Lacy doesn't want to get into reason for benching

Sky King

Reaction score
Packers coach Mike McCarthy has put running back Eddie Lacy on notice. "He's got a lot of work to do," McCarthy said. "His offseason last year was not good enough and he never recovered from it. He cannot play at the weight he played at this year."

as if there were any doubts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...thy-tells-eddie-lacy-to-shape-up-or-ship-out/

what the crap, osponge. how did we both simultaneously dredge up this old topic?! lolol
posted like 1/2 second after you and happened to pick this old thread to do it too

Were you guys standing in line with Lacy at an all-you-can-eat buffet this afternoon?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching that long run of his was almost brutal. He broke a few tackles and got a big gain but you put almost any other running back in that position and they get the touchdown. I have to imagine weight killed his stamina.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4.1 YPC is not bad but he was terribly inconsistent this year and that's what made it a disappointing year for me. Every back gets tackled for losses occasionally but Lacy seemed to do it more often than not this year. his first two seasons, for the first time in a long time I felt that if we had a 3rd and 2 or even 3 we could take a chance and run the ball. Not so this year. I always felt that Eddie could possibly break one for 5 or 10 yards so I didn't mind the 1st and 2nd down carries but never did I feel confident that he could get 2 when we needed it if that makes sense. A better off season and hopefully he comes back to the old Eddie. He may have cost himself an early extension by his performance this year. If he would have had a third year like the first two Ted may have extended him this off season but now I think he will take a wait and see approach.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4.1 YPC is not bad but he was terribly inconsistent this year and that's what made it a disappointing year for me. Every back gets tackled for losses occasionally but Lacy seemed to do it more often than not this year. his first two seasons, for the first time in a long time I felt that if we had a 3rd and 2 or even 3 we could take a chance and run the ball. Not so this year. I always felt that Eddie could possibly break one for 5 or 10 yards so I didn't mind the 1st and 2nd down carries but never did I feel confident that he could get 2 when we needed it if that makes sense. A better off season and hopefully he comes back to the old Eddie. He may have cost himself an early extension by his performance this year. If he would have had a third year like the first two Ted may have extended him this off season but now I think he will take a wait and see approach.

I'm perfectly fine with him not getting extended yet. I like lacy as much or more than the next guy, but he has to earn this next contract because it's unsat how he came in this year and it was obvious his weight was effecting his play. I'm not questioning his dedication to football yet, but there were some that questioned his passion for the game around the time he was being drafted. Showing up so overweight kind of gives a bit of merit to that accusation imo. I really hope all that is overblown and we get a lighter quicker, more explosive lacy next season. I'll be rooting for him.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll get his **** together this offseason and come back rejuvenated.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers coach Mike McCarthy has put running back Eddie Lacy on notice. "He's got a lot of work to do," McCarthy said. "His offseason last year was not good enough and he never recovered from it. He cannot play at the weight he played at this year."
So what did MM do about it in camp forward?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait a second, I was told by many knowledgeable posters that there was 100% NOT an issue with his weight! Am I now to believe that Lacy didn't just LOOK like a guard this year, that he was in fact too heavy and wasn't simply strapping balloons to his tummy under his jersey?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what did MM do about it in camp forward?

Didn't give him as many carries and let Starks carry the ball a lot. Not sure coaches have the authority to order liposuction or force a player to eat certain things; yet another way the current CBA has failed us fans...

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4.1 ypc ranked 23rd in the NFL this season of all RB's with 100+ carries. It's not good for a guy who should be considered one of the best RB's in the NFL. With his make up, even if he dropped 15-20 lbs, and the way he can carry defenders, he should be up closer to 5 ypc. He had a bad year there's not other way to spin it.

Starks averaged 4.1 ypc on 40 less attempts just to put that into perspective a little.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4.1 ypc ranked 23rd in the NFL this season of all RB's with 100+ carries. It's not good for a guy who should be considered one of the best RB's in the NFL. With his make up, even if he dropped 15-20 lbs, and the way he can carry defenders, he should be up closer to 5 ypc. He had a bad year there's not other way to spin it.

Starks averaged 4.1 ypc on 40 less attempts just to put that into perspective a little.

First of all an average is an average. If Starks averages 4.1 yards per carry and had as many carries as Lacy they would have the same number of yards so Starks averaging 4.1 YPC on 40 less attempts puts nothing in perspective.

Second in 2013 he had 284 carries for 1178 yards (4.1 ypc) in 2014 he had 246 carries for 1139 yards (4.6) that's an average of 265 carries per season at roughly 4.4 ypc.

in 2015 he had just 187 carries. Almost 100 less than his rookie year and almost 60 less than last year and about 80 less than than the 2 year average. If you give him 80 more carries at 4.1 YPC that's 1086 yards. Give him 327 attempts like Peterson had and he has 1340 yards. A pretty good year. 11 of the 22 who finished above him in YPC had 4.5 averages or less. IMO that's not really significant. At 12 carries a game that's only about 5 yards.

It was certainly a down year and a disappointing year but given the fact he only had about 12 attempts per game I don't really consider it a bad year. My biggest disappointment in Lacy this year, like I said, was his inconsistency and the fact that I didn't trust him to pick up 2 yards whenever we needed it. In his first two years I always felt like running him on short yardage was an option this year I didn't really get that feeling.

The bottom line is he does have to do something this offseason to come into camp in better shape. If he does lose some weight and get some conditioning work in I don't see any reason why he can't turn it around.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No pun intended but I don't think Lacy is hungry anymore. When he was a fresh faced rookie, he was eager to go out and prove his worth. What happened? Offensive Rookie of the Year. Then he got complacent and thought that he could do whatever he wanted because he was the golden boy of the RB. MM called shenanigans on that the other day. Don't be surprised if Lacy comes into OTAs and training camp looking like a monster.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No pun intended but I don't think Lacy is hungry anymore. When he was a fresh faced rookie, he was eager to go out and prove his worth. What happened? Offensive Rookie of the Year. Then he got complacent and thought that he could do whatever he wanted because he was the golden boy of the RB. MM called shenanigans on that the other day. Don't be surprised if Lacy comes into OTAs and training camp looking like a monster.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lacy just decides to call it quits.

D

Deleted member 6794

The biggest difference with Lacy this season was him not getting as many carries. It´s possible a lack of conditioning was responsible for it but when touching the ball he didn´t perform any worse than during his rookie season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never figured out how to format in forums, so the link is http://www.nfl.com/player/eddielacy/2540168/profile

True that the average YPC is the same, but virtually everything else was better in 2013

Rushing Receiving Fumbles

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2015 Green Bay Packers 15 12 187 758 4.1 29 3 20 188 9.4 28T 2 4 2

2014 Green Bay Packers 16 16 246 1,139 4.6 44T 9 42 427 10.2 67 4 3 2

2013 Green Bay Packers 15 15 284 1,178 4.1 60 11 35 257 7.3 34 0 1 1

TOTAL 717 3,075 4.3 60 23 97 872 9.0 67 6 8 5

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy telling anybody to lose weight is shameful.
What about Belichick? Would it be shameful if he told a player to get in better shape? How about the majority of other HCs in the league? Shameful for them too?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What about Belichick? Would it be shameful if he told a player to get in better shape? How about the majority of other HCs in the league? Shameful for them too?

I always thought a prerequisite to becoming a head coach in the NFL is to have a pear shaped body?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I always thought a prerequisite to becoming a head coach in the NFL is to have a pear shaped body?
It's the rule but apparently only the exceptions can insist their players be in shape.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be highly dubious about offering Lacy a long-term contract under any circumstances. Even if he reports next year at a svelte 230 lbs and puts up a 6 yard average I don't know if I would offer him a big contract. He just seems to be the exact kind of guy who would get his big paycheck and then mail it in.

Latest posts