Malcolm Butler

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a report he missed curfew, got caught with weed and then had a meltdown with the coaching staff over it.

Not sure how reliable but if it' true I could see BB saying "take a seat" if it is
as he should have. He runs a tight ship. He takes on players others don't want, but he doesn't let them be anything other than what he wants them to be on the team.

I'll wait for more to come out to the truthfulness of this or not before saying more

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a report he missed curfew, got caught with weed and then had a meltdown with the coaching staff over it.

Not sure how reliable but if it' true I could see BB saying "take a seat" if it is
If true, I wouldn't sign him. Don't know he is all that much of an improvement anyway.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Funny how the Patriots and their coaches are the "gold standard" in here. Whenever somebody wants to criticize the Packer's coaches and their "terrible record of not getting to enough Superbowls"... We are all told to look at the Patriots... and yet now we should just ignore that and swoop in and grab Butler even though it is obvious that Bellichick chose not to play him for a reason.
Belichick is the best, but 1. he doesn't bat 1.000, no one does and 2. we don't know what his reasoning is for not playing him. It could have been him being late to a practice, it could have been an internal issue of some nature that we might not ever know about.

Regardless, the man has proven to be a key contributor for the Patriots and is a playmaker. That's a guy that I would love to have on this team. Maybe the details will come out later on why he was benched, but if it was a minor infraction, I'm not going to let it keep me from snagging a proven veteran playmaker.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick is the best, but 1. he doesn't bat 1.000, no one does and 2. we don't know what his reasoning is for not playing him. It could have been him being late to a practice, it could have been an internal issue of some nature that we might not ever know about.

Regardless, the man has proven to be a key contributor for the Patriots and is a playmaker. That's a guy that I would love to have on this team. Maybe the details will come out later on why he was benched, but if it was a minor infraction, I'm not going to let it keep me from snagging a proven veteran playmaker.
So now we need to know his reasons... so we can second Guess them... I'm pretty sure that once you start down that road you are ignoring the original argument. If Bellichick is the best ... and apparently nobody is able to emulate his success... how the heck do you know when it's OK to second guess his reasoning?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A PFF writer says that Butler missed curfew, was caught with weed and then had a meltdown when the coaches confronted him.

Yikes.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A PFF writer says that Butler missed curfew, was caught with weed and then had a meltdown when the coaches confronted him.

Yikes.
Hmm sounds like a great guy to have around the locker room... I'm sure that would really help Randle keep his head straight

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how the Patriots and their coaches are the "gold standard" in here. Whenever somebody wants to criticize the Packer's coaches and their "terrible record of not getting to enough Superbowls"... We are all told to look at the Patriots... and yet now we should just ignore that and swoop in and grab Butler even though it is obvious that Bellichick chose not to play him for a reason.

He's still a proven playmaker and played for 97.8% of their snaps this season. The benching was clearly not game performance related.

There are rumours that he was caught with weed and/or missed curfew...but Bill said it was not disciplinary related.

For me it appears to be a clash of ego and Butler's was nowhere close to Bill's. Perhaps a new team (us) will revitalize him.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. First, Seeing how Rowe fared against Jeffrey, it only served to show how important Butler was. Second, gambling on a SB for a contract renewal is beyond absurd. Third, it just made sure he'll leave them guaranteed!
I know. I think the poor guy was grasping straws.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it was worth it to Belichick to bench him because he violated the Patriot Way.

And yes, I wouldn't mind Butler in a Packers uniform next year. Just don't wear #36.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
There are quite a few possible CB free agents which makes me think he can be bought cheaper. He would more than fill Davon House's shoes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the reports of why he was benched are true or even if they aren't, there will be plenty of teams willing to overlook what happened and pay a lot more for Butler's services than the Packers will. I also wouldn't be in favor of blowing our cap on one guy who couldn't follow rules, at a position we have plenty of bodies to throw at and talent that may or may not be there under the new DC. Now if Pettine doesn't think the current group of CB's are skilled enough to be solid, maybe it is time to go FA shopping, but Butler wouldn't be my first choice.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So now we need to know his reasons... so we can second Guess them... I'm pretty sure that once you start down that road you are ignoring the original argument. If Bellichick is the best ... and apparently nobody is able to emulate his success... how the heck do you know when it's OK to second guess his reasoning?
You're all over the place.

I never said that whatever decision Belichick made was open for criticism, nor that I would second guess whatever decision he made. But unless Butler murdered someone, or beat up a teammate, or something serious that would result in locker room issues, I'm not going to let disciplinary action taint my view on what he could provide this football team.

No player is perfect and everyone deserves second chances. The punishment could very well fit the crime in this case, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to forgive him and look past it if he was sincere on not letting it happen again. He's been a great player for the Patriots and this is the first thing that I have heard negative about the kid. One mistake isn't going to make me immediately say that he's a player we shouldn't be interested in.

Some will come up with any reason in the world not to acquire top level performers. We need all we can get.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are grown men, not Caholic School Prep players. He smoked some ******, so what? He missed curfew, and? I'm sure there are plenty members here who have done far worse. Granted, yes they get paid millions of dollars to play a sport; but the most powerful person in the world allegedly works for free and he can't breathe without a lesson in manners!

I don't believe in overpaying for any player other than those who literally change your franchise or a player you already have. Butler is neither, but he does improve this team. If the money is right, I'd sign him.

That's part of this team's problem, we never take any risks on "character guys" (And I don't believe Butler to be one of them). I'm not saying throw money at every hooligan, but do your research and take a calculated risk. It does pan out every once in a while. What's the worse that could happen? He gets kicked out of the league? He's better than that Choir Boy you drafted out of the Pac-12 in the 3rd Round who can't cover a jar of grape jelly while he rides the bench for 4 years. (Pun Intended)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're all over the place.

I never said that whatever decision Belichick made was open for criticism, nor that I would second guess whatever decision he made. But unless Butler murdered someone, or beat up a teammate, or something serious that would result in locker room issues, I'm not going to let disciplinary action taint my view on what he could provide this football team.

No player is perfect and everyone deserves second chances. The punishment could very well fit the crime in this case, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to forgive him and look past it if he was sincere on not letting it happen again. He's been a great player for the Patriots and this is the first thing that I have heard negative about the kid. One mistake isn't going to make me immediately say that he's a player we shouldn't be interested in.

Some will come up with any reason in the world not to acquire top level performers. We need all we can get.
I agree with some of this .. .. however I'm not sure what you misunderstood... because I am definitely not "all over the place"...my point was very simple . If Bellichick is the only coach to "do it the right way blah blah blah... How does anyone feel confident in second guessing him?

As far as Butler is concerned personally I'm not sold on him as a top corner... but that is another issue altogether.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
These are grown men, not Caholic School Prep players. He smoked some ******, so what? He missed curfew, and? I'm sure there are plenty members here who have done far worse. Granted, yes they get paid millions of dollars to play a sport; but the most powerful person in the world allegedly works for free and he can't breathe without a lesson in manners!

I don't believe in overpaying for any player other than those who literally change your franchise or a player you already have. Butler is neither, but he does improve this team. If the money is right, I'd sign him.

That's part of this team's problem, we never take any risks on "character guys" (And I don't believe Butler to be one of them). I'm not saying throw money at every hooligan, but do your research and take a calculated risk. It does pan out every once in a while. What's the worse that could happen? He gets kicked out of the league? He's better than that Choir Boy you drafted out of the Pac-12 in the 3rd Round who can't cover a jar of grape jelly while he rides the bench for 4 years. (Pun Intended)

Not sure if you are saying he shouldn't have been benched or just advocating for the Packers to sign him?

What I do hear is, "put your own needs first" , "F-my teammates", "rules are for choirboys, they don't apply to me"?

I get it, we all have probably broken a rule or two, some of us even smoked or smoke pot. But seriously, you are condoning flipping your middle finger up at your team and saying, "dumb rules, I'm doing what I want". This wouldn't matter if the team rule was "suit coats and ties on the plane trip". You sign a contract, you play by the team rules or you don't play. You become less of a team player, you may lose playing time as well as $$ on your next contract. I wouldn't want guys on my team that weren't team players.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not second guessing how BB handled it if reports are true. The man knows how to get the best out of his players and has done so for a long time.

Those that are saying his "ego" lost the game just don't get it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree with some of this .. .. however I'm not sure what you misunderstood... because I am definitely not "all over the place"...my point was very simple . If Bellichick is the only coach to "do it the right way blah blah blah... How does anyone feel confident in second guessing him?
You are failing to read what I type. I'll try one more time.

I am not second guessing Bill Belichick. He has the right to discipline his players however he sees fit. I even said in the above post that the punishment could very well fit the crime. But again, that's not the issue. I'm saying that REGARDLESS of what is more than likely a fair punishment, everyone deserves a second chance. No one is perfect.

Hopefully this clears up whatever misinterpretations you have about my position because I'm not sure how it could be anymore clear.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am not second guessing Bill Belichick. He has the right to discipline his players however he sees fit. I even said in the above post that the punishment could very well fit the crime. But again, that's not the issue. I'm saying that REGARDLESS of what is more than likely a fair punishment, everyone deserves a second chance. No one is perfect.

Hopefully this clears up whatever misinterpretations you have about my position because I'm not sure how it could be anymore clear.
Lol I didn't fail to read or understand anything... which is why I said I agree with some of it. I was simply responding to your assertion that I was "all over the place" Which I was not.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still a proven playmaker and played for 97.8% of their snaps this season. The benching was clearly not game performance related.

There are rumours that he was caught with weed and/or missed curfew...but Bill said it was not disciplinary related.

For me it appears to be a clash of ego and Butler's was nowhere close to Bill's. Perhaps a new team (us) will revitalize him.

Maybe.

On the other hand, if you feed his ego and his wallet, the problem might become worse.

It's a gamble. A judgement call. One I don't have enough information to make.

We'll see what our new GM makes of all this.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My guess is that, regardless of what just happened, this ultimately comes down to a pattern of him acting out because he wasn’t given an extension after basically winning the Pats a Super Bowl. But all of that aside, he’s not my favorite target. BB castoffs scare me. No one is going to use players better than him. I don’t see the upside.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a report in the week leading up to the Super Bowl that Belichick doesn't accept excuses for being late - that if the player is in an accident on the way to the meeting or whatever, don't bother trying to explain because he doesn't want to hear it. Reminds me a bit of "Lombardi Time". Supposedly if you're late, you don't play, and Butler was late. I hadn't heard about the weed incident, but there probably is more to the story.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure everyone deserves a second chance, but they also deserve the repercussions of the first offense. Not sure what happened, but I admire BB for sticking to his principles, even in the most important game of the year. Running a tight ship is part of the reason for his success. Just like Lombardi, focus and discipline is a total and encompassing. Let some things slide and more will slide.

Dedication to principal may be a big factor in losing this SB but it also was a big factor in winning 5 SBs.

This will be talked about in his locker room for the rest of BBs career.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts