Lions At 4-0

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Saints at home will be brutal to get by. Yeah on the road they remind me of the Colts at times. We dominate at home a lot and you took us out and we are not built for it. Not that I like building a team meant for indoors, I hate it actually.

I can't ever count out the Giants. Not since 2007. They could get in and make serious noise but I don't see them winning it all right now but they could be the ultimate darkhorse the NFC is looking for if they keep it up. I am semi into the 49ers just based on Harbaugh.

I see the Lions as a playoff contender but not a SB contender yet. They will win games and get hyped to the max based on the story they have going on. And they should get praised but that is not the best team around either. They realistically should make the playoffs right now but it's still a long season.

Your passing D has gotten some flack but nobody is playing great defense to me. Your D has a clutch factor though that reminds me of some of the old Patriots D's of the last decade and can make big plays/stops when needed. I think they will be better when it really matters later on.

I think the Giants were extremely lucky to even win the Super Bowl. No doubt they are a good team, but they were one dropped interception by Samuel from making the Patriots 19-0.

Speaking of the Patriots D, I don't understand why they don't get flack. They sure nail us with how bad our D can be, but no one ever brings up how bad the Patriots are at stopping the pass. Last season they were ranked 31st in the league in passing defense. Then this year, they sure do give up a lot of passing yards still.

It's pretty bad when you go 14-2, lose the first round of the playoffs, then everyone starts to see how bad their D is at stopping the pass.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah I knew the Pats were a bit smoke and mirrors last year, at least I thought so. Brady had a miracle season with no picks but sooner then later the law of averages would catch up to him. I never had them winning the big one but I was not sure who would. When the Packers emerged by the end of the regular season I suspected it might be them even though many were pumping the Falcons/Eagles in the NFC. I felt the Bears were lucky last year winning the division and you all know that already.

Lions are very good and I do like them, but the Packers have one thing they don't; Aaron Rodgers. I have even gone as far as to say he gives me Joe Montana vibes even though it's still too early. Just a feel about Aaron, he just has those intangibles and he makes some plays at times that are just filthy.I was a Favre fan back in the day but Aaron impresses me way more. Keep this guy healthy, he has a chance to win multiple Super Bowls.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Ive seen you guys throw around that we havent played great teams.

Denver and Carolina are not great at all, the bears are on dallas' level as far as over-achieving hype/let down, and ill give you the saints, even though i think they get to much respect(not impressed with their D). Keep in mind, we have only played 1 home game this season. Still 7 left on the schedule!
The difference is that nobody is questioning whether the Pack is for real or not because we just won the Super Bowl.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just before the season started I posted a thread predicting that the Bears were going to be our worst rival.
Most of the replies picked the Lions.
Up to now, I was wrong and they were right.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive seen you guys throw around that we havent played great teams.

Denver and Carolina are not great at all, the bears are on dallas' level as far as over-achieving hype/let down, and ill give you the saints, even though i think they get to much respect(not impressed with their D). Keep in mind, we have only played 1 home game this season. Still 7 left on the schedule!
Any given Sunday.

Don't forget that the Panthers had us on the ropes for a little bit.

And let's be real here.
I'm willing to admit that the Packers have had an easy schedule and beaten weaker teams if you are for the Lions.
Lions blew out KC in the Lion's den.
Just like we did with the Broncos in Titletown.
Lions vs Tampa Bay and Minny? No problems there. Easy to beat teams. Even away.
I suppose your biggest challenge would be the Cowboys. Just like ours was the Saints.
See how similar our schedules are up to this point?

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they will not be taken lightly this year. In the matchups we lost b4, i think we came out and underestimated them. My expectations are just way too high for us to go out and blow this one. You cant defend our firepower even if they have good pass rush.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Lions are for real... winning in the Metrodome, and Cowboy Stadium and coming back from a big deficit says a lot about a team.
Yeah it says the Cowboys and the Vikings suck. Romo has no running game or he wouldn't of had to put up all those passes and the Vikings have shown they can't hold a lead. I think the lions are now the second best team in the NFC north but if we went into the second half with a 24 point lead do you think they would be able to make that ground up on us. Well I guess if Arod gets a concussion.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it says the Cowboys and the Vikings suck. Romo has no running game or he wouldn't of had to put up all those passes and the Vikings have shown they can't hold a lead. I think the lions are now the second best team in the NFC north but if we went into the second half with a 24 point lead do you think they would be able to make that ground up on us. Well I guess if Arod gets a concussion.

To be fair to the lions (I guess..) and the cowboys, the half was at 20-3. I donno, I really cant explain or come up with any half-*** excuse as to whats going on with these late starts, so I wont even try. The lions set an NFL record coming back from two 20+ point deficits on the road back to back. You would think that a team would have done that before but good teams dont get down by 20, and its only those same good teams that have the ability to come back.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most likely not, but being able to come back from huge deficits like that definitely says a lot about a football team. Remember when we we're down 13-0 against the Panthers? Great teams if down, usually find ways to win the game, and there's no difference with the Lions.

The team has a respectable defense, and Stafford is going to be a stud in the NFL. He's the best young QB in the NFL. They went 6-10 without Stafford last year. They lost to Green Bay 28-26 in a close game last year, and beat them 7-3 in Ford Field. This team is for real. Regardless if the Vikings, and Cowboys are garbage, winning in the Metrodome, and Cowboys Stadium is a big deal.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You can't count that second win last year. But your right, Stafford is the real deal but you can't make a living coming back from 20+ point deficits. I am glad we have another 7 weeks of games before we play them.I can't wait for that game. In the NFC north, there can be only one. I am just hoping that it doesn't come down to the game on new years day. I am hoping a boat for Cabo.

They are going to be our rivals for the next several years. I'm glad for the people of Detroit. They have supported this team for a long time without a winner. Kinda like the 70 and 80's packers.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
You can't count that second win last year.

RCC, I really don't want to be picky and I really don't want to start anything, but what do you mean "You can't count that second win last year"? Did they not win? Did we not lose? Did I miss something? Injuries are a part of the game; a big part of the game, and the fact that we lost Rodgers in that game does not mean it doesn't count. I am not positive, but I think Stafford was out with an injury in that second game, if we had won, does that mean our win would not have counted? If it does, do we have to "not count" the games that we won because other teams suffered "key" injuries? It doesn't matter what the "cause" the "reason" or the excuse; it still counts as a loss. The Lions were starting to come together already at that point last year and they are still riding the wave of a great winning streak. Not only is Stafford "the real deal" I think that the Lions as a whole are "the real deal."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stafford remains upright and playing, they are very good....Do not be surprised if they beat us both times this year..

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
RCC, I really don't want to be picky and I really don't want to start anything, but what do you mean "You can't count that second win last year"? Did they not win? Did we not lose? Did I miss something? Injuries are a part of the game; a big part of the game, and the fact that we lost Rodgers in that game does not mean it doesn't count. I am not positive, but I think Stafford was out with an injury in that second game, if we had won, does that mean our win would not have counted? If it does, do we have to "not count" the games that we won because other teams suffered "key" injuries? It doesn't matter what the "cause" the "reason" or the excuse; it still counts as a loss. The Lions were starting to come together already at that point last year and they are still riding the wave of a great winning streak. Not only is Stafford "the real deal" I think that the Lions as a whole are "the real deal."

I meant that as an indicator of how they stack up against the pack that game cannot really be used. We lost Rodgers in the middle of the game. It's a different story when you have a backup QB who prepares with the first team, for a game as opposed to being pressed into service in the middle of the game. I reference the New England game. final was 7-3 in Detroit, if Arog finishes we win easily. But that is history. We are a different team, a better team this year and while the Lions are definatley on the rise and are not to be taken lightly, they are not of our caliber yet.

Barring another run of injuries like we had last year, how good do you think our offense will be in 7 weeks and how much improved do you think our defense will be. Johnson is a big threat but after him there is a pretty good fall off. I wonder what Sir Charles's vertical leap is these days?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The Pack weakness right now is the secondary.....Lions can toss it up

I would agree wholeheartedly with that assessment. The one thing I would point out to bring hope is how well we have done in the Red Zone -- even our pass defense.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
it

I can't argue with that statement. But, wouldn't you say the same thing about our offense? I don't think the Lions secondary is weak, I just think our offense can put up more points against their D than the Lions offense can put up against our D. I still think it's going to be a close game, win by less than 7.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
it

Big picture is most secondarys are weak right now. The passing stats thru the first 4 weeks show that. I and still think that is becuase of the lockout, shortened camp, no two a days and half the padded practices for tackling technique.

We have been improving each week, we are tied at first with the Bills in interceptions (thanks to Brady) and we are in the top 10 in forced fumbles and recoveries.I think the bigger issue with our secondary has been our inability to get to the QB. No secondary can keep tight coverage up for long. If the QB has time someone will get open and it gives the long plays a chance to develop.

Does anyone know of any sites that track play by play what the base defense was? I'd be interested to see on paper how many times we were only using two down lineman and which blitz packages we used and the results. It would be pretty interesting info to look at. At any rate, 7 weeks to the Lions and a lot of football in between.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys it has occured to me, there are babies in this world that have never seen the lions lose after we beat the Packers!

Members online

Latest posts