martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why, in any world, do you people think I am defending Bennett, simply because I think there are other explanations aside from him specifically lying about a specific thing? Is it because I failed to virtue-signal enough for you guys, by taking part in the shouty echo chamber? When did PF become the youtube comments section? I mean, ffs, really.

Maybe because the rest of us can't really see plausible "other explanations" which only you seem to believe in?

Reaction score
Maybe because the rest of us can't really see plausible "other explanations" which only you seem to believe in?
sure, **** it, let's oversimplify everything and reduce it to a nice, easy, twitter-able black-and-white blurb which makes us feel better about ourselves, regardless of how complex systems can be, especially when they involve billion dollar companies. I'm sure that won't have any negative impacts on society if that becomes a thing.

Hey! Then we can complain about how the next generation sucks really bad and is ruining everything, while we jerk ourselves off about how awesome and righteous and perfect we are! I'm totally on board now, forget anything I said which was indicating that self reflection is valuable.

Death to the bad man who made us feel bad! He's definitely the only person who did anything wrong and all of his actions are 100% demonstrably the polar opposite to our values (except when we want to do things and get away with them, of course, but that's okay because it's us doing it).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend not to hold others to a standard I don't maintain myself. Have found myself in plenty of positions I didn't want to be in, but had committed to and saw them thru because it's what I do. I'm sure there will be plenty more. I still haven't seen how Marty being cleared by 2 different team doctors to play, when he says he couldn't doesn't mean he's a liar or a quitter? Ruled out with an injury for the Packers, plays the same week for the patriots. Some injury LOL

Reaction score
I tend not to hold others to a standard I don't maintain myself. Have found myself in plenty of positions I didn't want to be in, but had committed to and saw them thru because it's what I do. I'm sure there will be plenty more. I still haven't seen how Marty being cleared by 2 different team doctors to play, when he says he couldn't doesn't mean he's a liar or a quitter? Ruled out with an injury for the Packers, plays the same week for the patriots. Some injury LOL
I agree, Bennett is dirty as hell. Doesn't mean the situation is a beautiful shade of Green and Gold. Hell, it could be, but I tend to try to remember that as much as I love my chosen sports teams and other associations, they are staffed and run by people whose motives and histories I know little to nothing about. Anyone who likes a celebrity or organization hit by the recent sex scandals should recognize that just because there is no smoke does not mean there is no fire, and assigning one's values vicariously in the hands of an external organization is exhibiting poor judgement.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure, **** it, let's oversimplify everything and reduce it to a nice, easy, twitter-able black-and-white blurb which makes us feel better about ourselves, regardless of how complex systems can be, especially when they involve billion dollar companies. I'm sure that won't have any negative impacts on society if that becomes a thing.

Hey! Then we can complain about how the next generation sucks really bad and is ruining everything, while we jerk ourselves off about how awesome and righteous and perfect we are! I'm totally on board now, forget anything I said which was indicating that self reflection is valuable.

Death to the bad man who made us feel bad! He's definitely the only person who did anything wrong and all of his actions are 100% demonstrably the polar opposite to our values (except when we want to do things and get away with them, of course, but that's okay because it's us doing it).

Not really. Most here have given coherent replies on why they think he's to blame. On the other hand all seem to offer is "there could be other explanations" which is definition of vague.

Prima facie, I see a player who complained Packers doctor forced him to play with an injury....yet happily plays for another team whose doctor also felt his his injury is not serious to restrict play! What other explanations could there be? Can you put yourself in his place and come up with certain suggestions maybe?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Bennett is dirty as hell. Doesn't mean the situation is a beautiful shade of Green and Gold. Hell, it could be, but I tend to try to remember that as much as I love my chosen sports teams and other associations, they are staffed and run by people whose motives and histories I know little to nothing about. Anyone who likes a celebrity or organization hit by the recent sex scandals should recognize that just because there is no smoke does not mean there is no fire, and assigning one's values vicariously in the hands of an external organization is exhibiting poor judgement.
There mere fact that Marty was cleared by another doctor and played on the same weekend he had been ruled out for by the team he's saying was trying to force him to play, I don't need to know much else. Now had he failed a physical with the Pats or something, anything, maybe I'd have a different opinion or at least withhold some level of judgement. I usually don't rush to judgment, but this one seems obvious.

I have no doubt Marty felt "pressure" to play. He was being paid a lot of money to do his job and he wanted to quit and still get paid and the Packers didn't want to let him get away with it. That's just how my Green and Gold googles see it I guess. There was no reason for him not to play other than not wanting to, which the entire league saw on Sunday night.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

hm. I'll just keep my opinions to myself. maybe time to lurk again for a while.

You are entitled to argue your point in a civilised manner. You don't need to retire to anywhere. C`mon guys this is a discussion forum, people have different opinions.

I

meaning what exactly ?. Obvious trolling behaviour like arguing the NFL is fixed but providing no proof whatsoever is unacceptable as far as I`m concerned. Keep it civil and I`m fine.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda missed out on most of this but basically Green Bay is sucking up his entire signing bonus and he gets "out" of Green Bay (where Rodgers is hurt and they appear to be out of any playoff contention) and magically lands back in New England with Tom Brady. Hey.... there's what you know.... and then there's what you can prove. I know Bennett is not an honest guy...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to get the feeling you're following an entirely different line of dialogue than I am.

Raptorman said "If he had been putting this down since week 3, and every week since, why hasn't he shown up on the injury report?"

MrUdonta replied "Per Occam's Razor, the most obvious and likely explanation is that Bennett is a liar."

Raptorman replied "Actually, it's not."

And yet neither of you have as of yet offered a simpler explanation.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is this: If we can get into the playoffs with Rodgers at the helm (and yes, we can) the entire team will raise their level of play just at the thought of having a chance to stick it to Bennett in the Super Bowl.

I

All I know is this: If we can get into the playoffs with Rodgers at the helm (and yes, we can) the entire team will raise their level of play just at the thought of having a chance to stick it to Bennett in the Super Bowl.

That would be fantastic, especially if we beat the Patriots in the Superbowl.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's my football dream for this season, but that's just a dream. Realty is this team looks VERY average.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my football dream for this season, but that's just a dream. Realty is this team looks VERY average.

Not with #12 on the field. And he will be. BTW, every team becomes average when they lose a guy like Rodgers. Wait... there is no other like Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be even more fantastic, is if the Patriots didn't even make it to the Super Bowl. ;)
Funny that our most likely opponents in the Super Bowl are the two teams that we beat to win our last two Lombardis (New England and Pittsburgh). We haven't beat the Belichick/Brady Patriots though (in the Super Bowl).

IF by some miracle we make it that far. Maybe Bennett's disrespect will make good bulletin board motivation for the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the POS didn't get a ring, but he does get to keep his signing bonus. Enjoy it you piece of quitting ****

H

HardRightEdge

well the POS didn't get a ring, but he does get to keep his signing bonus. Enjoy it you piece of quitting ****
In case anybody was wondering:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...for-martellus-bennett-in-signing-bonus-fight/

This ruling surprises me not in the least. And I don't think it would have mattered if they had not waived him.

The only instances I can recall of a team clawing back signing bonus money are those involving retirement, e.g., Ricky Williams and Calvin Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts