Lane Taylor placed on IR

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Per Rapoport and then reiterated/confirmed by Demovsky.

Wow. Didn't see this one coming. I wanted Jenkins to start, but Taylor would've been really good for depth in case of emergencies. He hasn't been playing well, but at least he has familiarity with the team and is a veteran.

***Also - the Packers have signed G/T Adam Pankey from the Titans' practice squad.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think you got yours in before me. Mods please merge.

This is an interesting development to say the least.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Lane Taylor one of our better offensive linemen? I think I'm confusing him for someone else, that's why I'm asking. How big of a blow do you guys imagine this to be?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought he was amazing but he's looked way worse this year than 2016. I guess we'll see what the new guy is made of.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Isn't Lane Taylor one of our better offensive linemen? I think I'm confusing him for someone else, that's why I'm asking. How big of a blow do you guys imagine this to be?

Jenkins was probably going to overtake Taylor anyway, so this isn't that big of a blow as far as starters go, but it still doesn't help with depth.

Out of the 5 starting O-Linemen, no offense Lane, but you would be my first choice if one had to be injured.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Think you are confusing him with Jim Taylor, but Jim Taylor was an awesome FB for the Packers in the 60's.

Taylor had a bad season last year, some attributed it to injuries and this season he wasn't playing that well either.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess his injury was worse than originally expected.

Rob Demovsky
@RobDemovsky

·
1m

Lane Taylor is headed to injured reserve. So the left guard job belongs Elgton Jenkins for as long as he can keep it. Versatile backup Adam Pankey takes Taylor's spot on the 53. http://espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41077507-4
Kind of intersting that Pankey was signed off the Titan's PS instead of promoting Braden. Frankly, I forgot Pankey wasn't on the Packers PS.

I suppose if the transition to Jenkins was going to happen sooner or later, which it was, better now than later to work out the kinks. I would not be crazy about sticking him in cold in Week 4 against Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I forgot Pankey wasn't on the Packers PS.

Was really nice of the Titans to hold on to him for us, I hope they kept him well fed. I actually was a bit surprised that the Packers didn't try to resign Pankey to their PS after the cut downs. Maybe they did and he saw a better shot with the Titans?

Anyway, he may not be the best available backup G out there, but he probably is the most familiar with the Packer offense of those available to sign.

H

HardRightEdge

Was really nice of the Titans to hold on to him for us, I hope they kept him well fed. I actually was a bit surprised that the Packers didn't try to resign Pankey to their PS after the cut downs. Maybe they did and he saw a better shot with the Titans?

Anyway, he may not be the best available backup G out there, but he probably is the most familiar with the Packer offense of those available to sign.
Myabe the Titans offered him more money. There's nothing to stop a team from paying more than the PS minimum. Every once in a while you'll hear of a guy getting paid $400,000 or some such on a PS.

Anyway, the Packers kept Madison and Patrick to back up at OG, so it's not like Pankey would be the first guy off the bench. It does beg the question, "why so many OGs?" on the roster to start with while adding Pankey to stay 5 deep?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i agree...but why wouldn't they go for the best available? that seems odd to me. is there not a guard on the rams ps, for example, that's better? maybe he really is the best available.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Myabe the Titans offered him more money. There's nothing to stop a team from paying more than the PS minimum. Every once in a while you'll hear of a guy getting paid $400,000 or some such on a PS.

Anyway, the Packers kept Madison and Patrick to back up at OG, so it's not like Pankey would be the first guy off the bench. It does beg the question, "why so many OGs?" on the roster to start with while adding Pankey to stay 5 deep?

If I had to guess, they view Jenkins as Linsley's backup at C. So while Jenkins will now be playing LG, he could be asked to slide over at any moment of a game.

I actually like how deep the Packers are trying to stay on the OL and while maybe there are other guys out there that are technically better than Pankey, he is familiar with the offense, can play G or T and that can be a great value to the team 2 games into the season.

I also don't think Madison is ready to play or at least ready to play well. I think he probably has the potential to be pretty decent and they didn't want to risk loosing him by cutting him and trying to get him to the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i agree...but why wouldn't they go for the best available? that seems odd to me. is there not a guard on the rams ps, for example, that's better? maybe he really is the best available.

I think you answered your own question with a post you made just before it?

the panky move makes sense though. familiarity...a known quantity.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to guess, they view Jenkins as Linsley's backup at C. So while Jenkins will now be playing LG, he could be asked to slide over at any moment of a game.

I actually like how deep the Packers are trying to stay on the OL and while maybe there are other guys out there that are technically better than Pankey, he is familiar with the offense, can play G or T and that can be a great value to the team 2 games into the season.

I also don't think Madison is ready to play or at least ready to play well. I think he probably has the potential to be pretty decent and they didn't want to risk loosing him by cutting him and trying to get him to the PS.
at one point during camp i think it was MLF that said they had jenkins penciled in as everyone's backup. lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yeah but familiarity doesn't really mean best available. there might be someone with better measurables, more experience in that O. you know what i mean.

Right, but we are talking about going out and finding a backup, not a starter. Right now, unless you trade something of value (pick/player), you aren't going to get a guy off another teams 53 man roster. I have to guess that Gute didn't see any decent street FA OL players and viewed Pankey, who played both G and T for the Packers in the Past, the best value signing for what the Packers need him for, an emergency and a guy that they don't have to wait around on to see if he can learn the Packer offense. Basically, they get a very well known commodity in Pankey.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Downside-- the Packers lose a guy who is a solid starter if needed.

Upside-- if you're going to lose a starter, the best case scenario is that you lose one that's being overtaken anyhow.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many players can you return from IR? Is it after 6 weeks or how long?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Adam Pankey $306,000 to be on the Titan's PS.

I could be wrong, but I think that is what he would have made, had he been on it for 17 weeks, he was paid $18,000 per week.

However, that was considerably more than the $8,000/week that most of the Packer PS members are paid.

None the less, he is making more now by being on the Packers 53.

Members online

Latest posts