Moss now a Viking OFFICIAL THREAD

OP
OP
News Bot

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Brad Childress welcomes Randy Moss to Minnesota

The Vikings have followed New England's lead and confirmed the acquisition of Randy Moss. Brad Childress will meet with the media at 3:30 ET, and Moss will be available to reporters after practice on Thursday."We feel very good about the...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

OP
OP
News Bot

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Report: Randy Moss had halftime outburst at Patriots assistant

The Patriots' decision to trade Randy Moss to the Vikings may have been motivated by an incident at halftime of New England's Monday night game in Miami.

Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com reports that Moss and Patriots quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien had a heated exchange at halftime on Monday night.

One player described the incident as an "outburst," apparently motivated by the fact that Moss only had one pass thrown to him in the first half. O'Brien calls the offensive plays, and Moss didn't have any passes thrown to him in the second half.

Reiss's report meshes with Mike Florio's report that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was getting pissed off at Moss. The coaches in New England appear to have decided that Moss was more trouble than he was worth. Only time can tell whether Brad Childress eventually reaches a similar conclusion.
Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I like to hear! Wait to he has Brett attempting to throw to him! Going to be hillarious!

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Favre returning next year. This looks to be it for him. However, that a big LOOKS TO BE. I am an old traditional Vikings fan that goes back to 1967, when my Dad gave me a Vikings helmet for Christmas...the old Vikings players were tough and made no excuses, no whining (so were the Packers back then for that matter). I was weaned on Allen, Page, Marshall, etc. Hard hitting, but they always came up short. Now we seem to have teams, and not just the Vikings with prima donnas begging for the limelight. If there is an offseason full of Favre drama, I'm going to do what I did this year-I ignored it until the regular season started. I am just as big a Twins fan as a Vikes fan, and I tend to concentrate on baseball anyway until that season is over-so for example, right now I am waiting to watch the Twins destroy the Yankees tonight, and the Vikes are pretty far from my mind. I would never jump ship. I am a true believer, and have supported my team through thick and thin. That's why underneath the rivalry with the Packers and Bears, I appreciate their fans, because there is nothing better on a cool, autumn Sunday than to watch MN v. GB or MN v. CHIC. I'm just looking at this year right now, and it looks better this morning than it was looking yesterday. The key will be whether we can win a game or two before Rice comes back, and be eligible for the playoffs. I don't care if we win the division or not right now, because the Packers should win it this year. I just want the Vikes to get into playoff contention with Favre and company healthy.

You and I must be around the same age. I was 7 in '67. When I said "jump ship" I meant jump ship on Favre and his drama. That's what I'm wondering about. It took 5 years of drama for most Packers fans to get off the Favre bandwagon, and some never did. I was off quite some time ago, but that's just me. I took a lot of heat for it.

As for the Twins, I hope they beat the **** outta the Evil Empire. I'd actually like to see them go all the way to the series, although I'm pulling for the Reds to win it all. I'm a Brewers fan, but I'm somewhat infatuated with the Reds just for them sticking it to the Cards. I hate the Cards. Tony Larussa is my "most hated" sports figure, and has been forever. I honestly don't know if I could continue to support the Brewers if they hired Larussa. I hate him that much. He's like Jay Cutler to me in that the very sight of him and his demeanor make me want to punch a bag of kittens.

I read an article on Fox Sports this morning that said the Rays are the best-run franchise in all of sports... I dunno about that. Amongst Brewers fans, the Twins are pretty much universally regarded as the shining example of how to build a franchise for the long haul without having endlessly deep pockets. It makes a lot of us crazy for the Brewers to continually struggle, when the road-map for success is right next door.

Seenin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Pats fans getting real upset by it, but at the same time, it makes so much sense for NE to do it. Moss has high trade value, especially for a team as desperate for WRs as MN. Plus I'm sure the Vikes will throw all sorts of cash at him, which is all he cares about.

I think the vikings got him on the cheap to be honest.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the vikings got him on the cheap to be honest.
Wasn't he adcquired for a 4th from the Raiders?
And why were the Vikings the only team to inquire for him?

I'm not saying it was a bad deal, just that I don't think it was cheap, considering his age and contract...

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and I must be around the same age. I was 7 in '67. When I said "jump ship" I meant jump ship on Favre and his drama. That's what I'm wondering about. It took 5 years of drama for most Packers fans to get off the Favre bandwagon, and some never did. I was off quite some time ago, but that's just me. I took a lot of heat for it.

As for the Twins, I hope they beat the **** outta the Evil Empire. I'd actually like to see them go all the way to the series, although I'm pulling for the Reds to win it all. I'm a Brewers fan, but I'm somewhat infatuated with the Reds just for them sticking it to the Cards. I hate the Cards. Tony Larussa is my "most hated" sports figure, and has been forever. I honestly don't know if I could continue to support the Brewers if they hired Larussa. I hate him that much. He's like Jay Cutler to me in that the very sight of him and his demeanor make me want to punch a bag of kittens.

I read an article on Fox Sports this morning that said the Rays are the best-run franchise in all of sports... I dunno about that. Amongst Brewers fans, the Twins are pretty much universally regarded as the shining example of how to build a franchise for the long haul without having endlessly deep pockets. It makes a lot of us crazy for the Brewers to continually struggle, when the road-map for success is right next door.

Well, right now the best run franchise is losing to the Rangers 5-0. If the Twins can get past the Yanks, I am hoping Texas does knock off the Rays. We have not done too good against the Yanks in the past, so I'm dreading what might happen. Right now I would not "jump ship" with Favre. I hate the way he acts, and wish he would just knock it off, but it seems ingrained in his personality. However, last year he provided us with a year we would not have had without him. There is no way we would have been playing against the Saints last year in the NFC Championship without him. Do I like putting up with his behavior? Hell no. Do I like when he wins games? Hell yes. So the bottom line is he better start winning.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think this makes Minnesota the best team in the NFL. By a healthy margin.

Their offense's problem has been that Brett hasn't been able to stretch the field because of his crappy receivers. Now he gets one of the best in the league at stretching the field, which opens up the underneath game for Harvin, who can now do his best Wes Welker impression.

If this works as it should, it completely fixes their passing game and makes it one of the best in the league. And they still have one of the best running games and defenses in the NFL. I see no weaknesses. Maybe the O-line, because Favre's been taking shots, but he'll be able to get rid of the ball quicker if there's pressure now because Moss opens up the underneath routes so well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Their offense's problem has been that Brett hasn't been able to stretch the field because of his crappy receivers. Now he gets one of the best in the league at stretching the field, which opens up the underneath game for Harvin, who can now do his best Wes Welker impression.

If this works as it should, it completely fixes their passing game and makes it one of the best in the league. And they still have one of the best running games and defenses in the NFL. I see no weaknesses. Maybe the O-line, because Favre's been taking shots, but he'll be able to get rid of the ball quicker if there's pressure now because Moss opens up the underneath routes so well.

Kevin Seifert (former Viking coverage guy) in his NFC North Blog on ESPN wrote that they may have the best players now, but he isn't willing to say they have the best team, yet. He poses some very good and hard questions about the Moss deal and about Moss himself.

The Vikings are basically fufilling the end of the contract Moss had with the Patriots at 6.4 mil for this year. But they haven't even discussed what it will cost them to keep him past this year. This is almost unbelievable in my eyes. What were the Patriots offering him? If he didn't like what Kraft offered, I wonder what he's going to demand from the Wylfs? This looks like a redux of the 49ers to me. They broke the bank to stock up on talent in their waning years and haven't been a contender since. Of course what am I saying? Does anybody ever think the Vikings will seriously contend? (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I also just read on Yahoosports that even the players and Chilly himself are taking an all or nothing approach to this year. Chilly said many players won't be on the team next year. He knows they've mortgaged the future. They've gone all in.

Personally, I hope it blows up in their face. I've never liked that the Yankees and Red Sox could buy a championship and I didn't want that coming into the NFL. That's what was good about the NFL salary cap.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this makes them better than they were last year. I mean, there's only so good a team can get before it plateaus, and I think last season's Vikings hit that mark. If anything, this move has the potential to make them equal to last season, but not better. By the way, that's not a knock against the Vikings. They were damn good last year. I just don't think this move makes them better than they were last season.

The other thing to consider is Favre's performance. He was lights out last season while we've yet to see the bulb even go on this season. I also think it's unrealistic to expect him to match last season's performance from here on out, even with the addition of Moss. Plus that offensive line is looking worse than ours at the moment. That's not to say it won't improve, but at the moment it's not very good.

So basically, while Moss brings with him the potential to make the Vikings the offensive juggernaut they were last season, it's anything but a guarantee.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also just read on Yahoosports that even the players and Chilly himself are taking an all or nothing approach to this year. Chilly said many players won't be on the team next year. He knows they've mortgaged the future. They've gone all in.

Personally, I hope it blows up in their face. I've never liked that the Yankees and Red Sox could buy a championship and I didn't want that coming into the NFL. That's what was good about the NFL salary cap.

I think what he meant by those comments is they'll have a TON of free agents next year and not all of them will be able to be resigned.

Running down the list of their notable 2011 free agents:

• Brett Favre
  • Tarvaris Jackson
  • Randy Moss
  • Sidney Rice
  • Greg Lewis
  • Ryan Cook
  • Ray Edwards
  • Brian Robison
  • Pat Williams
  • Chad Greenway
  • Ben Leber
  • Erin Henderson
  • Lito Sheppard
  • Ryan Longwell

There's a few others who are due to be free agents next season as well, but aren't the more notable players outside of the Vikings organization.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is in the new CBA. There will have to be some penalty for teams that broke the bank during the off year. Presumably it will be a lower salary cap figure for that team. Then you have multiple contracts of veteran players due to be signed. Moss will not be cheap. Heck Favre even got them up to 20 million with his deal.

Where is that even coming from? There is no way the spending this year is factored in to a new CBA. Owners won't go for it. LOL.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is that even coming from? There is no way the spending this year is factored in to a new CBA. Owners won't go for it. LOL.

While it's not a certainty, it is absolutely possible that owners who were unable/unwilling to bust the salary cap decide to penalize those teams who chose to use 2010 as a clearing house for their salary cap. When you consider many of the owners are trying to get out of revenue sharing, it wouldn't be surprising to see the owners get together and stick it to those who opted to try and buy a championship this season. This is especially true when you consider a low revenue team like the Vikings who constantly has to leech off small market teams like Green Bay and Kansas City were somehow able to find the money to pay Moss AND give Favre an extra $7 Mill he allegedly didn't ask for.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, but the possibility most definitely exists.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think what he meant by those comments is they'll have a TON of free agents next year and not all of them will be able to be resigned.

Running down the list of their notable 2011 free agents:

• Brett Favre
  • Tarvaris Jackson
  • Randy Moss
  • Sidney Rice
  • Greg Lewis
  • Ryan Cook
  • Ray Edwards
  • Brian Robison
  • Pat Williams
  • Chad Greenway
  • Ben Leber
  • Erin Henderson
  • Lito Sheppard
  • Ryan Longwell

There's a few others who are due to be free agents next season as well, but aren't the more notable players outside of the Vikings organization.

WalterFootball.com: 2011 NFL Free Agency and Beyond - Expiring Contracts: Minnesota Vikings

Not that I want Queen's castoffs, but Greenway would be a nice pickup for us, but don't know how stupid they would have to be not to resign him.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Not that I want Queen's castoffs, but Greenway would be a nice pickup for us, but don't know how stupid they would have to be not to resign him.

It's not a matter of smart or stupid. There are a lot of players on that list that are going to want big money. It's a matter of finances. They won't be able to afford them and Chilly knows it. That's why this year is a make or break year.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's not a matter of smart or stupid. There are a lot of players on that list that are going to want big money. It's a matter of finances. They won't be able to afford them and Chilly knows it. That's why this year is a make or break year.

I realize this. I am simply saying IMO he would be high on my list of players needing to be resigned. If for some reason he wasn't, I would like to have him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conditions for that to happen:
1) Greenway being a FA
2) Greenway not wanting top money
3) Greenway not wanting above average money
4) Greenway not wanting a lot of money
5) Someone from the Packers' organization waking TT up when FA period starts
6) TT making a contract offer, Greenway accepting it, and no other team making a better offer

Chances of Greenway signing with the Packers:
-15%

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These are my thoughts exactly, except im not ready to crown them best in the NFL, at least until Favre starts to show up.

but Moss is definitely going to make the Vikings a heck of a lot better.

