A Gute-tastic Mock Draft

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*After some sensical disagreement over the trades being actually truly possible or not I did add in the comments an updated mock, one trade - which is 100% plausible from both directions and stays in the Gute-ish vein.

This week's installment of a mock draft of mine involves the one thing Gute has shown tendencies to do, which is not draft in the first round where he is slotted (he has only done this once). He's either traded up or traded back out of it...so let's get this bad boy started:

After placing calls to trade up and try and get THE wide out Gute likes (after not making that happen in 2020) all go for naught...#29 comes and a trade still happens but this time back. They passed on a QB at 12 as all but Jones of the 5 were gone...BUT Mac is still there when 29 rolls up and they look to have that 5th year option and potentially have an out from Jimmy G immediately or after the 2021 season which is rumored to be their desire.

#29 - Is traded away to the 49ers for their 2022 First Round Pick + this year's #117 in the Fourth Round.

When this trade happens, most pundits predict it won't be long till we see Gute move again with all the equity he has.

It is only 4 picks later when a "Trade" happens and sure enough Green Bay has traded the Jaguars for their #33 pick of the 2021 draft. Packers trade their first rounder of the 2022 draft (betting that 49ers pick will be better) and the #215 pick in the Sixth of this year's. This trade makes sense with the Jags having already picked two guys in the first (Lawrence and Teven Jenkins in this mock) while also still holding the 45th.

#33 - CB Greg Newsome II 6'1" 190lbs Northwestern
Newsome, everyone on this board knows is a guy I have ranked higher than some, but I loved hearing the Packers had Newsome on a virtual meeting already. That all, mixed with our need opposite Jaire makes this pick gold position wise.

Towards the end of the 2nd, word on the street is the Seahawks are shopping their pick in order to get more picks back - having very very few at hand. Gute has had his eye on two prospect's he is surprised with each pick is still out there...he snatches the Seahawks pick - while giving up a solid amount, some argue too much - but not wanting to give up his #62 it is clear the Seahawks got a solid amount back. Packers send a 4th (#142), 5th (#178) this draft plus our 3rd in the 2022 draft to get the rights to the #56 pick.

#56 - WR Nico Collins 6'4" 215lbs Michigan
Folks may never know why, but 2020 Gute never could get a trade he wanted to get a WR (although we know he tried). With how well AR played last year, the ending contracts throughout the WR room, draft equity most likely coming back in 2022 comp picks and the window of Super Bowl still open he makes it happen. Nico is a BIG time receiver by all who actually studies his tape and looks past the lack of any true talent at the QB position he has dealt with...and then opt out in 2020. Big, quick, skilled guy that is personally a favorite of mine.

#62 - LB Jabril Cox 6'3" 233lbs LSU (N. Dakota State)
He is everything we'd hoped Burks was capable of, but with the ability to actually do more than just move. Cox is my personal LB 3 in the draft. He immediately upgrades the LB room and his joining of Barnes and Martin I truly think can be incredibly special.

#92 - iDL Alim McNeil 6'2" 315lbs NC State
We see another pre-draft interview get their named called by Green Bay. Anyone watching Alim's tape will be hard pressed to find anything that needs more than polishing and growth - there isn't any gaps or holes. Somewhere Kenny Clark and Keke are beaming hearing this pick. Run defense just got a major upgrade.

#117 - Edge Daelin Hayes 6'3" 261lbs Notre Dame
Everyone knows I'm an Irish fan and have been knocking on Hayes door on the forums that he is well worth an early Day 3 investment and his Senior Bowl tape confirmed it 100%. He has that hyrbid ability to live in a 2 point or 3 point stance situationally and does a strong job of setting the edge typically given his fully developed frame.

#135 - OT Walker Little 6'7" 309lbs Stanford
Had he not been injured in 2019 and then opting out of 2020, I firmly believe he had a shot at being the OT#3 in this draft...but the unknowns and time since his last play is what has him firmly going no higher than the 3rd to many and to most living in that round 4 range. He may not instantly start given what we have, but I do believe he is a starting level NFL player for sure if he at all is healthy and ready to go because the dude was special before his 19' injury! (Brady Christenson was the other strong option here at OT)

#174 - RB Jermar Jefferson 5'9" 215lbs Oregon State
Very productive back that quite a few of us on this board are fan of right around this area. He produced some serious yardage in college, and would offer a change of pace and style to Dillon or really whomever is in that RB room to start the season.

