New offensive coordinator incoming?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Really?????? REALLY??????

Was starting Hundley all those games not enough evidence?
This guy thinks the the other guy that had success 2 years ago in a preseason against lesser competition than Hundley and has been cut from 3 NFL rosters in a single season was the better option despite never actually seeing him run a real NFL offense LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've accepted the fact that the Packers misjudged Hundley's abilities and I've moved on. Short of scrambling to make a trade or hire a FA JAG QB, they pretty much had to hand the ball over to Hundley. It all made sense at the time. I just hope that the organization learned from it and will take whatever steps needed to try and get better at the #2 QB position. Not making excuses for TT and the Packers, but Hundley had most everyone fooled and.....when you have a guy like Rodgers back there, I think you sort of take the position for granted that all is well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy thinks the the other guy that had success 2 years ago in a preseason against lesser competition than Hundley and has been cut from 3 NFL rosters in a single season was the better option despite never actually seeing him run a real NFL offense LOL

If I had a dog in this fight, I might ask (1) could the other guy be any worse and (2) how are we going to get to see him run a real NFL offense without putting him in?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? Really?????? REALLY??????

Was starting Hundley all those games not enough evidence?
What if MM to Ted and said I need a vet qb? Or you are so stubborn to believe MM wouldn't do that?

I can tell you that MM tried his best with Brett.

Callahan was not ready to be a stater. The only thing I would agree to is Joe should have been given a few series..

So again.. What examples can you give that doesn't involve pure speculation?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see the Bears trying to pick off some Viking coaches! I'm not even sure Belichick could pull the Bears out of mediocrity!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/03/report-george-edwards-to-interview-with-bears/

Actually have met Edwards. He is a great guy. Shurmur is likely to get another shot too. Zimmer surrounded himself with really good football minds and if people weren't the right for the moved on. McCarthy needs to do the same this off season. A great staff goes a long way.

Reaction score
I wonder if Philbin would consider coming back. I realize that’s a shot in the dark but he had this Offense firing on all cylinders during his tenure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best game of his career, obviously. If he could do that every week nobody would be complaining about our failure to sign another QB.
I was e epecting that answer from GB2016. Hundley played brilliantly, an amazing job against a leading defense. So the questions become:
1. Did he suddenly become talented for one game or was he always talented?
2. If he was talented all along, then did not TT do his job?
3. Why did he suck in most of the other games?

My answer for #3, he had poor play calling for the first 2 games. Way to conservative to have any chance at winning. The last 2 games he played poorly, made some big mistakes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was e epecting that answer from GB2016. Hundley played brilliantly, an amazing job against a leading defense. So the questions become:
1. Did he suddenly become talented for one game or was he always talented?
2. If he was talented all along, then did not TT do his job?
3. Why did he suck in most of the other games?

My answer for #3, he had poor play calling for the first 2 games. Way to conservative to have any chance at winning. The last 2 games he played poorly, made some big mistakes.

Hundley seemed to play better on the road, especially in Pittsburgh. Hundley had to feel the weight of the world on him from the moment he stepped behind center; "The great AR is down, it's my time." This pressure had to keep mounting especially when the team immediately sputtered and lost 4 of its next 5 games.

Maybe being at home, playing in front of Packers fans added even more pressure on Hundley. I was a H.S. athlete and I know my nerves always seemed to get jacked up higher at home than away. You feel like there are more people watching you and more people to either please or disappoint.

The Steelers game may have just been a day when the Stars aligned for Hundley or he finally said to himself, "Just play the game and don't worry about the fans and what happens."

Of course then he went back to GB the next week and dropped a deuce against Tampa Bay.

I also don't think his receiving corp. or possibly the entire offense had a lot of confidence in him after awhile as well. That doesn't help when guys aren't playing well around you.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers game may have just been a day when the Stars aligned for Hundley or he finally said to himself, "Just play the game and don't worry about the fans and what happens."

I also don't think his receiving corp. or possibly the entire offense had a lot of confidence in him after awhile as well. That doesn't help when guys aren't playing well around you.
I can see all of that.

To me, it is clear, Hundley has the skill and raw tools to play at a high level in the NFL. Why did he mostly fall on his face? I think coaching failed him.

In the first 2 games the game plan appeared to be short passes that are easy to complete to boost his confidence. Which is fine, but when the defense starts playing up and takes ot away, you have to mix in some intermediate passes. Hundley followed his progression as he was taught and we had no chance of moving the offense. And we didnt adjust! One of the most frustrating games I have watched.

What's between his ears is partly Hundley personality/intellectual wise and partly what the coaches put there and how they build him up for the mental game. I'm not sure if Hundley has it, and I'm pretty sure the coaching did not have him prepared enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can see all of that.

To me, it is clear, Hundley has the skill and raw tools to play at a high level in the NFL. Why did he mostly fall on his face? I think coaching failed him.

In the first 2 games the game plan appeared to be short passes that are easy to complete to boost his confidence. Which is fine, but when the defense starts playing up and takes ot away, you have to mix in some intermediate passes. Hundley followed his progression as he was taught and we had no chance of moving the offense. And we didnt adjust! One of the most frustrating games I have watched.

What's between his ears is partly Hundley personality/intellectual wise and partly what the coaches put there and how they build him up for the mental game. I'm not sure if Hundley has it, and I'm pretty sure the coaching did not have him prepared enough.

Agreed. Probably the big reason Van Pelt is out. Hundley has the off season now to work through some of his issues, which could be predominantly mental. I don't see the Packers just cutting him, they have nobody to replace him with. I do think we will see some real competition brought in to push him though and that won't just be Callahan and a few UDFA's.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't read much into Hundley's performance in Pittsburgh, unfortunately. Did he have a great game? Definitely.

Any QB who is capable of getting to this level is capable of the stars aligning on a given night and having their best game. Rex Grossman had a 4 TD, 0 INT game. To me, that's all I really get out of it.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't read much into Hundley's performance in Pittsburgh, unfortunately. Did he have a great game? Definitely.

Any QB who is capable of getting to this level is capable of the stars aligning on a given night and having their best game. Rex Grossman had a 4 TD, 0 INT game. To me, that's all I really get out of it.

I don't think anyone here believes the Steelers game performance should be expected on a regular basis. It did show us Hundley has the ability to have an occasional great game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually, think back to the other QBs who have their game(s) against the Pack as the only thing to console themselves. :)

Reaction score
I’m not trying to make excuses for Hundley but he was basically iced his entire second year and I think it’s not at all unnatural for a player to take a step back after a season ending injury.
If we put away our subjective opinions and let the facts be the facts. The playing time he got was mostly against very good Defenses and and overall good teams SOS wise.
Here’s who he lost to in points allowed in games he started: I won’t count him being injected into a game cold with a depleted OL and against the BEST defense in the league on the road.
Defenses ratings by points allowed reg season

Saints #10
Lions #21
Ravens #6 (shutout)
Steelers #7
Vikings #1 (shutout)
That’s an average of #9 ranked scoring Defenses

His Wins were against #9, #22, #31
That’s an average of #21 ranked in scoring D (coincidence?)

The point I’m making is we undeniably all have relatively high expectations and that’s to be expected after watching #12 compete week to week.

The QB position obviously doesn’t get perfected in 8 starts. Even with elite level QBs there are many more examples of how they had initial inconsistent play and then developed over a full year or three.

That being said 2018 needs to have a backup plan past Brett and it better not be Callahan.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just look at the Vikings game, he wasn't bad relative to back ups that are good enough in this league. He made some bad throws, he's going to, he's always going to. Every other back up QB that comes here is going to as well. Aaron Rodgers is going to. But he did a lot of things fairly well, especially when looking at him as a back up. He avoided some good rushes and made good plays. One of his strengths. His long balls aren't the best, but the one he did put out there well, the WR didn't even attempt to make a play on it. Didn't even stick an arm out, like he didn't know it was there or he was afraid it would hit him in the hands or something. He had at least 4 other passes, big ones on 3rd down that would have given this offense 16 more plays to run, more of a groove, more of a chance to set things up and guys just flat out dropped good passes. There were more drops, perfect back shoulder early in the game to a guy seeing his first action. Not going to get on a lst year call up from PS player, but that pass was great. Guys need to help out a back up, not leave him flapping in the breeze.

I'm still not convinced he has it, or doesn't for that matter. numbers look a lot worse than he played, but at the same time, big mistakes in the redzone over multiple games hasn't gone away either. He'll get a chance to compete with someone, that's for sure. I still see the ability, but lots of guys with ability don't get it either. I don't think he was given the best shot either, a lot of it by the players around him that should have been better. They failed him as much as anything at important times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts