Lacy doesn't want to get into reason for benching

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest difference with Lacy this season was him not getting as many carries. It´s possible a lack of conditioning was responsible for it but when touching the ball he didn´t perform any worse than during his rookie season.
He clearly regressed this year. And he was a better RB his rookie season. The biggest reason he didn't get as many carries was his poor conditioning. He was still huffing and puffing on the sideline a good minute and a half after his long run. It shouldn't take a professional athlete 2 minutes to catch his breath after a 70 yard dash.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is he does have to do something this offseason to come into camp in better shape. If he does lose some weight and get some conditioning work in I don't see any reason why he can't turn it around.

But as a GM would you confident enough in his ability to stay in shape to offer him a premier contract? I'm thinking no, I'm not risking that kind of money.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be highly dubious about offering Lacy a long-term contract under any circumstances. Even if he reports next year at a svelte 230 lbs and puts up a 6 yard average I don't know if I would offer him a big contract. He just seems to be the exact kind of guy who would get his big paycheck and then mail it in.

lol Please. You don't think the Packers wouldn't consider that when making him an offer? Ifhe gets another contract it will be heavily incentive based to motivate him (as if being the laughingstock of RBs in the NFL isn't motivation enough).

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here able to speak to what is takes to keep a body in peak physical condition when you maybe just don't have the metabolism or genetics for it? I have to hope he's not just stuffing junk food down his gullet and that he is working out regularly, but it's clearly not enough, so I wonder how much of his conditioning is lack of effort and how much is just his body not cooperating. That'd be a tough position to be in.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here able to speak to what is takes to keep a body in peak physical condition when you maybe just don't have the metabolism or genetics for it? I have to hope he's not just stuffing junk food down his gullet and that he is working out regularly, but it's clearly not enough, so I wonder how much of his conditioning is lack of effort and how much is just his body not cooperating. That'd be a tough position to be in.
I say lack of effort, or poor diet. With as much as his body has to go through physically, all he'd need to do is cut out some carbs and the weight would take care of itself.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol Please. You don't think the Packers wouldn't consider that when making him an offer? Ifhe gets another contract it will be heavily incentive based to motivate him (as if being the laughingstock of RBs in the NFL isn't motivation enough).
I didn't say anything about what the Packers would or wouldn't consider.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lacy's contract could actually be a very tricky one due to trying to guess who they are resigning (2015 Lacy or 2014 Lacy). If Lacy is in better shape , which I fully expect him to be and goes back to the promising back we saw, a low ball offer will get his agent telling him to wait. As the season goes on, his market value could very well rise beyond what the Packers might want to gamble on paying him.

As Wynnbeck pointed out, the Packers smart move is a heavy incentive based contract. One, that IMO would be good to offer him sooner then later.

Last edited:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was still huffing and puffing on the sideline a good minute and a half after his long run. It shouldn't take a professional athlete 2 minutes to catch his breath after a 70 yard dash.
Besides his poor physical conditioning, his asthma needs to be taken into account as well.
Believe me, it's a struggle to catch a breath at times when you are sedentary let alone running 70 yards.
At any rate I'm against giving a running back a large second contract unless he is a Peterson, Sanders or Sayers.

Sky King

Reaction score
Lacy looks like a potential short-timer for this roster, maybe even more so than a typical short-careered RB. Failing to finish-off that run against the Cardinals may end up being prophetic of his career. That was a golden opportunity wasted.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lacy looks like a potential short-timer for this roster, maybe even more so than a typical short-careered RB. Failing to finish-off that run against the Cardinals may end up being prophetic of his career. That was a golden opportunity wasted.
Finishing that run is no different than any of his long runs in his career. He ain't ever been the fastest horse in the barn. More of a plugger.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I saw Lacy today on his new training regiment. He was running through the McDonald's drive-up to get his lunch!

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides his poor physical conditioning, his asthma needs to be taken into account as well.
Believe me, it's a struggle to catch a breath at times when you are sedentary let alone running 70 yards.
At any rate I'm against giving a running back a large second contract unless he is a Peterson, Sanders or Sayers.

He had asthma 2 years ago too and he was able to play more snaps.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't give him as many carries and let Starks carry the ball a lot. Not sure coaches have the authority to order liposuction or force a player to eat certain things; yet another way the current CBA has failed us fans...
Nothing in the CBA protecting fat RBs. Some coaches demand training. Some demand specific weights. Some demand these things year round. I understand MM's lack of discipline. Too well. He talks about Lacey's lack of responsibility like he, MM, has no discipline or leadership role.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere not sure if real or fake that his GF said he would sneak out at night and get a bucket of KFC chicken

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy needs to figure out if this is what he really wants to do, and rededicate himself accordingly. If he continues on his current path, he'll be out of the game in a couple of years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Lacy needs to figure out if this is what he really wants to do, and rededicate himself accordingly. If he continues on his current path, he'll be out of the game in a couple of years.
Give him a chance to put to use that fine 'bama education. What was his degree in anyway?

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, McCarthy needing to tell anybody to lose weight is shameful.
No, McCarthy needing to publicly announce to the whole world that he told one of his players to lose weight is classless and pointless now. As if it hasn't been obvious to us all for most of the season. As if Lacy hasn't heard or read every fat joke under the sun. Telling him behind closed doors wasn't enough? Oh yah, I forgot, then he wouldn't have been able to show the world that he's mad and he means business.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are points worth pondering , MadCat. What pissed me off in his presser was the comment, "We're not afraid to talk about winning championships around here". That's the problem, Mike. It's all talk.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy's contract could actually be a very tricky one due to trying to guess who they are resigning (2015 Lacy or 2014 Lacy). If Lacy is in better shape , which I fully expect him to be and goes back to the promising back we saw, a low ball offer will get his agent telling him to wait. As the season goes on, his market value could very well rise beyond what the Packers might want to gamble on paying him.

As Wynnbeck pointed out, the Packers smart move is a heavy incentive based contract. One, that IMO would be good to offer him sooner then later.

There are very few heavily incentive based contracts in the NFL in part because of the salary cap ramifications. Teams kinda like to know what they will be faced with with the cap. Giving a player a heavily incentive based deal could mean several million in unexpected cap space next season. For a team that likes a big cap cushion like the Packers it may not be such a big deal but for a cap strapped team it could mean losing a star or promising young player. Incentives are good for older players who are expected to be on the decline but for young players like Lacy I think it less likely. I'm not saying that's how it should be just that its how I see it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing in the CBA protecting fat RBs. Some coaches demand training. Some demand specific weights. Some demand these things year round. I understand MM's lack of discipline. Too well. He talks about Lacey's lack of responsibility like he, MM, has no discipline or leadership role.

So McCarthy should have done what? Not let Lacey play any snaps at all? I mean, he cut back on Lacey's snaps quite a bit and let Starks carry the ball. What else, in the face of a player flat out not getting to camp in shape, should the coach do? You say "demand" like that's a magic word a coach uses to make something automatically happen. Lacey showed up overweight. What else should McCarthy have done?

I really need to work on the sarcasm button...my "CBA has failed us" comment was meant to lament that the CBA doesn't allow the coaches to control every portion of a player's life down to actually telling a player what he will be eating.

Members online

Latest posts