Marquez Valdes-Scantling

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I got curious and looked this up, so here is MVS this year, Lazard's 16 game pace this year, and Funchess from his best season to date (2017):

MVS: 33/690/6; 20.5 YPR; 52.7 catch %

Lazard: 53/723/5; 13.7 YPR; 71.7 catch %

Funchess: 63/840/8; 13.3 YPR; 56.8 catch %
Funchess imo is a guy that would be similar to Lazard in the role he would play on this team. I believe that he would definitely be behind Lazard next August and would initially be fighting St. Brown for a roster spot next year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Funchess imo is a guy that would be similar to Lazard in the role he would play on this team. I believe that he would definitely be behind Lazard next August and would initially be fighting St. Brown for a roster spot next year.

I think they signed him because of how many condensed formations Petals likes to run. These jumbo WR's (really not much difference between them and slot tight ends), are pretty necessary to make those condensed looks work. And they can be deadly in creating offense in which run and pass are indecipherable to the defense based on formation and alignment. We saw that on Saturday when Rodgers hit Lazard out of that condensed look. Rams were reading run on that all the way.

What I don't know is whether they would use two of those guys consistently. They very well might. I'm just not certain.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO Funchess is better than anyone not named Adams. How he will respond to the year off remains to be seen.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe Opt-Out players can
I agree...if he opt out I think he technically isnt a packer

Edit

Maybe he could?

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfls-opt-out-policy-how-it-works-who-not-playing-2020

How does the opt-out policy work?

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed on July 24 to an opt-out policy that gives the players an opportunity to skip the season and have their contracts moved to 2021. Every NFL player is allowed to participate in this program except undrafted rookies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right Pike (and thanks for the stats Dantes). Hopefully in the offseason they can draft a guy early with the ability to quickly get to the #2 WR, or they find a guy in FA. With so many FAs of our own, the second choice seems unlikely. And unless they get really lucky, considering other needs and where they'll be drafting, they'd need a good measure of luck to find a #2 WR in the draft.

I think Lazard still has room for improvement and refinement in his route running. He's the most likely guy to ascend (or stay) as the #2 WR. As for MVS, he's too valuable when he puts it all together to jettison, even after three seasons.

And as I think about this WR group, and that the Packers are pretty well positioned to get to the SB, it makes Rodgers's season all the more amazing. (And it certainly helped having a kick *** running group and O line.)

Anyway, unless a miracle happens, this is probably the WR group we'll see next year.

But first things first! Clobber Tampa Bay and get out Devin White's post-game comments for the bulletin board! (I'm guessing MLF has already done that.....)

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m ready and willing whenever you are baby.

I'll think about it over the weekend.

IMO Funchess is better than anyone not named Adams. How he will respond to the year off remains to be seen.

I highly doubt Funchess will be an upgrade over the current receivers behind Adams after basically two years out of football.

I wonder if Funchess is remotely sitting in on WR meetings this year?

No, players that opted out weren't allowed to participate in meetings.

Anyway, unless a miracle happens, this is probably the WR group we'll see next year.

I'm convinced Gutekunst will try to upgrade the receiver position next offseason one way or another.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are they able to receive videos of the meetings and do video chat with the coaches discussing it? Unofficially of course.

Well, they aren't allowed to but if you ask me if Belichick might have sent some footage of those meeting to the Patriots' players who opted out this season I wouldn't be surprised by it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced Gutekunst will try to upgrade the receiver position next offseason one way or another.

I am as well, now it may not be to the level many of us or most would desire. Will it be another Funchess level type or will he dab into the Day 1 or Day2 of the draft. Very curious how it plays out. Chris Olave was draftee I had red circled as he fit a TON of what Gute appears to like - but him declaring he is not coming out now removed him. There are some VERY exciting small jet sweep motion type guys that are YAC dudes I could see him loving for his system as well.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point you just keep him and go with it.

He's probably close to his ceiling but still on a relatively cost effective contract, similar to say Richard Rogers...I don't think he gets a second contract with us though

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will admit I was harsh on him. He came through when needed. Hope he continues to improve and be a top WR for us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness MVS has had three straight clutch and productive games in the receiving side of things, his primary growth however this year came in his route running and his blocking - he still remains hands away from being a serious cheat code and a legit #2. I still place his ceiling as a SOLID #3 and/or a #2B type guy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t see any problems with him yesterday again. He’s had a pretty good run in the last month or two. Seeing more confidence in his snatch grabs.

I too think we’ll draft a WR that is well suited for the slot as I don’t see either Ervin or Austin being a viable long term solution. If a more traditional WR is drafted early, I think we’ll see Adams in the slot on a lot more snaps next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

MVS definitely had a good game vs. the Bucs but hopefully the Packers front office doesn't put too much confidence in him based on it. The position is still in dire need of an upgrade.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he continues to improve, is more consistent, hell, if he plays like he did in the NFC title game it'll be a bargain.

Members online

Latest posts