Lacy doesn't want to get into reason for benching

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
One guy gets cut and another semi-benched. I realize you don't cut Lacy, but would have been more impressed with coaching if they had made him inactive. Maybe Lacy was the designated driver?
THAT woulda been a big gamble. Starks and a guy you brought off the practice squad 6 hours b4 game time as your only RBs? Maybe not playing him at all would also have been effective.

D

Deleted member 6794

Meaning he's gotten fat and he's having problems with change of direction and making his cuts. He looks sloppy and slow.

Lacy didn't look sloppy or slow to me running for a combined 205 yards on 39 carries (5.3 avg.) against the Vikings and Lions the previous two weeks.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at least he was motivated enough to fly to Georgia and get some practice reps in during the SEC Championship.....practice standing on the sidelines. Practice like you play Big Ed!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
at least he was motivated enough to fly to Georgia and get some practice reps in during the SEC Championship.....practice standing on the sidelines. Practice like you play Big Ed!!!

To his defense---MM gave the team off entire weekend.

I am pretty sure I heard that Eddy was approved by coaches to get away...I think Peppers also left the town.. A few others as well..

I dont agree with going away when there are many issue, BUT maybe this is something that individual players needed..Maybe heads need a two day break just to re charge? Lord knows we ALL need those types of times

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a weirder development. Harris is not being brought back to the PS even though the team likes him because he is a bad influence on Lacy. Very strange things are afoot with and around Big Ed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In a weirder development. Harris is not being brought back to the PS even though the team likes him because he is a bad influence on Lacy. Very strange things are afoot with and around Big Ed.

This may start the process of things being fixed??

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so but what the heck was he doing to him? Drinking buddy? Smoking buddy? Video game buddy? Combo of 2 and 3? I can't imagine that with his asthma but who knows.

Pucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Lacy is in the doghouse (or not a big one), or he wouldn't have seen any action. Have to then assume an injury of some sort that maybe nobody was sure of, which is why Crockett was not only promoted but active.
I don't think it's injury related. I think it's attitude and disciplinary actions taken by McCarthy. They let go of Harris but have too much invested in Lacy to do the same. Things are about to get very interesting in Packer Land.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope so but what the heck was he doing to him? Drinking buddy? Smoking buddy? Video game buddy? Combo of 2 and 3? I can't imagine that with his asthma but who knows.

For those that say there is no accountability, they now know there is.

I am pretty sure this was in the works for a bit, they finally had enough. If Adams continues with his issues, see him be the next

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn wrote the article about the TT and McCarthy not cutting players....and then bam. They cut Harris, demote Lacy, and bring in Montee Ball and four other WRs for workouts. Losing your paycheck motivates 98% of the population.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We can guess why Harris received the maximum punishment for missing curfew but until someone close to the situation leaks it, we just won’t know. My first guess for Lacy’s limited snaps was he fumbled in practice. That was obviously wrong, but why let being wrong prevent another guess? :D So here it is: I think it’s likely whatever the circumstances, part of the reason to cut Harris was to send a message to the rest of the team. The best way to reinforce the idea that you can lose your job if you aren’t completely dedicated is to cut someone who wasn’t. Of course it would have been a better message if only Harris missed the curfew, but it is hardly news to NFL players that stars/starters get more “second” chances than others.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing they were each other's wing men and they were hitting the clubs looking for gals. Pretty sure there were more eligible black women in Detroit than GB and they let something other than their brains do the thinking. :(. TT/MM took away Lacy's carousing-pal hoping he re-focuses on his job. Too bad Oprah's not still on TV for him to try finding a girlfriend (e.g. Dorsey Levens).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The articles I have read about this seem to point to the Packers cutting Alonzo Harris as a means to remove an off field distraction from Lacy as well as to send a message to the team. Whether there were more instances of Harris possibly being a bad influence on his friend Lacy, we may never know, but the curfew instance seems to be the tipping point where management said "enough is enough we need to send a message as well as try to refocus Eddie."

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, why would they come to the determination that Harris was a bad influence if there weren't many more examples of this type of behavior. Hopefully the damage is not done and Lacy can turn himself around. Where is the mentorship and leadership of veteran players? You would think that as important as Lacy is to this offense, someone would have stepped up and said something.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Where is the mentorship and leadership of veteran players? You would think that as important as Lacy is to this offense, someone would have stepped up and said something.
As of early Sept. GB was the 3rd youngest team, average age 25.49.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age/

For every 30+ yr. old vet (Peppers, Jones, Kuhn, Crosby, AR, Goode) there are 4+ under-26 yr. olds. I'm sure there IS some mentoring and vet leadership happening, but have a suspicion that those 2 weren't listening, which is why AR went public with his lack-of-preparation comments. I'm also guessing that this has been a continual problem with those 2 guys (and maybe a few others).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn wrote the article about the TT and McCarthy not cutting players....and then bam. They cut Harris, demote Lacy, and bring in Montee Ball and four other WRs for workouts. Losing your paycheck motivates 98% of the population.

Unfortunately, the only guy in that group that we care about doesn't lose a dollar this year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and that's why they cut Harris. The cost was barely a blip on the radar. Cutting Lacy would have been a more noticeable cap hit and he is also not a total loss. He just needs better focus right now.

If one was into conspiracy theories, they could postulate that Harris intentionally took Lacy out hoping that would lead to more playing time for himself. I'm just making stuff up though...

I do remember reading a post-training camp report about Harris and his family hearing about him making the roster, his thankfulness, etc. Found it (see below). The guy has a 2-year-old son. Tough to lose your job for being stupid, especially when you've got dependents:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...onzo-harris-family-b99571475z1-325218141.html

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If one was into conspiracy theories, they could postulate that Harris intentionally took Lacy out hoping that would lead to more playing time for himself. I'm just making stuff up though...

I prefer the one I heard.......Harris told Eddie that Dunkin Donuts was giving away free donuts and asked him if he wanted to go. However, they never made it there and somehow Harris convinced Eddie to hang out with him past curfew.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the one I heard.......Harris told Eddie that Dunkin Donuts was giving away free donuts and asked him if he wanted to go. However, they never made it there and somehow Harris convinced Eddie to hang out with him past curfew.
Dunkin Donuts makes the most sense. They forgot to feed the coach when they got back.

D

Deleted member 6794

How has he looked in the other 10 games?

There's no doubt he hasn't performed up to the level of his first two seasons with the Packers. His weight isn't one of the reasons for it though as he has proved to be productive vs. the Vikings and Bears.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's weird, but something is weird about this whole situation--both weird and junior high-ish. But just because these are big guys who play football well and make lots of money does not mean they are emotionally mature and can avoid "bad influences" on their own.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's weird, but something is weird about this whole situation--both weird and junior high-ish. But just because these are big guys who play football well and make lots of money does not mean they are emotionally mature and can avoid "bad influences" on their own.

I guess I would rather hear about guys missing curfew then ones beating up their girlfriends, shooting guns in public, drugs, etc. Sadly, nothing seems too strange anymore when it comes to off the field behavior in the No Freakin Logic club.