Nfccg duds

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh absolutely. You cannot call that play there, and if you do, you gotta make sure the players know to keep the ball in front of them.

This bears repeating -- they had a timeout to plan and discuss this. This was not a miscommunication or spontaneous decision. They actually came out of a timeout with this play.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Ok, so moving past the refs, who were horrible...

Studs:
  • MVS: Great game for him. He has shown some ability to win in the intermediate levels of the field, and in close contact with defenders that we have not seen previously.
  • Alexander: His picks were not amazing plays, but he just gave up nothing. He is so stinking good.
  • Clark: He really came on down the stretch and was showing up big in this game.
  • Barnes: The rookie UDFA who also happens to be our best LB (lol) was gutting it out.
Duds:
  • Wagner: He just could not hang.
  • Jones: Those Bucs LB/DB's hit hard, but two fumbles like that cannot happen.
  • Red Zone Performance: Whether the receiver dropped the ball or Rodgers missed the open receiver, that had to be better.
  • Special Teams: Scott got off at least one nice punt that I recall, but the coverage units give up too much. Mennenga should go.
  • King: I am very sorry to be right about how bad he is in coverage. As I've said before, he's a completion almost any time the offense wants it.

Sub-Dud:
  • Pettine: His defense really showed up in the second half. Outside of the 8 yd touchdown off of Jones' fumble, they only gave up 3 points. But that touchdown before the half was one of a handful of plays that swung the game, and there is just no spin, excuse, or explanation for such a horrible call in that spot. Yes, King sucked. Because, frankly, King kind of sucks. But Pettine knows that better than anyone. So to put in a call with no safety help with 1 second left when they're on the 40... it's maybe the most baffling thing I've seen on a football field this season, and should probably be his job. I don't take pleasure in saying people should be fired, but then again Pettine has probably made around 5M dollars coaching football in Green Bay. He will be fine.
Can’t really disagree with any of this. Damn good summation.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm a little mystified by the assertions that LaFleur screwed up.

I wasn't seeing much out there where I really felt like the problem was the way the game was being called.

-Protection was a big problem, but not protection schemes-- just the tackles getting beat.

-Drops were an issue at times (Adams in the EZ; EQ on the 2pt), but that's obviously not on LaFleur.

-Rodgers missing guys cost them (Lazard open at the goal line on that 3rd down shot to Adams).

-The refs blew up two drives by just letting the Bucs hold Lazard on crossers. Crossers are man beaters. The whole point of calling them against a team like the Bucs is that they beat... man. But when the DB's are allow to just hold and tug, that goes away (hence why it's supposed to be a penalty). One such non-call resulted in a pick and the now infamous last second TD. The other resulted in a punt that was followed by a TB field goal.

-Jones putting the ball on the ground was a real problem, but not LaFleur's.

So help me out here. Why are we putting goat horns on Petals?

packers4lyfe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers made their mistakes, but all teams make mistakes every game.

The refs made the difference in this game, without a shadow of a doubt.

They let defensive holding go all afternoon. It led to an interception which became the last minute touchdown. It led to a punt after Lazard couldn't catch the conversion. It led to the field goal after Devin White spun Adams around.

You want to let them play like that? OK fine. Just as long as you call it the same both ways.

But then they called it on Green Bay in the most crucial moment, and essentially handed the game to the Bucs.

Winning in the NFL is hard. Winning when only the best teams are left is hardest. Doing it with an arm held behind your back is almost impossible.

Ending a season sucks unless it's with a SB win. But ending it because the officials beat you is unequivocally the worst.

Dude. To allow a 50 yard TD bomb with 8 seconds left before half is incomprehensible.

To get 3 gifted picks from TB that result in 6 points is very lame.

To blame the refs for the loss is ridiculous.

GB didnt do enough to win, period.

Just accept it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This bears repeating -- they had a timeout to plan and discuss this. This was not a miscommunication or spontaneous decision. They actually came out of a timeout with this play.

Before this game, I probably could not have imagined a single play that, completely on its own, would be worthy of termination for a coach. But that play completely surpassed my imagination.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not putting on a tinfoil hat on, but if you'd want to throw a game and make it look legit, I think calling it loose is exactly what you'd want to do. That way you can call whatever you want late when guys know they can get a little more handsy and simply throw your hands up and say, "hey, that's the rule!"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before this game, I probably could not have imagined a single play that, completely on its own, would be worthy of termination for a coach. But that play completely surpassed my imagination.

It blows 4th and 26 out of the water. In comparison, 4th and 26 was not a bad call, just horribly executed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dude. To allow a 50 yard TD bomb with 8 seconds left before half is incomprehensible.

To get 3 gifted picks from TB that result in 6 points is very lame.

To blame the refs for the loss is ridiculous.

GB didnt do enough to win, period.

Just accept it.

Green Bay didn't do enough to beat both the Bucs and the officials.

Tampa Bay didn't do enough to beat the Packers.

Tampa Bay plus the officiating did just enough to beat the Packers.

Sometimes the refs get blamed as a cop out. Sometimes they get blamed because they legitimately changed the outcome of the game. Today, they legitimately changed the outcome of the game. Their failure to call defensive holding all game gave at least 10 points to TB and took opportunities away from GB. Their sudden willingness to call it when Tampa was going to have to punt ended the game for GB.

There are always people who say "reffing aside, they didn't play well enough to win." Well neither did the Bucs. But they got help.

