martellus Bennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is awful news. Now we are out 4.2 mil this year. There goes our chance to really improve by free agency.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doesn't surprise me either, doesn't change the fact that he's a quitter. as far as i'm concerned it was money well spent just to get him out of here.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most annoying part about this is that they said we couldn't legally recoup because we cut him. So, nice move.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly worst franchise signing ever lol. What a bum this guy was.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
The most annoying part about this is that they said we couldn't legally recoup because we cut him. So, nice move.

"According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the NFL’s independent arbitrator ruled against the Packers because they waived him, which allowed New England to take over his contract and eliminated any chance for Green Bay to recover the signing bonus.

In other words, the Packers’ grievance failed because of the process, not merit."

This is what I find inexcusable on the part of the Packers front office. They should dock the legal consul the $2.1 million over each of the next two years.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crap. We waived him because of injury. And his contract with Pat's is different from what he signed with us. No way they can be linked. What a farce.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Remember the name "Martellus Bennett" when you scream for TT....I mean Gute...to sign more free agents. :coffee:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly worst franchise signing ever lol. What a bum this guy was.
He's a bum... but I think Tony Mandarich trumps him as worst signing... unless you are referring to free agents... in that case.... you may be right lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is awful news. Now we are out 4.2 mil this year. There goes our chance to really improve by free agency.

The Packers still have $16.5 million of cap space which they can use to improve the roster.

That's crap. We waived him because of injury. And his contract with Pat's is different from what he signed with us. No way they can be linked. What a farce.

The Patriots claimed Bennett off waivers resulting in the remaining terms of the contract aside of the signing bonus transferring to New England.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's the operative word, right? Irrespective of who he plays with currently, if we make the hiding an injury stick, we should be able to get the bonus back imo.

Unfortunately it seems the arbitrator doesn't agree.

Free Agents - a train load of pyrite sprinkled with a few nuggets of gold.

There's definitely risk involved when signing veteran free agents but there's no faster way to improve a team when using it in a smart way.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will appeal the Bennett decision; this from Mark Murphy.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots have released Bennett meaning that at least he won't earn $12.7 million over the next two years he was scheduled to make.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm admittedly biased, but the whole reasoning for not allowing GB to recoup bonus money is kind of dumb. I get it, they are going to side with players most times as bonus money is a buyer beware proposition. I'd have more respect for the decision If they just came out and said as much. Hey, we're for the little guy and not going to make him give money back.

But the reasonimg that because GB cut him, they can't get their money back? He disclosed an injury or he hid one, which was it? As far as I'm concerned, getting his quitting butt out of here was worth it, bit the guy told other teams he wasn't going to play until the Pats came up on the waiver wire and then played the same week he quit on his former team. I guess I don't need to replay it, but the whole reasoning seems weird.

So what if they cut him, he disclosed the injury before signing a contract or he hid it. Which was it? He quit, that's not in question

H

HardRightEdge

I highly doubt the Patriots releasing Bennett will have any affect on the Packers trying to recoup his signing bonus.
Once the cash money is paid, there's not much chance of getting it back. Teams have not even had much success in getting guaranteed money back that was not guaranteed for injury after a player is in fact injured. Even if they got the ruling, who's to say Bennett would actually pay it back? This thing could end up in civil court if the Packers chose to pursue it. And the NFL absolutely would not want that to happen given unknown apple-cart-tipping rulings that might emerge. Nothing good ever seems to happen for the NFL in civil court. And even if the Packers won in civil court there's still no guarantee Bennett would pay. People ignore civil penalties all the time which then takes you down the path of more civil action.

If Bennett did not give back the cash money, it is difficult to see how the Packers could reclaim the cap. Cash and cap are inextricably bound over time.

Further, if Bennett were to choose to retire, consider it a matter of "zero chance".

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is not our problem anymore so I don`t care.......

H

HardRightEdge

Is not our problem anymore so I don`t care.......
Packer management believes they have a $6.3 million problem. It's hard to argue that fact even if they're wasting their time trying to get it back.

$6.3 million back in the cap pool would pay Rodgers for about 3 games under his new deal, whenever that might get done. Every little bit helps.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packer management believes they have a $6.3 million problem. It's hard to argue that fact even if they're wasting their time trying to get it back.

$6.3 million back in the cap pool would pay Rodgers for about 3 games under his new deal, whenever that might get done. Every little bit helps.

As far as I know the Packers only tried to recoup the remaining prorated portion of Bennett's signing bonus which would have resulted in an extra $4.2 million of cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts