Nfcg duds and studs

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's something special when some folks can chalk up the whole game at the feet of the QBs performance after just watching Jimmy G complete 6 passes with SF scoring 37 points.

Jimmy G. had no fumbles, no interceptions. Aaron Rodgers had 2 picks and I believe 3 fumbles. Rodgers was a total disappointment in the first half, giving us no chance.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was 31 of 39 with 300+ yards but he needs to go because he should have been 62 of 78 with 600+ so he could have put up enough points to win all by himself. Do I have that right?

He shouldn't throw ugly interceptions and fumble 3 times.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn’t Rodgers who was awful. It was the defense that was awful. Our defense is still bad. Just not AS bad... and only because of the free agent signings. Yes, the turnovers were pretty much the difference, but they could have been overcome if the defense had been able to get more than just a few stops in this game. How can a defense not stop the run when they KNOW they are going to run on virtually every snap?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G. had no fumbles, no interceptions. Aaron Rodgers had 2 picks and I believe 3 fumbles. Rodgers was a total disappointment in the first half, giving us no chance.

He had 8 passing attempts. They literally didn't even need to use their QB because our rushing defense was historically bad. The Quarterback doesn't play defense. I know that's hard for some of you to understand though.

Do you think the Packers would have had a better chance if Jimmy G was our QB? No you don't.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think the Packers would have had a better chance if Jimmy G was our QB? No you don't.
Nothing against Jimmy G, but they could have put my grandma back there handing the ball off 45 times, and the 49ers probably would have still won handily.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move on from Rogers . Teams with garropolos and 6 pass attempts are winning . No one player worth the money. Specially with first half performance. By Martinez . Inside lbs bad. Clard didn't even earn it tonight . Can t believe a team that tanked on purpose to get bosa won. Play calling was crap. Worst first half ever. Wish Rogers showed some Brett Favre passion. Ug... Hardcore rooting for chiefs
Rodgers has found his soulmate and God. It doesn't appear that football excites him anymore. Something is so different about him. PASSION - there is none.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was pretty disappointing after getting walloped the first time they didn't come to play again this time. Didn't expect them to win but I expected them to be competitive. That bugs me worse than the loss. Have to call it a successful season based on my preseason expectations, but hard to be proud after that performance. Even though we beat Seattle, they have a different kind of never-give-up grit this team just doesn't seem have.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What could he have done different? We were moving the ball. Rodgers had a **** first half. He had one fumble that put us in a hole. He had another fumble that gave SF a short field and an INT that gave them a short field. What is MLF supposed to do about that?

On the contrary, I think he coached well. He got them re-focused in the second half and the offense put up 20 points.

The dud on the coaching staff was Pettine. I think MLF might show him the door and bring in his own man.

Exactly

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Devante Adams - had a great game when afforded the opportunity. Absolutely shredded Sherman.

Jimmy Graham - I havent seen him move like he did on that post route in years.

Aaron Jones - he ran well in the 2nd half, had some nice cut back runs.

Alan Lazard - say what u want but he is developing, good number 3

Duds:

Pettine - this is by far the biggest defensive gaffe I have seen. no adjustments or learning going on. Switch to a modified 4-3 and stop the middle, its as easy as that. The opposing qb threw the ball never, but when he did, pettine played soft zone. NO.

Lowry - thrown around like a rag doll, and lost contain exclusively at the point of attack. no push.

Martinez - literally played himself off this team this year, and this game showed it. No instinct or filling quickly. AJ Hawk Jr

Preston Smith - did not stay home and got fooled on misdirections.

Lancaster - see Lowry. Same problem

All in all, I appreciated seeing the offense continue to fight, but the game was over by then for the most part. The holes showed in what the team lacks. Spectacular first season under MLF, but a change is needed to a previous hire. The GM should take a hard look at it too. This team is not far away. A few personnel changes and a good draft and this team has the look of a champion.
Just not yet. Great year, nothing to hang heads about. Growing pains.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't lay this loss at Rodgers feet. He didn't play that well, but the 49ers were just better than us. With the cap, the way to win in the NFL is to have a bunch of good, young, inexpensive players. It didn't help that we needed a quick start and didn't get it.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was 31 of 39 with 300+ yards but he needs to go because he should have been 62 of 78 with 600+ so he could have put up enough points to win all by himself. Do I have that right?

It's NOT always only about the "stats" though....

That's the thing. I hate to blame Aaron b/c he's done so many great things for the team and made so many ridiculous throws/plays (much like Brett tbh) but if you ONLY look at the "stats" you won't see the other important plays that Aaron just f***ed up on...

The fumbled snap, when he could have at least DOVE on the ball or fought for it?
The missed 3rd down read to Graham, early, that Aikman called that would have gone for a 1st down?
The multiple sacks taken?
Throwing the interception in OUR territory? (NOTE: I realize he was trying to make/force a play here, but Jesus, he couldn't have just thrown a 50+ yarder for an interception instead? Instead we turn the ball over on our OWN like 35 yard line and put the D in a bad spot)

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

According to this thread yes. Going up against the best D in the league with only 1 NFL caliber NFL receiver and A Jones means you need to make all those UDFA's into the next Jordy,Jennings,Cobb

Dude played well. Even that INT I put more on Alison.... Jordy,Jennings,Cobb,James Jones, Driver. Those types of receivers they don't make that mistake and read the D just like Arod. they LOOK FOR THE BALL before the sticks

9/12 for 64 yards 1 INT and 2 Fumbles in the 1st half as the 49ers built up a 27-0 lead. Those are the stats that matter.

Just because he made his stats look prettier against a D protecting a big lead doesnt mean his day cant be described as horrible

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey hey hey, I stopped reading after page 3. People please, I know we are disappointed here but look seriously, WE got to a championship game with a team who were coached by a rookie coach. After a season when we were written off by many coming into the season after last seasons performance !!! We shouldn`t have even been there but we were !!! I for one am proud. I can walk with my head held up. We are moving forward no matter how slowly.
There were flashes that made my heart jump and last year I couldn`t honestly say that. I`m totally behind the Chiefs now if only for Andy Reid.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never mind what happened for the next 59 minutes of the game huh? *****.
Agreed ... even that first 3 and out seems like luck in hindsight. 2 decent runs on 1st and second down followed by one good defensive play on 3rd and short.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey hey hey, I stopped reading after page 3. People please, I know we are disappointed here but look seriously, WE got to a championship game with a team who were coached by a rookie coach. After a season when we were written off by many coming into the season after last seasons performance !!! We shouldn`t have even been there but we were !!! I for one am proud. I can walk with my head held up. We are moving forward no matter how slowly.
There were flashes that made my heart jump and last year I couldn't honestly say that. I`m totally behind the Chiefs now if only for Andy Reid.
Slowly? We have moved forward so fast! And I completely agree. I generally am a very critical person, but given our expectations entering the season we had such an amazing year.

The only thing that bugs me is that Gute didn't actively pursue another pass catcher during the off/ regular season. Numerous opportunities presented themselves during the regular season and it has been obvious from the start that we needed a consistent second pass catcher. Furthermore, this was the most complete football team AR would have had in his career. Sure, we could have also needed help stopping the run but this defense could basically keep us in every game, more than we can say about defenses of years past. Adding a second consistent receiver would have sustained soooo many more drives. And of course adding guys do not guarantee that they will be consistent. But given the price many of these options demanded it was worth trying.

All in all, what a year and GPG. Let's resign Bulaga if we can and get an offensive playmaker and run stuffer in the off season.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look. I know the offense wasn’t great in the first half, and Rodgers made some mistakes. The interception was bad. The fumble? It’s really not for me to say who’s more to blame for that on the exchange. I get all of that.

But I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of watching the Packers lose playoff games when the defense doesn’t give the team a chance in hell. It’s not always going to be perfect offensively, but if the defense comes up with even 2 more stops in the first three quarters, we are right in the game.

In 8 playoff losses, the Packers have given up just under 37 points per game on average in the Rodgers era.

I’m just sick of it, man.

Like I said...no one showed up. But this same old song and dance of the Packers getting punked on defense in playoff losses is just sickening.
Wasn't great, are you actually serious mate? The different lenses through which we look to our offense (or I should say, Rodgers' team) and defense is LUDICROUS. It really never can be Rodgers and our (passing) offense right? Come on dude, just like you can say that if our D could get a few stops we would still be in the game, you can say the same thing about the Packers O scoring some points. Instead they couldn't even gain yardage consistently. Just like our defense fails to show up in the big games (nfc championship games), so has our O for the last 3 times. Plus our defense was on the field a lot of the time, while often also having to defend a very short field.

The units were both trash and this loss is as much on the offense as it is on the defense.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to think that MVP Rodgers will be back someday as if they are waiting on the messiah. It's not happening. There is a stark contrast between Rodgers now and Rodgers before he broke his clavicle. The accuracy isn't there like before. He has become tentative. He has become so obsessed with never throwing an INT that he no longer looks to throw into tight windows until desperation time. His decline over the past 2 seasons is about 25% physical and 75% mental. He can get the mental portion of that back, but first he has to admit to himself that there's a problem. I have my doubts that he can do that though. Either way. It's time to keep an eye open for the next guy over the next couple years.
I second this so bad, spot-on analysis.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure he won't look to throw to tight windows, which is what he did with the first Allison INT. He also was getting blasted on the really pretty good throw that the MLB knocked down with his arm because we don't have a TE that can run away from people. Not tight enough of a window? that bicep doesn't get int he way, that's a tough, good throw. What was desperate then? he didn't have a great first half, neither did anyone else. anyway, he was plenty accurate enough last night

It's funny, one person thinks you can't throw short against this defense because they're too fast and the other thinks he holds the ball too long. Both will criticize play calling not knowing what was called or what the intent of the play was or reads.

Dayooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all knew that this team could not play with the big boys and so our season ended with the big boys showing us what our team is not!

JimWB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are quarterbacks overrated? After watching the 49ers run at will over the Vikes and Pack. As a team GM, I might dump my millions in outstanding linemen, and settle for a mediocre quarterback? The game is usually won and lost in the trenches.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's okay to say rodgers isn't the same from 2016..

It's okay to say he should shoulder some blame
I don't mind people blaming this on Rodgers as he does deserve a fair share of the blame for how this game went, but to everyone questioning Rodgers ability, let alone his passion for the game, please stop.

As painful as this lost was need I remind some of you that the last two years we were missing out on the playoffs altogether and once again when Rodgers was healthy we made it back to the NFC Championship just like last time. Last year we were 6-9-1, and this year we more than doubled our wins with a rookie head coach, a new system, and with subpar talent. Rodgers had a lot of things working against him this season and yet he did pretty decent. Is it the "God mode" we've been accustomed to? Hell no, but just comes to show you how spoiled we are as a fanbase if we expect Rodgers to keep playing at that high of a level. It's just not realistic, especially for a man his age.
What's funny is that a large handful of you didn't expect us to make it this far, so this is an aberration. Yes we lost again, but to those who expected us to have a mediocre season and miss the post season, you guys don't get to complain, or shouldn't, especially considering we've passed expectations.

He'll have flashes and I think he has one more MVP season in him, but to for you guys to question his heart, I say get over yourselves. A part of me wishes Rodgers would retire simply because of how ungrateful some of you guys are. I get he didn't play well tonight, and again it's fine to criticize him on his performance for today as he deserves a fair share of the blame, but some of you guys are unbelievable.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are quarterbacks overrated? After watching the 49ers run at will over the Vikes and Pack. As a team GM, I might dump my millions in outstanding linemen, and settle for a mediocre quarterback? The game is usually won and lost in the trenches.
To be fair San Fran has ALOT of first rounders on that squad and a lot of young players. They'll be in cap hell in a couple years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's okay to say rodgers isn't the same from 2016..

It's okay to say he should shoulder some blame
It is ok, but people should maintain some perspective when they do. like that botched snap. Linsley put it on his inner thigh. Looked to be very much like a center missing a snap, but according to some, our QB doesn't care anymore and it was his fault.

Every short pass was wrong because the 9ers have too fast of a defense to gain any yards and every long pass was a mistake because Rodgers isn't accurate anymore and he holds the ball too long. I'm sorry, but the pass to Graham was a good pass. Mahomes will put one off the defenders earhole and it won't get knocked away and everyone will salivate all over him. His receivers dive and fall and make great plays all over the field and he's the most accurate thing ever. Meanwhile it's nice to have a ILB that can run with a TE and knock it down, or it sucks to have TE that can't run away from an ILB, either way we lose the equation and it's Rodger's fault around here.

So if you want to put that first fumble on Rodgers when he ran out from pressure and then got it stripped as he went down, fine. He should have secured it better. He's been fumbling more than he used to. It needs to change. But it's getting to be that every play that doesn't work, Rodgers was at fault around here. Most QB's lose the battle when you leave a free rusher unfettered right up the middle on a 3rd and long.

What do you want? a QB that looks at the rush every play? Guaranteed you lose every offensive snap if you have that guy behind center. Your guard should be able to at least stand in the way of a DB rushing up the middle and give you 2 seconds to throw. But that's probably just me defending Rodgers. I should be more realistic in my expectations.

Rodgers isn't perfect, but every play isn't his fault either.

Members online

Latest posts