NFCCG: Rodgers vs. Brady @ Lambeau Field

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Of course.

Good player, but that doesn't concern me too much. Vea fractured his ankle in Oct., let's hope if he plays he is out of shape and worried about that ankle.

Bucs WR Antonio Brown is undergoing an MRI on his knee today.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think that Pettine will be able to wreck Brady or their offense.

But I don’t believe it will matter as I fully expect LaFleur and Rodgers to give Bowles a swirly, a wedgy, and to stuff him in his locker.
Pettine cannot play a soft zone against Brady, who will find openings and get rid of the ball quickly. Trying to get pressure on the edge won't work either because Brady will get rid of the ball quickly before the Smiths or Gary get home. So, pressure must come up the middle with Kenny et al.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do tend to think that that first game was more of a fluke than a real assessment of how these teams matchup.

Let's look at personnel and our defense in particular. If I had to pick one guy who is indispensable to our defense, one guy we cannot go without it's a healthy Kenny Clark. We could lose Z, and have solid edge production from Gary and Preston. We could lose Jaire and we could make do with King Sullivan and a more conservative application of Amos and Savage, more shading over the top on routes and less roaming. We could lose either

Clark's push and disruption in the middle of the defense makes everyone else more effective both against the run and pass. His return to health is a big reason as to why our defense is giving up on 18 ppg over the last 7 games. Yes he played against Tampa but was severely limited with a nagging groin injury. For his first 5 games of the year Clark only played more than 63% of the snaps only once and did not register a single QB hit, sack or tackle for loss in those 5 games. Since playing 89% of the snaps against Jac he's produced 3.5 sacks, 8 qb hits and 4 tffls. That folks is pro bowl level production from an interior lineman.

Thats the sort of interior line play that makes everyone else on the defense better, his inside push creates better angles for our edge rushers and tends to screw with a quarterbacks passing reads.

Since Clarke started showing up Gary has registered 5 of his 6.5 sacks, Preston logged 3.5 of his 4 sacks on the year since Clarke returned to an impact level of play.

We will have a much better defensive unit, when we play the Buccs this Sunday.
I agree, like I said before. Get pressure up the middle Brady is not very good at rolling out of the pocket. Kenny could be a difference maker.

Reaction score
You can bet Brady and Co. will be a handful Sunday, but here's a match up the packers wouldn't win..........The Kansas City Chief in the Super Bowl even without Patrick Mahomes II.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pettine cannot play a soft zone against Brady, who will find openings and get rid of the ball quickly. Trying to get pressure on the edge won't work either because Brady will get rid of the ball quickly before the Smiths or Gary get home. So, pressure must come up the middle with Kenny et al.

Most likely, Pettine is going to call coverages that invite Brady to take short gains and force him to get down the field in 10 plays instead of 3. The idea there, I believe, it that 10 plays gives your individual players more chances to make big plays (sacks, interceptions, fumbles), and as the offense presumably wracks up points, it will force the Bucs to become impatient.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken..in the first game..Bakh went out..so did Z Smith, Jaire,King, Davante, and Taylor? Kirksey and Martin did not play. Burks ans Summers were the ilbs..and Josh Jackson had to play corner. Turner played rt and Wagner lt after Bakh went out?
We will be pretty close to full strength for this one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You can bet Brady and Co. will be a handful Sunday, but here's a match up the packers wouldn't win..........The Kansas City Chief in the Super Bowl even without Patrick Mahomes II.

You don't think that the Packers would beat the Chiefs, without Mahomes, in the Super Bowl???

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I coached high school basketball for a time. This isn't a perfect analogy, but one year I had a loaded team and my biggest challenge was dealing with parents and not looking like I was being unfair to the other team. We had one team on our regular season schedule that could come close to staying with us. In their gym, big fired up crowd, one ref for the game since the other one was a no-show, shot like 15% from the floor, turnovers like crazy and was on the losing end of every bad call - we lost by 1. When we met in our house later in the year, I stepped on the gas from start to finish and we won by 40, tripling their score. Parents of my second stringers were pissed. Their crowd was pissed. The opposing coach told me after the game, "I knew you were going to do that". That's what Arians will be saying to LaFleur.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely, Pettine is going to call coverages that invite Brady to take short gains and force him to get down the field in 10 plays instead of 3. The idea there, I believe, it that 10 plays gives your individual players more chances to make big plays (sacks, interceptions, fumbles), and as the offense presumably wracks up points, it will force the Bucs to become impatient.
The problem with that is, Brady is patient and really really good at the short passing game. I hope MLF has a talk with Pettine about pressuring Brady.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It also wears out your defense. So I have no idea what his logic is for that. Kick *** and get off the field in 3 plays. Let Aaron make the long drives and score alot of points.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I coached high school basketball for a time. This isn't a perfect analogy, but one year I had a loaded team and my biggest challenge was dealing with parents and not looking like I was being unfair to the other team. We had one team on our regular season schedule that could come close to staying with us. In their gym, big fired up crowd, one ref for the game since the other one was a no-show, shot like 15% from the floor, turnovers like crazy and was on the losing end of every bad call - we lost by 1. When we met in our house later in the year, I stepped on the gas from start to finish and we won by 40, tripling their score. Parents of my second stringers were pissed. Their crowd was pissed. The opposing coach told me after the game, "I knew you were going to do that". That's what Arians will be saying to LaFleur.

The first TB game spiraled after Rodgers handed the Bucs 14 points in the space of 2 minutes.

Rodgers threw five interceptions on the season, and two of them came in that game, back to back.

So one has to believe one of two things:

1) That was a fluke.

or

2) The Bucs are uniquely suited to turn Rodgers over in a way no one else is.

Given that Bowles is not running some incredibly unique defense, and that they finished with 15 picks total (which is good, but not amazing), I'm going with door #1.

The Bucs just won the TO battle by +4 and only won by 10 points. Let's see what happens when the QB isn't giving them the ball on every other drive.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To set the record straight, in our first meeting with the Buccaneers we did not get stomped from start to finish. The Packers were dominating all phases of the game:

GB 1st Drive: FG - 10plays - 51yds passing / 2yds rushing
TB 1st Drive: Punt - 3 plays - 6yds passing / 3yds rushing
GB 2nd Drive: TD - 11plays - 51yds passing / 29yds rushing
TB 2nd Drive: Punt - 7 plays - 19yds passing / 11yds rushing

GB 3rd Drive: INT -> TD

In Week 6, with the players the Packers had on the field, they owned Tampa Bay until the interception happened. Obviously the Buccaneers flipped the script and the outcome was very different, but too many people seem to be thinking that it was a one-sided game. It was one-sided in the Packers favor until the 2nd Quarter. After the INT it was one-sided in the Buccaneers favor.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They won in Kansas City under this exact scenario last season.

The Chiefs are a great team. They're not infallible by any stretch.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The problem with that is, Brady is patient and really really good at the short passing game. I hope MLF has a talk with Pettine about pressuring Brady.

I think it would be foolish to rush three, but I also think it would be foolish to blitz Brady a lot. He will beat the blitz. Rush four, keep the action in front of the defense, make them pick up small gains, and wait for your front to make plays.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a lot of people are trying to convince themselves this will be a walk in the park. I think we will win but I don't think it will be easy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It also wears out your defense. So I have no idea what his logic is for that. Kick *** and get off the field in 3 plays. Let Aaron make the long drives and score alot of points.

If it were only that easy.

His logic is that the worst thing the defense can do it allow explosive TD plays. If you make the offense earn it, force FG tries in the red zone, and make individual plays to force a few punts, that's a winning formula with this offense.

They do not have the personnel on any level to just man up with the Bucs and shut them down.

