Nfcg duds and studs

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it this way: Rodgers is a leader. Is he the best leader in the NFL, is he an ideal leader? Of course not. Does he have room for improvement? Sure he does, but I don't expect that to happen. As some posters have said, he is who is and he isn't going to change.

Honestly, it doesn't matter much to me. Rodgers could have been the best rah rah leader in the world and the 49ers still would have crushed us yesterday. I like Rodgers, but I don't view him as some infallible god, like some fans. He's a human, he has pros and cons, like all humans. He shouldn't be viewed through rose colored (or green and gold) glasses). As a quarterback, his strengths outweigh his weaknesses, by a wide margin. That's why he'll be a Hall of Famer. But people hold him to some ideal standard because people crowned him the GOAT early on.
And that is exactly why I don't understand why people bring up his leadership into question, especially when we are winning. I'd understand if his leadership style was preventing us from winning football games, but that's clearly not the case. As for the previous two years, the dude was injured, now that he's healthy, we're once again made it back to the NFC Championship. Not bad if you ask me. It feels like people are just nitpicking. The dude isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but his pros outweighs his cons.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have to go back out to Santa Clara at some point (at least once) to play the 49'ers again.
Pfft. Don't even bother. Just send the B team out there and give everybody else the week off. It'd be like another bye week.

I've heard that we'll struggle next year because we'll play a first place schedule. But we ended up playing several of the division winners anyway this year.

And that is exactly why I don't understand why people bring up his leadership into question, especially when we are winning. I'd understand if his leadership style was preventing us from winning football games, but that's clearly not the case.
It seems like people either want to revere him as a god who can do no wrong, or blame him as a loser for all our woes. There's no in between. The truth usually lies in the middle.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pfft. Don't even bother. Just send the B team out there and give everybody else the week off. It'd be like another bye week.

I've heard that we'll struggle next year because we'll play a first place schedule. But we ended up playing several of the division winners anyway this year.

It seems like people either want to revere him as a god who can do no wrong, or blame him as a loser for all our woes. There's no in between. The truth usually lies in the middle.

Well said.

Reaction score
I liked what GB did this season overall. Really Good season, not great..but good.

There’s some adjustments that we need in this Offensive playbook IMO. I like the balance, but the passing game needs to take precedent just a little more. IMO that can’t happen until we invest heavily in this Offense and some legit playmakers. We also need to be thinking about some future O-Line prospects to keep #12 upright and be able to win in the trenches. We could use another Elgton or a dual purpose O lineman.

I see it taking 2 years to have all the pieces in place, but with a slightly more sound level of talent in 2020. We need a formidable pass catching TE and another upper echelon WR.

I can see us right back at 12-4 or 13-3 next year but with a more robust depth chart and better starting talent.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The past two clashes with the 49ers once again exposed a couple of important points about draft position. For one thing, having five 1st round draft picks within their front seven on D is highly advantageous and it showed with the 49ers. Compare that to the Packers front seven on D. No wonder they steamrolled the Packers run defense. Theoretically, a team needs to suck more often to have a shot at the blue-chippers. Plus, a team has to hit on their other day one and two picks for good measure.

And we've had a few misses the past few years on some defensive picks:

Josh Jackson
Oren Burks
Josh Jones
M. Adams
Vince Biegel
Damarious Randall (did we not have him play his natural position?)
Quinton Rollins
Jake Ryan
Ha Ha (he should have been a fixture in our secondary for years)
Nick Perry
Jerel Worthy
Casey Hayward

You get the picture. This is damning evidence of poor defensive drafting since 2012 and why Gute and company still have a lot of work to do to fix this mess.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better teams don't always win. All I want is for us to be competitive, put up a scrap, just hang in there slugging it out. Not roll over without a fight...which is what we did all 3 games in California.

I get why we lost twice to SF. They are the better team than us presently. But we had no business losing to the Chargers. :tdown:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to WRs, the Packers went from limousines to pork and beans in just a few seasons. Mix that with a few questionable decisions at TE and there you have it. Mediocrity on steroids seems paradoxical but that strangely could describe the current batch of WRs.
talk about mixed metaphors lol.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got bored reading this thread so skipped a few pages, a lot because this thread is about the game rather than the season as a whole, and it got a bit too sidetracked

I think the whole team from HC to lowest active player have to take their fair share of dudliness, after the regular season game we all knew that this was going to be a very tough game and that we needed to come out with the right mentality and being ready to play. I still expected the niners to win, but i expected us to at least compete and keep it fairly close and we all got disapointed.

Studs, none really(as the TEAM didn't do enough), though there were some moments in the game. Davante and AJ are the closest to studs imo.

I was tearing out what hair i have left as we got gashed time after time by their run game, we learned nothing from the reg season. yes, we may not have the best for stopping this but that is where coaching and scheming comes into play

and to top off blue monday, i got told i was losing my job

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again when has he pointed fingers at his teammates?

He LITERALLY does this more often than not when he throws a bad pass to one of his receivers. He throws a pass 2 yards behind or at his feet and when it isn't caught, the first thing he does is raises his hands and glares a the guy he was throwing to, and he does it with Adams too from time to time. Usually, he then thinks about it and realizes it was (at least partly) his fault. But his instinct is to find someone to blame. He's very reluctant to take blame.

When has he thrown a teammate under the bus?

That's not what I said. Though a case could be made after the Chargers game.

I'm getting really tired of asking this same question and no one has yet to answer this question. When has he done such a thing? And so what he sits by himself at times? Big whoop! God it's like we try and find every single little thing to nitpick.

Oh and for the record there is a difference between holding a person accountable and pointing fingers.

It's pointless continuing with this nonsense a long as you have your green and gold glasses permanently affixed to your face. His blaming and trust problems are so blatant and regular the only explanation for you not seeing it is because you don't want to see it. Every single time someone brings up an issue with him (Him?) you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and go "La la la la la la!"

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He LITERALLY does this more often than not when he throws a bad pass to one of his receivers. He throws a pass 2 yards behind or at his feet and when it isn't caught, the first thing he does is raises his hands and glares a the guy he was throwing to, and he does it with Adams too from time to time. Usually, he then thinks about it and realizes it was (at least partly) his fault. But his instinct is to find someone to blame. He's very reluctant to take blame.
How exactly is he finger pointing exactly? Because an individual ran a wrong route? So how exactly do you know he's glaring or motioning at the guy exactly? How do you know it's not at the refs? This sounds extremely hyperbolic, to be quite honest. Matter of fact this is the same rhetoric that Skip Bayless used one time in regards to Rodgers which I thought was bs. The only time I recall Rodgers doing this during the end of the Atlanta game with Adams, simply because Skip and Shannon made a big fuss over it, in which Davante later admitted he ran the wrong route. I don't ever recall Rodgers flailing his arms up and glaring at a receiver when he threw a bad ball. I know he'll do that when he feels there should be a flag, or he will shoot his head up because he knows he made a bad throw or pass was dropped. But let's assume what you say is true, so let me get this straight, we've seen greats like Peyton, Brady, and hell even Brees show frustration to players that run the wrong route and whatnot, but it's a problem when it's Rodgers?

Forgive me if I feel like you're reaching with this point. I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between finger pointing and informing a teammate of running a wrong route, and since we really don't know what's going on down on the field we're making assumptions. Weird how no one has made a complaint about this.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But let's assume what you say is true, so let me get this straight, we've seen greats like Peyton, Brady, and hell even Brees show frustration to players that run the wrong route and whatnot, but it's a problem when it's Rodgers?

funny when you see Brady/Brees/Manning do that its "demanding excellence and showing leadership, but if Rodgers does that it turns into a temper tantrum or giving blame . I'm not surprised though, they seem to beg for a scandal with him for whatever reason, then fabricate something to try and dirty his name. What does surprise me is that this fan forum does it to him too :confused:

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Rodgers is he is in the news for all the wrong reasons. We don't care how in love you are! We don't care about your dysfunctional family! We don't care about your coat tail riding, no talent brother! Granted, most of that crap is out of his control. Social media is a plague that can be constructive but it is mostly used to be destructive. All I see lately are stories about his $1M house, his unmatched love for Danica and stuff that has nothing to do with football. Early on, all we heard was that he was pissed off about his draft position. Then throw in the Favre crap, the booing of so-called fans for no reason except to hate. We Packer fans are very lucky that fiasco didn't ruin Rodgers in the first place. It looks like now that maybe it did. Can we blame him for being aloof and withdrawn? I have *****ed about his body language for a while now but I am beginning to understand why he is the way he is. He is obviously more fragile than we thought and I think he deals with it by hiding his emotions. Hence the stoic behavior on the field and on the side line. Please remit $200 for this psychiatric evaluation.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was also 5 years ago, before you started hearing about Rodger's so-called "trust" issues. But how many receivers has he given up on since then? Even the ones he praises he rarely throws at. You can blame the receivers all day long, but it gets harder and harder to give everything you have when you know it's unlikely he's going to throw the ball your way even when you're open.

It used to be Green Bay was a place where young receivers came to flourish. But it looks more and more like where they go to die on the vine. I know if I were a rookie WR, at this point I would not want to play with Rodgers.

I think that is an over-reaching claim. Things go in motion very fast and i'm sure he executes the play accordingly and then, if forced, has to find alternative receivers. I'm sure he has his favorite receivers but I don't think he will be partial to one receiver because of personal issues and tank a play.

Reaction score
It's pointless continuing with this nonsense a long as you have your green and gold glasses permanently affixed to your face. His blaming and trust problems are so blatant and regular the only explanation for you not seeing it is because you don't want to see it. Every single time someone brings up an issue with him (Him?) you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and go "La la la la la la!"
His very occasional pointing fingers is absolutely and totally part of his job. If he didn’t do that he’s not a true manager IMO. Sometimes Managers hurt people’s feelings (correction, feelings are going to get hurt)
If you hire someone to manage your business you’d better let them do their job and you better support them as long as you get results. If he finishes 6-10 every year I’d be with you right up his butt.

Managers aren’t there for some sort of supplication of fanship. His job is to win games and he doesn’t need to be “liked” to get that done. Aaron Rodgers manages that game and can scream at or yell at or point all he wants. He’s earned that by his stripes.
The good news is this. We don’t have to like it or even be a fan for that matter. This is like
Baskin-Robbins... we have 31 other options.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

funny when you see Brady/Brees/Manning do that its "demanding excellence and showing leadership, but if Rodgers does that it turns into a temper tantrum or giving blame . I'm not surprised though, they seem to beg for a scandal with him for whatever reason, then fabricate something to try and dirty his name. What does surprise me is that this fan forum does it to him too :confused:
Yeah. Add Mahomes to the list. In this last game we saw him mouth "keep running" with a less than friendly expression directed at Hill after Hill cut a go route short. It's kinda funny...that's exactly the phrase and expression Rodgers directed at MVS a couple of times this season before the benching. Maybe Mahomes has been studying Rodgers tape. ;)

There's the old addage that if the only tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. In this case, if the only tool is an axe it will be ground. If the axe must be ground after this game it should be directed at ball security though frankly I don't see how that would have made enough of a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if Mostert topped Kaepernick's 170 yards (or whatever the exact number was) before contact in the 2012 season playoff game. Maybe Mostert + Samuel topped that number. A self-driving truck with defective software could have found those holes.

I wonder when was the last time a team threw only 1 pass per 4.625 points scored. 1970s?

The Packers have certainly found some unique ways to lose playoff games since 2010.

Anyway, this team went farther that I expected, with 2020 being their prime window. 2 months to free agency, 3 months to the draft. Onward and upward.
Demovsky reported that Mostert gained 142 yards before contact. Ooph.

I'm required to provide a link even if that blog post will soon scroll away into oblivion:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

This!!!

It isn't a sin to admit when one team is better than you. Did anyone here really believe we were going to win unless we were perfect and they screwed up?
I don't know about "perfectly", but that's pretty close to the gist. My thought was Packers +2 on turnovers would have gotten the game to even.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demovsky reported that Mostert gained 142 yards before contact. Oof.

I'm required to provide a link even if that blog post will soon scroll away into oblivion:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers
ouch, that's a good game worth of rushing right there, and that was before anybody touched him. hardly surprising though, i mean those lanes were as wide as rooms.

and yeah, I figured we had to play clean on offense and get a turnover and add another or have a big special teams play. So much for that plan, I don't think we did any of it LOL

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How exactly is he finger pointing exactly? Because an individual ran a wrong route? So how exactly do you know he's glaring or motioning at the guy exactly?

Because I WATCH the games. ALL of them. Here you go blaming everyone but Rodgers again. When a guy is OPEN and the ball is badly thrown, it's not the receiver's fault.

Peyton, Brady, and hell even Brees show frustration to players that run the wrong route and whatnot, but it's a problem when it's Rodgers?

Stay on topic. We're not talking about bad routes. We're talking about bad THROWS to open receivers.

If he only did it when a guy ran a different route than he was expecting that would be one thing, but that's not the case. He does it nearly every time. Rodgers throws a bad pass? First instinct is to look around for someone else to blame. That's not leadership.

So don't take this personally but I'm going to put you on ignore for a few days to make sure this ends. There's just no point in discussing Rodgers's weaknesses with someone who refuses to believe he has any. I'll unignore you in a few days. It's more for me that anything about you. Until then, for Pete's sake, open your eyes, friend.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is an over-reaching claim. Things go in motion very fast and i'm sure he executes the play accordingly and then, if forced, has to find alternative receivers. I'm sure he has his favorite receivers but I don't think he will be partial to one receiver because of personal issues and tank a play.

There were a lot of plays this year where he had guys like Kumerow, MVS, and even Graham open in the flat or over the middle for modest gains but instead he threw incomplete at a much more tightly covered Adams looking for a bigger play or simply took a sack because he missed his window to throw to them from looking downfield too much. The offense ran like clockwork when Adams was hurt because he had no choice but to distribute the ball better. It was particularly bad in the Chargers game. Someone on Twitter or Reddit or wherever put together a mashup of about 4 plays against the Chargers where other guys were open for what would have been first downs and he either didn't see them because of tunnel vision or simply refused to throw to them. Go back and watch all the second half games. Don't watch Rodgers or Adams. Watch Lazard, Kumerow, Graham and MVS. I think you'll find that they got open a lot more than their stat lines would lead you to believe.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably have threads on specific plays all year long. Not going to go back and rehash. The earlier in the year the more there were. I wonder why? Specifically the past 2 weeks, what did you see? specifically. I need a play to go look at, not generalities i've often found great bias in.

Members online

Latest posts