#221 - WR Jaelon Darden 5'9" 170lbs North Texas
Gute showed the world he will actually look at a WR that isn't over six foot by interviewing Rondale Moore before the draft...so this deep in the draft we have a small school version of Rondale. His frame is tiny but this dude has chops when he has the ball no one can argue against. We take a flyer on a later rounder that at minimum could become the jet sweep motion type role and make a case for return and/or slot time in the future.

#250 - OT Ben Petrula 6'5" 325lbs Boston College
Prospect from a great lineman school and has held a role at RT for two seasons, and did one at Center. His experience, build and versatility screams top shelf a Lane Taylor type or floor a Lucas Patrick type maybe....either way lot to like at this stage in the draft despite realistically not expecting anything first year for sure.

Notes/Takeaways of this mock:

9 Picks Happen - 5 offense and 4 defense...only 1 offensive in our first 5 picks though.

Weaknesses: While the offensive side of the ball saw a lot of love, arguably the biggest potential issue with this draft is not seeking a top shelf surefire Tackle or interior guy in any of our first three high picks and waiting clear till the end of the 4th to attempt to address it. Sure Little could very well provide snaps or even injury time starts for us in 2021 but some will be skeptical for sure.

Strengths: The moving Gute does is beautiful in essentially picking at 33 instead of 29 while trading a 6th rounder for a higher 4th rounder...I mean....genius and very Gute style. Our defense arguably adds 3 starter or high level contributors out the gate in Newsome, Cox and McNeil - but also Hayes is a guy fully capable with his frame not needing a year to develop and can contribute in a dependable depth role.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just noticed another observation which strengthens the thought of this being even more "Gute-ish"

3 guys are actually interviews we've already done that I just confirmed: Newsome, Hayes, Jefferson

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed another observation which strengthens the thought of this being even more "Gute-ish"

3 guys are actually interviews we've already done that I just confirmed: Newsome, Hayes, Jefferson
Do you have a link to a list of guys the Packers have interviewed?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, the one pick of this mock draft which one could easily make a valid counter-argument with me on is that we don't need to use that high of a pick on an ILB....Kamal Martin was the second highest ranked rookie linebacker and was the ONLY rookie that graded higher than 60.0 as a run defender, blitzer and in coverage.

The case is there that Gute and the Packers, with some reason, feel they have their future between him and the coming of age story of Barnes out of no where.

I tend to believe Cox is special enough to warrant the pick without question - and was the clear #1 on my board at the pick.

Some curious may want to know what OL I chose Cox over that some "may" argue deserved consideration....clearly in my mind none worthy of that pick...and not a single Tackle was available worthy:

Trey Smith - iOL Guard
Josh Myers - iOL Center
Aaron Banks - iOL Guard
Ben Cleveland - iOL Guard

Likewise iDL:
Tommy Togiai
Marlon Tuipulotu
Osa Odighizuwa

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the players. Don’t think the trade is very realistic.

Which one? I'm assuming the 49er one, as the other two are IMO easily likely scenarios.

Honestly, the NY Giants, Jags and Seahawks are the three teams in the 2nd round I have circled as for sure teams Gute needs to see and call on a move to theirs given each teams situations.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which one? I'm assuming the 49er one, as the other two are IMO easily likely scenarios.

Honestly, the NY Giants, Jags and Seahawks are the three teams in the 2nd round I have circled as for sure teams Gute needs to see and call on a move to theirs given each teams situations.

Honestly, both.

Teams don’t trade as much as mock drafters think, imo.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, both.

Teams don’t trade as much as mock drafters think, imo.

While one rarely gets the mock ups correct, Gute has consistently illustrated even in a very small sample size to believe in the practice of it.

2018 - Traded back out of the 14th overall to only then also trade back up just four picks later at 18th while sending the 76th and 186th along with the 27th.

He wasn't done that year though and traded up again to the 88th pick.

2019 - We traded up the 30th, 114th and 118th to get the 21st pick.

2020 - Traded up in the first sending also a 5th along to do so.

I wouldn't necessarily think I'd nail trade ups squarely or perfectly, but this is 100% a mock in the vein of what Gute has illustrated.

Honestly erase all but the Seahawks trade and the players picked don't change much Nico trade still makes sense and that would mean we don't have the #117 and no Daelin Hayes - still a great mock and very much fitting for Gute.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I have to tell you, I did not even see this before sharing my mock and they are eerily similar. I actually made the mock yesterday, then did the write up on my lunch break today. Obviously, I love this because you found a way to get my favorite CB (that will realistically be available) and LB in the entire draft. I am happy with Nico Collins because that is my married last name and I can get myself a Collins jersey next season.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the trades seem a little unrealistic. I could see the 49ers committing a 2nd and a 4th, but not their 1st. It'd have to be a player who REALLY slid for that to make sense, especially considering the 49ers may look for a QB in 2022. For what it's worth, I think Newsome could be had in the middle of the 2nd, I'd like it if Gute made a move in the 2nd for the BPA in a need position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of posting so quickly behind another mock….but after logical skepticism of the trade scenarios let’s look at a mock that is far more predictable and yet does include a Gute trade – something he has pretty much guaranteed will happen every year, only one trade happens, but for a player we’ve met with and rumor is we love:

#29 – Greg Newsome II – Cornerback - Northwestern

Asante is off the board and Gute goes to his next favorite in Newsome. We should have our King replacement right out the gate.

#42 – Rondale Moore – Wide Receiver - Purdue

Rondale Moore as of today is the only WR to confirm a Green Bay interview – bucking the trend Gute has shown interest only in fellas over 6 foot tall. Moore isn’t just an undersized typical wideout though – dude is a freaking big play waiting to break lose whenever he has the ball. MLF’s system with this chess piece would be impossible to plan against – Gute gives up Our #62 and a 3rd in 2022 – but he got a one of kind weapon he has shown interest in and is unlike any other weapon Green Bay has ever had in recent memory.

#92 – Alim McNeil – iDL – NC State

This dude is special. Watch all you can of him and I dare you to attempt to find a glaring weakness, yes he has areas to grow and polish – but holes, there are none. The organization loves him, and at this point in the draft I have him and Osa as the two to target. We get Clark help!

#135 – Daelin Hayes – EDGE/OLB – Notre Dame

I’ve written about him previously, his frame is special and his ceiling appears high. Senior Bowl brought attention I’d said as an Irish fan he was deserving of. Awesome depth piece for now and possibly more if Preston is cut.

#142 – Javian Hawkins – RB – Louisville

In researching Tutu, Javian kept catching my eye more and more. An excellent change of pace pairing with Dillon that has a chance to help us not miss a beat production wise after the sad departure of Jones and possibly Williams.

#174 – Josh Imatobhebhe – WR – Illinois

Tall, more prototypical Gute-ish WR, with quite possibly some of the most raw athletic abilities inside the draft at receiver. Has never had a system or a QB to help him shine, but has delivered when called upon and is the perfect Day 3 flyer on a team that the future WR room beyond 2021 is WIDE OPEN.

#178 – Thomas Graham Jr – CB – Oregon

Graham is that mid-tier cornerback that some film you watch screams Day 2 lock…then you see plays that can scream otherwise. However, as his college career progressed it is clear this dude is a technician and between his very fast hips and reliance on technique he can/should easily grow into an NFL rostered CB minimum, and possibly someday earn a starting role in sub packages.

#215 – Garret Wallow – ILB – TCU

A safety in high school, he brings passing coverage anticipation some ILB just don’t quite have. Built on the lighter side, he still shows tenacity in attacking ball carriers. Despite being an ex-safety he does seem to rely on being in position to hit the receiver perfectly, but rarely plays the ball in the air as one would imagine.

#221 – Jimmy Morrissey – iOL/Center – Pittsburgh

Has Packer type guy written all over him, fought into the starting Center role as a walk-on. Has nearly the exact same frame as Linsley and while his brute strength can be built upon and his anchor refined – his technique however is how he wins continually. Coaches dream there, as strength can be improved with conditioning programs, but to have technique already as a strength is priceless.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have stuck with Little. I can't see the Packers not adding serious talent at RT. Turner at Guard is fine, but a real playmaker is needed at RT.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have stuck with Little. I can't see the Packers not adding serious talent at RT. Turner at Guard is fine, but a real playmaker is needed at RT.
No true disagreement here

Little is a dice roll to be there still at 135 and wasn't in this mock. I believe Gute wants to add OL 100%, but I also believe they're very confident in the foundation they've built and may tackle it with vets like a cheap Lane Taylor roll again + another and target late round picks.

#135 is our last chance IMO to grab a guy that can come in and start for sure...well not for sure but it is where I cut my "sure" opinion list off and it is Hainsey and Little being my final two Tackles that I believe a surefire starters - albeit one could go LT (Little) while the other I feel has a RT or interior future.

Members online

Latest posts