Nfccg duds

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can figured is Pettine has compromising photos of sunshine and he's obligated to take up for Pettine's obvious horseshit effort to be competitive.

I'm still flabbergasted by the call. I don't think Pettine will find another job as DC for the rest of his career. I think this was it.

I just....can't. It's almost as if he were trying to throw the game. Any idiot with a controller playing Madden would know not to play Cover 1 in that situation.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Any idiot with a controller playing Madden would know not to play Cover 1 in that situation.
You know...I honestly thought why would Pettine do that? Baffling. Makes zero sense.

Right below Gregg Williams IMO.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted by the call. I don't think Pettine will find another job as DC for the rest of his career. I think this was it.

I just....can't. It's almost as if he were trying to throw the game. Any idiot with a controller playing Madden would know not to play Cover 1 in that situation.

It looked more like a Zero...where was the safety?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redmond was acting as the single high safety. And yes I agree. Why what you're detailing wasn't the call will forever flabbergast me.

What is even more mind blowing is that THE MAN IS NOTORIOUS FOR PLAYING CONSERVATIVE DEEP ZONES AND WE LITERALLY DID NOT HAVE ONE PLAY THIS SEASON THAT WAS A MORE OBVIOUS SITUATION FOR A CONSERVATIVE DEEP ZONE.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What is even more mind blowing is that THE MAN IS NOTORIOUS FOR PLAYING CONSERVATIVE DEEP ZONES AND WE LITERALLY DID NOT HAVE ONE PLAY THIS SEASON THAT WAS A MORE OBVIOUS SITUATION FOR A CONSERVATIVE DEEP ZONE.

I feel like even Mike Pettine must be wondering what Mike Pettine was thinking.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This point cannot be emphasized enough.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can nitpick and blame whomever but to me this game was essentially lost on two plays.

The inexcusable touchdown before the half, and then the Jones fumble to open the 2nd half. You can't hand the opposing team 14 points and expect to win. We put ourselves into a massive hole and still had a good chance to win but didn't capitalize.

Really disappointed with MLF. Dude crapped his pants out there

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We can nitpick and blame whomever but to me this game was essentially lost on two plays.

The inexcusable touchdown before the half, and then the Jones fumble to open the 2nd half. You can't hand the opposing team 14 points and expect to win. We put ourselves into a massive hole and still had a good chance to win but didn't capitalize.

Really disappointed with MLF. Dude crapped his pants out there
These are absolutely the two plays that ultimately made the biggest difference.

Yet, still and all, the Packers had a chance at the end and Lafleur took the ball out of Rodgers' hands and put it into a defense he had no business trusting. That is egregious on so many levels.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest dud was Rodgers. Despite a few of those key plays not being his fault, he needed to play a flawless game and he didn't. Unfortunately this game will end the conversation for GOAT. Brady gets to come into the NFC for ONE season and make the SB. Goodnight.
A flawless game?! Are you serious?! Sounds like a thing a TB fan would say. Kicking it and hoping a defense that wasn't getting stops all game was a very DUD and foolish thing to bet on.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it how did I forget Will Redmond as a super dud?

Man, maybe it's just the overall frustration of losing this one getting to me, but .... man in hindsight that dropped interception seems even worse than Hyde or Bostick's plays.

With Hyde, that ball did have some mustard on it when he tried to jump up and snare it, and in ice cold conditions that's not as easy as it seems to catch. Even Bostick, yeah he screwed up, but that ball was wet on an onside kick, and who knows, it's even possible somebody else on the team could have lost it trying to catch it.

This one though.... man you do not have an easier shot at one than that. A floater and just no excuse for dropping it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost wanting to say there was a single high, but can't be sure without rewatching.

Redmond (25) was the single high. Savage was around the LOS (robber).

Both outside receivers ran 9’s and had single coverage.

Inconceivably stupid call from Pettine, and stupid play from King. No matter what, in that situation, you cannot let the WR get behind you. Let him catch it before the goal line and tackle him, but do not let him get behind you. Just bad all the way around.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are absolutely the two plays that ultimately made the biggest difference.

Yet, still and all, the Packers had a chance at the end and Lafleur took the ball out of Rodgers' hands and put it into a defense he had no business trusting. That is egregious on so many levels.