I dont get how people are saying "oh Favre is there quarterback" sarcastically. I think the Vikings are gonna start turning it on...very soon.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's not a certainty, it is absolutely possible that owners who were unable/unwilling to bust the salary cap decide to penalize those teams who chose to use 2010 as a clearing house for their salary cap. When you consider many of the owners are trying to get out of revenue sharing, it wouldn't be surprising to see the owners get together and stick it to those who opted to try and buy a championship this season. This is especially true when you consider a low revenue team like the Vikings who constantly has to leech off small market teams like Green Bay and Kansas City were somehow able to find the money to pay Moss AND give Favre an extra $7 Mill he allegedly didn't ask for.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, but the possibility most definitely exists.

And I'm telling you that if the don't get the vast majority of owners to agree on something like that it won't happen. I just don't see this year being a blip as far as the CBA goes.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so they get moss back i know d-line has some missing pieces but i thnk we can handle the vikes we would have played against moss anyway since we have to play the pats,and when brett is going down and throwing to whoever well woodson will be back there go pack.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And I'm telling you that if the don't get the vast majority of owners to agree on something like that it won't happen. I just don't see this year being a blip as far as the CBA goes.

The CBA is going to be major this time around. This is why there is all the talk of a lock out. Even if there aren't penalties for teams that tried to buy a ring this year, there will be another salary cap. Then all the teams that threw money away this year won't have the room to retain or recruit.

There was an interesting opinion in this morning's local paper. I think she makes a lot of sense. The difference between the Vikings and the Packers right now, is the Vikings are forfeiting the next x number of years for their shot this year. The Packers are taking the Patriots' approach. They wish to be a team with which to be reckoned for the next x number of years.

The Vikings may have peaked last year. If they don't get to the show this year, they are probably done in for perhaps the next 5 years or so.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CBA is going to be major this time around. This is why there is all the talk of a lock out. Even if there aren't penalties for teams that tried to buy a ring this year, there will be another salary cap. Then all the teams that threw money away this year won't have the room to retain or recruit.

There was an interesting opinion in this morning's local paper. I think she makes a lot of sense. The difference between the Vikings and the Packers right now, is the Vikings are forfeiting the next x number of years for their shot this year. The Packers are taking the Patriots' approach. They wish to be a team with which to be reckoned for the next x number of years.

The Vikings may have peaked last year. If they don't get to the show this year, they are probably done in for perhaps the next 5 years or so.

Oh there will be a CBA, and there will be consequences for teams that mismanaged this year. By that I mean, players that were signed to contracts long term, the years after this uncapped year, that will be what the cap hits. What stuff was paid out and counted in the uncapped year I don't see repercussions for. There will be another salary cap, but i expect the math will be different. With 18 games on the schedule that means more money to players probably, and they will want to bring rookie salaries in line.

I don't know what the overall cap will look like, it it could be lower, could be higher, could be the same as it was in 2010, noone really knows, but what I do know is going after money already off the books before the CBA just won't happen. The only thing that will carry over will be contracts going forward I think.

I agree btw the Vikings have taken a cue from the Skins and are now going all at for winning now. The pack have tried to build al ong term good product. We remember what it was like pre Favre, we don't want to go back there again.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Right, we're saying the same thing. The difference is you started off by saying there's no way in hell it happens and I'm giving you logical reason why it could. However, if the owners don't agree to it, there will be no penalty for it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree btw the Vikings have taken a cue from the Skins and are now going all at for winning now. The pack have tried to build al ong term good product. We remember what it was like pre Favre, we don't want to go back there again.

We'll see how the CBA all goes down. Present indication are that the players want more money and the owners are willing to lock them out. Now if the owners want to keep their hands on the dough, it's reasonable to assume they are going to bargain for a tough cap.

In another train of thought, that 3rd round pick the Vikings gave up could also be huge. I know this falls under the category of sketchy "what ifs" but think about this list of players who were taken in the 3rd round or later; Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Johnny Unitas, Mike Webster, Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, John Stallworth, Terrell Davis, Nick Buoniconti and Shannon Sharpe. I surmise the lower number of the round, the more probability of getting an all-star player. Now there are 7 rounds in the draft. Presumably the top 3 rounds are going to be your top half of the picks. Therefore, giving up a 3rd *could* be huge.

Members online

Latest posts