The way that Pettine is calling defense can be very frustrating to watch, but it can also be effective. Since 12/1, only one team has scored 20+ (the Lions with 24, after scoring 10 in garbage time).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a lot of people are trying to convince themselves this will be a walk in the park. I think we will win but I don't think it will be easy.

Yeah, I would guess that it's a one score victory, but I have total confidence in the offense to make that happen.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't stand Brady and I hope they knock him on his butt several times. Can't stand Gronk either. Neither one of them is going to be phased by the weather.

Yes, we played well against the #1 defense but Donald was hurt. TB doesn't have any significant injuries on their defense and their LB's are very good.

I just hope ML has a good game plan set up and that all phases hold up their end of the bargan.

The fans have to bring the noise like they did in the last game. Everyone has to play smart football.

There hasn’t been a defense that we’ve really struggled with outside of Tampa, and I think we can all admit that was pretty flukey. Prior to the two picks, the offense was rolling.

I’ll say this. We are much better than the first time we played the Bucs. We are healthier. We have all our receivers, Clark is healthy and playing well, Gary is healthy and playing well, the Smith brothers are playing well.

We have the best QB in the league, the best CB in the league, the best WR in the league, a great OL, arguably the top RB crew in the league, and a better than solid defense. This team, despite not having a great #2 WR, is a damn good team.

As fans, we should be excited about what we’re seeing. What GB is doing isn’t just “oh ho hum this is to be expected”, we’re watching an excellent team playing at close to their peak. Enjoy it!

CheckDown81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I did some numbers and looked over the box score from last night and I see some similarities from the NO game and week 6.

The Bucs win by turning you over. They did it in week 6, totally destroying the Packs confidence and they did it last night. All of The Saints turnovers resulted in touchdowns. Here’s the kicker, they only moved the ball 63 yards to get 21 points off those turnovers (3,40 and 20 yards respectively). That’s the game right there. Even if the Saints don’t turn the ball over and punt, they make the Bucs travel at least 80 yards to score. Oh and the other 9 points came from doing exactly that. The Bucs didn’t score a touchdown off a regular drive.

Taking care of the ball will be vitally important. I know Brady is used to the cold but at 43, I’m pretty sure he feels it a little more than when he was 25. Pressure him I’m with 4, make him drive the ball the length of the field and make him earn the points.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There hasn’t been a defense that we’ve really struggled with outside of Tampa, and I think we can all admit that was pretty flukey. Prior to the two picks, the offense was rolling.

I’ll say this. We are much better than the first time we played the Bucs. We are healthier. We have all our receivers, Clark is healthy and playing well, Gary is healthy and playing well, the Smith brothers are playing well.

We have the best QB in the league, the best CB in the league, the best WR in the league, a great OL, arguably the top RB crew in the league, and a better than solid defense. This team, despite not having a great #2 WR, is a damn good team.

As fans, we should be excited about what we’re seeing. What GB is doing isn’t just “oh ho hum this is to be expected”, we’re watching an excellent team playing at close to their peak. Enjoy it!

Thank you. I needed that.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right about different players. The same applies to week #6. Kevin king was out with a quad so Josh Jackson played 100% of the snaps. Z. Smith and Gary were nursing ankle injuries and were both limited in snaps. Smith had his lowest snap count percentage of the year and Gary had his 2nd lowest. It was also Kenny Clark’s first game back off his injury. This D was banged up. Brady had his way with Jonathan Garvin, Raven Greene, Ty Summer and Josh Jackson. I think we’ve gotten healthy and improved significantly on that side of the ball.
Fred Garvin?:sneaky:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That d-bag Arians is playing mind games..so he is eligible to return..does not mean he will play or even be ready to play.
I hope this defense destroys that team..every time a call doesn't go his way he whines about it til the refs give in. They also were the most penalized team in the league until our game..yet somehow they had zero penalties in that game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts