but” certain teams we just can't seem to overcome them when we need to, its always blame coaches but front office should be more vulnerable than them if the team is not successful, the Packers did well getting rid of TT, now its time to look at Murphy..

SF didn't become the team they are overnight. This year is the result of 2 drafts orchestrated by Gute. To expect more than we got is a tad unrealistic. Murphy is the one who hired Gute so it might be a tad early to storm his office with torches and pitchforks.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move on from Rogers . Teams with garropolos and 6 pass attempts are winning . No one player worth the money. Specially with first half performance. By Martinez . Inside lbs bad. Clard didn't even earn it tonight . Can t believe a team that tanked on purpose to get bosa won. Play calling was crap. Worst first half ever. Wish Rogers showed some Brett Favre passion. Ug... Hardcore rooting for chiefs

Okay, let's say we move on from Rodgers. Who do you suggest we go and get? Unless we give a team drafting near the top most of our picks we aren't gonna find Rodgers' replacement at #30. What teams out there have a Garoppolo lurking behind their starter? There aren't 32 decent starting QBs as it is. We can still win with Rodgers. He isn't the player he once was so he needs a better supporting cast than he has presently.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you honestly say that Aaron Rodgers is playing and acting the way he always has? I just don't see it. I see a guy that seems conflicted with what and where he wants to be. I really could see him calling a news conference and saying he is done. He is one person that cannot hide his feelings. They are written all over his face. So yes, I do question his passion. I thought that's what this forum was for - opinions.

I didn't see his post game presser but from everything I've heard he has said he had more fun this year than in a while.

No, he isn't the player he once was. Nobody beats Father Time. But he is better than most of QBs out there so with the right supporting cast we can still do it with him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's not Rodger's style, he shouldn't try to adopt it. I don't think i've ever seen the offense quit. I don't care how he leads his troops. Even when they're doing everything wrong, they get back up and try to do better. if that team quit 1/16th as easily as many fans do around here that game would have been over halfway thru the first quarter, yet they played on.

Spot on! Was reading some posts and these were my thoughts exactly. Get out of my head!

Can you honestly say that Aaron Rodgers is playing and acting the way he always has? I just don't see it. I see a guy that seems conflicted with what and where he wants to be. I really could see him calling a news conference and saying he is done. He is one person that cannot hide his feelings. They are written all over his face. So yes, I do question his passion. I thought that's what this forum was for - opinions.

Have you seen the video of him in the draft room back in 2005 and heard his comments after the draft? Go back and watch him play early in his career. He hasn't changed much.

I will never say "people need to get over it" because that is up to them to figure out how to deal with their own emotions. However, if they and the media, who love to capture and report on what they consider dramatic news, haven't figured out that he is just being himself, you will continue to let it bother you and keep missing out on the good things he does.

Maybe you can learn from Mr. Rodgers himself?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My apologies, believe it or not but I actually read over your first post.

I've seen Brees do this. Not that it matters, my point is that AR is terribly lacking in this department, one which I hold in high regard to leadership. Others (including you) don't. That is fine, to each their own. We don't have to agree on how good a leader Aaron is. Like I said, this is an inferior point and one that is not the reason for us not reaching the SB. And you are right, a lot of people in the world aren't good leaders.

Explain to me how wins and AR's teammates not quitting on him equates to him being a good leader? These variables are probably better estimators of overall team talent and the tolerability of AR's behavior. He would have to be an absolute ******* in order for his teammates to quit on him during games.

I'm not questioning his heart or desire.

EDIT: Oh and btw @Do7, AR does not play as great as he used to do. AR is probably adequate to pretty good (at best) right now, a C+ to B-. Wouldn't call that leading by example anymore. So if he is not leading through his excellence anymore, than how is he leading?

Alright pull a time where Brees was rallying his team on the bench because again I sure as hell don't recall it. Again to each to their own I suppose. Rodgers' team does rally around them as they even have stated multiple times that when he has the ball in his hands they know they have a chance. So to question his leadership is still silly imo.

Not having your team quit on you has everything to do with leadership. We've seen this with Cutler, if you act like a buthole then chances are your teammates won't respect you and are less likely to block or play as hard, let alone if they don't believe in you.

As for leading by example, see the problem is because we've been spoiled by him anything short of what he's done will be met with frowned eyes, Rodgers is still A to B- in terms playing and ability and only a handful are better than him, in which I can only think of maybe 1 going forward that is hands down better than him. Rodgers still leads through his excellence, and doing what needs to be done. For one embracing his new role in the offense, in which he doesn't have to be the hero each and every time is one thing. So you're suggesting he has to be perfect? Is that it?

