martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point of fact. The Packers are claiming he didn't disclose the injury when they signed him. So, when was he injured? Last year with the Pats? During the Super Bowl? After the Super Bowl? He showed up on the Super Bowl injury report with knee and ankle problems, but not a shoulder issue. So, if he tore his rotator cuff, when did he do it? You all think it doesn't matter. But what if he tore it during the playoffs last year and it was never reported by the Patriots? Or did it happen between Feb 6th 2017 and the day the Packers signed him? How long has he been complaining about it? The Packers don't get to just cut a guy claiming he didn't disclose health issues without something to back it up. The fact that so many Packer fans think the organization is squeaky clean is almost cute.
Another point of fact, all torn rotator cuffs are not created equal, so whether he did or didn't have it doesn't really matter to me. The question becomes can he play or can't he. It would appear he can, and has been determined to be able to by 2 different team doctors. One being after he made the claim he needed surgery.

The guy quit, I'm glad he's gone. It's obvious what happened. He's Randy moss 2.0 and plays when he wants to. He tried to get a doctors excuse to sit out the season. What's cute is you think that's not what happened?

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers don't get to just cut a guy claiming he didn't disclose health issues without something to back it up.
This is the interesting thing. The "back up" is that he left the team for a week claiming a medical condition. That serves as pretext. Let's say the Packers story is 100% truth: he never complained and no medical condition was ever identified. Bennett's medical claims and skipping out would be sufficient to make the move they did. They may have no idea whether his claim of an injury is bona fide or not, and may not have cared if they saw Bennett giving them an out on player they saw as "retiring" and for whatever reason not performing.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We bought a corvette with no engine in regards to Bennett. Live and learn and move on. Hopefully they can get some $ back.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not very well, in the Packers scheme anyway.

It strikes me that much of this line of discussion is like that girlfriend you were not all that crazy about breaking up with you. "YOU are breaking up with ME?"

It's more like standing at the return center at Wal-Mart trying to get a refund on a damaged product you bought.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I see it for what it is. No matter where it happens. The Packers have made statements about him and he has made statements about the Packers. Somewhere in between is the truth. There are a few questions that need to be answered to get to the truth.

1) When did Bennett injure his shoulder? Because it wasn't before the Super Bowl. I don't remember him injuring it during the game, does anyone else?
2) If the Packers did an x-ray on it, as he claims, why? That would indicate that he told them there was a problem with it, or would it?
3) Did he really put it down that his shoulder hurt and when did he start complaining about it?
4) What about the so called 7 doctors he supposedly talked to. I believe in getting a second opinion or a 3rd, but 7?
5)Did he injure it last year playing for the Pats and have them cover it up?
6)There were 34 days from the end of the Super Bowl to the Packers signing him. Did he see a doctor about his shoulder during that time period?

My bet. The Packers don't try to reclaim any bonus money paid to him. Because if they do, all of these questions will have to be answered.

What if the "undisclosed injury" release was a gentleman's agreement behind closed doors? What if Bennett came out and told the powers that be that his desire was to play with Aaron Rodgers for a shot at the big show. And then told them that since Rodgers is out, they have to be realistic about the chances of getting there. What if Bennett said he would like out, and the Packer offices said; "Okay, on the condition we give it an undisclosed injury status, and then you give us some of that signing bonus in return?" A lot of what ifs, but a lot happens behind closed doors that we may never see.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not very well, in the Packers scheme anyway.

It strikes me that much of this line of discussion is like that girlfriend you were not all that crazy about breaking up with you. "YOU are breaking up with ME?"
If he didn't want to be here, I"m glad he's gone. Trust me, he can stay gone.

It still doesn't change what happened. He quit, and tried to get a doctor's excuse to sit this one out and still get paid. he probably will get to keep his money, I don't really care. It's not like i'm going to ask for my sweater back or the ring I bought her, keep it, and go away. But if she's going to cry abuse when in reality she's a cheating no good *****, i'm glad someone took 2 seconds to call her ********. That would be more akin to what has happened here.

