Malcolm Butler

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure everyone deserves a second chance, but they also deserve the repercussions of the first offense. Not sure what happened, but I admire BB for sticking to his principles, even in the most important game of the year. Running a tight ship is part of the reason for his success. Just like Lombardi, focus and discipline is a total and encompassing. Let some things slide and more will slide.

Dedication to principal may be a big factor in losing this SB but it also was a big factor in winning 5 SBs.

This will be talked about in his locker room for the rest of BBs career.
Exactly, BB has been successful for a reason and it wasn't by not holding people to certain standards

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Exactly, BB has been successful for a reason and it wasn't by not holding people to certain standards

Agreed. It starts at the top and if your top guy is wishy washy and flip flopping on policy, what kind of message does that send to all the people around and below him? Throughout history, there have been players that can't motivate themselves to be team players and throughout history, those are the guys that usually make the news when it finally backfires on them. I doubt any player wants to play on a team that is run so strict that it feels like they have just signed up for the armed forces, but I have rarely seen any NFL player complain about the expected standards being too tough.

If the speculation on Butler is true and he couldn't make curfew due to smoking a doobie, he needs to learn to check his bank account, read the team rules and realize it's time to grow up and be thankful he has the opportunity he has.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until/unless we know the real reason, it's tough to speculate, but I'd have to question the rationale of maintaining team discipline at the expense of the SB. The gold standard for this sort of thing to Packer fans is, of course, Vince, and (just off the top of my head) I don't remember him making that kind of move. If the Eagles hadn't been making the Pats defense look like ours, maybe, but keeping a starting CB on the bench (while playing him on special teams) is really a mystery to me - and, I would think to Pats fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Letting Butler play on special teams is definitely the head scratcher in all of this. One would think if BB was going to sit him for disciplinary reasons, it would apply to seeing any game action. But who am I to judge, I have 0 wins and 0 Super Bowl trophies.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated and will get PAID.

Pass.
he was rated #42 of 76. you're saying he's worse than 42? i don't think so. he's better than ANY of our guys. our guys were 55, 56, and 57. he played nearly 98% of the downs on the super bowl runner-up. i'm not saying sign him right now as others will come free but he's definitely a guy to consider. we didn't even have a guy who rated in the slot defender catagory...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754253-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-slot-defenders-of-2017-season

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
why missing curfew, had weed, and a girl in his room during the SB?

I would pass . Head not in right spot. unless this deflates his head

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why missing curfew, had weed, and a girl in his room during the SB?

I would pass . Head not in right spot. unless this deflates his head
I agree... however getting a big payday from another team is not likely to deflate his head.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was rated #42 of 76. you're saying he's worse than 42? i don't think so. he's better than ANY of our guys. our guys were 55, 56, and 57. he played nearly 98% of the downs on the super bowl runner-up. i'm not saying sign him right now as others will come free but he's definitely a guy to consider. we didn't even have a guy who rated in the slot defender catagory...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754253-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-slot-defenders-of-2017-season
If his price tag goes down, which it probably will, I'd take a look I guess. I just always found him overrated. He's not a shutdown CB1 or anything.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest rumor is that Butler struggled with the complexity of the defensive game plan that BB put together for the Eagles, so BB benched him.

Not good for Pettine's supposedly complex system.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Latest rumor is that Butler struggled with the complexity of the defensive game plan that BB put together for the Eagles, so BB benched him.

Not good for Pettine's supposedly complex system.

Interesting for a player that played and I believe started in the Patriots previous 18 games, he is all of a sudden overwhelmed by a new game plan.

That must have been some really potent *****. :coffee: :rolleyes:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Also that he was sick and that he kind of mouthed off to the coaches and Belichick!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his price tag goes down, which it probably will, I'd take a look I guess. I just always found him overrated. He's not a shutdown CB1 or anything.
shutdown...there are only a handful of those. don't think anyone claimed he was that...just that he's an upgrade over anyone we have. you have to pay for an upgrade at a position. no getting around that...except in the draft. the Packers can't afford to be cheap any longer.

Members online

Latest posts