Malcolm Butler

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks to be discarded by the Pats.

We should offer a 2 year contract?

Maybe past his prime, but still has lots to offer.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks to be discarded by the Pats.

We should offer a 2 year contract?

Maybe past his prime, but still has lots to offer.

I'd like to know more first.

He was noticeably absent in the Pat's biggest game of the year, there has to be a reason for that......

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Past his prime? He's only like 28, right? He should be right in his prime. The question is whether his prime is an upgrade over what we have now.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone on the Patriots forum speculated that he's a free agent and maybe Bilecheat was trying to drive down his price.

That's ridiculous. First, Seeing how Rowe fared against Jeffrey, it only served to show how important Butler was. Second, gambling on a SB for a contract renewal is beyond absurd. Third, it just made sure he'll leave them guaranteed!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone on the Patriots forum speculated that he's a free agent and maybe Bilecheat was trying to drive down his price.
Just goes to show, people will come up with anything to see if it gains traction. Why on earth would a coach bench a guy to drive down his cost by some secret rumor to make him cheaper to re-sign when you already know you're heading into the season next year needing to replace to long time and valuable coordinators. Let alone all the other transition that happens every offseason and all the injuries and crazy things that happen in season, why would he bet on that and not put it all in for the big game they were already guaranteed to play in right there right then?

Not a chance in hell Bill gambled on putting a weaker team on the field for a super bowl to try and save a couple bucks on attempting to sign a FA in the offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I heard he was a day late to Minny, no idea why, I’m sure it will come out.

He must have done something to really **** Bellichik off.
I'm sure it will come out sooner or later.

I agree with this. Maybe the hidden cameras that Bill has installed in each players home revealed something? :coffee:

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He must have done something to really **** Bellichik off.

The decision cost them the SB. Now what could a player have done for Bill to have taken such a drastic decision? Not turning up for training would be a big fine and I don't think BB would risk the SB for that.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Regardless, I would definitely be interested in the Packers acquiring Malcolm Butler.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Message seems to be "They lost faith in me"

It seems unlikely that, all other things being equal, he was not a better option than Eric Rowe.

If Belichick sits a player in that situation, there must have been a pretty good reason. Before I spent a dime on this guy, I'd want to know what it is, and then make my decision from there.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless, I would definitely be interested in the Packers acquiring Malcolm Butler.
Funny how the Patriots and their coaches are the "gold standard" in here. Whenever somebody wants to criticize the Packer's coaches and their "terrible record of not getting to enough Superbowls"... We are all told to look at the Patriots... and yet now we should just ignore that and swoop in and grab Butler even though it is obvious that Bellichick chose not to play him for a reason.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that, all other things being equal, he was not a better option than Eric Rowe.

If Belichick sits a player in that situation, there must have been a pretty good reason. Before I spent a dime on this guy, I'd want to know what it is, and then make my decision from there.
Suspect Bellichick will be gone. Rumors of conflict with Kraft taking Brady's side has created a rift. Not sure I believed until Kraft interview prior to SB. Asked how the future looked for Bellichick he said he would wait till the season was over before making a decisions. Not a ringing endorsement, which is shocking. Made me think rumors are true and he is leaving the Pats.

Not saying he tanked the SB by pulling a player, but maybe his decision was affected by the tensions. As in "Trade my future QB against my wishes, I'm still in charge of the team on the field if no longer the Front Office and I'm not putting up with any crap."

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I genuinely cannot believe he was benched for the Super Bowl. He did not have a great season and even last season I thought he was very overrated, but to bench a starting CB, for Eric Rowe which is a decent slot CB AT BEST even with Butler taking first team reps all week in practice, makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe Rowe had a better week in practice, but to not put Butler in for a single snap? Something happened here, even though Butler says the Patriots gave up on him and Bellichick says it was not disaplineary, I think there HAS TO be something more to this and we may never know what it is. If a player is beat out for a position, he is usually transitioned out to a smaller role. Regardless, this brings Butlers stock DOWN. Which is good for a team looking for a CB. Unfortunely, I do not think he is a good fit in Green Bay, unless you got him for a steal. He is still going to be looking for #1 CB money, but likely will not get it after being benched in the Super Bowl.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suspect Bellichick will be gone. Rumors of conflict with Kraft taking Brady's side has created a rift. Not sure I believed until Kraft interview prior to SB. Asked how the future looked for Bellichick he said he would wait till the season was over before making a decisions. Not a ringing endorsement, which is shocking. Made me think rumors are true and he is leaving the Pats.

Not saying he tanked the SB by pulling a player, but maybe his decision was affected by the tensions. As in "Trade my future QB against my wishes, I'm still in charge of the team on the field if no longer the Front Office and I'm not putting up with any crap."
Very interesting.
I'll be waiting to see how this plays out.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick hates it when players are late to team meetings. Perhaps that was the reason.

Jeffrey did get a few catches early in the game, but Rowe shut him down the rest of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't rule him out completely, but a couple things, I think he's ok as a DB. I don't think he's great. I'd really want to know what happened before signing him and I wouldn't be paying a lot of money to him as his name recognition and super bowl savior one year will still raise the price tag i'm sure even though his day in and day out play is rather mediocre I think. But I wouldn't automatically say no.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a report he missed curfew, got caught with weed and then had a meltdown with the coaching staff over it.

Not sure how reliable but if it' true I could see BB saying "take a seat" if it is

Members online

Latest posts