I find it weird how after everything he went through this past offseason we're still questioning him, after getting us to the conference championship after two abysmal years in which the dude was hurt both years, as evidence the last time he was fully healthy we were in the NFC Championship game like we were today.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wait until I conjure up some images of my dance moves i normally save for my wife and drop them off in there

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Obviously you're free to have opinions on a forum, but having said that while you are free to express those opinions, they are equally as freely to be criticized if someone doesn't necessarily agree. Just as long as people are respectful to opposing opinions, (which I have been so far) is what's important.

Secondly Rodgers has been injured a couple years, and this year if you had been listening to at the podium expresses how much he wants to win, and knows the importance of winning another Superbowl, so who am I or anyone for that matter, to question his heart? Football may not be the end all be all for him, and that is fine, but based on what Rodgers has said, he isn't done, and he's committed to the team and to winning another championship.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There’s been a few mentions toward potential retirement for Rodgers this offseason. All I have to say about that is

L
O
L

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s been a few mentions toward potential retirement for Rodgers this offseason. All I have to say about that is

L
O
L
Mine response is SMH. We have a 13-3 season and that isn't enough after how pitiful our previous two were. Don't get me wrong I wanted us to capitalize because nothing is ever guaranteed, but we've exceeded expectations. Anyone who says otherwise is full of complete ********.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously you're free to have opinions on a forum, but having said that while you are free to express those opinions, they are equally as freely to be criticized if someone doesn't necessarily agree. Just as long as people are respectful to opposing opinions, (which I have been so far) is what's important.

Secondly Rodgers has been injured a couple years, and this year if you had been listening to at the podium expresses how much he wants to win, and knows the importance of winning another Superbowl, so who am I or anyone for that matter, to question his heart? Football may not be the end all be all for him, and that is fine, but based on what Rodgers has said, he isn't done, and he's committed to the team and to winning another championship.

This year we also heard him say how much he enjoyed this season and his teammates. He might not be a rah rah type like Brees but I don't doubt he is respected and valued in that locker room.

H

HardRightEdge

Russell Wilson being the best example of one of the greatest talents and motivators to ever play the game.
Russell Wilson's seasons of success and lack thereof have a lot less to do with his talent and motivational skills than Seattle's cap situation. Besides, if you had to point to one player who defined the character of their Super Bowl teams, a silly proposition, it would have been Sherman. And maybe Lynch on the offensive side. Winning teams have multiple leaders, whether vocally or by example.

Seattle's 2013 Championship teams had the following cheap players with their cap numbers noted. Dollar-for-dollar, that was probably the best defense in the free agency era, maybe by a wide margin, with Wilson still on his cheap rookie deal.

Wilson: $680,000
Baldwin: $560,000
Tate: $880,000
Thomas: $2.9 mil
Wagner: $980,000
Sherman: $600,000
Chancellor: $3.9 mil
Total: $10.5 mil, or $16.0 in 2019 inflation-adjusted cap dollars

Their cap numbers in 2014, their follow-up Super Bowl near miss, were as follows. With Thomas getting paid, that might be the second best defense dollar-for-dollar:

Wilson: $820,000
Baldwin: $3.0 mil
Tate: gone in free agency
Thomas: $7.4 mil
Wagner: $1.2 mil
Sherman: $3.7 mil
Chancellor: $3.8 mil
Total: $19.9 mil minus Tate

By 2015, the numbers were as follows:

Wilson: $7.9 mil
Baldwin: $4.65 mil
Thomas: $7.4 mil
Wagner: $3.0 mil
Sherman: $12.2 mil
Chancellor: $5.1 mil
Total: $40.3 mil, or $52.8 mil 2019 inflation-adjusted dollars

That 2015 group was still a pretty cheap collection of Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber players particularly with Wilson at a $10.3 mil cap in 2019 inflation adjusted dollars.

Yet they have not been able to even get back to the NFCCG since 2014. Their O-Line is one area in particular that has been a problem spot in several of those succeeding seasons, while at the same time most of those players have peeled of in free agency and retirement.

This is an extreme example of how stacking drafts, getting a critical mass of core players on cheap rookie deals simultaneously, frees up cap space to fill out the roster in free agency, the teams own players or from outside. Unless you're Belichick, you just can't win without those stacked drafts even if not quite that extreme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year we also heard him say how much he enjoyed this season and his teammates. He might not be a rah rah type like Brees but I don't doubt he is respected and valued in that locker room.
Especially considering how positive his teammates have spoken about him on BOTH the offense and the defensive side. We've heard the Smith Bros. have nothing but love for him, we've seen the receivers revere him knowing how great he is and how they always have a chance at winning, same with the oline. And Rodgers always gives his teammates praise at the podium and is always critical of himself when he plays like garbage.