What was egregious was getting the ball after turnovers and not getting points out of them due to poor play calling, poor reffing, and poor play.

Once again, LaFleur and Rodgers gave up on the run game too soon.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to overanalyze it, but it feels like the younger generation of coaches (McVay, Lafleur, Stefanski) tend to be great regular season preparation coaches, and tend to crap their pants and get outcoached by veteran coaches like Reid, Arians, and Belichick when the stakes get highest.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was egregious was getting the ball after turnovers and not getting points out of them due to poor play calling, poor reffing, and poor play.

Once again, LaFleur and Rodgers gave up on the run game too soon.

Rodgers is calling the plays now?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin King had one of the worst games I've ever seen from an NFL player. He lost himself millions

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Redmond (25) was the single high. Savage was around the LOS (robber).

Both outside receivers ran 9’s and had single coverage.

Inconceivably stupid call from Pettine, and stupid play from King. No matter what, in that situation, you cannot let the WR get behind you. Let him catch it before the goal line and tackle him, but do not let him get behind you. Just bad all the way around.
So would you agree with my assessment that Pettine is most to blame on that play for not utilizing his personnel, and understanding the situation, better?
I don't want to overanalyze it, but it feels like the younger generation of coaches (McVay, Lafleur, Stefanski) tend to be great regular season preparation coaches, and tend to crap their pants and get outcoached by veteran coaches like Reid, Arians, and Belichick when the stakes get highest.
With no obvious way of substantiating this, it sure appears this way on the surface.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rodgers is calling the plays now?

Nearly every call that comes in can be checked into or out of a run by the QB.

Also, the Packers run a lot of RPO, which is obviously a run play whenever the QB decides it's a run play.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn it how did I forget Will Redmond as a super dud?

Man, maybe it's just the overall frustration of losing this one getting to me, but .... man in hindsight that dropped interception seems even worse than Hyde or Bostick's plays.

With Hyde, that ball did have some mustard on it when he tried to jump up and snare it, and in ice cold conditions that's not as easy as it seems to catch. Even Bostick, yeah he screwed up, but that ball was wet on an onside kick, and who knows, it's even possible somebody else on the team could have lost it trying to catch it.

This one though.... man you do not have an easier shot at one than that. A floater and just no excuse for dropping it.
What play was this? Some how i missed it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok, so moving past the refs, who were horrible...

Studs:
  • MVS: Great game for him. He has shown some ability to win in the intermediate levels of the field, and in close contact with defenders that we have not seen previously.
  • Alexander: His picks were not amazing plays, but he just gave up nothing. He is so stinking good.
  • Clark: He really came on down the stretch and was showing up big in this game.
  • Barnes: The rookie UDFA who also happens to be our best LB (lol) was gutting it out.
Duds:
  • Wagner: He just could not hang.
  • Jones: Those Bucs LB/DB's hit hard, but two fumbles like that cannot happen.
  • Red Zone Performance: Whether the receiver dropped the ball or Rodgers missed the open receiver, that had to be better.
  • Special Teams: Scott got off at least one nice punt that I recall, but the coverage units give up too much. Mennenga should go.
  • King: I am very sorry to be right about how bad he is in coverage. As I've said before, he's a completion almost any time the offense wants it.

Sub-Dud:
  • Pettine: His defense really showed up in the second half. Outside of the 8 yd touchdown off of Jones' fumble, they only gave up 3 points. But that touchdown before the half was one of a handful of plays that swung the game, and there is just no spin, excuse, or explanation for such a horrible call in that spot. Yes, King sucked. Because, frankly, King kind of sucks. But Pettine knows that better than anyone. So to put in a call with no safety help with 1 second left when they're on the 40... it's maybe the most baffling thing I've seen on a football field this season, and should probably be his job. I don't take pleasure in saying people should be fired, but then again Pettine has probably made around 5M dollars coaching football in Green Bay. He will be fine.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So would you agree with my assessment that Pettine is most to blame on that play for not utilizing his personnel, and understanding the situation, better?

Oh absolutely. You cannot call that play there, and if you do, you gotta make sure the players know to keep the ball in front of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts