Last Play of the Game

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
perry thought the play was dead but it wasn't. could perhaps have run it back for a td had he not stopped.

He doesn't need to go run it for a TD. Just fall to the damn ground. Fall on it and be done with it.

How is even possible that a few million Wisconsinites sitting at home screaming at the TV, many of whom have put down a 6 pack or more by this point, know that the play is not over simply by a defender picking up the football, while Nick Perry, who has played football presumably his entire life and is being paid 60 million dollars to do so for us, does not know this?

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't need to go run it for a TD. Just fall to the damn ground. Fall on it and be done with it.

How is even possible that a few million Wisconsinites sitting at home screaming at the TV, many of whom have put down a 6 pack or more by this point, know that the play is not over simply by a defender picking up the football, while Nick Perry, who has played football presumably his entire life and is being paid 60 million dollars to do so for us, does not know this?

Late in games, lateral plays often end after the ball hits the ground and the non fumbling player picks it up, per NFL rules. That's probably why Perry stopped.

In fact, it wasn't just Perry. Many of the players on both teams stopped.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late in games, lateral plays often end after the ball hits the ground and the non fumbling player picks it up, per NFL rules. That's probably why Perry stopped.

In fact, it wasn't just Perry. Many of the players on both teams stopped.

That only applies to a forward fumble which in this case would be a forward lateral and game over anyway.

If the player(s) who just decided to stop aren't familiar with that rule, I'd highly suggest they learn it before they cost their team a game on a fluke play. Or, just play to the whistle, it's not that hard.

All the action before Perry ending up with the ball was legal and there was no reason for the play to stop regardless of how many individual players decided to stop.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That only applies to a forward fumble which in this case would be a forward lateral and game over anyway.

If the player(s) who just decided to stop aren't familiar with that rule, I'd highly suggest they learn it before they cost their team a game on a fluke play. Or, just play to the whistle, it's not that hard.

All the action before Perry ending up with the ball was legal and there was no reason for the play to stop regardless of how many individual players decided to stop.

Go until you hear the damn whistle! I mentioned it before and I think you did as well, drives me nuts when guys who have been playing football most of their lives, don't understand a simple rule. I can't imagine the heat Perry would be taking, had that gone bad and Dallas scores. Clay Matthews got up off the ground and delivered a crushing hit on the Cowboy who took the ball from Perry.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody mentions Clay Mathews no holds barred hit on the otackle to end the game? A far stretch from jogging along with the play to end the season a couple years ago... he stuck that otackle like a didn't realize he was 100 pounds bigger than he was. Lol
Looked painful. Bone jarring.... I appreciated it, and just hope he didn't hurt himself... Clay has been playing very good imo

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That's about how I remembered it, but I guess saying he just missed a 75 yard walk off TD against our defense may have been engaging in an exaggerated claim not meant to be taken seriously. I wonder if there is a word for that?
What do you not understand about "could have resulted in"? How in the world is that engaging in hyperbole? It's not an absolute statement, whereas your statement was absolute, as in "everything is this, everything is that".

To my memory, there was one person between Beasley and the endzone. From there, it becomes a game of can Beasley outrun that one defender? Can he make that one defender miss? Will others be able to recover and catch him?

I think you're confusing 'could have' and 'would have' here. But, you know, anything to exaggerate your point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, ok. LOL

just because you don't recognize what you're doing doesn't mean it's not happening :) I meet ridiculousness with the same. Hence the hyperbole. which brings me back to the point that started all of it and brings into question, was it really hyperbole? Because you bring up this statement and qualify it with "could have" knowing full well your intention was to bring out another instance where you can say "see, this defense sucks and is just lucky" followed up by your apparent viewing of all sorts of people "egregiously" defending the defense when all anyone was really doing was pointing out that all wasn't gloom and doom. There were a few things to take away from the game that weren't bad. but to you, that was an egregious defense. sounds like exaggerated statement or claim not meant to be taken literally. you already know the word for it. LOL

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
oh, ok. LOL

just because you don't recognize what you're doing doesn't mean it's not happening :) I meet ridiculousness with the same. Hence the hyperbole. which brings me back to the point that started all of it and brings into question, was it really hyperbole? Because you bring up this statement and qualify it with "could have" knowing full well your intention was to bring out another instance where you can say "see, this defense sucks and is just lucky" followed up by your apparent viewing of all sorts of people "egregiously" defending the defense when all anyone was really doing was pointing out that all wasn't gloom and doom. There were a few things to take away from the game that weren't bad. but to you, that was an egregious defense. sounds like exaggerated statement or claim not meant to be taken literally. you already know the word for it. LOL
You clearly either don't understand or don't care to understand. Shocking.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, ok :)

Then you tell us, on a play that most people i've talked to remember as at best, putting them in a position to go for a Hail Mary being the worst thing to happen and you remember it as "just missed" what "could have been" a 75 yard walk off TD against our defense was supposed to be an indictment on? because to me, it seems like you're taking one more shot saying, we got luck, the defense did nothing. since i'm slow and dimwitted, you tell us, in in the most plain English you can. Remember, you're talking to common folk here, and I barely qualify as that, what was your intent on saying that? Because if it was just say well that "could have happened" I can pull out any play of the game and used a "could have happened" as unlikely as it may be and it wouldn't mean anything. In which case, why did you even say it?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
oh, ok :)

Then you tell us, on a play that most people i've talked to remember as at best, putting them in a position to go for a Hail Mary being the worst thing to happen and you remember it as "just missed" what "could have been" a 75 yard walk off TD against our defense was supposed to be an indictment on? because to me, it seems like you're taking one more shot saying, we got luck, the defense did nothing. since i'm slow and dimwitted, you tell us, in in the most plain English you can. Remember, you're talking to common folk here, and I barely qualify as that, what was your intent on saying that? Because if it was just say well that "could have happened" I can pull out any play of the game and used a "could have happened" as unlikely as it may be and it wouldn't mean anything. In which case, why did you even say it?
Again you don't get it.

Of course my point was to highlight another deficiency in the defense. But my pointing out that if Prescott throws a better ball that we could have been looking at a walk off TD situation is not hyperbole at all. Go back and look at the film. Beasley was wide open with one defender to miss.

It's clear you don't really understand hyperbole. That's okay. I don't have to engage in hyperbole to describe a bad performance for this defense.

I'm done.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
later, but before you go, I don't have a copy of the film, can you post a clip?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. Trying to teach you and Dantes to do your own research. ;)
Weak sauce man, weak. I've looked at every highlight reel that google would bring me. If you can't find me one, or don't have one. That's fine. Just say so. I can admit I don't have it, nor have I been able to find it. If I was able to I would have posted the link. Since you apparently have it, lesson learned. I looked but am too stoopid to find it. So pretty please just share it so we can see again how lucky we were.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Weak sauce man, weak. I've looked at every highlight reel that google would bring me. If you can't find me one, or don't have one. That's fine. Just say so. I can admit I don't have it, nor have I been able to find it. If I was able to I would have posted the link. Since you apparently have it, lesson learned. I looked but am too stoopid to find it. So pretty please just share it so we can see again how lucky we were.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

It's on my DVR. Can't help you. I record every Packers game.

Reaction score
Upon a closer look in that last play I think Poker is correct.
The rule states that it becomes a forward pass (play over) at the point at which any player catches the ball closer to the opponents goal line than the point on the field the ball was thrown.
The Elliott throw was a forward pass by at least 1 yard and would've resulted in game over.
They had to score to win
All scoring plays would be automatically reviewed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Upon a closer look in that last play I think Poker is correct.
The rule states that it becomes a forward pass (play over) at the point at which any player catches the ball closer to the opponents goal line than the point on the field the ball was thrown.
The Elliott throw was a forward pass by at least 1 yard and would've resulted in game over.
They had to score to win
All scoring plays would be automatically reviewed.

Still glad it didn't make it to the review process! Have watched it a couple times and the camera angle FOX had seems to show Elliott's first pitch to Dax being a forward pass, but never want to rely on the refs to figure that one out! Although, I will say, had the Cowboys somehow scored on that play and while the players, Jerry Jones, and fans celebrated, they ruled that there was a forward lateral, Packers win, I might have loved the victory even more LOL Especially, if I could have seen a live feed of Skip ****less's reaction.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

oh absolutely! was just saying. he could have added some insult to injury and who would have objected to that? lol

D

Deleted member 6794

oh absolutely! was just saying. he could have added some insult to injury and who would have objected to that? lol

There's no reason for doing that though. Just get on the ground and secure the win.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was nervous about that fourth and one attempt near midfield in the third quarter. That pitch out to Jones was a brilliant call. Jones looks to be a good cut back runner and can beat defensive players on the edges.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was nervous about that fourth and one attempt near midfield in the third quarter. That pitch out to Jones was a brilliant call. Jones looks to be a good cut back runner and can beat defensive players on the edges.

You and me both. At first, I actually thought they were going to try the old overused and rarely works "draw them offsides" play, but I think when they had to burn a timeout and came back out I knew the play was going to happen. Smart play call, since I doubt sending anyone up the middle of that Dallas Dline would have gotten us the first down. In that situation I still like the play I have seen them call a few times......fake handoff and naked bootleg with a TE sneaking off the line. Rodgers has the option to run it or a quick pass to the TE.

Reaction score
Still glad it didn't make it to the review process! Have watched it a couple times and the camera angle FOX had seems to show Elliott's first pitch to Dax being a forward pass, but never want to rely on the refs to figure that one out! Although, I will say, had the Cowboys somehow scored on that play and while the players, Jerry Jones, and fans celebrated, they ruled that there was a forward lateral, Packers win, I might have loved the victory even more LOL Especially, if I could have seen a live feed of Skip ****less's reaction.
Oh yeah, we would've lost the review with our luck. We were also very lucky we didn't get penalized on our HC. Watch the end of that play.. McCarthy was at least 5 yards onto the field before the play was over casually walking around with his clipboard! I know it's tough to be patient to let the game finish but c'mon Mike!:tdown:Amazing

Members online

Latest posts