Nfcg duds and studs

H

HardRightEdge

I mean I considered Rodgers as a dud, but I'm not questioning the dude's leadership. Let alone his heart. He had a bad game, it's unfortunate but it happens.
There's only one dud in this game and that's the run defense getting their heads handed to them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deep down I was expecting a loss(hoping for a miracle) but to lose to a running game, not just one quarter but 49ers running the whole game is beyond embarrassing! At least we could have held up our heads and heard, at the least, "great game, packers" if the packers played well and still lost. NOPE!

Fun nevertheless; however, this performance last night just reinforces that this season might have been a fluke(a rather enjoyable and one to laugh at). My wife, who didn't watch football until this year, stated last night that she noticed that the Packers were lucky winning some of their games considering how they played in them. But she is still is devastated because she DID invest so much emotion into this year's season and was so hoping for a chance to see them in the Super Bowl. :eek:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers never could win on his own. Neither could Marino. The 2010 team had a lot of talent. Look at Mahomes, he has weapons all around him. All that talk about how SF would regret not drafting him. But GB has not put the pieces around him, who has let down who? The last two NFCCGs we've been badly outclassed, we haven't had the horses.

Rodgers has lost a step, but he's still a good quarterback. But we're not getting a Super Bowl win if we don't get the parts. Whether or not we can do that remains to be seen.

In that regard, yes, Rodgers had a hell of a receiving corp. Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb(circa 2011)etc.

ASIDE from all the other factors that decide a game's outcome, I think Rodgers came to a stumbling block and had to come to terms that his elite receiving corp came to an end when Nelson left. I really think Nelson was a major factor and gave Rodgers confidence in that receiving corp he had from 2009 and on. You noticed the great chemistry the two had on the field. He just knew where Nelson was and it was magic. Once Nelson left I could only sense a deflated Rodgers and he really did what he could with Adams' and company.

Hopefully Rodgers, before his retirement, does get another gifted receiver to work with along side adams.

Sky King

Reaction score
When it comes to WRs, the Packers went from limousines to pork and beans in just a few seasons. Mix that with a few questionable decisions at TE and there you have it. Mediocrity on steroids seems paradoxical but that strangely could describe the current batch of WRs.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your underlying view (just not the AR part)...we do have a problem with mental fortitude during games which go against us. It goes more deeper than the need for pick me up sideline pep talks, but the mentality of the team that ideally should be instilled by the coach.

Agree, even though we beat them, despite their talent, imo a team like Seattle would never let a game get that out of hand and just pack it in.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I second this so bad, spot-on analysis.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can't still get us to the SB. But he has to understand his strengths and weaknesses and adapt. He also needs to learn to have faith in the guys that Gute puts around him. If he goes out and gets him an Amari Cooper and/or Hunter Henry this year, there better not be any hint of "trust" issues with those guys. I don't think he'll ever "trust" any rookie, no matter how good, so that can't be where his help comes from. He simply won't throw to them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, that doesn't mean he can't still get us to the SB. But he has to understand his strengths and weaknesses and adapt. He also needs to learn to have faith in the guys that Gute puts around him. If he goes out and gets him an Amari Cooper and/or Hunter Henry this year, there better not be any hint of "trust" issues with those guys. I don't think he'll ever "trust" any rookie, no matter how good, so that can't be where his help comes from. He simply won't throw to them.

He didn't give up on Adams. However, you are right he wasn't dependent on Adams for the most part in his rookie year but did give him some important plays.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
Despite the circumstances, late in the 4th qtr. a pass completion to Adams could have made it a one-score game with enough time left on the clock to make the finish very interesting. Instead, it was a slightly overthrown ball that got intercepted. Alas, how abrupt the momentum shift would have been had Adams somehow scored on that play!

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not having your team quit on you has everything to do with leadership. We've seen this with Cutler, if you act like a buthole then chances are your teammates won't respect you and are less likely to block or play as hard, let alone if they don't believe in you.
The difference being that Cutler, apart from being a buthole, was also a terrible player. Neither of the things that Aaron is

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't give up on Adams. However, you are right he wasn't dependable on Adams for the most part in his rookie year but did give him some important plays.

That was also 5 years ago, before you started hearing about Rodger's so-called "trust" issues. But how many receivers has he given up on since then? Even the ones he praises he rarely throws at. You can blame the receivers all day long, but it gets harder and harder to give everything you have when you know it's unlikely he's going to throw the ball your way even when you're open.

It used to be Green Bay was a place where young receivers came to flourish. But it looks more and more like where they go to die on the vine. I know if I were a rookie WR, at this point I would not want to play with Rodgers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Despite the circumstances, late in the 4th qtr. a pass completion to Adams could have made it a one-score game with enough time left on the clock to make the finish very interesting. Instead, it was a slightly overthrown ball that got intercepted. Alas, how abrupt the momentum shift would have been had Adams somehow scored on that play!
Pretty sure it was a 3 score game at that point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he praises them likely because they're working hard, not because they're good. Lazard has gotten a good number of targets, just the eye test should tell you why vs the other guys and this is despite him still not always running the right routes.

any of those young receivers go on to flourish anywhere else? a few of them are here having some success despite not having any anywhere else or be able to stay on a roster.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference being that Cutler, apart from being a buthole, was also a terrible player. Neither of the things that Aaron is
Still doesn't make anything I said any less true. And considering how it got so bad to the point where Cutler had to change separately from everyone else, that buffers my point. All of Rodgers' teammates have expressed nothing but confidence in him as he has in them. Again if he's not your cup of tea in regards to his leadership, that's fine, but his leadership shouldn't be in question.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still doesn't make anything I said any less true. And considering how it got so bad to the point where Cutler had to change separately from everyone else, that buffers my point. All of Rodgers' teammates have expressed nothing but confidence in him as he has in them. Again if he's not your cup of tea in regards to his leadership, that's fine, but his leadership shouldn't be in question.

And exactly why should his leadership not be in question? Constantly pointing your finger at your teammates isn't leadership. Leadership has never been his strong point. He constantly looks like he would rather be somewhere else. When the team is doing poorly he's usually on the bench by himself moping these days.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol the real Packer defense showed up yesterday. Had Penny or Carson played we wouldn’t have beaten Seattle. I’m even more convinced now. Embarrassing way to end the season. I’m out on Pettine. His inability to do anything to slow the run game down yesterday did it for me. I’m convinced they will never be a good defense running anything other than a 43

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And exactly why should his leadership not be in question? Constantly pointing your finger at your teammates isn't leadership. Leadership has never been his strong point. He constantly looks like he would rather be somewhere else. When the team is doing poorly he's usually on the bench by himself moping these days.
Again when has he pointed fingers at his teammates? When has he thrown a teammate under the bus? I'm getting really tired of asking this same question and no one has yet to answer this question. When has he done such a thing? And so what he sits by himself at times? Big whoop! God it's like we try and find every single little thing to nitpick.

Oh and for the record there is a difference between holding a person accountable and pointing fingers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And exactly why should his leadership not be in question? Constantly pointing your finger at your teammates isn't leadership. Leadership has never been his strong point.
I look at it this way: Rodgers is a leader. Is he the best leader in the NFL, is he an ideal leader? Of course not. Does he have room for improvement? Sure he does, but I don't expect that to happen. As some posters have said, he is who is and he isn't going to change.

Honestly, it doesn't matter much to me. Rodgers could have been the best rah rah leader in the world and the 49ers still would have crushed us yesterday. I like Rodgers, but I don't view him as some infallible god, like some fans. He's a human, he has pros and cons, like all humans. He shouldn't be viewed through rose colored (or green and gold) glasses). As a quarterback, his strengths outweigh his weaknesses, by a wide margin. That's why he'll be a Hall of Famer. But people hold him to some ideal standard because people crowned him the GOAT early on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well the "good and bad news" for 2020. The Packers will get to see how much progress they will have made in the off season, we have to go back out to Santa Clara at some point (at least once) to play the 49'ers again.

This is may start to feel like the 90 Cowboys and Ground Hog Day. :sick::eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts