Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not meant to support any position. I just checked myself where he is on the team in terms of target totals and decided to share the information.

Fair enough. Just that I rarely see a post on any of the forums that isn't trying to prove a point. Thanks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know I contribute to it as much as anyone, so there's a few fingers pointing back at me here, but does anyone else feel like we are in a never ending loop with this WR conversation?

The Packers should have drafted a WR!

The offense is still really good!

MVS isn't good enough to be a #2!

Funchess should have been here!

He drops too many passes!

MVS plays an important role in the offense!

I feel like we're playing tic tac toe. There aren't that many moves, everyone knows them, and it's a cat's game over and over and over again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fair enough. Just that I rarely see a post on any of the forums that isn't trying to prove a point. Thanks.

Sure. And if you read the rest of my posts, you'll see that I am certainly trying to prove a point-- that MVS, for all his shortcomings, was a good draft pick and is an important facet of the offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't matter as Lazard shouldn't be the #2 receiver on a Super Bowl contender either.

I stated disagreement with him being the labeled #2, but perhaps you didn't read the whole comment.

Actually it doesn't matter as Lazard shouldn't be the #2 receiver on a Super Bowl contender either.

MVS ranks 48th among all receivers drafted since 2015 in receptions in their first three seasons as well as 31st in yards.

As I mentioned, decent.

Decent LOL. The dude was a Day 3 pick...since 2015 let's talk about how many WRs have been drafted...and look at more than just targets, look at yards, yards per reception, catch %, snaps, games active and such. Even the one stat you listed doesn't illustrate decent, it illustrates well above decent - especially when weighed to a 5th round pick. 48 out of 197 drafted guys. That is just 48th when discussing targets, no receptions, not yards, not yards per catch or yards per target or anything but one small blip and even for a bottom of the 5th WR to be in the top 25% over a 5 year window is way more than someone should logically expect - the crazy thing is if he bumps his catching percentage up just 5% the dude would leap a ton more in many categories given the type of targets he typically receives.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I contribute to it as much as anyone, so there's a few fingers pointing back at me here, but does anyone else feel like we are in a never ending loop with this WR conversation?

The Packers should have drafted a WR!

The offense is still really good!

MVS isn't good enough to be a #2!

Funchess should have been here!

He drops too many passes!

MVS plays an important role in the offense!

I feel like we're playing tic tac toe. There aren't that many moves, everyone knows them, and it's a cat's game over and over and over again.

The one thing is though, most that despise MVS or feel he is worthless do so baseless of facts. The only statline which supports he is underachieving is his catch percentage and it honestly for folks averaging 16 yards or more per catch is not too far off base, since 2015 those in the league that fit that typically hover at or just shy of 60%

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for clarity, MVS is 4th on the Packers in terms of targets per game.

1. Adams: 10.6
2. Lazard:4.6
3. Jones: 4.5
4. MVS: 3.9
5. Tonyan: 3.7

Haven't read the whole thread, so just wondering what position this supports. He's the third WR listed but ahead of a TE with whom we're all impressed, so do we think he's better or worse because of this?

It's not meant to support any position. I just checked myself where he is on the team in terms of target totals and decided to share the information.

Sure. And if you read the rest of my posts, you'll see that I am certainly trying to prove a point-- that MVS, for all his shortcomings, was a good draft pick and is an important facet of the offense.

A. Now I'm really confused.

B. Seems like a pretty good argument NOT to read the rest of your posts, unless you somehow think supporting a position and proving a point aren't basically the same.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right about that but on the other side there's no reason to consider MVS in a class with Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs or Antonio Brown who were drafted in the fifth round or later as well.

Does anybody consider MVS in a class with those guys? Again, you’re making up an argument to fit what you want to hear.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right about that but on the other side there's no reason to consider MVS in a class with Tyreek Hill, Stefon Diggs or Antonio Brown who were drafted in the fifth round or later as well.

You're hate towards our WR situation is shining through and clouding reason. Not a single person would ever place MVS in that discussion, not even close. Because he is a rare case of way over shooting your draft spot, doesn't mean others haven't done it even more so....smh

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A. Now I'm really confused.

B. Seems like a pretty good argument NOT to read the rest of your posts, unless you somehow think supporting a position and proving a point aren't basically the same.

Ok, let me try to be clearer.

That one post you quoted in the first place, entirely on its own, was not meant to prove anything. It was just information.

But lest anyone think I'm claiming not to have a dog in the fight, I was just saying that the majority of my posts in this thread are arguments for an opinion that I hold.

Does that help?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is not a great WR. MVS is not a bad WR. Ideally, he’s not someone you really want to rely on to succeed. The GB offense has done very, very, well this year.

All of these things are true.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're hate towards our WR situation is shining through and clouding reason. Not a single person would ever place MVS in that discussion, not even close. Because he is a rare case of way over shooting your draft spot, doesn't mean others haven't done it even more so....smh

He’s not as good as some of the best wrs drafted in the later rounds ever! What a friggin bum!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is silly. Here’s the bottom line... The Packers are going into a playoff game today where their best wide receiver is likely to be shut out by what many consider to be the best corner in the NFL. The Packers are going to have to rely on the other guys to perform. This is not saying MVS is worthless... it is saying I’d be a lot more confident if the Packers had another top talent at the position. All the arguments for and against why they don’t have that guy are moot at this point, but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that the Packers should put more of a priority on it considering who their quarterback is. Yes, the system can do a lot to mitigate this and so can having a great quarterback, but having that second blue chip receiver sure would be nice right now as well.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are going into a playoff game today where their best wide receiver is likely to be shut out by what many consider to be the best corner in the NFL.
Overall nice post, but I wouldn't bet against Davante making a big impact in spots. Obviously Jalen Ramsey is the class of corners in the NFL, but Davante is the class of WR's in my view.

I think the Packers find ways for Davante to make a difference.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is silly. Here’s the bottom line... The Packers are going into a playoff game today where their best wide receiver is likely to be shut out by what many consider to be the best corner in the NFL. The Packers are going to have to rely on the other guys to perform. This is not saying MVS is worthless... it is saying I’d be a lot more confident if the Packers had another top talent at the position. All the arguments for and against why they don’t have that guy are moot at this point, but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that the Packers should put more of a priority on it considering who their quarterback is. Yes, the system can do a lot to mitigate this and so can having a great quarterback, but having that second blue chip receiver sure would be nice right now as well.

I think everybody here would love to have another blue chip receiver. But, we don’t. I’m not real sure we could have acquired one either, but that’s another discussion.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everybody here would love to have another blue chip receiver. But, we don’t. I’m not real sure we could have acquired one either, but that’s another discussion.
actually it seems to be the discussion debated in here for the last 2 years at least.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If mvs was playing circa 2011 when the Packers had Greg jennings, Jordy nelson, james jones, donald driver, randall cobb, jermichael finley...where would he have fit in ?

The only guy on that list I think he could compete for snaps with is james jones. Jones was a really good 3 at his ceiling and I think that's what mvs is at his ceiling. This season I'd call him a really good 4 although he held the spot of 2/3.

If the Packers draft a real guy high in the 2021 nfl draft an Chris olave, Terrance Marshall type guy maybe even an anthony Swartz. I'd expect that guy to be the 2 and mvs and Lazard to compete for the 3 and 4 spots. That gives you a pretty strong wr group along with adams.

But yeah wr is certainly a big need. It's been too long since they got that 2nd round star. Adams can't play by himself forever. Cb, ot, ilb, dl are the big needs along with wr

Members online