I accept what I see.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not putting on a tinfoil hat on, but if you'd want to throw a game and make it look legit, I think calling it loose is exactly what you'd want to do. That way you can call whatever you want late when guys know they can get a little more handsy and simply throw your hands up and say, "hey, that's the rule!"

I like when officials call loose games. But if you're going to do it, you have to have the balls to stick to it when the games drawing to a close.

They changed the strike zone at the end-- just when the Packers were about to get some of the benefit that the Bucs had been getting all afternoon.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a situation where you HAVE to keep them out of the endzone you call man with nothing deep. IDIOT call, and should be out of the league for that alone.

He has no problem playing prevent defense in situations he shouldn't...but when he should he doesn't. Speechless.
The bucs needed about 7 yards on quick out to get themselves a field goal and we did not want to give that up either. I have said for quite awhile that King should not be covering short/speedy receivers. But there it was. And your right, if you are finally going to tell King to cover tight; you better have help deep. Kind of looked like Redmond choose the wrong way to go also. Really pitiful.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little mystified by the assertions that LaFleur screwed up.

I wasn't seeing much out there where I really felt like the problem was the way the game was being called.

-Protection was a big problem, but not protection schemes-- just the tackles getting beat.

-Drops were an issue at times (Adams in the EZ; EQ on the 2pt), but that's obviously not on LaFleur.

-Rodgers missing guys cost them (Lazard open at the goal line on that 3rd down shot to Adams).

-The refs blew up two drives by just letting the Bucs hold Lazard on crossers. Crossers are man beaters. The whole point of calling them against a team like the Bucs is that they beat... man. But when the DB's are allow to just hold and tug, that goes away (hence why it's supposed to be a penalty). One such non-call resulted in a pick and the now infamous last second TD. The other resulted in a punt that was followed by a TB field goal.

-Jones putting the ball on the ground was a real problem, but not LaFleur's.

So help me out here. Why are we putting goat horns on Petals?
I think it is the going for two when there was no reason and we are lousy at it. And not going for the TD pass. We were not runniing very well so I did not mind going away from that. Probably should have helped out the tackles. For me, just put Turner on the right side and move Jenkins to L tackle. Turner is a different player on the right. And Wagner was no super star.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bucs needed about 7 yards on quick out to get themselves a field goal and we did not want to give that up either. I have said for quite awhile that King should not be covering short/speedy receivers. But there it was. And your right, if you are finally going to tell King to cover tight; you better have help deep. Kind of looked like Redmond choose the wrong way to go also. Really pitiful.

Well, that's exactly why you DON'T call Cover 1 there. One wrong step to either side and the safety isn't going to recover in time to help over the top.

At the LEAST they needed to split the field with 2 deep safeties which would have been infinitely better than Cover 1. The safety on that side of the field is likely going to get over to get in front of Miller in time. But really you have no reason to not play at least 3 deep or even quarters.

Inexplicably they went with Cover 1 which literally put a safety in the only part of the field that they did not actually need to cover.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Kevin King. Kevin King. Kevin King... Kevin King..... Kevin King!!!

Oh here we go with our annual "let`s blame one player for all our woes". Three interceptions and we did nothing with them. We`ve talked all week about how it was in our house, how the weather was going to work in our favour....blah, blah, blah

We got stuffed ! and the team lost.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We can be favored by 2 touchdowns in next years NFCCG and I'll still fully believe we'll find a way to choke until we actually reach a Super Bowl. It's become synonymous with Packer football and Wisconsin sports in general. I let myself believe today that this was our turn -- that we would finally get it done and none of the past mattered. I truly believed we would win.

I won't believe again. They let us down -- again.

Santa Claus and the tooth fairy aren`t real either. Sorry mate.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did that same type of play happen to the raiders this year?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to be the only one thinking that we were actually the better team last night. but at the end of the day WE beat ourselves, which we have had a habit of doing at times, Being Scottish I'm used to this with our national football team.

I'm not going to give Jones too much **** for his drops as one was punched out and the other was a big shoulder hit, but he needed to do better with the first IMO.

giving up that TD at the end of the half is unforgivable, both in scheme and kings F up

didn't understand going for the 2 pt conversion. but those saying we are garbage on them are wrong, we were 2/3 on them for the season.

should have been using dillon earlier in the game, I think the power run might have worked better and tired out the TB D for jones later in the game.

the O-line had one of their worst games and allowed far too much pressure on AR, whereas our D didn't get enough pressure on Brady, so we learned nothing from week 6

I'm not one that buys into AR's DA-vision wholey, but those three plays in a row he had tunnel vision and Laz was open on one of them with a high probability of it ending in a TD.

AR made a few mistakes last night which were uncharacteristic, and certainly didn't help. I was shouting at him to run on that third down, he may not have made it, but would have made a shorter 4th to go for it rather than the FG we settled for.

Overall just so very disappointed as we were good enough to win last night

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again, you want to know why we lost?
Wagner/Turner were beaten like rented mules all game long
Aaron Jones
Kevin King

some young depth guys had ups and downs, but those 4 put us in position to lose. I thought everyone else played pretty well or at least as good as I can expect them to.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Williams of the Jets got fired the next day for pretty much the same thing .

Bake51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody blaming the refs are lazy. The refs were allowing both sides to play and both sides got away with a lot. The pass interference penalty should have been a holding calla nd not a PI but it was an easy call.

Packers won the turnover battle and time of possession and didn't take advantage.

Stop blaming the refs.

Members online

Latest posts