Lacy doesn't want to get into reason for benching

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy who invented P90X is offering to get Eddie Lacy into shape
By John Breech | CBSSports.com
January 26, 2016 2:38 pm ET The creator of P90X definitely knows a marketing opportunity when he sees one.
Ray Horton, the man behind the grueling 90-day home fitness system, is offering to do the impossible: He wants to help get Eddie Lacy into shape.
If the Packers running back wants to keep his job, then he should probably take Horton up on the offer because based on what Mike McCarthy said last week, an overweight Eddie Lacy probably won't make Green Bay's 2016 roster.
"He's got a lot of work to do," McCarthy said on Jan. 18. "His offseason last year was not good enough and he never recovered from it. He cannot play at the weight he played at this year."
According to TMZ, Lacy's people have already reached out to Horton about getting the two together.
"My job will be to get the weight off and help him eat better," Horton said.
Getting Lacy to eat better might not be easy though, because this is a guy who loves his "China Food."

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So McCarthy should have done what? Not let Lacey play any snaps at all? I mean, he cut back on Lacey's snaps quite a bit and let Starks carry the ball. What else, in the face of a player flat out not getting to camp in shape, should the coach do? You say "demand" like that's a magic word a coach uses to make something automatically happen. Lacey showed up overweight. What else should McCarthy have done?

I really need to work on the sarcasm button...my "CBA has failed us" comment was meant to lament that the CBA doesn't allow the coaches to control every portion of a player's life down to actually telling a player what he will be eating.
So MM lost touch with Lacey all off-season? And the CBA protects fat RBs. MM has no authority. Obesity rules. I see.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here able to speak to what is takes to keep a body in peak physical condition when you maybe just don't have the metabolism or genetics for it? I have to hope he's not just stuffing junk food down his gullet and that he is working out regularly, but it's clearly not enough, so I wonder how much of his conditioning is lack of effort and how much is just his body not cooperating. That'd be a tough position to be in.
How about a coach who demands discipline? Don't complicate it. REview Lombardi.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a coach who demands discipline? Don't complicate it. REview Lombardi.

Its not complicating the issue to point out that some people have a very hard time controlling their weight. It's so common it would be simplifying the issue if anything.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL should work on more reasonable (read lesser) 'guaranteed' and more enhanced performance related pay structure. Or may they just should set a limit on guaranteed across all teams.

Will provide a lot more incentive for players not to waste themselves off season imo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, you just demand it, it's how life works :) I gotta ask though, did you ever even achieve your high school conference championship that you "demanded"?

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not complicating the issue to point out that some people have a very hard time controlling their weight. It's so common it would be simplifying the issue if anything.
The'y' have a much easier time if the coach makes it plain that Eddy plays at 230 or not at all.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, you just demand it, it's how life works :) I gotta ask though, did you ever even achieve your high school conference championship that you "demanded"?
How did you know?! :)

But do this: REview Lombardi's demands.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL should work on more reasonable (read lesser) 'guaranteed' and more enhanced performance related pay structure. Or may they just should set a limit on guaranteed across all teams.

Will provide a lot more incentive for players not to waste themselves off season imo.
$MILLIONS are incentive if not love of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi had to play a still drunk and hung over McGee in a Super Bowl. I have to believe that even back then, coaches demanded players behave slightly better than that in those situations. So, there goes that theory

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So MM lost touch with Lacey all off-season? And the CBA protects fat RBs. MM has no authority. Obesity rules. I see.

Detecting an undercurrent of sarcasm, might be wrong though...rather than respond as above, how do YOU think McCarthy should have handled it? Considering that there is nothing that McCarthy can do to Lacey to promote healthy eating outside of cutting his snaps (which he did). Do you think McCarthy should have hired some people to randomly punch Lacey whenever he stopped for fast food? Just some shadowy guys off the street that would follow him around wherever he went?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detecting an undercurrent of sarcasm, might be wrong though...rather than respond as above, how do YOU think McCarthy should have handled it? Considering that there is nothing that McCarthy can do to Lacey to promote healthy eating outside of cutting his snaps (which he did). Do you think McCarthy should have hired some people to randomly punch Lacey whenever he stopped for fast food? Just some shadowy guys off the street that would follow him around wherever he went?
You just gotta demand it, Sunshine! Btw, have you reviewed Lombardi's demands? Now, that was a coach!

D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL is already the only league not having fully guaranteed contracts, no way the PA would allow even less guarantees.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers reportedly want Lacy to lose 30 lbs. this offseason.

Have to wonder if that would get him down to his listed 234 from 264 or down to 204? Probably somewhere in the middle....since I seriously doubt he was at 234 at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see if Eddie can do it and how the results effect the product he puts on the field.

So if he loses all this weight in a contract year, will he be "hungry" or just starving?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I guarantee you GB could care less if Lacy loses actual weight on the scale. They want him leaner and better conditioned...may not necessarily result in pounds lost depending on workout regime.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hope Ed actually loses the lbs. It'd be a shame to see a promising career fade away.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm excited about the possibility of Eddie and the P90x training thing with Tony Horton. Horton is a fantastic marketer and it is my hope that he sees this opportunity with Eddie as just that, a great way to market his product. But in order to have that effect, Eddie's results depend on it......so let's hope they work something out and Tony puts all he has into getting Eddie into shape.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly I guarantee you GB could care less if Lacy loses actual weight on the scale. They want him leaner and better conditioned...may not necessarily result in pounds lost depending on workout regime.

There´s no doubt that Lacy has to lose some weight this offseason, otherwise it would be impossible for him to be leaner and better conditioned entering next season.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn
Back when he first joined the team he stated in one of those "Get to know..." articles that he loved his Momma's cooking. So it seems. :D

Lacy went to school in LA. With all that gumbo and jambalaya flowing, I'm surprisedh

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the guy just stops eating carbs, he'll drop that weight easy. I dropped 40lbs in about 4.5 months lat year, even with an extremely messed up back which put severe limits on exercise. Ketosis makes your body run lime it's on a nuclear reactor, lacy will be able to train like a mad man.

If I recall, before the draft, many questioned lady's attitude and desire to be great, and if he actually loved football. This season gave credence to that type of talk. I hope it serves as a wake up call for Eddie... Everything he accomplished so early could go away very quickly if he blows this opportunity.

Members online

Latest posts