This happens every single time we lose, and it's really getting old at this point.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn't the player he once was so he needs a better supporting cast than he has presently.
Rodgers never could win on his own. Neither could Marino. The 2010 team had a lot of talent. Look at Mahomes, he has weapons all around him. All that talk about how SF would regret not drafting him. But GB has not put the pieces around him, who has let down who? The last two NFCCGs we've been badly outclassed, we haven't had the horses.

Rodgers has lost a step, but he's still a good quarterback. But we're not getting a Super Bowl win if we don't get the parts. Whether or not we can do that remains to be seen.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers never could win on his own. Neither could Marino. The 2010 team had a lot of talent. Look at Mahomes, he has weapons all around him. All that talk about how SF would regret not drafting him. But GB has not put the pieces around him, who has let down who? The last two NFCCGs we've been badly outclassed, we haven't had the horses.

Rodgers has lost a step, but he's still a good quarterback. But we're not getting a Super Bowl win if we don't get the parts. Whether or not we can do that remains to be seen.

I can't think of any QB, even Brady, who can do it on his own. We unfairly put wins and loses on the QB when football is the ultimate team sport.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both San Fran and KC will be in cap hell within the next two seasons, especially with all the players they have to resign. We are RIGHT where we want to be. Next year we add a couple pieces on both the offense and defense, and we'll be right back here with another chance to getting to The Superbowl. I'll even go on a lim and say Rodgers will be one of the MVP candidates next year, assuming we get another key offensive weapon, and the defense improves.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think San Fran is in any cap trouble are they? I think they have a good group that without injuries, could be really good for a while.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think San Fran is in any cap trouble are they? I think they have a good group that without injuries, could be really good for a while.
They won't be able to keep all of those players is what I was saying.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't be able to keep all of those players is what I was saying.
I think they have some guys that will be leaving in a year or 2 because of age freeing up money to sign the young guys when they're due a new contract.

Sky King

Reaction score
The past two clashes with the 49ers once again exposed a couple of important points about draft position. For one thing, having five 1st round draft picks within their front seven on D is highly advantageous and it showed with the 49ers. Compare that to the Packers front seven on D. No wonder they steamrolled the Packers run defense. Theoretically, a team needs to suck more often to have a shot at the blue-chippers. Plus, a team has to hit on their other day one and two picks for good measure.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they're a way better football team than us and preparation can't overcome that. We needed to be at our best tonight and they needed to be at their worst for us to have a shot. Didn't happen.
Better teams don't always win. All I want is for us to be competitive, put up a scrap, just hang in there slugging it out. Not roll over without a fight...which is what we did all 3 games in California.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
having five 1st round draft picks within their front seven on D is highly advantageous and it showed with the 49ers.
We've been just good enough to stay in the playoff hunt most years without being a truly elite team. Having Rodgers has kept us in the conversation. So we pick low in the draft, and spin our wheels in upper mediocrity. Sometimes it helps to go ahead and bottom out and get some high draft picks so you can get some good, young, cheap talent. The Patriots found a way to get around it, but they're the exception.

just hang in there slugging it out. Not roll over without a fight...which is what we did all 3 games in California.
I don't think we gave up, we just got destroyed in the trenches. We just don't match up with those guys.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Francisco is clearly the better team and the Packers got their *** beat.

Sure, we're all bummed out about it today but let's not turn on each other. The Packers had one hell of a season and we've got nothing to be ashamed about.

Anybody who believes AR12 is washed up is out of their mind. Sure, he's not the same player he was years ago but age and broken collarbones will do that to you.

Everyone remember the 70s and 80s when the Packers REALLY blew? I do.

There are a lot of moving parts to a championship football team.

The Pack still needs one or two.

SWR

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was all that talk about how we had to make the short passes to win, because otherwise the 49ers pass rush would destroy us. Unfortunately, as soon as we hit the short pass, their defenders were all over it and dropped the receiver where he stood. So it ended up being kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

I didn't feel too bad yesterday, because we were expected to lose. I actually feel more "sore" about it today. You hate to get that close and let the opportunity go by.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

one thing to point out, this is a forum and peeps should voice it out, its good therapy, as long as it is not personal. I am with you on Reid. Hopefully he gets his due as he is and always has been an excellent coach.

that`s me told....lol I just meant it wasn`t as bad as it looked to some ;)

Members online

Latest posts