New offensive coordinator incoming?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel MM was the OC as he was the main offensive guru for the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel MM was the OC as he was the main offensive guru for the team.

Agree. I stopped following the labels of who is who on the coaching staff. At one point in time (2015?) they had Clements/Bennett/McCarthy all being called something resembling OC's and it was still MM down there appearing to call the plays.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we’ve had more success under certain OCs than others under MMs reign. MM is the end all, but I do think the OC makes a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we’ve had more success under certain OCs than others under MMs reign. MM is the end all, but I do think the OC makes a difference.

That being said, I am now picturing an OC for the Packers as the guy who pours over game film, sits in front of a whiteboard drawing up plays and running all of it by MM before it goes on that long list of plays MM carries on the sideline. If that is the case, bring in some young upcoming guy who is both creative and brilliant, is willing to work long hours on crafting up some creative play calls. Especially ones that don't include throwing 5 yard passes on 3rd and 6+ or handing the ball off to Cobb.

Much like the DC position, I wouldn't mind seeing them go outside the organization for some fresh ideas on offense.

Last edited:

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I stopped following the labels of who is who on the coaching staff. At one point in time (2015?) they had Clements/Bennett/McCarthy all being called something resembling OC's and it was still MM down there appearing to call the plays.

Tom Clements got a weird job title like associate head coach/offense (I can't remember exactly), but even knowing that, the OC label was still stuck in my head.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would love to see us snag a young, innovative offensive mind to pair with McCarthy's experience.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Also, the more news that drops, the more that I'm convinced that Rodgers is having an impact on these decisions behind the scenes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also, the more news that drops, the more that I'm convinced that Rodgers is having an impact on these decisions behind the scenes.

Wait, are you saying the great AR is doing to the Packers what he did to the Dallas Organization?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like who? Innovative ideas are great if we have the right players to use them, but flexibility is more important for a team that struggles without the starting QB.

I think whoever you hire as OC, its a guy who takes Aaron Rodgers skillset, the players around him and runs with making that the best it can be. Really hard to ask an OC or MM to create 2 distinct offenses, one with AR and one without him. Of course you plan for that possibility of life without AR, but don't dumb down the entire playbook just because it happened this year.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the winds of change so exciting in Lambeau, I'm open to a fresh face on both sides of the ball, but anyone really good is already an OC and more so in line for a HC position.

I wouldn't mind recalling James Franklin or giving Kevin Sumlin a call though....

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see us snag a young, innovative offensive mind to pair with McCarthy's experience.
If, and Mccarthy's future may depend on this if.....the young coach has the cohones to challenge that status quo and Mccarthy has the maturity to listen. His apparent stubbornness is one of the reasons we are in this position.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's in the running for the Bear's HC job, but I would love to get Frank DeFilippo here as OC.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think whoever you hire as OC, its a guy who takes Aaron Rodgers skillset, the players around him and runs with making that the best it can be. Really hard to ask an OC or MM to create 2 distinct offenses, one with AR and one without him. Of course you plan for that possibility of life without AR, but don't dumb down the entire playbook just because it happened this year.

The OC does not have to create a totally different scheme for the backup QB. That is not practical. A willingness to take some plays out of the playbook when they don't fit the backup's skill set, however, can be done with the right OC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If, and Mccarthy's future may depend on this if.....the young coach has the cohones to challenge that status quo and Mccarthy has the maturity to listen. His apparent stubbornness is one of the reasons we are in this position.
Can you give examples. Of stubbornness?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like a new offensive coordinator who gets the freedom to call the plays. We tried it before but since the OC was promoted from within and it felt like he was just trying to run McCarthy's offense. McCarthy ran a good offense but I would love to see some more wrinkles thrown in. A new offensive coordinator can really change an offense. Look at Shurmur a Minnesota. I can't stand the Vikings but that offense does a great job creating mismatches, utilizing screens, running drag routes, mixing run/pass, etc. Green bay while still really good has become predictable. They are overly reliant on a few plays.

Let McCarthy run the team. Bring in a offensive coordinator to run the offense in practice and during the game. Maybe McCarthy is just trying to do too much.

Members online

Latest posts