New offensive coordinator incoming?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not trying to make excuses for Hundley but he was basically iced his entire second year and I think it’s not at all unnatural for a player to take a step back after a season ending injury.
If we put away our subjective opinions and let the facts be the facts. The playing time he got was mostly against very good Defenses and and overall good teams SOS wise.
Here’s who he lost to in points allowed in games he started: I won’t count him being injected into a game cold with a depleted OL and against the BEST defense in the league on the road.
Defenses ratings by points allowed reg season

Saints #10
Lions #21
Ravens #6 (shutout)
Steelers #7
Vikings #1 (shutout)
That’s an average of #9 ranked scoring Defenses

His Wins were against #9, #22, #31
That’s an average of #21 ranked in scoring D (coincidence?)

The point I’m making is we undeniably all have relatively high expectations and that’s to be expected after watching #12 compete week to week.

The QB position obviously doesn’t get perfected in 8 starts. Even with elite level QBs there are many more examples of how they had initial inconsistent play and then developed over a full year or three.

That being said 2018 needs to have a backup plan past Brett and it better not be Callahan.
That was also a big part of it, we weren't playing slouches in all of this

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As someone who has preached about wanting a Vet. backup QB, I can now say this, Hundley is more of a Veteran QB than a draft pick or Callahan. So at this point, I would say he is your option at #2, unless a better veteran is available for under $5M/season. I know someone is going to scream about spending that kind of money on a backup, but I think we all saw just how important that position can suddenly become.

Reaction score
As someone who has preached about wanting a Vet. backup QB, I can now say this, Hundley is more of a Veteran QB than a draft pick or Callahan. So at this point, I would say he is your option at #2, unless a better veteran is available for under $5M/season. I know someone is going to scream about spending that kind of money on a backup, but I think we all saw just how important that position can suddenly become.
True. Just look at the Seneca Wallace experiment. We need a contingency plan this year and it can’t be a rookie UFA. If nothing else it provides strict competition for Hundley to show up.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure Wallace is the place to go for comparison. A total of 24 pass attempts doesn't say much about what could have possibly happened. Not on the Seneca bandwagon, just saying there's not much history to evaluate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
College head coaches want to be NFL head coaches.

I wouldn't say all of them. Paul Chryst was mentioned above and I doubt he would leave Wisconsin for the Pro's.

I'm pretty sure a guy like Urban Meyer is pretty happy with the gig he has at Ohio State. A guy like Jim Harbaugh, although possibly on a slightly warm seat in Michigan, went from Pro to college just fine.

Some coaches just are better wired to coach at the college level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree but my thought on a veteran backup is someone who started some games and maybe won a few because he actually won the job and not because he was a starter by default due to injury. Not that everyone who fits that criteria would be a good choice. After all Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith won the starting jobs somewhere at one time. I know there are not many of them out there if any but if we do go with BH as our backup I will not really consider him to be a veteran backup. My choice would be Matt Moore and he played for a shade under 2 million last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree but my thought on a veteran backup is someone who started some games and maybe won a few because he actually won the job and not because he was a starter by default due to injury. Not that everyone who fits that criteria would be a good choice. After all Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith won the starting jobs somewhere at one time. I know there are not many of them out there if any but if we do go with BH as our backup I will not really consider him to be a veteran backup. My choice would be Matt Moore and he played for a shade under 2 million last year.

I think we agree. At this point I will take BH in 2018 over BH in 2017, experience definitely helps not just the player himself, but his teammates and coaches to know what he is capable of. But would someone with more experience than BH be a better option? I think it could be, with a guy like Moore and even Cutler. People may not be aware, but in 2016, we opened the season with both Hundley and Callahan as backups. Imagine what a sh*t how that would have been had AR gotten hurt.

Teams without a lot of playoff aspirations can get away with having inexperienced backups, but IMO, if you are a team with Super Bowl aspirations, your backups can become even more important than your starters. I hope the Packers start feeling the same way, at least at QB. Yes....I know.....you can't be 3 Pro Bowlers deep at every position, but you can have experienced vets and not guys who have little or no NFL experience.