He is physically able to play, was physically able to play, and will continue to be physically able to play until such time a new injury is acquired, or Marty decides things have gotten too tough and decides to quit on his team again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the "undisclosed injury" release was a gentleman's agreement behind closed doors? What if Bennett came out and told the powers that be that his desire was to play with Aaron Rodgers for a shot at the big show. And then told them that since Rodgers is out, they have to be realistic about the chances of getting there. What if Bennett said he would like out, and the Packer offices said; "Okay, on the condition we give it an undisclosed injury status, and then you give us some of that signing bonus in return?" A lot of what ifs, but a lot happens behind closed doors that we may never see.
why? just get released and pay back some of the bonus. Easy peasy. Instead he gets an injury in a bye week, says he's going to retire and then blasts team doctors and then plays the very next week in which he wasn't supposed to play for GB. Remember, he was ruled out for this week and yet there he was, fine as can be playing for the Patriots.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could still riot in the streets of Green Bay and burn MB in effigy, if you wanna. :unsure:

Or not.

Honestly, I'm surprised his stats with GB are as good as they are. I don't remember him doing anything "particularly useful".

Quitter.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're assuming that Bennett is a "gentleman." I have seen no indication that either the Bennett boys is anything close to that. It would also require Ted to believe we have no playoff chance and I assure you he's not thinking that in any way. It's simple. Bennett is a liar and he wanted to ride someone else's coat tails to another Super Bowl like he did last year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that something stinks, it's Bennett's attitude at the very least, if nothing more nefarious.
The Packers pay his signing bonus, and Belichick reaps the benefits. I notice he didn't have any drops yesterday.

Then he characterizes his playing yesterday as "revenge" against the Packers. All his play does yesterday is prove Dr. McKenzie was right.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey be happy the Packers signed Bennett - because in every category he's better then Jared Cook.
At least that was the argument of most on this site had during the spring. I said it before and I 'll say it again with a lot less opposition this time. Bennett isn't a difference maker, even with AROD healthy. He wasn't any faster then Richard Rodgers and in essence he was glorified Bubba Franks who could block but couldn't separate from defenders. You know, Cook wanted to be here in GB and was a hard worker, but hey everyone got what they wanted in Bennett, be happy and don't complain - just next time be careful of what you hope for.

H

HardRightEdge

It's more like standing at the return center at Wal-Mart trying to get a refund on a damaged product you bought.
It is like that. Caveat emptor, or claw back a refund if you can get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

If he didn't want to be here, I"m glad he's gone. Trust me, he can stay gone.

It still doesn't change what happened. He quit, and tried to get a doctor's excuse to sit this one out and still get paid. he probably will get to keep his money, I don't really care. It's not like i'm going to ask for my sweater back or the ring I bought her, keep it, and go away. But if she's going to cry abuse when in reality she's a cheating no good *****, i'm glad someone took 2 seconds to call her ********. That would be more akin to what has happened here.

He is physically able to play, was physically able to play, and will continue to be physically able to play until such time a new injury is acquired, or Marty decides things have gotten too tough and decides to quit on his team again.
I'm glad he's gone regardless, and that's my point. I guess nobody noticed how he rumbled through routes and dropped balls. I don't think the guy could run a 4.8 on a bet.

I guess I just tend to look at things from a pragmatic and forward-looking standpoint. Bennett did us a favor. And frankly, if she was a no good cheating *****, I'd be over that in less time than 4 days, guaranteed. More like 4 minutes. And I would definitely ask for the ring back.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm glad he's gone regardless, and that's my point. I guess nobody noticed how he rumbled through routes and dropped balls. I don't think the guy could run a 4.8 on a bet.

I guess I just tend to look at things from a pragmatic and forward-looking standpoint. Bennett did us a favor. And frankly, if she was a no good cheating *****, I'd be over that in less time than 4 days, guaranteed. More like 4 minutes. And I would definitely ask for the ring back.

I suppose some people might be going through the heart break phase of the whole thing. Deep down inside they feel wronged. I can understand that and I was excited when they signed Bennett but the bottom line is he showed very little. You could time him with a calendar as they say. Even if the Packers don't get any money back I think there better off without him at this point. Green Bay just wasn't a good fit for Bennett all the way around when you consider scheme, damaged goods, etc etc.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd feel a lot worse if Thompson didn't get kendricks too.
But seriously. I knew he was full of shizzy when the retirement talk started. Then the fake shoulder?! I didn't flinch when the GBP sent him hiking. Lol. It was a good resolve to a problem. Showed fire. Showed we don't have time to argue with a quitter about quitting. And we followed it up with a win...

Kendricks and Rodgers are going to out play Bennett anyways

H

HardRightEdge

I'd feel a lot worse if Thompson didn't get kendricks too.
But seriously. I knew he was full of shizzy when the retirement talk started. Then the fake shoulder?! I didn't flinch when the GBP sent him hiking. Lol. It was a good resolve to a problem. Showed fire. Showed we don't have time to argue with a quitter about quitting. And we followed it up with a win...

Kendricks and Rodgers are going to out play Bennett anyways
That's the healthy way to look at it. Next man up. Let's see if the guys can replace those 3.4 catches, 33 yards, 1 drop and 0 TDs per game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey be happy the Packers signed Bennett - because in every category he's better then Jared Cook.
At least that was the argument of most on this site had during the spring. I said it before and I 'll say it again with a lot less opposition this time. Bennett isn't a difference maker, even with AROD healthy. He wasn't any faster then Richard Rodgers and in essence he was glorified Bubba Franks who could block but couldn't separate from defenders. You know, Cook wanted to be here in GB and was a hard worker, but hey everyone got what they wanted in Bennett, be happy and don't complain - just next time be careful of what you hope for.
I think many of us were disapointed that Cook wasn't resigned.... but we were hopeful Bennet was going to be a good replacement. Unfortunately this is a big risk when using free agency.... It is a risk I think teams must take, but it is a risk. This time we lost.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue that Bennett wasn't a disappointment. His catch like in Dallas is more what I had in mind. I never thought he was a burner, but he is known for breaking tackles and and being a big target. He never really produced and had some drops, even with Rodgers. He wasn't exactly useless in the passing game though, we survived playing with back up guards at the tackle positions somehow. Wasn't pretty, but he helped. I hate to even give him credit because he's a quitter.

I'm also not going to argue that he didn't do us a favor. He did. He's not doing himself many. He talks too much LOL. Just think, all he had to do was say i can't play until he was cut. GB knew what was up. No way you put him on IR and let him cash checks when he can play. If they just cut him, which they could have, there'd be no chance of recovering bonus money. But he's a loudmouth and doesn't know when to keep his trap shut. Basically making it about him not being able to play and the big bad team was forcing him too, when he just proved to the world (as if it needed proving) that he was perfectly able to play in the first place he just didn't want to.

anyway, he's gone. oh i, oh i, I better learn how to face it,

and when we signed Cook, he came with the label of injury prone, spotty hands, and marginal blocking. It's not like he was a sure thing either. He did miss half a season for us. Came on strong and made a huge catch on a perfect throw against Dallas. Nobody seems to remember the Bennett like drop early in the Atlanta game though from Cook. If he'd have sat out the first half of the season with injury for the Raiders like he did for us, would people still be saying "we should have signed Cook" at this point?

Kendricks has made some nice catches for us, though few and far between. Rodgers has made some big catches for us in the past as well. He's just never going to be as fast or a tackle breaking machine like we'd like him to be. I'd much rather see guys that gut it out get opportunities than all the talent in the world that doesn't really want to be here get them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It only doesn't matter if your a Packer fan and blinded by fandom. If he had been putting this down since week 3, and every week since, why hasn't he shown up on the injury report?

Per Occam's Razor, the most obvious and likely explanation is that Bennett is a liar.

Reaction score
I can recall very clearly getting shouted down, here and elsewhere in the packers online fan world, when I suggested that Bennett wasn't that impressive, that I didn't view him as that much of an upgrade over Cook, and that Bennett and Kendricks coming in did not lead me to believe in any way that our offense would be transformed.

I'm as shocked as anyone else that I ended up being right. Still, just wish it had gone down differently.

Reaction score
Actually, it's not.
I agree. The most likely answer, to my mind, is that circling an area to indicate pain does not meet the threshold for the medical staff for reporting an injury. Likely that (reporting player indicated pain and/or discomfort as an injury on the official injury report) requires further data, including but not limited to previous injury of the affected area being known by the medical staff, consultation between medical staff members and the player concerning the area of pain/discomfort, etc.

Just because he "circled" his shoulder on a sheet, that does not mean he should be disclosed as an injury, and it also does not mean that he actually disclosed an injury in any way. It just means he circled something on a sheet, and what that actually means has been left up to individual interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts